Netflix Considering More Gilmore Girls Episodes

Yes, you heard that right! This is not a drill! Gilmore Girls: ANOTHER Year in the Life may be a reality. Ok, title totally mine, I’m curious what they would pen for that.

After the unanimous success of Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, which helped Netflix increase its global subscriber base and was the third most watched original series for the media giant, Netflix executives were on-board early on with the potential for more Gilmore Girls episodes. The cast felt that the story needed to be right, but many voiced their intent to return. It was, as everyone has always said, up to Amy Sherman-Palladino and Dan Palladino to decide if they had more story to tell.

I think many fans would agree there is more story to tell. Although much can be said for a cliffhanger ending to a series, and I’m sure there was major satisfaction around the final four words, there are many of us who will always want more. Initially, Amy Sherman-Palladino was too tired from wrapping Gilmore Girls and jumping into her new pilot, The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel, but time changes all things, as they say.

According to a new article in Cosmopolitan, Netflix executives have been talks with Gilmore Girls creators about making another series of episodes.

Nothing’s set in stone just yet, but chief content officer of Netflix, Ted Sarandos, confirmed they’re in talks with the show’s creators about making another series.

According to the Press Association, he said: “We obviously loved the success of the show, fans loved how well it was done, it delivered what they hoped.”

Ted Sarandos confirmed that Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life delivered on the excitement it had built up during filming and Netflix execs have been “talking to them”, meaning Dan and Amy, about the possibility of more.

Sure, talks are preliminary, and there are filming schedules to consider for many of the actors. But the beauty of the Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life format was how quickly it was filmed (three months), making scheduling less tricky than a standard television format would.

37 thoughts on “Netflix Considering More Gilmore Girls Episodes

• March 5, 2017 at 3:53 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed!

• March 6, 2017 at 11:12 pm

This needs to happen! So many negative Nancy’s around! Yes Rory and Logan were cheating on their significant others … this next series needs to redeem Rory’s character and she needs to get her life together . The series can not leave us with these shambles ?!!! So unfair and the image they painted of Rory is not justifiable to her character for the last 7 series ! This is not the Rory we all fell in love with.

• March 5, 2017 at 4:07 pm

It would be Great if you continue doing more , O know A lot of People who would watch!!!

• March 5, 2017 at 4:32 pm

I’m on board for more; just not another “Stars Hollow The Musical!”

• March 5, 2017 at 4:37 pm

I don’t know. I didn’t like the sequel as much as I thought I would.

• March 8, 2017 at 7:51 am

You must be out of your mind to say it’s horrible

• March 5, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Oh yes!! Let’s do some more “Gilmore Girls”. We just can’t get enough…I’d LOVE IT.
    Just PLEASE …no long drawn out, unnecessary Musical taking up precious minutes…

• March 5, 2017 at 4:49 pm

great idea…..can’t wait!

• March 5, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Please please please more. I am addicted to this show and rewatch it!! Please give us more.

• March 5, 2017 at 5:50 pm

I’d be willing to give it a try, but I hope it’s a whole lot better than AYITL was. I haven’t even been tempted to watch that again, even though I happily watch all 7 seasons of the original over and over.

• March 7, 2017 at 9:05 am

I’m pretty sad that i ended up feeling this way; that I have no desire to watch AYITL again – or to binge-watch it. I was a huge fan of the original series.

• March 19, 2017 at 3:09 pm

I’m the same way. Overall I was satisfied with it but I didn’t LOVE it the way I love the series. I’ve only tried to ‘re watch it once and I had to skip through the musical. I’m up for another but I hope it’s a little more of a return to the original and less trying to shove as much in as possible.

• March 5, 2017 at 5:50 pm

More episodes would be great just put Sooki in more! It was a huge disappointment to hear she was coming back only to get her for 2 minutes.

• March 5, 2017 at 8:14 pm

It would be nice since the Revial was left up in the air sorta thing&besides there being so many Gilmore Girl fans out there I 4 one can countine 2 wath this show over&over but wait and hope 4 new eposides. Sorry for the mispelling I know there is some I am terrible at it 4give me please. lol Now Editors of Gilmore Girls please brings Us fans some NEW epsodies please it would be so greatly appreaticted.

Gilmore Fan

• March 5, 2017 at 8:24 pm

I agree about the musical…. I still can’t figure out what the point was and it was long…(though the last song was stunning)
    I was disappointed in Rory seemingly to be floundering. Nothing in 7 years before implied that she knew HOW to flounder.
    I just didn’t believe Luke and Lorelai had not married… and, yet were still together. That after EVERYTHING it hadn’t come up in 10 years….
    The bathroom scene with Paris freaking out over Tristan was false and Juvenile — and Tristan didn’t graduate; he went to a military academy. He wouldn’t be at (invited to) an alumni event.
    Emily was the only person who was allowed to grow and change in a positive way.
    Also the idea that the kitchen at the Inn had been “vacant” for two years while Lorelai pouted and was violently rude to “guest chefs” because Sookie is irreplaceable was unsupportable. Also M. McCarthy has said she would not be back.
    And then there’s the baby drama… Because, of course it’s the soon to be married Logan’s. There will be no drama we’d care about if it’s some random Wookie.
    Well, that’s all for now….

• March 5, 2017 at 8:47 pm

I really really hope they decide to do this😍😍😍

• March 6, 2017 at 12:03 am

This news has made my day :)

• March 6, 2017 at 5:40 am

I am a new fan of Gilmore Girls. AYITL was my first time watching. I was intrigued so I have started watching episodes right from the very start. I’m really enjoying it. That being said, just from what I have been watching, I would rate the AYITL maybe a 7 out of 10. But I will continue to be a fan, I look forward to more power watching. Bring more episodes Please.

• March 6, 2017 at 5:56 am

Watching Gilmore Girls is like one of my happy places. I hope they go for it!

• March 6, 2017 at 10:05 am

I really hope they do another season, but maybe do more with some of the other characters that we all care about. More with Paris and Doyle, Lane and Zack, Christopher, Michel, etc. For all the talk of having too much material for the 4 epsiodes there seemed to be a lot of time wasted on the musical (funny for about two minutes), new characters that didn’t really mean much (i.e. the musical again), that bizarre pool-side scene (body shaming, really?), and the whole thing with Emily’s unitelligbile houskeeper (way over the top). There was a lot of good stuff there, too, of course, I just wish they’d used that other time differently, and told more of those other more relevant stories. I know they had tight shooting schedules and felt an obligation to get as many possible cameos in for everyone who’d ever been on the show – and maybe those had something to do with it. But hopefully those won’t be an issue if they go to another season and they can focus on the main characters and still give us more about the supporting characters. (More Paris! More Lane!)

• March 6, 2017 at 11:12 am

I’m in the minority here, but I think they need to quit while they’re (sorta) ahead. AYITL was mediocre at best. I’ll continue watching seasons 1-5 and 7. That’s the GG I want to hold dear to my heart.

• March 7, 2017 at 12:21 pm

I 100 percent agree. I love seasons 1-5 and in spite of everything really like season 7, I can watch these seasons over and over again. AYITL definitely was “mediocre at best”, I am just glad that it did not ruin my love for the original Gilmore girls. As much as I sometimes wish there were “fresh” episodes, I really hope that this is the end, because after watching AYITL I am absolutely sure that another revival would not meet my expectations at all.

• March 9, 2017 at 10:22 am

I totally agree with your take on all of it. Season 6 and AYITL both lacked good plot points and writing. While each had very specific high moments, neither lived up to what GG was in many other respects.

• March 6, 2017 at 12:10 pm

I also want more Gilmore girls — but I felt like the “year” episodes were slanted much more negatively than the first 7 seasons — I didn’t like the musical – this isn’t a forum for political statements. I think the fun, witty dialogue is what everyone loves – not constant negativity and Rory floundering – I’m in agreement with another commenter about that — Most people have a bit of a stutter in their stride forward — but hers has been a “hit the floor and can’t get up” kind of flounder — not in keeping with her character. So my vote is: Keep it going but keep it positive. We all have enough negative in our lives, we don’t need to watch it.

• March 6, 2017 at 9:09 pm

Yes, can see the new plotline now as a copycat right out of the old drama Dallas. Turns out AYITL was nothing more than one of Rory’s more vividly negative dreams – remember the Paris/Chilton mashup from episode 7.20 – Lorelai? Lorelai ? and now it’s time for the real story—

• March 7, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Yes!! PLEASE; Let’s have MORE of the “Real” Gilmore Girls…&, THIS Time WITH Sookie! More of it in its Traditional form. Keeping that Sense of What & Who Made It Family.. & MAGIC.. So full of that Stars Hollow Warmth, whether physically there or not.

• March 10, 2017 at 8:43 am

I also felt that some of the scenes in AYITL were kind of odd, but some of the scenes in the original GG were kind of odd as well so it keeps with the style of the show if you look at the entire series. I see a lot of people on here commenting about not liking the Rory floundering storyline, but I can see how it was necessary. If GG had been able to continue straight on rather than have a huge gap in the timeline, these stories would have fit right in. Now, look at Rory, floundering in how to adult and finds herself pregnant. Sound familiar? Her mother may have been younger, but she was floundering and trying to find a way to change her life when she found herself pregnant with Rory. Like mother like daughter perhaps? Also, I’m guessing that the baby is the wookies because that is the only way Rory could be a single mother just like her Mom. You know that Logan would immediately dump his fiancé and come back for Rory if it was his which doesn’t allow for Rory to have to grow up and take care of herself and her baby. I hope they do another series not just another year in the life. Even if Rory and the baby are the new stars and everyone else is just supporting characters it would be an interesting watch.

• March 15, 2017 at 12:01 am

3/20/17 TV Guide Cheers and Jeers Section – “Jeers to Netflix for toying with another GG revival. As fun as it was to see all the Stars Hallow gang again, that four part reboot was uneven at best and annoying at its worst. Let’s move on so Rory can repeat Lorelai’s bad life choices in private”.

While there has been a general call in these comment sections to see how well Rory will followup to Lorelai’s single-mom gig, for this long-time viewer it’s hard to believe that the original story can be as skillfully repeated and extended in the next generation. I’m more curious to see what happened after Rory hit the campaign trail to slowly but surely burn out her motor and ambition and leave her willing to coast through life letting it just happen to her. Thus, would want to see a prequel filling in all the holes in the plotline of the last decade that led to AYITL.

• May 31, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Just got done watching all 7 seasons of Gilmore girls and year in the life what a ending. Please come out with more Rory should be with Jess. They never really got the chance they deserve and boy do they deserve one.

• June 15, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Yes, please give us MORE Gilmore Girls!

• July 14, 2017 at 11:23 am

It so needs to happen, I love Gilmore girls its my favorite show. We need to know what happens and who the father is and everything else. :) so hope they do make another one.

• July 14, 2017 at 6:49 pm

I absolutely love Gilmore girls. I have watched the 7 seasons over and over again. Huge GG fan. AYITL was not what I expected. Rory was not where or what I thought she was like .. Lorelai didn’t get what she always wanted… (marriage/another kid). I hope to see the season come back and Rory be more of the Rory she always was and see the show with the characters more normal like from season 7. The musical was awful. I feel like it was a waste of time in the script. Bring back another season with more of the GG we all fell in love with. And all the cast. Season 7 was my favorite season. The ending was great. Still cry every time I watch it. ❤️💕

• October 1, 2017 at 9:23 am

Wasn’t very happy with AYITL, mostly because Rory from the original series got lost somewhere. And of course being a Rory and Logan shipper, was once again disappointed with the end. Like some one in the above comments said..bring it back but make it a bit more positive. Shows like GG don’t have to be turned into realistic BS. Life is enough to offer us all the reality checks we need, don’t have to see it happen in the shows we love as well. Love the show, love the characters the way they were in the first 7 seasons. Don’t change them please and give them their happy endings! Happy shows should have happy endings!! :(

• October 3, 2017 at 7:48 am

Is here anyone who want a comeback of Dory ? (Dean and Rory)