Gilmore Girls Ratings Paint a Positive Picture

A week after the release of Netflix’s Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, the ratings for the four-part event have been leaked via Symphony Advanced Media. The company reported that 4.97 million viewers in the 18-49 age demographic have watched the revival.  According to Deadline, this ranks Gilmore Girls (so far) as the third most watched show on Netflix with a 2016 release date behind Fuller House (7.3 million viewers) and Orange Is the New Black (5.8 million viewers).

fuller-houseoitnbgilmoregirls_1sht_girls_us

More viewers watched the first installment of the four titled, “Winter” totaling 5.99 million viewers in the first three days of streaming. This means that over 80% of viewers watched the entire four episodes.

screen-shot-2016-10-25-at-11-49-18-am

According to the Hollywood Reporter, if Gilmore Girls was broadcasted on television with the numbers it received, its rating would amount to 3.6 in the 18-49 age demographic. This number equates to similar ratings as How to Get Away with MurderGrey’s Anatomy, and Modern Family. These shows all hold top spots among the highest rated shows of the 2015-2016 season (The Wrap).

gilmoregirls_movie_night_us_pre

Overall, this means that Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life appears to be a hit for Netflix and is projected to grow in viewership as the holiday season approaches. Due to its success, the question that is now posed is: Will there be more Gilmore? The answer is still up in the air as creator Amy Sherman Palladino said in an interview with TVLine’s Michael Ausiello that, “No one is talking about that right now. We’re all very tired. I have to finish this Amazon pilot [The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel], which I’m very proud of. Dan and I have been in a Gilmore cocoon for a year and a half. It’s been very intense. So we’re stepping back now. We’re happy it’s out. We’re happy we can talk about it.”

gazebo1

For now, continue watching Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life on Netflix and be sure to follow me on Instagram @GilmoreGirlsOnly for all of your Gilmore Girls news.

25 thoughts on “Gilmore Girls Ratings Paint a Positive Picture

• December 3, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Gilmore Girls Is the best.
    Ever.

• December 3, 2016 at 7:19 pm

I’m more shocked that Fuller House is getting better ratings. There is no accounting for taste.

• December 3, 2016 at 9:34 pm

I was so happy with The Life episodes! Watched all four n one night😀❤️

• December 4, 2016 at 5:11 am

HAHA i know right! ;D

• December 5, 2016 at 7:02 am

I was shocked that Fuller House had higher ratings, maybe not so much for the first episode, but definitely for the rest of the season. Everything in that show is done poorly – the writing, the acting. I love the original series, lots of childhood memories, but this reboot is disappointing. Without hearing about the ratings, I was surprised they did a season two. It must be a low cost production.

While I’d love more Gilmore Girls, after rewatching A Year in the Life agin this weekend, I’d be okay with leaving it where it is. Some disliked it and are concerned that more poorly done episodes could ruin the original run, but I don’t think so…. Just like Full House not being tainted by the horrible Fuller House show.

• December 3, 2016 at 8:52 pm

No No No those other two can’t possibley be anywhere close to the Gilmore Girls. It is the best by far. Please Please make more. I don’t think I could live with out them !!!!!!!!!!!!

• December 4, 2016 at 12:14 am

I am delighted about the ratings…. It means all good things. Not the least of which is a good chance we will be getting
    More !!!!!!👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

• December 4, 2016 at 5:35 am

Watching it and liking it are two different things. I’m not sure that “A Year In The Life” gave fans what the wanted, but of course, we had to watch it to find that out.

• December 4, 2016 at 9:17 am

Fantastic. I did watch GG when it originally aired but have all season now and am soooo hooked! While A Year in the Life would be a great way to end the series with the full circle element, I really hope it doesn’t end there.

I would love to see Lorelai and Luke have a baby at the same time as Rory. The differences and similarities in their relationships and parenting. Lane and Zac’s boys could be like big brothers to them….. there are so many possibilities, it can’t end here!

• December 4, 2016 at 10:43 am

Correct me if I am wrong but… I just finishing watching “A Year In The Life”, and that was the most horrible ending ever! They left us on a cliff hanger AGAIN! And whats up with the I’m pregnant thing. They just made to where they have to come up with another continuing show. Now don’t get me wrong I like the continuation they already came up with but to leave us at THAT!

• December 4, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Imagine if they counted those of us over 49!

• December 4, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Wine, snacks, and all 4 episodes of Gilmore Girls in one night with my grown daughter. ….I want more of those Life episodes done the same way in a few more years. I want the saga to continue.

• December 5, 2016 at 7:38 am

I just got through watching the revival and man oh man.
    I like the whole Emily story, I think it dealt with her grief well, and except for her weird whale ending, it was highly watchable. Lorelei too had some decent character moments, the moving story about Richard etc. I liked Kirk’s pig.

But then you have Rory, just, what a mess. If we are not supposed to care about her relationships then what are we supposed to care about? Her boxes packed everywhere? Her lack of a career? Her bad choices seem out of character for the supposed maturity of the character. I don’t even care who the baby’s father is, or even that Rory is pregnant. I care that time has passed since series 7 and yet she seems to have regressed to the life and death brigade (still using money to fritter and gamble and whatever their way through life), crappy relationships – if you can call them that, and STILL coming to terms with the fact that despite Yale and Chilton and all, she can’t just waltz through life just because she’s a Gilmore. Then she has saint Jess once again sweeping in and putting her on the right path. A house in Maine offered to her. Her grandparents house to write in. She is still the pampered darling who can get away with being a disaster.
    The wild thing was a distraction. The oddly surreal bits were just plain lame. The musical was tragic. Spring and summer lacked any sense of warmth or pace that made the show what it was. It was just cold and uncomfortable and that would be fine in a gritty realistic series but hello, this is Gilmore girls. Lorelei and Luke getting married is a progression I guess but it doesn’t really feel like it. Feels like we’ve been here before. Ok so you got up the aisle but after still holding information from each other like ten years ago.
    Other characters seem to be there just for old times sake, Lane, Miss Patty, etc.

Also, when Rory falls asleep whilst interviewing a man in line, what the hell is that about???? Cant be a sign of pregnancy (too early unless she just doesn’t show at all and still drinks later on). That being a journalist is not what she should be doing? I mean, WHAT?

I feel like for years the creators have felt hard done by and kind of put out by season 7 and so we get this convoluted four episodes just so it can tie up with the bloody four words that after sitting through all four eps just don’t seem to matter much.

• December 5, 2016 at 1:53 pm

I’m sorry but I can’t believe that you said the last four words don’t matter. They totally matter if you are a true Gilmore Girls fan! It leaves suspicion and great suspense! I mean yea I know they ended in the most worst way possible leaving you on the most biggest cliff hanger ever but, you have got to love the last four words knowing that you can’t hate Gilmore Girls because it is such a great show. And the fact that it gives you kind of… now I might be wrong but… kind of a hint that they MIGHT be making another continuation. Now that is just my opinion.

• December 6, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Suspense? The whole revival was so boring!

• December 7, 2016 at 1:41 am

I’m a Gilmore girls fan, but I don’t like something just because I’m a fan if that makes sense!

• December 6, 2016 at 7:37 am

A great revival. I loved it. Would like to see more!

• December 6, 2016 at 4:07 pm

I enjoy the rival of Gilmore girls I watch over and over I hope there are more episode

• Pingback: Netflix is Open to More Gilmore Girls – Gilmore News – Gilmore Girls Community

• December 9, 2016 at 7:23 pm

I binge watched the entire series of Gilmore girls for the first time ever because of the hype of ‘the year in the life’ new season. I am so glad I did. Gilmore girls has now got another life time fan praying for the show to continue!!!

• December 9, 2016 at 9:30 pm

From Entertainment Weekly— “Best reboot of the year? Gilmore Girls. Absolute worst? Fuller House, a needless, cynical exercise in nostalgiaploitation that insulted fans with lazy execution and just-drifting through mugging from JS, BS, and DC. And the meta-shaming of nonparticipating Olsen twins? How rude.” [This last trend is nothing new, just check out the BS Comedy Central Roast].

And from EW Bullseye’s sense of humor?? “Wow, who could have guessed that the last four words of Gilmore Girls would be ‘Mom, bring back Bunheads'”.

• December 12, 2016 at 4:10 pm

I watched all 4 episodes of Gg:AYITL in one go, utterly unable to eat any of the fun foods I had stocked up on, too full of excitement, anxiety and emotion. I loved the experience, but I was sort of shell shocked. So I watched it again, 4 more times. Because I realized I can’t judge how I felt from just once through. It is not how I cam to love the original series. I have watched it 41 times. Each time discovering something else I love about the show, the writing, the wit, the characters, the acting (OMG the acting!), and the carefully layered stories. And after 5 times I knew. loved the shows, all of them, as a whole piece together.

The longer format gave the storylines room to dig deep and the actors time within scenes to delve into emotional truths that the regular seasons couldn’t do, Seeing old friends from town and past relationships and friendships was heart warming, though thin. Emily’s grief, Lorelai’s doubts, and Rory’s floundering all felt completely appropriate and emotionally honest to the impact that Richard’s death would have on the family. I like that Rory’ is lost, struggling, emotionally confused, and in denial of her circumstances. She has never handled disappointment or rejection/failure well, and she still doesn’t. Luke’s story felt tangential to Lorelai’s vacillation. He had developed into a main character in his own right over the 6(7) original seasons, and it was disappointing to see him treated as a side note, waiting passively for Lorelei to decide everything almost to the last moment. Except for the silliness of not understanding how surrogacy works, and the offhand dismissal of adoption as something he wasn’t interested in going to India for (WTF? he floated around the edges of the action. I missed seeing him engaged with Jess, Liz, TJ and April. He and April barely talked or looked at each other. His character deserved more, and better. But boy that last scene in the kitchen was riveting. He knocked it out of the park with that rush of words laying his heart bare to Lorelei, honestly and directly, FINALLY! And the wedding, while not the full blown townie/gazebo wedding with everyone, including Emily, looking on with joy and relief didn’t happen, it was still perfect. Private, intimate, with Reflecting Light and warm, twinkle lights suffusing everything with full hearts and golden light, it was perfectly lovely and very satisfying.

I understand that the budget didn’t allow for the full wedding Amy had planned. As far as I’m concerned, they could have cut the whole pool scene with all the location shoot costs and extras, and allocated all of that money to a proper wedding for L & L. It was pointless, tasteless, offensive and humorless. Moved nothing of the story or characters forward, and left me feeling ill about the hypocrisy of two women who refuse to wear swimsuits to the pool, mocking people who do in a most inappropriate and cruel way. Really, you went there?!

Emily was a revelation (Kelly Bishop incandescent), released from a stultifying life by the loss of her lifelong partner, she has laced up her Kids and marched into a future full of promise. Farther away from Lorelei physically, but closer emotionally.

Paris Geller. A force of nature that leaves me gasping in awe after every scene. I could watch a whole show of Paris and Doyle, but mostly Paris drives my fascination with her uncompromising ambitions, and her struggles to… what… find balance, satisfaction, certainly not peace. The concept of Paris at peace is an oxymoron. Where ever Paris is going, I want to watch.

I know that the musical is controversial, but I loved it. It was totally something Taylor Doose would have done, and tried to be the auteur and maestro of. People say it went on too long, but plenty of OS episodes had townie bits that went on for entire episodes, so on balance, I thought it was proportionate. And I loved the built up negative expectations it set up for that final song that was heartbreaking and catalytic for Lorelei. Yeah, I’m a fan of the musical and thought it funny, charming and effective.

Same goes for the LDB sequence. I didn’t realize how much I had missed those wild and crazy boys until I saw those gorilla masks. Weirdly, I cried then, too. It was a wonderful homage to Across the Universe, but I also felt it was a lot like Wendy and the Lost Boys, too. Except Wendy was quite lost as well. It was a perfectly surreal evening, with amazing dance sequences (God, I miss Bunheads) and the devil may care antics that I find charming, despite the outrageousness of the conceit. Perfect selection of music for the mood and the scene, and a moving farewell for Logan and Rory. She was saying goodbye to her Peter Pan, and his Boys, possibly forever.

Okay, the last four words. Despite an almost ten year gap between where Amy wanted them deployed and now, it fits. It works. It works if there will be no more for us to see of the story. It works if we get profoundly blessed and Netflix and Amy and the cast choose to take us again to Stars Hollow for more of the story. We have had the pleasure, the fun, the exercise of our imaginations and prejudices for almost ten years to fill in the blanks between the OS and AYITL. What elaborate fun and what a close and vital community has coalesced around these fictional characters who feel as real and as important to us as our own friends and family. How bonded we became, invested and attached. And with those last four words, we get to continue the adventure, with or without Amy. What a gift. She had the balls to leave us wanting more. Thanks, Amy. Dan. The cast and crew. The producers. And, Netflix, for letting Amy be Amy.

• December 19, 2016 at 8:30 pm

I never thought of whatching it but since i started i can’t stop. I want it to continue so much! I want to know Logan reaction of Rory pregnancy, i want to see more of everyone: Jess, logan, Paris, Paul Anka, Kirk, Christopher, GG, April, or Finn <3! Please don't stop now!

• Pingback: Netflix Considering More Gilmore Girls Episodes – Gilmore News – Gilmore Girls Community