Yes, They Were Always the 4 Words

Amy Sherman-Palladino recently spoke with TVLine about the Final Four Words, which surprised a whole world of Gilmore Girls fans. And, while surprising, probably would have surprised those same fans even MORE had then happened 10 years earlier. And, yes, they would have been the same four words.

Amy Sherman Palladino notes:

“I always wanted [the story] to end in a Life Repeats Itself kind of way. The daughter following in the mother’s footsteps. I always thought that was an interesting way to go, with these women who are so tied to each other and who make slightly different choices, but find themselves in interesting situations together. Because they are not like any normal mother and daughter. I wouldn’t have made her a teenage mother. But I thought [it made sense that] after college and right before she’s about to embark on her life that this would happen.”

Amy continues that Rory still has choices, saying “Rory doesn’t have to keep the baby,” but that all she envisioned is that final curveball. Amy does say, however, that she’s happier that Rory had this happen now as opposed to Season 7, which would have perhaps been even more disastrous for fans:

“I still would’ve listened for the [fans] screaming out the window. But there’s something about Rory being the same age as Lorelai was when we first met Lorelai [in the pilot] that has a lot more symmetry and means a lot more. And the fact that Rory has gone through this whole journey of trying to figure out what the f–k her life is going to be and thinks, “OK, I figured it out.” And then, “Nooo, I haven’t.” It’s also the time to be thinking about having a baby if you’re going to be thinking about it.”

Although I have some issues with Rory’s whole storyline, the point was that the storylines were never meant to be complete. Amy says that “their lives keep going” and changing beyond her ‘ending,’ which is perhaps most obvious for Rory, the only one without the “calm” ending the other two Gilmore women received.

“Rory is, “Holy s—t. What the f—k?” That’s more real than if all three of them had lovely endings and we tied it up with a bow and everyone went home with a unicorn.”

According to Amy, when it comes to the whole topic of babies, she did wish that Lane had not become pregnant in Season 7. While she followed through and made them be great parents, it did close the door on them having more options for her, creatively, to play with.

As for future Gilmore Girls revivals? Right now, Amy says she hasn’t thought about it. Unlike for most of the cast, who relished in the 3-month filming window, for Amy Sherman-Palladino and Dan Palladino, the process was a year and a half long, from writing to release. They are “very tired” and happy to be out of the “Gilmore cocoon,” so to speak. Although that’s not fun to hear, Amy has always famously said that no door is ever closed for good!

23 thoughts on “Yes, They Were Always the 4 Words

• December 2, 2016 at 10:59 am

Rory would not abort her baby. Lorelei didn’t. It would ruin the dynamic…and a huge fan base would go away if she did.

• December 2, 2016 at 11:06 am

I really loved this interview with Amy and how she talked about the ending and the revival. I love how she said the ending was about the Gilmore Girls it wasn’t about what boy was in Rory’s life it was a moment between Lorelai and Rory these girls after so many years we came to love. I really loved this quote she said too “The moment was about, “Here’s what I’m going through in my life now!” It’s an ‘Oh, s—t’ moment about Rory. Her discussion with Lorelai is going to be about, “What do I do? Where do I go from here?” It’s not going to be about, “I can’t believe it’s this boy that wound up… ” So I’m not being cryptic. I just want to keep the focus on what the story point is. It’s not about the boy. It’s about her.” I just loved how she said it’s about Rory which after watching everything and thinking the thoughts and opinions I had I agreed with her. I liked that this was about Rory and she was gonna have Lorelai there to help her. Because really that’s what we loved most about Gilmore Girls was the relationship Rory and Lorelai shared, they were different from a normal Mother Daughter duo they were also best friends and their relationship was something we all loved and adored the most about this show. It was the Gilmore Girls that got us hooked it’s only fitting it ends with them too. I also really agree that if everything ending so perfect every one of the Gilmore Girls happy and with a perfect life ahead of them I think I would have been slightly disappointed with that because that would be too easy and life isn’t easy. I loved Emily was in a good place, Lorelai was happy and married to Luke but it wasn’t a perfect ride she may have more struggles to come, Rory her life was going places but the baby throws it up in the air and just when she found her place she has something else now and I loved that. It truly is a real ending and logical because nothing is perfect and everyone always viewed Rory as perfect even though she wasn’t but that’s what people and the town viewed her as but I think it’s only fitting she has an ending where we see it’s not perfect or what she planned and she’s got growth to go through. With the more articles and interviews from Amy and the actresses/actors we get I feel like I agree and get a lot more of the revival sure it still wasn’t perfect but I still loved it in many ways.

Also I’ll say again this ending gives all us fans the room to decide what we want. I mean for 9 years we probably all imagined what we wish would happen after that ending of season 7 and after 9 years of a wait we get to see more we got it back and I think after that wait many of us gave up but we got more! Not many shows get that. And sure not everyone is happy with the ending or are begging for more but I think for right now it’s a true good ending. I love the full circle story. I also agree with Amy of not knowing what’s to come next but right now needing a break I mean she wrote it all that took time it’s not like it was all made but she never thought this would happen so nothing can be ruled out. So I think if we are to get more it would not only take time for Amy to write more but this like Amy said has to go out to all us we will watch over again and enjoy it. I mean we waited 9 years for this I know right when I heard about a movie after season 7 I was excited but nothing came from it so I was thinking ok it’s probably not happening but it did! So I think with how long we waited we can wait for if there is more to come in the future but I’m not expecting it anytime soon and I don’t think I’d want anything soon I don’t want a rushed story just for a story I want something thought out so it would be good and a true good story for my Gilmore Girls. And if they decide this is where it ends I think I can say I’m happy with what Gilmore Girls has brought me and I’m sure the fans won’t stop writing and imagining what they believe or wish would happen after this.

• December 2, 2016 at 11:48 am

The problem is that ASP knows who the father is. Even though she tells us to be open-minded about it, we can’t because SHE isn’t open-minded about it. Getting pregnant accidentally seems a stretch, even if it is a deus ex machina thing. Which means she meant to get pregnant, either through Logan (most likely) or a surrogate. Which then means she isn’t going to give up the baby.

The whole thing also bothers me because of the timing of the reveal. To try to get pregnant and then make the reveal on her mother’s wedding day is wretched. It is one thing to knock her off her pedestal. It is another thing to make her so thoroughly unlikable that she deserves to be ostracized.

Put these things together and the show is in an untenable position. We already saw how uncomfortable it was when Rory and Lorelai were not speaking. If the show continues, how could it possibly fast-forward a few years? You can’t just gloss over them. No, it would have to start from that low point and no one wants to see that.

ASP has torpedoed her own show!

• December 2, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Or the baby is part Wookie

• December 2, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Why is getting pregnant accidentally a stretch? The percentage of unplanned pregnancies in the US falls between 45% and 52% depending on what artcle you’re reading, but that’s nearly HALF. Not to mention Rory’s recent penchant for sexual promiscuity– she’s got a boyfirned of 2 years who, despite being forgettable, she probably sleeps with, she had a one-night stand with a wookie, and she also was having a mad affair with Logan. Even with the thought that she is a perfectionist and would probably take her birth control correctly, there is still a chance for failure in that department. Maybe it was lost with her underwear.

• December 2, 2016 at 12:04 pm

This is really not tru. The revival was so real that I cried half way through it. ASP did beautiful job making this show immortal. The chaos in Rory’s head…who hasn’t lived it cannot appreciate it.

• December 2, 2016 at 12:35 pm

I am living through it, only in my version, Lorelai is more like Rory and Christopher doesn’t lie down like a sack of potatoes. (And now I’m glad I’ve been using an alias for all of these years…) There is no joy in watching that train-wreck unfold, not when Rory stops having the qualities that made her endearing in the first place.

But anyway, what part of my comment is not true?

• December 2, 2016 at 2:23 pm

She’s certainty got a different perspective to me. I feel that some of the behaviours described in the revival, particularly everything that Rory does, would have been much more forgivable a decade earlier than now. You expect people to become wiser with age, not go backward. Or, at the very least, not repeat the exact same mistakes at 32 that they made back when they were 19.

And I wish I was angry – I’m rather sorry and depressed. I’m still going to watch it and see what I think of it on screen (as opposed to described). But, unless a viewing is much different to what I expect, I don’t think I’ll be screaming about unfairness or wanting to know what happens next or any other strong reaction. There’ll just be a quiet “I see. Pity.” and then I’ll move on to something with a central character that hasn’t been warped quite so starkly from smart, motivated but naive to conceited, self-obsessed and rather pathetic.

• December 2, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Just one more. Where Rory and Logan finally are together and have a baby and live happy. Loved the rivival.
    Every time I watch Rory and Logan part I’m in tears.

• December 2, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Yes! This. Give us a Rogan happily ever after!

• December 2, 2016 at 3:51 pm

ASP did the revival proud. I don’t care what critics have to say….there will always be people criticizing. This whole show was HER vision, not ours….we are just the viewers, and yes we are the fans, but there isn’t a story line that would have made 100% of the fans happy….we got to see Lorelai and Luke get married finally. We got to see Emily grieving through the loss of Richard and become her own person. We got to see all the quirky town characters and what they were up to these days. It was endearing. I loved it.

• December 3, 2016 at 9:09 am

I agree with you 100% across the board! I’ve never been so happy to see an entire group of people like I was these people! I loved all of it!

• December 2, 2016 at 5:24 pm

She ruined it. She knew fans only wanted the show back for closure and she ultimately just repeated seasons 5, 6 with a pregnancy thrown in. Luke and Lorelai have MORE problems awesome we’ve already been put through that enough. Rory cheating sweet seen that shit side of her before as well. Lorelai Rory fall out awesome SEEN IT! We seen all of this shit. She knew what she was doing teasing Rory’s love life to get viewers and then left us with the same ending we initially got just with a pregnancy thrown in. Fucking waste of time and waste of an oppurtunity. Could’ve been great she could’ve listened to her fans and given them what they wanted but no she wanted to tease it and then lead us on and give us nothing. So frustrating waiting 9 years for closure and getting put through the same shit I’ve already seen 100x over just 10x worse with dancing pilgrims thrown in and shitty camera formats.
    She feels her ending was realistic!? Does she not understand she’s created a world which is BEYOND REALISTIC! People don’t want realistic people want an escape from the real world so invest themselves into this show for the peaceful, happy, funny world of Stars Hollow. She created Stars Hollow to be magical and now she decides nah screw it lets be realistic and piss all the fans I’ve accumulated over 16 years and shatter the whole show for them. They want closure? Let’s give them more but we’ll just repeat everything and make it more realistic and sad and dramatic and leave them even more heartbroken than they were after season 7 finale. Except this time they’ve all invested so much energy and promotion into this for 9 years so perfect they’ll be even more pissed off!
    She sucks. She knew was she was doing she was trying to mess with us the promos everything all hinted at a different show than what we got she knew what we wanted to see she filled it in in the promos and then shat all over us with the real deal.

• December 5, 2016 at 7:25 am

Agree with you 100%

• December 7, 2016 at 10:01 pm

You know what? During this whole promotion flurry and everyone repeating over and over again that this wasn’t a money grab got me really excited. I thought yes they have more to add to the story. There’s a big ending coming up that’s just going to blow our whole minds.
      But.. no. We didn’t get anything new expect seeing our favourite characters tarnished and finding out Rory was pregnant.
      She wanted us to focus on Rory’s career, but ultimately Rory still ended up jobless?
      She’s writing a book, yes. What happens once she’s written that one book? Is it just going to be like that one article she did in the New Yorker that really didn’t get her anywhere?
      She’s writing about her life with her mother, what’s she going to write about next? There’s only so much she can tell. She had no character development at all. She was even more selfish and childish and vain then believable for her character and why?
      Why not see that millions of your fans resonated with Rory? Why ruin her life and destroy everything that was good about her when we all see ourselves in her, we live sort of vicariously through her in a way. Yeah were interested in her love life because guess what? Love stories are freaking interesting Amy. Watching someone struggle for a job, no matter how much you want us to love it, does not make for good television.
      We turn to this show when were low and our real lives are spiraling to watch strong independent women thrive and have successful jobs and quirky lives and amazing relationships with friends and partners.
      It’s a TV show. A world she created to be a dream like place where everyone was like a snowglobe, Rory was an angel with interesting career goals, friends and boyfriends. She was an inspiration to be smart and successful and ambitious where other TV female leads were driven by partying and sex and alcohol, which is all good and well but Rory was different it was like a breath of fresh air.
      The boys all loved her and fought over her, she had her pick from numerous ivy leauge schools, she had amazing friends and a town that doted on her. It was good TV.
      It makes me wonder if the contributing writers on the show mixed with the Palladinos pushed Amy and Dan to maybe focus a bit more on the good shit and kept them, from in a way, torpedoing their own show.
      Like it or not Amy in the original series you majorly focused on Lorelai and her boyfriends. Lorelai and Luke. The whole show pretty much revolved around them. You also focused on Rory and her boyfriends. It was a show built on these two women and their relationships you cant just come back 16 years later and decide to make it revolve entierly about soul searching and a failing career, Yes TELL THAT STORY, but DON’T take a show built on relationships and then get the shits that your fans are more interested in that so completely deny them any substance of that and try to force them into watching stuff that shouldnt be front and centre.
      I love Rory and Jess yes. I wouldve loved to see more scenes with them than of dancing pilgrims.
      I also love Rory and Logan. But I don’t love what she did to them. She made them the worst possible versions of themselves. Both with no character development at all.
      She had so much time to think about each individual character and yet everyone who walked by Lane, Zach, Paris, Doyle, Kirk everyone just seemed like a cameo. It was sad and upsetting and ultimatley just disappointing.

• December 3, 2016 at 12:30 am

Here’s why the baby is Logan’s:

1. During the LDB evening, when they raid Doose’s, they all walk out and the last thing Logan grabs is a display tray of baby bottle candies.
    2. Wookie was too far back in time. Rory is shown drinking after. Not the Wookie’s.
    3. Not a surrogate. She tells Jess she’s probably ages out.
    4. When she calls Logan to ask his dad to make the call to Condé Nast, she says something about the “baby.” I know this is reaching, but why would she call it a baby when it’s that old?! And to Logan? Seems like hint dropping.
    5. The last four words always were the last four words. Rory was very very with Logan at the end of the Palladinos time with them. And very very monogamous. (I wish older Rory would’ve stayed true to that!)
    6. Matt Czuchry knows who the father is and is very coy about it. When they told him the last four words, you know his immediate question had to be if the baby was his.
    7. ASP’s obsession with Logan mirroring Christopher. Let’s just hope Rory realizes how sad it was to grow up without a dad and doesn’t freeze the Logan out (although his family is insane…yikes!)

• December 3, 2016 at 8:26 am

@Britney
    Overall I’m happy with the show. I particularly like how Richard’s passing was the crucial point in Emily and Lorelai’s lives. I think it was beautifully and artfully done. I love the idea of Emily shedding her high society lifestyle, moving to Nantucket, and becoming a docent. Same with Lorelai taking the next step and getting a bigger inn. It is brilliant stuff.

However, the more I think about it, the more I agree with the critics when it comes to Rory’s story line. ASP turns her from a nearly heroic character to one that is so detestable that I don’t care what happens to her anymore. That’s fine for Gossip Girl (where I can laugh at the ridiculous situations they get themselves into), but not this. And like it or not, Rory has been central to the story since day one. None if it makes sense. I’ve seen about a dozen Rory-ish characters in the last decade (some played by Alexis, some not) and nearly all of them have had more compelling stories. It is maddening.

There is an article in Paste that suggests if the show continues, it should continue without Rory. I basically agree with this. There are plenty of other characters with compelling stories. At least keep Rory at the fringes. She has so much growing up to do (if this is possible at all) that I don’t even want to watch her. Stash her away in jail or rehab or something. Show us Jess and April. Heck, even Gigi would be better.

• December 3, 2016 at 11:35 am

of course she left us wanting more…and I DO…but if this is all i get, i’m okay with it…in my mind, i believe we are left coming full circle and just like her mother, rory will have the baby certainly and perhaps in time, logan and she will connect and away they go into the sunset…or just perhaps jesse enters the picture…but that look he gave through the window was not encouraging was it… anyway, thanks for the follow up…

• December 3, 2016 at 12:02 pm

I really don’t think Rory would give up her baby, she did say she was at a point in her life where she didn’t really know what do. Although she is writing her book I don’t really feel like that’s enough. Having a baby may make the father (most likely Logan) come back so they can be a family. I think that will really make Rory feel more complete, which she really need in her life. And Lorelai will really make the whole thing better because she will want to watch the baby and it will make her feel like she has another kid. And if Logan ( assuming he’s the father ) doesn’t come back, Jess will go back to Rory and probably help with the baby too. Plus Rory has the whole town of Stars Hollow to convince Rory to keep the baby. Or we can consider the very unrealistic possibility of Rory messing with her mom after Lorelai having a huge milestone and her not actually being pregnant. Either way we must have more episodes!!!

• December 14, 2016 at 7:56 am

How is “mom, I’m pregnant” 4 words?

• December 14, 2016 at 8:44 am

It went back and forth: “Mom?” “Yes?” “I’m pregnant.”

• December 21, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Amy, I’m so damned disappointed I can’t see straight. Okay, I didn’t expect unicorns and bows, but I went through half a box of Kleenex, and for what? Is Luke going to franchise? What is Lor going to do with Drangonfly II? Will Sookie ever come back to stay? Paris and Doyle? Logan and Rory — let’s not even go there. Stupid dancing pilgrims — I fast forwarded through that lengthy mess. The very End, REALLY? I was looking for a box of cornstarch to throw at the TV. Oy to the poodles, already. I was looking for extra magic, too, and all I did was bitch for two days. Hubs was not pleased either. I finally shut up after he told me for the tenth time, “It’s a TV SHOW!” But to so many of us (my daughter included), it was so much more. On the bright side, I subscribed to Netflix just for your show, and now I can watch Orange Is The New Black to my heart’s content. Amy, you owe us all an apology.

• December 21, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Oh, and I forgot about Zack and Lane. Copper Boom. Give us more.