Alexis Bledel Also Disliked Rory

For most people, the biggest disappointment in Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life was Rory. She repeated the same mistakes over and over. She was spoiled and lacked ambition. She simply stopped trying. It wasn’t the Rory we had come to know, respect or aim to be. She was no longer driven and powerful.

It turns out, Alexis Bledel was also disappointed in Rory.

“It certainly wasn’t the ending I expected…”

“I had told [creator] Amy [Sherman-Palladino] that I hoped Rory would end on a high note after all of her hard work,” she explained. “I wanted to see her succeed and be thriving. So it was a hard thing for me to digest.”

Of course, the ending was its own twist, one that doesn’t spell out success or lack thereof, but Alexis says that Amy Sherman-Palladino was “delighted” to throw a “curveball” at the audience with that twist.

20 thoughts on “Alexis Bledel Also Disliked Rory

• April 23, 2017 at 3:25 pm

The revival was such a flop for me. Lorelai and Luke were in the same place as season 6 with her choosing to not have a voice in the relationship. I though she got over that when they broke up. Same with Rory, it was just rehashing the same party aimless life with Logan. Again, I thought that was sorted when Jess had it out with her. Seriously, the writers were like we didn’t get to do everything we wanted to in season 6 so we are just going to play those themes out again. To not progress the characters or have them endure different life events was a big middle finger to the fans.

• April 24, 2017 at 11:05 am

I am so in agreement with you. I haven’t even been tempted to watch AYITL again after the first viewing. It was just as bad as season 6 was, maybe worse.

• April 23, 2017 at 3:35 pm

for me, it just did not fit as Rory had dumped Logan and was going on the Obama campaign as a journalist at the end of the series. We should have been shown why she had failed. IF we had learned she found out she was PG the summer of 2007 and had to leave the campaign to have a baby and had not been able to get another great break as a journalist, it would have made sense.

• April 23, 2017 at 5:49 pm

My biggest disappointment was the totally unneeded musical. It was totally pointless and just awful. I’ve watch the 4 seasons 3 times (I’m a GG junkie) and skipped the musical 2 times. Rory’s character was disappointing because she was so driven to succeed and they never told us why she was on a downward spiral but the wedding was SPECTACULAR except Sookie wasn’t there. She deserved a better part

• April 23, 2017 at 6:03 pm

I hated the whole new movie! Luke and Lorelai did not have a normal wedding that we could all enjoy. That awful musical was stupid! I was so hoping she would get back with Jess. The ending was not at all what I expected.

• April 23, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Why are people giving up on the entire season~ they just came back ~so you have some twists and turns, that’s what makes this story so interesting all of the time we twists and turns through and come out on the other side in a better place ~give it some time people you’re all too knowing.

• April 23, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Of course, she was delighted to throw that curve ball. It’s too bad she couldn’t for see that she sacrificed her beloved characters just to finally complete an ending she envisioned years ago. Mind you, an ending that no longer fit the characters.

Rory and Lorelai deserved better than what the revival gave them.

• April 23, 2017 at 11:35 pm

I hope for a new season I’m still in love with the Girlmore Girls and maby the next one I hope so with the same acteurs because they are great

• April 24, 2017 at 1:09 am

I didn’t like what they did to Emily. I know she was in mourning,but she would never have allowed her housekeeper, cook, or any staff to run her house. She was an alpha female. She always had control. She might have slipped a little,but they changed her personality Entirely.

• April 24, 2017 at 4:40 am

I agree with the other comments. I am a big fan and was extremely disappointed. Lorelai and Luke weren’t married and Rory was lost and boring. It was a let down.

• April 24, 2017 at 6:41 am

I thought this reunion of cast was very creative with the seasonal approach…I watched it and when it ended I assumed there would be another sequel…just like life. It had quirkiness of characters revisited, that small town caring and new little challenges to expand on or bring to a resolve…the ending just opened doors for life to grow and continue…for the writers to come together and lay out the next phase of life was quite an undertaking and I am thankful…PLEASE ENCOURAGE THE ACTORS AND PRODUCERS TO BRING US ANOTHER COLLECTION TO THIS HEARTFELT CLASSIC!

• April 24, 2017 at 10:01 am

It’s like she wasn’t even the same person. Where was the girl who carried a book with her everywhere she went and worked hard and took on challenges? I did not like the redo as a whole, although I did enjoy seeing all the town characters again.

• April 24, 2017 at 11:09 am

If she was that disappointed in where the direction of her character, why did she choose to participate at all. If they got the chance to have any type of script preview before signing on, then I’m sad to say that the main actors sold out for a paycheck. The only exception being the Emily character, since hers was the only one that ASP was forced to write new material for due to Edward Hermann’s death. To me, the rest felt like a let’s-pick-up-where-we-left-off job, with no inclusion of some of the wonderful character growth that we saw in season 7.

• April 25, 2017 at 2:13 am

Blame the writer… she’s done nothing to confirm that girls can get ahead with a good education and rise above the irresponsible, adolescent one-night stand. Rory is 30 in this series. Why has no career path opened for her? The series seemed to be more about how unreliable and pointless, the upper class education Rory was very fortunate to acquire, has been. Each important character who received this education seemed to be failures in some respect despite the good cards of education and connections they’ve been dealt. Paris disappointed in her marriage and stressed out by her career and life, Rory jobless and treated like a freshly capped, powerless graduate searching for an internship and Logan – equally powerless & dependent on his father for work and who he should marry! Until this mini series I was impressed with the writer’s insightvinto the hypocracies of Anerica’s east coast Patrician class but this story-line is an even bigger indictment against the ways (hard work and a good education) to rise above the obstacles to advancement in place by a crafty Establishment.

• April 25, 2017 at 10:38 pm

rkb-

Suspect the actors had very little to do with and were left in the dark as to what the Pallidino’s were willing to write and once the contracts were signed it was too late to do anything about it. And since the actors had always figured there would be no additional writing after the way the program ended it was always easy for them to say of course they would be back if ASP wanted to do more. Thus they talked themselves into a corner and had to deliver or be labeled the villain in holding up more Gilmore Girls.

However, with the slap-dash illogical plotting in the revival they are now in a much better position to decline participation in any further storytelling on artistic grounds—

• April 27, 2017 at 10:00 am

It isn’t going to happen. They both owe their career to this show. They were more than fairly compensated last time around and figure the same will happen if ASP decides to write more.

• April 27, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Y-

Mostly agree, but tend to think the recent revival was their “paid in full” bow to the Pallidino’s who weren’t exactly on a hot streak and a reasonable farewell shout out to their fans. They may of course choose to be overly compensated if the opportunity again arises but I would not count on it as I doubt they need the payday that bad and might not want to risk turning previously iconic characters into mediocre caricatures better suited to daytime soap-operas–

• May 5, 2017 at 1:28 am

Are any of you really fans of GG?! I thought AYITL was brilliant from start to finish.

• May 26, 2017 at 11:27 am

I still have to watch the revival… Not in a hurry though… The first 5 years were so great… Hopefully, they’ll make a new revival with a satisfying Rory… Won’t they?