Is Rory Gilmore the Worst?

There’s an article on Vice that states, “Rory from Gilmore Girls is Actually the Worst.” The article goes on to explain all the ways that Rory “f**ing sucks,” from being a bad daughter, her poor taste in books, how one critical comment made her drop out of Yale, and her choices with love, particularly sleeping with Dean and having relationships with men who hurt her. They call her the “poster child of white privilege.”

In some ways, they’re not wrong. But are also blatantly wrong. Many of these “issues” are things we could all experience. Rory made mistakes growing up. She wasn’t always nice to her mom. She was sometimes petty. She got carried away in her romances, unexperienced and hormonal. It’s the reality of being a teenager and that, to me, is what made the show relatable. That neither Rory nor Lorelai were infallible.

But fast forward 9 years, I found myself more than critical of Rory in present day. The entire Rory plot line (minus the Fall episode) is the thing I dislike the most about the whole revival of Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life. Not only did it not feel like an authentic storyline, which made many scenes fall flat for Alexis Bledel, but also it felt stagnant and repetitive. We’d been there, done that, and the “problems” Rory faced were of her own making. Even the whole Logan / Rory / Paul thing felt repetitive to me. Hadn’t we already seen Rory have an affair with a man currently in a relationship? And what does it say that she’s also in a relationship while this is going on? That wasn’t comic relief, that was depressing.

We were led to believe that Rory would be in a crisis in her career, that the field of journalism was shifting under her feet, with online journalism usurping the traditional newspaper and magazine world she expected to be entering. But that’s not what we got. What we got was Rory expecting the world to open up for her, instead of making it happen for herself. Gone was the girl who took her own initiative.

When we left Rory in Season 7, she was off to cover the campaign trail for Obama. While I can understand that Amy Sherman-Palladino and Dan Palladino pretty much ignored that part of her storyline, it became apparent that Rory Gilmore was really only known for a handful of stories in the years since we’ve seen her. We are told that she’s off chasing down stories, but we don’t see it.

As a writer by trade myself, I can tell you that whether you’re writing for a publication or for yourself, the work doesn’t land in your lap. As a freelance journalist, you don’t get assigned a topic, you chase one down, you write it, you pitch it. What we saw was Rory floating around, jetting to and from London, never chasing a single story. Never writing. Drinking a lot of scotch. Clearly uninspired by everything and yet completely surprised that nobody wants to hire “Rory Gilmore” the amazing journalist.

In 9 years since leaving Yale, you would think that Rory would have grown out of being “assigned” news topics as she was for the Yale Daily News. That for her to have lived on her own for 9 years, she would have had to overcome “not having what it takes,” as Mitchum had once told her. She would have had to chase her stories and pitch herself effectively.

It felt completely disingenuous to follow her story the way we did. Perhaps we are meant to see Rory Gilmore in a crisis that represents her loss of passion for life, seen in the fact that she isn’t chasing down a single story. But what came across, at least for me, what a girl who seemed spoiled and pretentious, expecting her name to open doors that clearly aren’t opening. I didn’t like it (can you tell?). It was not the Rory we had grown to love, the Rory who pushed the boundaries to make any story entertaining.

Although Rory went through her own journey, in the end becoming inspired to write her own story, Gilmore girls (an idea that I found quite beautiful), it was once again not her idea. It was Jess. Rory’s storylines (both in the original series in later seasons as well as here) always seem to involve someone telling her what to do with her life. I was actually very disappointed that Rory was once again not the master of her own story. It left me feeling that, unless someone told Rory what to do after the book was finished, she’d be right back where she started. Waiting for someone else to tell her what to do.

Amy Sherman-Palladino criticised us fans for only focusing on Rory’s love life. She said each man in her life represented an evolution of her character. If we hold that to be true, Rory hasn’t evolved at all.

Rory Gilmore did not go on a journey. She’s just as stuck as she ever was.

What do you think?

53 thoughts on “Is Rory Gilmore the Worst?

• November 29, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Agreed, on all counts! I was utterly disappointed with Rory’s ‘growth’.

• November 29, 2016 at 4:39 pm

I 100% agree!!! Rory’s storyline was disappointing and unimaginative.

• November 29, 2016 at 12:55 pm

to be honest I think Rory is more reflective of her peers and also exhibits the classic characteristics of a High School / College over achiever. Many girls blossom to early and as a result, they get out into the real world and struggle. They tend to succeed very early without any real competition, in a very scholastic environment. Rory stuttering and stammering in her interview with the Website News site also indicative of so many book smart people, who lack in interpersonal skills, problem solving, and rebounding when their “Perfectionism” is tested. I know many girls in their 30’s who definitely found it hard to succeed in a very competitive, often mean, cut throat world. Several of my relatives gave up very quickly and chose stay at home motherhood instead and never used their degrees.

• November 29, 2016 at 3:54 pm

I agreed with this until you got to the “gave up very quickly and chose stay at home motherhood instead and never used their degrees.” Really?! The mommy wars again?? I had a Bachelor of Science in Computers and a Masters in HR and for various reasons I chose to currently be a stay at home. I do not feel like I “gave up” at all

• November 30, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Yes, the highest job a person can do is raise a good family by staying home and caring for them…definitely not giving up! Wow, can’t believe “Donna” is so narrow minded and really said that. I, too, have a Bachelor’s Degree and wound up teaching my children at home until 8th grade when they went to public highschool…two valedictorians, one homecoming king, all 3 in or graduated college and now in grad school or securing good jobs before graduating later, I would say that is definitely NOT giving up, but contributing to society in a great way. Great kids do not “magically” happen…it takes a lot of love, time and work…plus a blessing of the Lord!

• November 30, 2016 at 3:51 am

Really good perspective!!
      But- She’s Rory! Lol she was supposed to be better!

• November 29, 2016 at 12:58 pm

I agree completely with everything you have said. The only scene I enjoyed of her by herself was the reminiscing in the Gilmore mansion most of the other scenes were only good because of the other characters. It also grates so much that Mithcum was right about not having what it took because I hated him in the original. It bugged me that the slight redemption arc she got in series 7 was overlooked. ASP once said ( was it ATX?) Rory had to be something we had never seen before. She may have started off like that but by the end…well you said it all perfectly above.

• November 29, 2016 at 1:06 pm

As you may have read elsewhere, I haven’t watched the revival yet. However, I’ve read recaps and reviews and so I’m going to stick my neck out here and answer.

I think you’re right.

I also think it’s – at least in part – because Amy and Dan are really writing a season 8 that follows a season 7. I remember from somewhere (almost certainly on here!) that Amy and Dan pulled out of doing season 7 after the network refused to take their pitch for both seasons 7 and 8. I think that many of these storylines – particularly Rory’s journalism crisis was supposed to fall in season 8 (ditto Logan’s “dynastic” marriage, Jess continuing where he was, Luke and Lorelai not being married yet, etc). I think a similar thing happened with the Veronica Mars revival (which I have seen and which Rich has posted about) – that a great deal of that looked as though it had been frozen since the end of the series (her relationship with Piz for example). I suspect that, when I get to the revival, I’ll think that the best stuff is where it all does seem to be ten years later (which I suspect the Emily without Richard plot will fall into, plus Dean’s brief appearance).

However, I haven’t seen it with my own eyes, so this is a bit of a conceited guess!

• November 30, 2016 at 9:46 am

You sure you haven’t seen it yet, because you absolutely nailed it. I’ve said the same thing – you can tell which parts seemed to be a carryover of ASP’s original plan (maybe with a bit of tweaking to make them more relevant 9 years later) and which parts were written fresh and clean. (Obviously dealing with Richard’s death falls into the latter category and those are some of the best scenes – for the most part – in all 4 episodes.)

• November 29, 2016 at 1:10 pm

I feel as though Amy and Dan were angry about the way Season 7 went and picked up after Season 6. Logan had redeemed himself in Season 7 and the Revival had the old cad of Logan back. We cheered when Rory at age 22, said goodbye to Logan and hello to a brave new world with her at the helm. She finally figured out that she was in charge of her destiny and not any boy or mom or grandparents. Amy kept saying that she wanted to end the Revival the way she would have ended the series and I fear that she did just that and forgot about any growth that Rory had. I also feel like Amy was more concerned about getting her Bunhead crew in instead of giving us more Lane, Sookie, Jackson etc. I did, however, think Emily’s storyline was beyond wonderful.

• November 29, 2016 at 4:49 pm

I really agree with your perception. My daughter and I felt Amy ignored Rory’s growth in Season 7… and Lauren Graham produced some of the best episodes of Season 7, or at least I remember that she did, and her “I Will Always Love You”karaoke was one of my all time favorite scenes, and Rory leaving on the Obama Tour bus was a far more fitting ending … though we loved the Seasons just to be back in that world again. Plus, Yay, Emily!

• November 30, 2016 at 9:48 am

Amen to that. Too much emphasis on how many guest stars and cameos they could fit in and not nearly enough work on a great storyline. I think that Luke also showed tremendous regression back to S6. Seriously, after all L&L went through, he’s still telling Lorelai that she shouldn’t have any input about April because she’s his daughter and Lorelai is still just taking it?! How disappointing.

• November 29, 2016 at 1:13 pm

I agree too. I was disappointed with her character. I agree about the being told what to do. That’s probably why she did so well at school! The real problem is the Stars hollow musical! Did we have to watch all those songs and then get an explaination on why they were the way they were argh!

• November 30, 2016 at 3:55 am

Oh my gosh with the musicals! I actually fast forwarded through them! I’ll go back and watch them.

• November 30, 2016 at 9:50 am

Don’t bother – while Foster and her ex (sorry, can’t remember his name) did a great job with what they were given – it’s a complete waste of time. The only song worth singing is the one she sings a few scenes after the actual musical scene.

• November 29, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Agreed. The Rory part of the revival was the absolute worst. It almost wrecks it for me. The Lorelei and Emily aspects were lovely. It just seems so odd for a main character to be written in such a loathsome way! I understand (somewhat) the probable desire of ASP to write the characters however she wanted. But a revival for something as beloved as this – don’t you think you’d make efforts to please fans and give them a nice ending? Make it a feel-good show? That is what all the actors mentioned in interviews. About how it is such a kind show. Redeeming. Full of life. . . Not so much.

• November 29, 2016 at 1:14 pm

I think the criticism (not yours, but overall) is a bit much for the Rory character. Sure, her story line is frustrating as far as TV character who I love, but I found it to be real and probably relatable to many people.

As far as “growth,” did viewers want her to have the perfect “journey” post-college where she had a steady job that she exceeded in? Because that’s not the case for many people, even top grads, and would have been annoying for me to see as far as predictability.

While she’s definitely privileged and her character doesn’t acknowledge that, I don’t see her acting spoiled.

As far as not evolving, this is who she evolved into…someone who is stuck and unsure of what to do. Definitely evolved from her high school and early college days, away from the Rory many people loved, and the fact that she is now a bit lost and far from perfect is comforting (to me at least :)).

• November 29, 2016 at 2:04 pm

I agree… 😊 Thanks for putting it into words for me!

• November 30, 2016 at 9:40 am

I agree. In the “real” world…it’s never ever a straight path. That’s why the saying “You make a plan and the world (or God) laughs.” I’m 33 and I thought I was going to have my whole life planned out by now I knew where I was going and what I was doing…..but boy did I hit a bunch of hard left turns and speed bumps and men (ha). I can’t stand shows where everything is perfect and works at all the time…that’s not true to life. I liked where Rory was at because I can relate. I will say there was a lot I didn’t like but she wasn’t the problem.

• November 29, 2016 at 1:17 pm

I completely agree with you, Rory did not go on a journey. Instead we watched eight hours of a 32-year old woman act like an unintelligent spoiled brat that doesn’t know how to make smart decisions. The title of this post should not have a question mark after it. The Rory we see in the revival is the worst. Fact. No offense Alexis, who I love, but for starters Rory had no personality. Rory also treats her boyfriend horribly, has no respect for other women (poor Odette), makes poor career and life choices, and can’t come up with an original idea to save her life (at least she has Jess to help her out there). Fall did give me some hope though. Rory went to her dad, got sound advice, and then (from what we can tell) made a decision about her baby. I am praying that the revival is a set up for a new series, which would show Rory getting her life together. Kind of like when she has a wake-up call in the middle of Season 6 and returns to Yale… oh wait, Jess was the one that made her realize she wants out of whack then too. But, it would make sense for her to be crazy in the revival so that she could find herself in the new series. I am kind of losing hope on Rory though. Heck, let the new series revolve around Jess more than Rory. He is clearly running things anyway and already got gypped out of having his own series once.

• November 29, 2016 at 1:26 pm

There’s little chance ASP and WB will get Milo to come back for enough of a Jess character plot to satisfy many of the #TeamJess people…at least in the immediate future.

• November 30, 2016 at 10:41 am

I agree with you! Fall gave me hope for Rory. I finally saw her being the stronger Rory that can be on her own. I loved her talking with Christopher I think it truly the full circle story line of Rory raising her baby like Lorelai did. I would hope if they brought back the story she would continue growing and now go back. But I would say I’d love some more Jess in another season because there was too little of him haha. I don’t think ASP has plans for any more right now I think she’d make us wait sometime before if brought it back (which I think could mean schedules could clear for some to make time for seeing more of some characters we may not have seen of gotten enough of I not only wish for more Jess but I would have loved more Sookie and others like maybe seeing Max or even actually seeing Liz and TJ) That is IF she decides to which I can see her not bringing it back too. I go back and forth wanting more or not because I don’t know if more is what we need or if it could mess things up. Also I would have loved that Jess spin off years ago oh why did Milo have to sign on Heros haha.

• November 29, 2016 at 1:17 pm

I think this story was a rehashing of the season 6 drop out story, and some of this stuff would have worked if ASP had gotten the eighth season that she wanted. I think it’s really obnoxious that were fed this whole story about how Rory always wanted to be a journalist and spent her entire life actually working hard toward that goal (thought arguably she could have done more) and even ASP said in the EW Popfest Panel that Rory was always supposed to be a journalist, yet here we are and she is completely unwillingly to put in the slightest bit of effort to continue on with the job that she’s already been doing for over a decade. She learned to be pushy and a go getter in season 6, and she was very successful at being an editor and showed a great understanding of the field in her in panel with the other editors. I know college is different than the real world, but it’s extra depressing that after a decade of doing this, she’s forgotten all of the things she learned in her last few years of college, and would rather move back home and spend her days at the pool rather than knocking down every door trying to get her foot in another door. And it’s hard to believe that she actually managed to have some kind of career over the years if this how she handles the slightest bit of a challenge in her work.

• November 29, 2016 at 1:21 pm

How/why could the info about paul as her cuurent boyfriend leak?? I read it on this blog in summer…

And i knew rory wasvgetting pregnant only because of the 4 promo netflix pics with her belly round in fall and the little leaf at her belly

• November 29, 2016 at 1:29 pm

I agree completely. Rory seemed so out of character, too…grumpy and unhappy most of the time. I was disappointed with the reunion shows.

• November 29, 2016 at 1:36 pm

I agree it fell flat, while I enjoyed watching the show as a whole, I think you pinpointed exactly what I felt was missing!

• November 29, 2016 at 1:44 pm

Totally agree with everything! Let`s face it. She is that girl that was always treated like she is the most intelligent and most unique person in the world, but it turned out she is not that person!
    She is just a person who is caught in between the expectations of her family and friends and her own imaginations about how life should turn out for her. She never failed and she was never in the position to fight for her dreams or her future. Even when she was told that she did it all by herself (Yale drop out!) she always had that safety net. No matter if it as Lorelai, Richard, Emily, Logan, Jess or Dean, there was always that one person that shielded her from the worst consequences of her doing. She never learned to live on her own. She always lived a `story`life, fist the story of the little Girl that never fails, seconde the story of the grown up that just needs to take the step to start life, third the story of the woman with the messed up career one the free ticket to mess around because she isn`t as successful as the wanted to be at this point, and last but not least, because she wasn`t able to establish herself yet, she tries to live her mothers story.
    My advise? Rory: get your lazy butt up and start your own life! Stop trying to pretend to be someone and just start to BE someone! Get a personalty!

Sorry, if that is a bit harsh, I love Rory but she just stopped developing between season 6 and A Yea in a life!

• November 29, 2016 at 1:44 pm

I thought the Rory plotline was really unrealistic and lame. They could’ve talked to young writers (or employed a couple) for a perspective. I am also a young writer. I worked for my student newspaper, have done various jobs and tried to freelance. The way that story went was ridiculous and not in any way like the life of any writers I know.

The way Lane and Rory’s stories are handled is just sad and unimaginative. Pregnancy and lame boys are the fate of Stars Hollow girls.

Amy Sherman-Palladino is known for her plots and making the little things big and the big things little but they failed to capture any of what a good millennial story includes beyond easy jokes and most of it felt like nostalgia or conflict for the sake of conflict. That’s not what makes people love Gilmore Girls and I would have hoped for better.

• November 29, 2016 at 1:53 pm

I think Rory’s failings stem from the very premise of the show. She needed a mom, not a best friend who sometimes played the “mom card.” Lorelei didn’t know how to do it because Emily was a bad role model. It would’ve been so much better to see the chain broken. It saddens me to think that after her conversations with Christopher and Jess that she will think that the Gilmore Girls story is the best choice for her own child.

• November 29, 2016 at 2:38 pm

I am not sure. She is not perfect, she really was. But then I can relate to her. Maybe my parents or grandparents weren’t amazingly rich, but just like Rory I had what I wanted. And I think that was the biggest mistake. Us both, we didn’t have to work too hard to get what we wanted. I wanted super expensive trip abroad, sure, my parents paid. I wanted private school and living away? My parents paid for that. Didn’t have a job while in college. Rory was the same. But her mother was the one insisting on her to have the best things. This way she didn’t learn. I am 30 now and seeing Rory in the revival made me feel better. She is just like me. No proper job, no boyfriend, making mistakes. I am totally blaming my parents as I am spoiled and I was always treated like a princess. And honestly I see myself in Rory, minus sleeping with a guy who is taken. But I had a boyfriend who I was treating the same as Rory did Paul. I don’t know. It is all weird and I don’t want to explain myself to anybody, but I am trying to defend Rory (and it is my nickname since I was 16 as apparently I was like her). There are people like Rory. And honestly, she is just a human being.

• November 29, 2016 at 3:39 pm

I am a 65 year old GG fan from the very beginning! My daughter and I were so excited to watch together…I wish it wasn’t true but I was not as happy as I thought I would be after watching. Some of the scenes were more like a dream sequence than reality….Paul Anka would have been a much older dog…why was Miss Patty only in one short scene (although she did not look healthy)…and Rory being pregnant put me over the edge…everyone seems to assume it’s Logans but let’s not forget the silly one night stand in NY…so out of character for Rory…I almost hate to admit it but the most satisfying story line belonged to Emily…she finally seemed to find some peace although all the help running around her house and she being so comfortable with it was quite a stretch…also thought they could have toned Paris down a bit…a little bit of crazy goes a long way with that girl…one more comment…if they couldn’t have Sookie at the wedding why bring her back at all?

• November 30, 2016 at 1:54 am

they had Sookie and all the others at the wedding, we just didnt get to see it, we only saw the wedding before the wedding…

• November 29, 2016 at 4:04 pm

While I agree with many of your points, you forgot to mention how she took control of the Stars Hollow Gazette. Nobody asked her to do that – she saw an opportunity and grabbed it. And it wasn’t a glamorous job. I thought this was the highlight of her revival storyline. Also, I think it was clear by the end that Rory’s journey is just beginning. The series was meant to complete Lorelai’s journey, not Rory’s. Though I agree with many – I think ASP had a younger Rory in mind when she originally came up with the storyline for the final season. Image an early ’20s Rory instead of an early ’30s Rory, and the events make a bit more sense.

Despite the obvious challenges, I think Rory’s future is quite bright. I see her running and reviving the Stars Hollow Gazette and getting her book published. I see her living near or with her mom and hanging out with Lane. I always liked Rory in Stars Hollow, so this is how I’m envisioning it anyway. :)

• November 29, 2016 at 5:10 pm

@Sara

Agree with you, think you’ve pretty much nailed my thoughts on the situation.

• November 29, 2016 at 4:56 pm

I’m on my phone, so I won’t be as articulate or lengthy as others…I think, if you take AYITL as a volume, standalone, it works, and that’s good because I can love it and watch it again. But it COULD/SHOULD have been so much more. And, frankly, there is NO WAY the Rory we watched grow up would have turned into the woman we watched in those 4 episodes. That woman didn’t have an original thought, plan, emotion, or reaction.
    A person who spent every minute of her first 18 years wanting to be a reporter/writer could not have absolutely no idea what that meant.
    The Rory WE knew would have tackled an unauthorized biography of [sorry I’ve forgotten the crazy character’s name] rather than washing her hands of it AND sketching out her novel of ‘Gilmore Girls’ to include Emily as an integral part of the story AND following up with an article about “women who go on their own personal Wild” journeys. One, two, six irons in the fire at once. THAT’S what being a freelancer means. Give her a “regular” 40-60 hour day job, and THAT’S the Rory I was expecting.
    I can give you the same on Lorelai; fairly disappointing… But by season 7, I didn’t like her a whole lot.
    The only one who “grew” as a person was Emily……
    My two cents.

• November 29, 2016 at 4:58 pm

I disagree completely. Gail up a couple comments is right. Rory did chase things and she was supposed to be writing with the crazy woman in London until she got, well, crazy lol. Then she wanted to run the stars hallow paper. That’s awesome! She loved it herself. She kinda said she didn’t know if she wanted to be a journalist anymore but she felt lost. Maybe books will be her thing. Yeah Jess gave her the idea but no one told her to be a journalist. She wanted to ever since she was little. And she never acted like being a Gilmore was going to open doors lol she never wanted the handouts. From Mitchum or her grandparents. The scotch thing is supposed to be a joke here and there. So many people are acting so ridiculous about how everyone changed and the play and omg it isn’t the same! But it IS the same. They had just as many still things like the play in the original series. Look st the museum Taylor opened the bombed or all kirks movies! Rory is just like anyone else. Questioning what she wants anymore bc aspects of her life are changing. She wants Logan back and won’t say it bc he’s engaged. She misses her hometown. Her mom. I liked it and I think they will do more. The last season or two wasn’t even written by Amy so who knows where this will all end up.

• November 29, 2016 at 5:13 pm

I felt like the revival did Rory justice. When I was a teenager and watched the show I thought she was a great and relatable character. But then I grew up! I’m not that much different in age from what she’s supposed to be now and I recently re-watched the whole series. I found her to be the worst character besides Digger (barf). Everything was handed to her despite Lorelai’s desire to keep her away from the rich lifestyle of her own parents. It was nice to see Rory finally having to wake up to her own bullsh**

• November 29, 2016 at 7:11 pm

It’s fascinating that so many different viewpoints exist for fictional characters and I think it’s evidence of good, life-like writing that there are so many different viewpoints.

“It felt completely disingenuous to follow her story the way we did. ”

My opinion is pretty much the exact opposite. I watched GG as an adult and felt that the picture that was painted of her was a slow decline from a pedestal that perhaps she didn’t deserve to be put on. Yes, she was hard-working, but she was also extremely self-absorbed. She’s not a terrible person, but Mitchum was right about her. She doesn’t have the focus or awareness to succeed in the unstructured world of freelance journalism. Perhaps writing the book and motherhood will change her.

The bottom line for me: her story line in the revival, IMO, is well-earned.

• November 29, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Rory was always my least favorite character on the show. She was always awkward and weird and the supporting actors around her seemed to make her story better. It was the same in the revival. Without the supporting cast where would Rory be?

You already know I felt disgusted by her lack of morals on being the other woman. Why is that something that is ok? She broke up with Logan for cheating on her. She caused so much hurt and drama with Lindsey/Dean that yes this just felt like a repeat offender. Gross.

I would have loved to have seen more of what she had done since the Obama campaign. I know ASP wasnt interested in S7 but it happened and that was an excellent path Rory headed down. If nothing was carried over that at least should have been. Also the only passion she seemed to have was for the Stars Hollow Gazette yet didnt fight for any sort of income? For an editor? I mean WTF!

She hadnt evolved. AT ALL! Id love to see more. But what more is there to tell. Single Mom pawns baby off on Grandma Lor & Grandpa Luke to go do whatever? I dont know. Id love to see an actual ADULT decision made by her.

Team Jess but only if she grows the H up!

• November 29, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Jess is much too good for Rory!

• November 30, 2016 at 6:42 am

Not agree, sorry. But Rory´s storyline was perfect to me. She is in a crisis, she is growing up. I´m a freelance journalist, I´m an editor and I´m 30 years old. I understand what it´s happening in Rory ´s life. I´m completely sure that journey in which she is really involved it´s the journey of the generation that grows with Rory since the first season. And the journey consists in find deep inside of her who is she, what she loves most, what she want to do, really. She finish school and she went to Yale, she needs time to think again what is the next step, where road is she going to take, where she is going to walk through.
    I´m very sorry if my english is not fluent enough! Hope you could understand me. Thank you for the blog and your articles, I love to read it.

• November 30, 2016 at 7:32 am

Disagree. I know the Rory type of girls, I am one, and let me tell you – more often than not, we are stuck. I’m 26 and I am stuck beyond belief and I honestly don’t feel I have evolved the least in the past 6 years. I think Rory as few others is reflective of our generation, or as Iike to call us “the lost generation”. It’s hard thinking you’re gonna achieve everything and then getting stuck, because you don’t dare to step down and try again. We’re afraid, to be honest, and so was Rory.
    I am very grateful for this particular portrayal of a “nomadic-lifestyle-of-30-somethings”, cause that made me feel less alone.
    Thank you, Amy.

• November 30, 2016 at 7:47 am

As a long time fan, I have to say I was really disappointed with the reboot. The performances from the actors were all great as usual, and the dialogue was good, but the storylines just bothered me. They seemed inconsistent for the characters. I can see the idea of Rory having the career crossroads, but not while sloshing booze, treating her boyfriend like crap, having an ongoing affair with an engaged man and sleeping with ComiCon pickup. She was always a bit spoiled and self-absorbed, but she wasn’t callous or unfeeling. The Rory in the reboot is. And what happened to Luke? He seems more like a cardboard cutout in the reboot. He just sort of does what anyone tells him to. You’d think he would get more crotchety as he got older, like the rest of us. And Lorelei being inspired by a gaggy Broadway song to run off to the wilderness? WTF? That’s about as inconsistent with her character as you can get IMO. An XTC song inspiring her to go on a road trip and eat fast food is much more believeable.

Not only did I not see much growth in any of the characters, a lot of them seemed to regress IMO, especially the supporting characters. I was very disappointed in the Paris-Doyle storyline. The original series went a long way to make Paris a much deeper character from where she started. We left her still ambitious and egocentric, still impatient with other people, but with some real heart and vulnerability underneath. The reboot just seemed to take her back to the first season as someone who does nothing but say nasty things to people and freaks out over Tristain. No depth at all. Seems like they just turned her into her mother, and that’s disappointing. I can see Doyle going Hollywood and running off, but Paris is a great character and deserved a much better story, especially given the amount of screentime they gave her.

Also the Lane-Zack story was almost non-exisitant. Again, as far as we can tell they’re still doing the same thing ten years later – working minumum wage jobs and playing cover songs in their living room with Brian and Gil. Didn’t Gil say when he joined the band that he was going to make it this time and nothing was going to stand in his way? What’s he still doing there then? Did they just give up or what?

And April is supposedly at MIT, but she’s trying to fit in by acting like the stereotypical student at Berkeley or Oberlin. That doesn’t make sense. That and the fact that she never cared what people thought about her before, why did she suddenly start her senior year in college?

I also agree that way too much time was wasted on the musical and some of the other extraneous items. Yes, the one song was quite funny, but they could have done five minutes on that and it would have been enough. I would rather they have used more of that time on the more important storylines. I also think too much effort was put in to the gratuitous cameos – the chefs and the Bunheads and Parenthood actors who really didn’t add to the plot at all. Maybe there were just too many characters crammed in there in general.

So, that’s my two cents. It’s not that I expected everyone to have a perfect happy ending tied up with a big bow, but I did expect something more true to the characters IMO, and to leave them in a place that, as a fan, I could at least feel reasonably good about if no more shows are ever made. I don’t feel like I completely got that. Don’t get me wrong, it was well-made and enjoyable to watch, but I don’t understand the motivations of the writers in this, and I feel like they could have done better by the characters they created and we all love.

• November 30, 2016 at 8:27 am

Of course she is the worst. She is a product of her upbringing and exemplifies arrested development. All of the warning signs were there, going back to season one. One thing that struck me about this show is that Rory’s path was the least certain. It could always go a number of different ways but you knew it wasn’t going to go “according to plan”. We rooted for her to overcome her challenges but things didn’t work out that way, at least to this point in her life. I think a lot of viewers struggled to realize that this show was not a comedy that promised a happy ending for everyone. At least they didn’t go “Requiem for a Dream” on us.

Keep in mind that for many years Lorelai was truly awful too. Sure she was effective as an innkeeper and was witty but she was also a vicious, self-centered shrew just like her mother. She wasn’t redeemed until she was 48. It took her years of raising her daughter and then her father’s death to reach that point. This is deep stuff but I think it is fair given the situation.

Alexis once described Rory as “a quarter of a person”. That comment turned out to be more prescient than we might have realized at the time. She is 32. As long as she is alive, she still has time to redeem herself.

• November 30, 2016 at 8:30 am

I completely agree I think if Rory’s plot had been different and we had seen that ambitious driven girl from Yale, her character all around would have been strong and confident. Sadly it seems she only cares what others think and is completely lost and sadly unmotivated. No one likes to watch that, it’s depressing. Rory was written better in season 7 it seems, sadly.

• November 30, 2016 at 10:29 am

I agree with a lot of what you wrote so much. I don’t agree with everything from the Aric,e that Rory is totally the worst but their were many times I was disappointed in her and not just in the revival but throughout the series too. But in other ways I loved that everyone saw she was perfect but we see she isn’t. So really I feel I’m always in the middle loving something Rory does then another minute being disappointed but I think that’s just life really.

I was really hoping we’d get in the revival a little more of Rory’s career ASP like you said said fans focused too much on Rory’s love life but I feel like that’s all we saw in the revival at times I really wish we saw more of Rory trying to get more done with her career going after stories, writing. I didn’t like she wasn’t confident that she couldn’t go out on her own and need Mitchum and Logans help (which Mitchum just again made me feel like he made Rory take steps back by making it seem she doesn’t have it.) I wish we saw her at the White House I mean we saw Alexis on Michelle Obamas snapchat and she called herself Rory just that would have been awesome to see her in Washington DC reporting something. I guess though I do agree with what Alexis says about Logan and Rory: “And I think it’s a little uncomfortable for [Rory] even though she’s kind of putting on a brave face that she’s fine with it. I think she’s actually not that emotionally connected to it. I think she’s kind of just going through the motions at this point when we pick up with them.” I guess I can see she was just going through the motions not knowing total what to do but I wish I saw more of the career driven Rory we all knew she was.

I will say I loved how Rory’s character to me finally finds herself at the end again. I love she decided to run the Gazette because she didn’t want it to end and it was the first paper she read so you know she still had the passion of reporting even if it’s such a small paper she’ll always love the town and the people so that was good I thought. I love she was going to write a book (even though Jess’ idea I think he just again needed to give her a push to do some thing he knew she could and would make her happy) about her and her moms life. I just found that beautiful and when Lorelai says to just call it Gilmore Girls I smiled. I think when you see Rory so happy with writing the book shows she found what she wanted to do finally. Just finally when Rory sees she doesn’t need Logan to rescue her as she says and she dedicates herself to writing her book I feel like we finally saw a Rory I loved and always knew she’d be. So I guess she went on a journey because she did end up in a place I knew she could I guess I just saw it being a bit different in my mind. I really do think it’s beautiful too the ending of Rory pregnant because truly it is a full circle for the girls and I think it shows Rory’s journey is still coninuing.

Hopefully I made some sense with this haha.

• November 30, 2016 at 12:11 pm

What about when Rory is upset about the Stars Hollow journal and advocates for it to continue? This was her idea; she was the only one bothered by it! I agree with your article, but that moment of her taking initiative came to mind :)

• November 30, 2016 at 5:05 pm

I agree that her taking over the SHG was a positive thing but it is also a small thing in the grand scheme of things. It might be important to the town but for someone supposedly destined for greatness, a non-paying job at the hometown paper is an incredible step down.

Now she is backed into a corner. She has one or two close friends. She will probably be tethered to SH, maybe working for her mom. Jess isn’t moving back to SH to be with her. Even if they invent a character to add to the picture, how will he be any better than Pete or Paul or whatever his name was?

I am curious whether it is possible that the father is not Logan but someone from Paris’s firm. All the signs point to Logan but could it be misdirection? After all, why put Paris in that situation at all? It didn’t advance the Lorelai/Luke plot in any way.

• November 30, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Please! Please! Please! Amy and Daniel write another series and keep them coming. I’ve got a box set and am watching for the fourth time. Obsessive? No. I have major depression and anxiety and The Gilmore Girls pulled me through. Thank you for your brilliance xxx

• December 1, 2016 at 1:50 am

I have always found Rory to be somewhat spoilt and self. When she was a Yale, the way she spoke to some people on the paper when she was Editor!
    But I can relate to what she is now going through, I’m 37 and very lost. Life plans never turn out how you think they will.

• December 4, 2016 at 6:39 pm

When I watch the series again, I’m going to watch it from the perspective of Rory becoming a sociopath. I’ll also be very hesitant to share it with someone less than high school age. Maybe I’ll just pretend the show ended at the end of season 3. The first three seasons were the best anyway.