Milo Ventimiglia on “Greedy” Fans Wanting More

Milo Ventimiglia has always been open to talking about his time on Gilmore Girls and his pleasure at working with the Palladinos and the whole cast. Milo, currently starring on the hit show This Is Us, recently shared with Variety his thoughts on the future of Gilmore Girls. Perhaps he thinks the ending was perfect, or perhaps he’s just tired of us always bringing up Gilmore Girls, but this was his answer:

If [creators] Dan Palladino or Amy Sherman-Palladino ever called me, of course. They are the reason why I show up. Amy created Jess, and I loved speaking her words. But I do kind of feel like audiences shouldn’t get so greedy. They were given a last serving of pie — why don’t we just leave it at that?

I do feel like no matter how much Gilmore Girls we get, we will always want more. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t more of a story to tell ;)

And Milo also didn’t seem keen to talk about the potential father of Rory’s baby:

No, nor have I spent any time wondering. Let me be real honest: When I worked on the show, that was my present but that’s 13 years in the rearview for me now so I don’t spend what little free time I have wondering about the baby of a past TV flame.

Where’s the love, Milo?

Photo TERENCE PATRICK FOR VARIETY

23 thoughts on “Milo Ventimiglia on “Greedy” Fans Wanting More

• February 8, 2017 at 11:20 am

He is a jerk! Ego got too big,! He really is the character he portrayed in the Gilmore Girls- obnoxious & self – centered!

• February 9, 2017 at 9:42 am

That is so true! I just want an ending a happy ever after! I don’t think that’s to much to ask for

• February 8, 2017 at 12:23 pm

As fan we went more you’re not going to be happy with less we went more when were not being greedy we need 7 more seasons have anything to do with it but you can talk to any other can we want more us than me updated because we want more and he’s wrong we’re not being greedy

• February 8, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Hmm, perhaps the Palladino’s can bring Jess to a gruesome demise so he doesn’t have to grace us with his presence on the show?

• February 8, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Just leave him out and i am loving him in This is us ,but now i will look at him in a different way ,,Think it has all gone to your head buddy ,,,, You are not that precious believe me……

• February 8, 2017 at 5:47 pm

I can see why people would be annoyed at his comment, but actors/actresses do move on… they have to. It was a gift to see more Gilmore Girls in the first place (and to have so much of the original cast come back for it, that was amazing). So I think that is exactly what he was saying. Be grateful. Don’t hold your hand out for more when what you got was a blessing or a bonus that not all fans have the fortune to experience. Be SATISFIED at some point. Because to the writers and the actors, hearing, “Please, please, please can we have more!!!?? PLEASE!!!!!” one second after the new series releases is not going to seem very grateful and actually completely misses the point. After 10 years, you got to go back to Stars Hollow. Think about that. Enjoy that, even if that is where the story ends. Perhaps he could have said it better, (“entitled” instead of “greedy”) but he has a very good point!

• February 19, 2017 at 8:53 am

very well said and just what I had been thinking as well. After ten years passed, I didn’t know how much I missed the show and seeing all the old cast was an incredible journey back. It was a gift, and if the story ends here, then at least we have this return to remember.

• February 8, 2017 at 6:42 pm

You know….maybe he just had a bad day. He is fortunate to be busy with a current hit tv show. I doubt there are many in Hollywood who take that for granted. What good did it do to publisj that? Why give it any attention at all? It isn’t interesting to me. It is unpleasant.

• February 14, 2017 at 10:48 am

My role here is simply to bring together all the recent Gilmore-related news. I think it would be an oversight if I didn’t publish all the latest insights on the possibility of more Gilmore Girls.

• February 15, 2017 at 11:39 pm

Thank you for bringing together all these related but different news items and write-ups. The diversity of the articles on your website is superbly interesting. It is what sets this site apart and keeps us readers coming back. Great job!

• February 8, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Looks like his character didn’t require much acting!

• February 8, 2017 at 10:58 pm

After 8 to 10 months of the actors being contractually obligated to play lollipops and unicorns in the run-up to AYITL, I find it kind of refreshing that someone would actually break ranks and tell us what he thinks. Think about it, you’ve finished up doing what most would call a creditable job and you would like to move forward, but are constantly hectored by a social media mob whom think they have a right to plead for more and expect an immediate positive response.

What if every six months an old boss or teacher or high school principal kept calling you asking you to repeat work you feel you have already successfully completed. First time you would think they were kidding, second time you might tell them no but thanks for remembering you, third time you would suggest they get lost, and finally you would go full on “Rag” from the movie “Hard-Bodies” and flip them off in every contortion know to the human form. That the principals have mostly held their sense of humor for the better part of a decade in handling the situation is rather remarkable. Most of us would have blown a fuse a long, long time ago.

• February 8, 2017 at 11:53 pm

He does sound exasperated!

I have sympathy with his second comment. He stopped being a regular back at the end of season 3 and his time on the revival was fairly short (did someone say only one or two filming days?). By almost all accounts/opinions Jess isn’t a contender for father. I can understand why the question isn’t on his radar.

I think his first comment is unfair though. I think it’s reasonable to describe the last four words of the revival as a cliff-hanger. That’s a thing that will always leave an audience wanting to know what happens next. Whilst I think there will always be fans who want more – regardless of the ending – I believe the fans are rather more justified in this case. Don’t finish on a note like that and expect the audience to be satisfied!

• February 9, 2017 at 6:08 am

This is how I see it: the ending of the reboot wasn’t intended to be a cliffhanger. The story had come full circle. Amy had laid out the circumstances ( Logan is to Rory what Christopher is to Lorelai and Jess is to Rory what Luke is to Lorelai) and, instead of giving us her version of what happens next, she left us to use our own imaginations as to how it will play out.

• March 2, 2017 at 12:53 am

You’ve hit the nail on the head. Great summery. As Lennon once said,
      the Beatles are finished, if you want them go listen to the albums.

• February 9, 2017 at 6:09 am

While I think Milo is great in This is Us, I absolutely couldn’t stand him in Gilmore Girls. I was happy to see him go away and hope if they ever do anything else they just leave him out of it.

• February 9, 2017 at 6:29 am

I’d have been perfectly satisfied and understanding of his “don’t be greedy” comment if the loose ends were tied up more. As it is now, we have less closure than we did at the end of the first run.

• February 9, 2017 at 8:14 am

Asking the actors about what they think about their characters storylines or if they think there should be more episodes is really a little unfair. This is their job, and when it’s done they go on to the next one and put themselves into that role. They’re not personally invested in the show or the characters as if that world continues after the fact like we fans are, still enjoying the reruns a decade later. Most of them seem to be happy just being able to play a good role and speak some great lines, regardless of where the writers go with it. That’s the way it should be if you’re in that line of work – you move on from one character / show to the next and just play the part you’re given the best you can. As fans we can discuss the show we love ad nauseum, but I wouldn’t expect the actors to want to do the same. I can also understand if Milo is a little peeved considering he currently has a hit show on the air and all a lot of people want to talk to him about is the few minutes he appeared in the GG reboot, instead of This is Us.

• February 9, 2017 at 12:53 pm

We need more episodes we’re not being greedy we just want more they have to make more episodes please

• February 14, 2017 at 1:04 pm

And that isn’t greedy to a barf-worthy extent? Give me a break. Thank you for proving his point.

• February 10, 2017 at 1:24 am

Sometimes it’s really kind of annoying that we had to wait 9 Years to get a better “7th” season. But something like that makes it hard to believe that There will be more…..

I think it’s over. For Now. 😋

• February 14, 2017 at 5:32 pm

I think I understand where Milo is coming from. Look – they essentially made four 90-minute films, centered around the four seasons. That’s a lot of material, and it should have satisfied folks for a while. Unfortunately, Netflix chose to release everything at once. After all that work, I’m pretty sure Amy didn’t want to do it that way. They had the theme defined – they should have released one per season, giving folks something to look forward to. I guess I’m too old for this “binge” culture. 0_0

• February 15, 2017 at 11:11 am

When I first read his “greedy” comment, I was a little offended but I also totally got what he was saying. Regis – I think you hit the nail on the head, most of us probably spent Thanksgiving weekend watching all 4 episodes at once. I wanted more too when it was done, especially because of the ending. I agree it would have been better to release each one as a separate movie – one per actual season would’ve been good. It was too easy for us to get our Gilmore fix after so long and we forgot that it was nowhere near easy for those involved in the making of it.