Alexis Bledel Also Disliked Rory

For most people, the biggest disappointment in Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life was Rory. She repeated the same mistakes over and over. She was spoiled and lacked ambition. She simply stopped trying. It wasn’t the Rory we had come to know, respect or aim to be. She was no longer driven and powerful.

It turns out, Alexis Bledel was also disappointed in Rory.

“It certainly wasn’t the ending I expected…”

“I had told [creator] Amy [Sherman-Palladino] that I hoped Rory would end on a high note after all of her hard work,” she explained. “I wanted to see her succeed and be thriving. So it was a hard thing for me to digest.”

Of course, the ending was its own twist, one that doesn’t spell out success or lack thereof, but Alexis says that Amy Sherman-Palladino was “delighted” to throw a “curveball” at the audience with that twist.

36 thoughts on “Alexis Bledel Also Disliked Rory

• April 23, 2017 at 3:25 pm

The revival was such a flop for me. Lorelai and Luke were in the same place as season 6 with her choosing to not have a voice in the relationship. I though she got over that when they broke up. Same with Rory, it was just rehashing the same party aimless life with Logan. Again, I thought that was sorted when Jess had it out with her. Seriously, the writers were like we didn’t get to do everything we wanted to in season 6 so we are just going to play those themes out again. To not progress the characters or have them endure different life events was a big middle finger to the fans.

• April 24, 2017 at 11:05 am

I am so in agreement with you. I haven’t even been tempted to watch AYITL again after the first viewing. It was just as bad as season 6 was, maybe worse.

• May 25, 2017 at 10:25 am

rkb, I know what you mean. There were a few good moments in AYITL, like the Jess-Luke-Rory-Lorelai-Kirk scene in the Fall. Rest was as bad as some teen series people watch nowdays: oops, i slept with wookie or i’m pregnant and dad is my ex who’s engaged. I expected more from ASP, because she said at ATX festival that she didn’t want Rory to be drunk and sleep with guys in original series so why now… what changed,ASP? I felt like she wanted to ruin Rory. We all loved the original series and Rory’s ambition to become a career woman.

• April 23, 2017 at 3:35 pm

for me, it just did not fit as Rory had dumped Logan and was going on the Obama campaign as a journalist at the end of the series. We should have been shown why she had failed. IF we had learned she found out she was PG the summer of 2007 and had to leave the campaign to have a baby and had not been able to get another great break as a journalist, it would have made sense.

• April 23, 2017 at 5:49 pm

My biggest disappointment was the totally unneeded musical. It was totally pointless and just awful. I’ve watch the 4 seasons 3 times (I’m a GG junkie) and skipped the musical 2 times. Rory’s character was disappointing because she was so driven to succeed and they never told us why she was on a downward spiral but the wedding was SPECTACULAR except Sookie wasn’t there. She deserved a better part

• June 10, 2017 at 4:54 pm

I agree. The musical was a complete waste of time and I really don’t understand its purpose. If the point of it was to have that song where Lorelai breaks down, it was an extremely painful way (for the viewers eyes and ears) to get to that point of the story.

• April 23, 2017 at 6:03 pm

I hated the whole new movie! Luke and Lorelai did not have a normal wedding that we could all enjoy. That awful musical was stupid! I was so hoping she would get back with Jess. The ending was not at all what I expected.

• July 24, 2017 at 5:57 am

Exactly! In previous episodes, each time Lorelai mentions Lewis Carroll she clearly shows she’s not a fan…Also, we know how much she liked the idea of a beautiful wedding dress and yellow daisies, so why take that out? :( It was just wrong.

• April 23, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Why are people giving up on the entire season~ they just came back ~so you have some twists and turns, that’s what makes this story so interesting all of the time we twists and turns through and come out on the other side in a better place ~give it some time people you’re all too knowing.

• June 5, 2017 at 7:14 pm

I agree with this one hundred percent!
      It was no different from the series… Some good, some a little boring, some UNBELIEVABLE!!!
      I’m a GG junkie and I know the series backwards….
      I understood it all
      I LOVED seeing everyone again,
      They all picked up their roles after so long and they did a fabulous job….
      They gave us more!!!!
      Isn’t that what we all wanted?
      PLEASE give us more, I will never tire of that town.

• April 23, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Of course, she was delighted to throw that curve ball. It’s too bad she couldn’t for see that she sacrificed her beloved characters just to finally complete an ending she envisioned years ago. Mind you, an ending that no longer fit the characters.

Rory and Lorelai deserved better than what the revival gave them.

• April 23, 2017 at 11:35 pm

I hope for a new season I’m still in love with the Girlmore Girls and maby the next one I hope so with the same acteurs because they are great

• April 24, 2017 at 1:09 am

I didn’t like what they did to Emily. I know she was in mourning,but she would never have allowed her housekeeper, cook, or any staff to run her house. She was an alpha female. She always had control. She might have slipped a little,but they changed her personality Entirely.

• April 26, 2017 at 8:10 pm

I totally have to agree with you. The Emily storyline was a little off for me. The mourning part, I get. But you are right, they changed her drastically. Selling off antiques she took years to collect, the whole thing with her staff that you mentioned, selling the house….that house, and then moving far away from the only family she had. I’m not so sure if she was supposed to be dating that guy or not. I do like that they relaxed her a bit, but they stripped away so much.

• April 24, 2017 at 4:40 am

I agree with the other comments. I am a big fan and was extremely disappointed. Lorelai and Luke weren’t married and Rory was lost and boring. It was a let down.

• April 24, 2017 at 6:41 am

I thought this reunion of cast was very creative with the seasonal approach…I watched it and when it ended I assumed there would be another sequel…just like life. It had quirkiness of characters revisited, that small town caring and new little challenges to expand on or bring to a resolve…the ending just opened doors for life to grow and continue…for the writers to come together and lay out the next phase of life was quite an undertaking and I am thankful…PLEASE ENCOURAGE THE ACTORS AND PRODUCERS TO BRING US ANOTHER COLLECTION TO THIS HEARTFELT CLASSIC!

• June 5, 2017 at 7:16 pm

I second that!!

• April 24, 2017 at 10:01 am

It’s like she wasn’t even the same person. Where was the girl who carried a book with her everywhere she went and worked hard and took on challenges? I did not like the redo as a whole, although I did enjoy seeing all the town characters again.

• April 24, 2017 at 11:09 am

If she was that disappointed in where the direction of her character, why did she choose to participate at all. If they got the chance to have any type of script preview before signing on, then I’m sad to say that the main actors sold out for a paycheck. The only exception being the Emily character, since hers was the only one that ASP was forced to write new material for due to Edward Hermann’s death. To me, the rest felt like a let’s-pick-up-where-we-left-off job, with no inclusion of some of the wonderful character growth that we saw in season 7.

• April 25, 2017 at 2:13 am

Blame the writer… she’s done nothing to confirm that girls can get ahead with a good education and rise above the irresponsible, adolescent one-night stand. Rory is 30 in this series. Why has no career path opened for her? The series seemed to be more about how unreliable and pointless, the upper class education Rory was very fortunate to acquire, has been. Each important character who received this education seemed to be failures in some respect despite the good cards of education and connections they’ve been dealt. Paris disappointed in her marriage and stressed out by her career and life, Rory jobless and treated like a freshly capped, powerless graduate searching for an internship and Logan – equally powerless & dependent on his father for work and who he should marry! Until this mini series I was impressed with the writer’s insightvinto the hypocracies of Anerica’s east coast Patrician class but this story-line is an even bigger indictment against the ways (hard work and a good education) to rise above the obstacles to advancement in place by a crafty Establishment.

• April 25, 2017 at 10:38 pm

rkb-

Suspect the actors had very little to do with and were left in the dark as to what the Pallidino’s were willing to write and once the contracts were signed it was too late to do anything about it. And since the actors had always figured there would be no additional writing after the way the program ended it was always easy for them to say of course they would be back if ASP wanted to do more. Thus they talked themselves into a corner and had to deliver or be labeled the villain in holding up more Gilmore Girls.

However, with the slap-dash illogical plotting in the revival they are now in a much better position to decline participation in any further storytelling on artistic grounds—

• April 26, 2017 at 8:12 pm

I must say, some wedding stuff confused me. It’s been a while since I’ve watched, so perhaps I’m remembering incorrectly. When they were making wedding plans, Luke had nobody he really wanted to invite. Really? Your daughter, Jess, Liz…and I can’t believe that after all the family drama and wanting to put things right, they got married without Emily there.

• April 27, 2017 at 10:00 am

It isn’t going to happen. They both owe their career to this show. They were more than fairly compensated last time around and figure the same will happen if ASP decides to write more.

• April 27, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Y-

Mostly agree, but tend to think the recent revival was their “paid in full” bow to the Pallidino’s who weren’t exactly on a hot streak and a reasonable farewell shout out to their fans. They may of course choose to be overly compensated if the opportunity again arises but I would not count on it as I doubt they need the payday that bad and might not want to risk turning previously iconic characters into mediocre caricatures better suited to daytime soap-operas–

• May 5, 2017 at 1:28 am

Are any of you really fans of GG?! I thought AYITL was brilliant from start to finish.

• May 28, 2017 at 9:49 am

It’s amazing to see all the complaints about this brilliant revival here. Pearls before swine…

• May 26, 2017 at 11:27 am

I still have to watch the revival… Not in a hurry though… The first 5 years were so great… Hopefully, they’ll make a new revival with a satisfying Rory… Won’t they?

• May 29, 2017 at 12:34 pm

The Sequel to Gilmore Girls was terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE!!!!
    Why did Amy Sherman Palladino wanted to insult the fans as she did?
    We were faithful for years and she spit to our faces, why?

• June 16, 2017 at 3:13 pm

In my mind, Rory has become like a sister… I mean, the Rory we had in the 5 first seasons, or more… In my imagination, now, she may have some choice I wouldn’t share, but she is blooming in any aspect of her life… Still don’t have watched the revival… Tried a lot, but disconnected every time, stopped watching, and forgot… for months…

• June 19, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Wow so much hate for the revival.
    Guess i have the opposite opinion on this in that I honestly LOVED the revival and yes I LOVED Rory even more than in the original series.
    I truly am flabbergasted that people think all characters need to be perfect and STAY perfect throughout the series and if they ever make a mistake of choose to do something that isn’t the greatest of choices they’re immediately SCORNED as being ruined and out of character.
    Everyone needs to remember that Rory is NOT Lorelai’s age and maturity. Rory is a 30 something kid who like so many people (myself included) is struggling to find her own voice and a place in her life that she is comfortable with. She’s no longer the big fish in the small sea. She’s a tadpole in this huge world…a writer no less which makes finding a job even harder as the industry is tough to get a foot into.
    Yes, Rory made a choice to continue to sleep with Logan knowing it was just casual. Yes, she was cheating on her own boyfriend whom she didn’t care about at all. Haven’t we all seen that kind of behavior before? From Rory’s own mother. That’s the point ASP was trying to make. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree and this has been going on since Rory chose to sleep with Dean while he was married. I tend to believe people just ignore those choices of keeping the Logan thing “Casual” of leading on Dean while chasing after Jess, of chasing after Dean despite ruining a marriage.
    The cliffhanger in the revival was a note by ASP saying “Rory’s story isn’t finished yet she’ll go down a similar path like her Mom.” Leaving everyone frustrated because they want MORE. They want to know how, what, when, now what? that’s the sign of a good series ender.

• June 19, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Maybe this thought is too harsh but I thought it’d be obvious….try watching the revival first before commenting on it. I’m just saying…

• August 9, 2017 at 6:43 pm

I LOOOVVVEEE GG. I own all seven seasons, but the revival SUCKED. I watched it one time and never watched it again. I was so disappointed in ALL of the characters.. It was just awful.

• August 21, 2017 at 11:50 pm

Buongiorno/Buonasera,

Vi scrivo dall’ Italia e Scusatemi ma non parlo l’ inglese.
    Sono una ‘storica Sophies’ o ‘Rogan’ (in termini più recenti: ‘Team Logan’).
    Volevo Solo esprimere il Mio Parere in merito a questa foto : <>

INFINE; PER CHI NON HA AVUTO MODO DI LEGGERLO SU ALTRI CANALI IL MIO PERSONALE (SENTIMENTALE E PROFESSIONALE) PERCORSO “SOPHIES”, CON UN CONTORNO DI RINGRAZIAMENTI FINALI.

<< Sono ‘Terribilmente’ in Ritardo sulla ‘Tabella di Marcia : Opinioni Gilmore Girls (GG)’Ma un po’ Non ho visto il Revival un po’ per una scelta personale faccio un limitato uso di social network o forme alternative. Dopo aver osservato attentamente non solo interviste/opinioni del cast Ma soprattutto opinioni dei fans (i più disparati devo dire ……..!!!)
    Ho pensato che, anche il parere di una ‘non più teenager Sophies’ come me, poteva aggiungere colore ad un già un variegato arcobaleno……………..
    Così : Ho Rotto il Silenzio dopo circa più di dieci anni e …: Sono ‘salita nella soffitta della mia mente’ ed ho rispolverato le motivazioni che mi spingevano a riorganizzare la mia quotidianità per vedere le puntate di GG soprattutto ‘Sophies’.

ED Eccomi Qua !!!!

Il Mio PERSONALE ‘Perché Sophies’ Sentimentale (i motivi sono divisi in punti, per comodità) e Professionale, con un “contorno” di Ringraziamenti Finali :

SENTIMENTALE :

1) MI PIACE MOLTO : Che l’ amore tra Rory e Logan li abbia Presi alla Sprovvista : Entrambi !!!
    E non è stato solo Logan a rimanere Inaspettatamente Innamorato Ma Anche Rory quando – per esempio – nella famosa scena : ‘Brutta Faccia da Merlo’ dice : <>
    E’ con <> che il terreno ‘sotto i piedi di Rory’ inizia a tremare ……….

2) ……..E da Qui ci colleghiamo al Mio 2° Motivo ‘Sophies’ : MI PIACE MOLTO : ..<..Come Logan abbia sconvolto il Mondo ‘Libri e Caffè’ ‘Stile ‘Stars Hollow’ di Rory …..!!!
    Non Dimenticherò Mai !!! La Faccia di Luke – perché troppo divertente – quando ha visto la ‘piccola Rory’ uscire dalla Limousine…… a Stars Hollow, Ah !!! Ah !!!

3) MI PIACE MOLTO : Quando Rory parla ‘Stile Gilmore’ (a raffica) e Logan la ascolta intervallando quei profondi respiri …….. come se volesse dire qualcosa ma non può o semplicemente non vuole………….. Che cosa vuoi dire Huntsberger ???!!!!

4) Ed é il punto 3) che mi permette di far emergere aspetti più caratteriali ……… MI PIACE MOLTO : Il Modo diplomatico – che a mio parere ha Logan – di ‘affacciarsi alla vita’ ossia saper cogliere le occasioni che si presentano e a tratti – addirittura – deridere la vita stessa. Questo modo è tipico degli imprenditori/capitalisti che osservano il mercato per poter individuare le opportunità e intervenire qualora lo ritengano adeguato.

Questo Suo Modo di essere Supporta il Carattere di Rory, che – diversamente da quello di Logan – la spinge o verso la razionalità o verso l’ istintività allontanandola, però, dagli obiettivi che veramente la interessano. E viceversa la sensibilità del modo di essere di Rory supporta il carattere di Logan addolcendolo e rendendolo più comprensivo nei confronti degli altri e nelle varie situazioni.

5) Analizziamo – ora – motivi meno profondi e più pratici…… MI PIACE MOLTO : Come Logan ha reso Rory una ragazza più moderna e le ha “aperto la mente” …………… E Si !!!!
    Perché anche a me piace odorare i libri soprattutto se sono nuovi Ma Se leggere un libro non ha prezzo per tutto il resto ci sono le Carte di debito e le Carte di credito !!! Ah !! Ah !!! (citazione ispirata ad una pubblicità di un marchio di una società di carte di credito)
    E poi la Borsa regalata da Logan nell’ omonima scena è Bellissima !!!!

Le stava Benissimo !!! La Rendeva meno Intellettuale !!!

6) Interrompiamo le ‘motivazioni Rory e Logan’ ……………Per Introdurre una Motivazione : Più “Omnia Paractus” : MI PIACE MOLTO : Il rapporto che Logan ha con : Finn, Colin e Robert (anche componenti della Brigata della vita e della Morte). La Loro è un amicizia che non si basa su quei discorsi “sdolcinati” MA Basta uno sguardo e Subito si crea complicità !!! E POI : Hanno subito accettato Rory e la Coccolano Tantissimo !!! Troppo Carini !!!

7) Torniamo a Rory e Logan ed entriamo più nel cuore del loro rapporto………. MI PIACE MOLTO : Come Logan invita Rory all’ Intimità……… come quando le tocca i capelli durante la cena con gli amici di Logan e Marty…….. o come quando la invita ad avvicinarsi a lui nella stanza di Rory a Stars Hollow.

Continuiamo su Rory e Logan …….. Ma Coinvolgiamo Anche i PARENTI ….. :

8) Iniziando da sua madre : Lorelai Gilmore : MI PIACE MOLTO :
    L’ idea che Rory si sia innamorata di un ragazzo che appartiene ad un mondo da qui era la madre era scappata …………….. Perché E’ : Un Nuovo Scandalo in Casa Gilmore !!!! …………..
    ……….. Stavolta – però – la Scandalizzata Non è Emily Ma Lorelai ………….. Immagino ………
    Che Lorelai abbia pensato : <>……………

Si, perché lo Scontro Generazionale tra madre e figlia è fisiologico …..dalla mia piccola esperienza ho imparato che le madri che condividono le scelte delle figlie si contano sulla punta delle dita…..:

Perché c’è “una Emily Gilmore” in ogni mamma compresa Lorelai !!!

E poi, Logan è riuscito ad ammutolire Lorelai Gilmore quando ha chiesto la mano di Rory !!!
    Tutto dire !!! Ah !! Ah !!

9) Continuiamo…….. Con i PARENTI : MI PIACE MOLTO : L’ Idea di una Gilmore in casa Huntzberger e un Huntzberger in casa Gilmore :

– Forse ho “tendenze masochistiche”… Ah !! Ah !!! MA a Me : Mitchum Huntzberger PIACE!!!! : In Apparenza : Antagonista delle Protagonista (Gilmore), SECONDO ME : Ha fatto Maturare il Rapporto tra Rory e Logan più di una volta e la stessa Rory ….una volta gli ha dato ragione riguardo a Logan………….

– Inoltre : E’ stato Veramente Curioso e Divertente !!!! : Vedere 2 Titani come Emily Gilmore e Shira Huntzberger : Scontrarsi nella Famosa Scena, in cui Emily difende sua nipote !!!

– Per quanto, riguarda, il ruolo di Rory con i suoi Nonni : Richard ma soprattutto Emily, si vedano le motivazioni personali professionali sotto .

PROFESSIONALE

Veniamo ora al mio motivo personale Sophies dal punto di vista professionale :

MI PIACE MOLTO : Pensare che Rory e Logan non siano solo legati da un rapporto sentimentale ma anche professionale, mi spiego meglio :

Non solo non sono affatto delusa del “ristagno lavorativo” di Rory ………..”Tipico del Dopo – Laurea” MA Ritengo che Non si esprima la necessità di dimostrare la bravura di Rory …….
    Infatti, Rory non è solo una brava giornalista il cui curriculum “spicca” tra i giornali più famosi o in generale nell’ editoria…… MA Lei è : LA PRESCELTA GIORNALI STA !!!……………………

E con molto piacere – perché vuol dire che non sono l’ unica a pensarla così – che per spiegare le mie motivazioni professionali Sophies mi collego ad una tesi sostenuta da altri fans e diffusa su internet di cui non so l’ origine, secondo cui Rory è : la “combinazione genetica” non solo di Lorelai ma anche di suo nonna Emily Gilmore.

SECONDO ME, però : Rory, “fa un salto di qualità” rispetto a sua nonna :

Infatti, mentre Emily è stata la “spalla” di nonno Richard – cioé ha avuto – un ruolo più di appoggio per il marito, Rory avrà un Ruolo più Attivo :

Sarà il braccio destro dell’ : <> (fonte : Wikipedia)

E perché NO !!!!

Darà del “Filo da Torcere” a Mitchum Huntzberger !!!

CONCLUDIAMO : Con i Ringraziamenti ai :

1) I Coniugi Palladino
    2) Gli Altri Produttori Esecutivi
    3) Tutto il Cast : Dalle Attrici Protagoniste alle Attrici Non protagoniste, compreso il “Dietro le Quinte”.
    4) WB, CW e Netflix
    5) Tutti i Fans di Gilmore Girls, Soprattutto “Sophies” : Di Tutti i Canali : Tecnologici (Social Network o Simili e Altro) e Non Tecnologici (Carta, Simili o Altro)

Grazie Di Cuore !!!!

A Tutti !!!!>>

“Sophies Made in Italy”

• August 22, 2017 at 12:02 am

Qualora sia sfuggita una Parte, per problemi tecnici / informatici :

Volevo – Anche – Esprimere il Mio Parere sulla Foto :

Io Non ho visto il Revival, quindi, non so il motivo di questa scena né tanto meno il motivo per cui é stata inserita a supporto di questo articolo.

MA A ME : Questa foto : PIACE !!! :

Rory e Logan non sono Sposati Ma questa Scena Immortalata da questa Foto : Sembra : UNO SCORCIO DI VITA CONIUGALE !!!!

SOTTILE !!!!

DELICATA !!!

BELLA !!!!

GRAZIE a chi l’ ha Inserita !!!

Sophies Made in Italy

• August 22, 2017 at 1:33 am

Scusate sono sempre io :

Ho notato che c’ é un problema tra i simboli usati da voi e quelli usati da me, in particolare :

In italiano : <> () : Riportano dialoghi tra le persone o citazioni

Qui : <> () : Annullano il Contenuto

Riporto le citazioni annullate per permettervi di comprendere meglio :il mio commento :

Volevo Solo esprimere il Mio Parere in merito a questa foto : , del commento August 21, 2017 at 11:50 pm : Vedere Commento del August 22, 2017 at 12:02 am

SENTIMENTALE : punto 1) : E non è stato solo Logan a rimanere Inaspettatamente Innamorato Ma Anche Rory quando – per esempio – nella famosa scena : ‘Brutta Faccia da Merlo’ dice : Tu ed io siamo Diversi !! Troppo !! …….. Devo Andare ….(con la scusa (a mio parere) del gelato..)
    E’ con : Devo Andare ..che il terreno ‘sotto i piedi di Rory’ inizia a tremare ……….

SENTIMENTALE : punto 8) ………….. Immagino ………
    Che Lorelai abbia pensato : Un Ricco in casa mia !!! Oh Mio Dio !!! ……………

PROFESSIONALE : Citazione Wikipedia :

Sarà il braccio destro dell’ : Erede dell’ “Huntzberger Publishing Company :

Un Colosso dell’ informazione Nazionale (fonte : Wikipedia)

Grazie Molte e Scusate il Disguido