The Final Four Words: A Balanced Argument for More Gilmore Girls

If you’ve seen Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, you will know by now that the final four words are… controversial. As we expected, they were back and forth between Lorelai and Rory. And they rocked the finale in a way very few other statements could have.

Whether you loved them, or hated them, they left the series both open and closed. Let me talk about what I mean.

During the Fall finale of Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, as much was wrapped up as was left open. We had beautiful closure with Dean (the first scene to make me cry, actually!). Luke & Lorelai resolved their issues and got married. Emily found herself again. But Rory? Rory was left meandering the same path she has always wandered. She circles around trying to find herself, often waiting for someone else to tell her what to do. She remained as lost as she always was, despite her many successes of the past.

And yet, her moment to find herself has arrived. She’s found a calling as a writer for a new book (Gilmore Girls), which is so meta it harks of a finale, and yet what will she do after that? Will she remain just as lost as she is now? And let’s look further, at her love life. She’s still not found ‘Rory,’ still chasing after Logan when he’s nearly married (did she not learn from Dean?). Cheating on her own poor forgettable boyfriend. And Jess. There’s always Jess, isn’t there? He circles around, being Jess. Pushing Rory. Being there for Rory. And glancing at her with… regret? longing? consideration? That’s a loose end that isn’t really tied up, is it?

And those final four words:

“Mom?”
“Yeah?”
“I’m pregnant.”

A bombshell of a revelation. One which brings us full circle back to Lorelai and how she found herself in her whole motherhood journey. And to say that Amy Sherman-Palladino always knew these four words were the end suggests that Rory would have been pregnant right after, or soon after, graduating from Yale. That would have been even more of a bombshell, I think. Would have been more disastrous, given Rory’s ambition and the years we’ve seen her drive toward a journalism career.

Now, she’s been there. She’s tried that. It didn’t work out the way she expected, but motherhood has presented itself as her next adventure. There’s some closure in that. There’s a feeling of finality. It has caused her to reflect on her own childhood. On her mother. Her father. And how she envisions herself as a mother. I don’t think we would have seen that maturity 10 years ago, but we see it now.

So, there’s a feeling that Rory is embarking on an adventure that mirrors that of Lorelai and it feels ok. It could feel closed.

But also it doesn’t. We see Jess and that look he gives Rory. We wonder how Rory will juggle telling Logan about the baby. If she tells him. We wonder if she will reject him. If she will decide to remain single. We wonder how she will find herself, after writing her book. We wonder a lot. And that could be the room we need for more. But would that more be repetitive, with the same plot lines revolving around endlessly (is it Jess or Logan? What will Rory do? Aren’t these endless questions?)

So, I can see both sides. I can see closure and I can see opportunity. What do you see?

158 thoughts on “The Final Four Words: A Balanced Argument for More Gilmore Girls

• November 27, 2016 at 4:23 pm

The Revival was so horrible and boring, that I have no hope they could repair it with more episodes. Probably it would happen like it did with “Sex and the City”, the first movie was only drama and angst and the second was unbearable ridiculous.
    I don’t know if I could bear more disappointment. My favorite TV-show is now so destroyed, that I am not sure if I will be able to watch old episodes ever again. I am furious and enraged!!!

• November 27, 2016 at 5:08 pm

It’s not suppose to be a Disney movie … where some gal is saved by a prince! I loved all the creativity! I love how it ended … I did miss Sookie, but we knew that was all scheduling issues. I missed Miss Patty up front at town meetings; I longed for a few more “La La La’s” – but, I thought everything … the wedding, the LADB, “Wild”, everything with Emily – yes, Paris was a bit over the top, but I seriously burst out laughing at the “ladies room” scene where she puts her foot up on the door to keep everyone out!! …it was all so very creative! Amy didn’t have an entire season, she touched on everything that makes GG dear to us all and tried to bring it all up a notch – have you ever seen Stars Hollow so beautiful!! I don’t think we could ever get enough of the same feel from the original series because they were all in a different place! The dynamics of Rory and Lorelai were so different back then.
    I will most likely rewatch GG AYITL as many times as the original series, and probably watch it all from beginning to end more times that I care to admit! It is and will remain some of the best writing my favorite all time series EVER!

• November 27, 2016 at 6:05 pm

Money talks people, if this revival is successful Netflix will be after more content and I can’t imagine ASP/DP will turn down a mega payday with full creative control.

ASP hasn’t exactly had any other shows take off since her breakthrough with GG.

Also I read an article stating Graham, Bledel and Bishop have not signed on for any other projects, I believe Patterson has some movies in pre-production but is open to doing more Gilmore. The Good Wife is finished so that also frees up Czuchry too. There’s your main cast sorted and I’m sure the guest stars like Agena and co would be over the moon to come back again.

It’s important to note that Netflix make much better margins out of Original Programming like this reboot so that is in more Gilmore’s favor also.

• November 28, 2016 at 9:51 am

Seen from this angle another sequence would be logical. But good I prefer not to believe too much

• December 3, 2016 at 11:06 am

As much as I dislike certain aspects about the revival if it was written to with the idea to keep also keep the story open enough to be able to build on (just in case there is a pick up for more) it then that was accomplished.

You were right on target with everything you said about Netflix. If there is more I expect it won’t be announced immediately. It took them a while between the reboot of Full House (Fuller House) & the announcement there was going to be another season.

• November 27, 2016 at 6:25 pm

I’ve watched all four seasons twice now and I’m still in total Gilmore Girls happy land, looking forward to doing the first 7 seasons and the 2016 GG back to back in a week or so.

Amy, Dan and the cast all seem pretty happy to keep going from the interviews they’ve done and most of the tweets and comments have been positive, so as long as Netflix is on board I’m going to remain hopeful that this is not the end. I don’t think anyone saw the media storm that whipped up around AYITL this year, but the show has never had more publicity and good will than it has right now, so fingers crossed.

I like the idea of Rory as a successful author and mother, and not going back to teach at Chilton since she was clearly not thrilled with the idea and would be settling. She could move in with Paris if they got an elevator – surely Paris doesn’t actually need all 5 floors for herself, the kids and the nanny. Get an elevator Paris, screw Doyle and his architecture fetish! Although if she did end up at Chilton we’d get more Headmaster Charleston, who was so sweet with Rory and hilarious/terrified with Paris.

I’m happy they used the ending to open a new chapter.

• November 27, 2016 at 6:33 pm

I found it really out of character for Logan to have relegated Rory to mistress status. It really tarnishes the devoted boyfriend that he developed into through the end of the original series. It was frustrating to watch them in a state of stagnation, right back at their failed “no strings attached” beginnings. But it takes two…and as much as the Logan haters like to denigrate him, you can’t judge him this time without judging Rory in the same way. And man, is Rory just the worst sometimes…
    And the phrase “that’s the dynastic plan” doesn’t exactly evoke a sense of true love. I got the impression that had Rory given him the slightest indication of wanting to be together for real, he would have dropped Odette and all the family obligations that went along with her and stood up for him and Rory the same way he did during that first disastrous Huntzberger family dinner.

I honestly hope they don’t make any more. My Rogan loving heart can’t take the pain of watching these characters who felt so foreign to me.

• November 27, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Yes yes yes! Agree!

• November 28, 2016 at 2:22 am

I cannot agree more. I love Rogan, but I hated the way Rory treated Logan in the Revival. She kept reminding him about “no strings attached”. And every time you saw pain in his eyes :(.
      She was one who rejected his proposal, while there were in a committed relationship for years. That is why you cannot expect him to give everything up without knowing if he has a future with her.
      And I am also disappointed about the “full life cycle”. WTF, Rory should know better than being a single mom, raising a child without the fathers involvement, throwing all chances to have a loving family away. Lorelai was not the best role model in the end.
      If you ask me, please do not make more, do not ruin it further.

• November 28, 2016 at 12:22 pm

You are so right! And he had given her the rocket… He’s just waiting for her to say it’s what she wants. Like she can only be with him if all her other cards (that she and everyone else expect of her) line up perfectly.
        And what if Rory has a boy? Everyone presumes she’d have a girl. A boy would change the whole dynamic of him needing his father (not that girls don’t but…).

• November 30, 2016 at 9:58 am

I’m sorry but I had to comment on the boy comment. There are many women who raise boys on their own in fact I know many single women who have a boy they are raising alone. It makes it no different. Sure every kid deserve the chance at having two parents but it’s gotta be what’s right for everyone you can’t force a relationship because of a baby then that’s not fair for everyone. I think that’s kinda offensive just to say if Rory had a boy she’d need Logan…no woman needs a man just to raise a boy. That’s why they call boys a mama’s boy because they love their moms more then anything. I think if Rory had a boy it would be just like that. I know everyone wants Rory to have a girl but in my mind I never ruled out a boy and even when I thought she could have one I never thought well shed need Logan then. I think every woman is capable of raising a child no matter the sex in their own.

• November 30, 2016 at 5:33 pm

I agree with you.. Remember that Rory was the one that didn’t not want to be engaged with Logan. But if she would’ve ask him to brake up with Odette, I know that he would not think it twice…

• December 19, 2016 at 8:45 am

I agree with you. I think Logan wouldnt think twice about leaving Odette. But he cant risk it now, as you grow up, you have more to lose (money, business etc), so i guess that is why he is still with Odette and not chasing Rory.

Though, i dont know why, i have a feelibg Rory wants to be with Logan and wants him to leave her. Her question about Logan marriage seemed to be hiding a passive hope behind it. Maybe she regretted refusing Logan and she feels dreadful and a bit ashamed. So she is scared to ask Logan if he would leave Odette for her. She might be scared to ask for too much.

I think they both want the same thing, but they are too scared to know if the other one wants the same think too, so they settled down with “no string attached”. As long as they can be together.

• November 27, 2016 at 6:50 pm

My favorite scenes in the show were Luke and Lorelei’s wedding, Emily quitting DAR and Life and Death Brigade sequence. I liked that they made wedding at the end. It was shot well and it was fun that they eloped the night before the wedding. I’m happy that they showed Emily saying to the DAR that what they do is bullshit and she doesn’t care about it anymore. She became more casual, she took in the whole family of her maid and she found piece. Life and Death Brigade scenes were shot well. It was interesting sequence, beautifully lit and fun ideas. I’m glad that Rory and Logan had closure. You can see that they still care about each other but they move on. Even though now that she will have Logan’s baby, who knows how the story will go. That’s why Rory probably went to talk to Christopher. She wanted to find out how did he feel about not being involved in Rory’s life. So maybe she will make the same choice as her mother and will try not to involve Logan as much, or maybe she will let him in her life. And maybe Logan will choose a different path from his family. It didn’t seem like was marrying this woman because he loved her but simply because that was a “dynastic plan”. We also saw that Rory would always come for comfort to Logan and he would always listen and try to help. He never pushed her to do anything she didn’t want but he always supported her decisions. Maybe because his family always pushed on him the life that he didn’t want and never allowed him to be what he wanted to be. As for Jess he did push Rory to do better, which helped her a few times. But we didn’t see the romantic connection between them anymore. It did seemed that Jess had feelings for her when he looked through the window at her but I didn’t see any feelings from Rory’s side. It would be great to see more episodes of how the story will develop but if not, it’s still a nice ending. Rory was lost but know she will write her book and will have a child who will be a purpose of her life, just as Rory was for Lorelei. It was a full circle.

• November 27, 2016 at 6:56 pm

I will add that you can sign me up for a LDB spinoff where they raise Rory and Logan’s baby “three men and a baby” style. I don’t know why they would end up raising the baby, but I do know that hilarity would ensue and I would love every minute of it.

• November 27, 2016 at 7:03 pm

But she also slept with the wookie….?

• November 27, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Thank you! And maybe Paul?

• November 28, 2016 at 5:20 am

That’s what I keep thinking!

• November 27, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Rory is not finished with Jess. Jess, will always be there. What if it’s not Logan ‘ s baby. Don’t forget about the one night stand with the “Wookie”. Questions abound that still need answering.

• November 28, 2016 at 2:21 am

yes, she had that one night stand. But it doesn’t fit the timeline. If she was pregnant from the Wookie she would’ve learned about it much earlier and would’ve been a couple of month in already. I think the one night stand was in spring and she learned about the pregnancy in the fall episode

• November 28, 2016 at 5:21 am

We only know when she TOLD her mom. Not when she found out.

• November 28, 2016 at 7:21 am

Sure, but with all due respect this doesn’t make a lot of sense.
          1. her belly would be visible (in fall she would be around 6 month pregnant)
          2. she would have quit drinking. (between spring and fall she was drinking all the time)
          3. she would have spoken with her Dad earlier
          4. There would be no full circle

• November 27, 2016 at 8:45 pm

I really like the theory I’ve read on the choice of the Sam Phillips – Reflecting Light as the wedding song.

Yes it was the song L & L danced to at Liz and TJ’s wedding so fist perfectly but also if you listen to the words maybe it has a hidden meaning about ASP also.

“Now that I’ve worn out
    I’ve worn out the world”

Could this be ASP telling us that she has ‘worn out’ the Gilmore Girls story, just some food for thought!

• November 27, 2016 at 9:56 pm

First off gotta say I loved the revival yet it left me frustrated at times and just thinking how many things weren’t tied up or we didn’t get much more of new different plot lines like I thought we would. I still loved it but I will say I still have an itch that it could have been better with such a long wait.

So I totally went into the revival saying I’d be ok if Rory ended up with Logan (even though I always be team Jess) but as soon as I got to Spring I just couldn’t deal with him. I was really disappointed in how Rory as a grown adult was deciding to be with a engaged man and lied to her mother/best friend about it. Plus I hated how she treated Paul I know it was pro a Love ya suppose to be a bit funny but it kinda rubbed me the wrong way at times. ASP always talked about fans being so focused on the men in her life yet to me she made Rory seem weak at times that she always went back to this already taken man. I just think Rory as a character was stronger then that. I don’t care if people ship Logan and Rory people have every right to but I think this revival just didn’t do anything good for Logan. Yes Rory is at fault too but all I have to say is if Logan really loved Rory he would have left his fiancé, he wouldn’t care what his family thought but he does and that’s why I can’t agree he deserves Rory. I do agree with people who say that Logan is her Chris, which I think ASP has said and Alexis kinda hinted at too. They both listened to their families and always tried to please them. Chris’s parents didn’t like Lorelai and Logan’s didn’t like Rory. I mean the one scene we saw Logans dad I’m the revival said it all. He still to me made Rory feel like she didn’t have what it takes to make it by saying he’d make the call for her, then when he left the table just the look he gave her when she looked away said it all to me. The last moments Rory and Logan spent I also think said it all when Rory asks if he’s really gonna marry Odette and he said that’s the dynastic plan just shows he doesn’t deserve her if that’s all he cares about is this plan he is set on. Him giving her the key too rubbed me the wrong way I know it’s for writing but it also made me feel like it’s also so she can continue to be on the side now that Odette lives with him. I was happy to see there was a glimpse of the stronger Rory back when she gave him the key and said goodbye to him and not only because this “relationship” frustrated me but I think Rory deserved better and was stronger then always going back to him. Like Matt said they did get a sweet ending. I think Rory’s talk with her dad says so much though you know she went in there knowing she was pregnant and yes it’s most likely Logan’s so she was asking all the questions because I think like her mom she was gonna raise this kid as a single woman. I feel not only was she kinda calling Chris out on not always being there for her when he did have chances but she just wanted to know how he felt because she is gonna do the same herself and I think she needed some feedback knowing what she was gonna do. I know people hate saying Jess is Rory’s Luke or they can’t be together because they are cousins (which there’s no blood shared between them so it’s not that weird) but I always will think that too. Sure he had faults as a teen but who was perfect as a teen but Rory haha. But he grew up and matured. Like Luke with Lorelai Jess always wanted the best for Rory even if that didn’t include him (think of their last meeting in season 6 he was hurt Rory still loved Logan but he didn’t stop her from being with him). ASP said herself “We always played that Rory and Jess saw each other for what they were. And that was the great thing about that relationship. He really got her.” I loved that Jess suggested Rory write the book about her and Lorelai that just made me smile (also when Lorelai says drop the “the” and it just be Gilmore Girls oh the feels) he always knew Rory would do great things and wanted her to see that too. I think the last moment we saw Jess when Luke asks if he was over Rory and he says yes but yet we see him looking at her with that longing look said it all, it said he still loved and cared for her. Sure you can say Rory wasn’t in the same place as Jess but think about Luke and Lorelai they were never in the same place either. Just saying they are similar. I also felt Jess didn’t get closure while the other two boys did. Plus Milo said “It’s never over.” Which could mean many things but as a Lit lover I’ll say that’s for Rory and Jess.ni know people will say Lorelai and Rory are different though we can’t assume they’d do the same things but really they are similar when you think about it. Lorelai was very smart and going to Yale until she got pregnant and Rory was a very smart girl. Lorelai ran away from home with Rory when she couldn’t deal with her parents and what they wanted and Rory ran away from Lorelai when Lorelai wanted her to go back to school and that and Rory didn’t want to. I’m just saying they are similar people (I couldn’t probably think of more too but I need to stop ranting). Not all of us will agree everyone has their thoughts on this and no one has to agree with me those are just my feelings when watching. Knowing ASP had these words planned makes me think there won’t be more which I can agree with yet parts of me wants more too haha. Really this was full circle with these Gilmore Girls starting with Lorelai pregnant raising her daughter and now it ends with Rory pregnant which is kinda beautiful in ways. I also do think having this ending and nothing more is right for one reason it leaves it open for everyone to have what they want. Logan lovers will believe she tells Logan she’s pregnant and they get together and are happy. While Jess lovers will say Rory and Jess find each other and have their happily ever after with how Jess still looked in love with Rory at the end and him always knowing her and wanting the best for her aka being her Luke. Because really there’s no signs pointing anyway so everyone can think and believe what they want. We don’t get true closure but really if someone wants to think what they want then they truly get the ending they believe haha.

Now after all that rant I have to talk about stuff I loved so people don’t think I just wanted to complain about anything because there was so much I loved. Emily was amazing her taking with the DAR was one of my favorite moments really all her moments I loved so much. I loved Lorelai was gonna open more of dragonfly inn which would probably mean Micheal would stay. :) Michael having a husband made me smile plus knowing he wanted kids and Micheal interacting with kids at the inn made me laugh. I loved Paris she had great moments. Lane was adorable too she was still so protective of Rory. Also can we talk about her waving at her dad because everyone wondered where he always was haha. Lorelais nightmares made me laugh plus her dream with Paul Anka. Also talking about Paul Anka I loved that dog. Kirk was awesome and hilarious like always with his new business, his second film, and his pet pig petal. I loved Sookie moment even though I wish there was more of her. Just how she knew all the chefs were there made me laugh. Luke was great even though at times both him and Lorelai I wanted to grab and shake them for not talking to each other. His speech to Lorelai about not wanting to break up was one of the best moments though and I loved he still had the same ring and Lorelai wanted nothing but that ring. Lorelai and Emily’s relationship I loved seeing it all. Richard death and spirt being so included all the episodes just always hit the feels. The scene that made me cry the most was when Lorelai called Emily about her favorite memory about Richard….oh the tears I cried. Of course you know I loved Jess. :) Just all the characters were amazing. I really loved the moment with Rory and Dean it was so cute I’ll admit. Also knowing Gypsy was also Emily’s maid made me in awe, which speaking of the maid just knowing Emily had one maid and she hired the whole family made me smile a bit that it was like Emily had another little family she wanted to help and take care of also. I was so happy to see Lorelia and Luke married finally and just the scene of them getting married the night before was just so perfect and cute. Of course the Gilmore Girl moments of our girls were also beautiful too. Just you can see I loved everything pretty much haha.

I’m gonna stop taking now because I really talked too much….and I’m sorry about that. I have no friends to talk about Gilmore Girls too so I really wish I had most of you to talk to you’d make my life all the better. Haha.

• November 28, 2016 at 2:57 pm

I do not think you have to apologize. I sincerely think that one of the team Jess Dean or Logan have always been inexhaustible on the subject laughing. And above all this end which in any case leaves us unhappy

Je ne pense pas que vous deviez vous excusez .Je pense sincèrement que l’on soi de l’équipe Jess Dean ou Logan nous ont toujours été intarissable sur le sujet mort de rire. Et surtout cette fin qui dans tout les cas nous laisse méontentes

• December 3, 2016 at 11:56 am

I hated Jess’s idea of Rory writing the book. In the first place clearly her mother doesn’t want her to. Although it’s Rory’s life writing about it would be putting her mothers life out there which is an intrusion of her mother’s privacy. It would created strife with the town as well. People are people & there would be hurt feelings regardless of who she included & how positive it was. It would be an invasion of so many people’s privacy.

I think it was the worst idea ever. She & her mother could whether it but I think it would absolutely destroy her relationships with so many of the people who were there for she & her mother.

Jess never had that so he’d never get that aspect. I think his suggesting Rory writing this book is confirmation he never really “got” anything about Star’s Hollow and never really grasps Lorelai’s and Rory’s relationship.

There are aspects of “the other side” of life Rory really enjoys. There’s nothing wrong with that as long as one keeps in perspective that side of life is the frivolous not the core of life. Which she does. There can be good done from that side of life. Which many do. That’s a side of her life Jess would never want to be a part of. It’s a side of Rory’s life she will always be a part of. Lorelai doesn’t care about that side of life at all but as I said, Rory does & she has close friends in that side of life.

Logan can float between both sides of Rory’s life better than Jess can.

Rory clearly never wanted to marry until she “made it”. Mitchell knew Rory wanted that and it meant the world to her. If it continues wouldn’t it be interesting if Mitchell had been instrumental in working behind the scenes to keep Rory from making it because he realizes if Rory ever really makes it she’d finally be in place where she was ready to get married. Logan may put up with his dad’s crap in regards to himself but he’d blow sky high if he found out Mitchell had me messing around with Rory’s career. Logan’s fiancé was selected by Mitchell & pushed hard on Logan. It seems Mitchell is desperate for Logan to get married. Mitchell has all the money in the world. He had an extraordinary amount of power in his business & his social circle. A power marriage for Logan is not something Mitchell needs in any manner. If he feels he has Logan securely under his thumb he wouldn’t still feel so strongly negative towards Rory. If you think about even Mitchell’s current reaction to Rory that is a reaction from someone who feels threatened for some reason.

• December 3, 2016 at 11:57 am

** correction “weather” not “whether”. No edit option here.

• November 27, 2016 at 11:08 pm

It’s not the wookie’s, do the math. (It happened in april-may and she wasn’t even showing in november when she told Lorelai)
    Rory wouldn’t keep the baby a secret, that’s not who she is.

• November 27, 2016 at 11:33 pm

Eventhough there were good scenes, overall the revival was quite bad. So many things where I just go “What was the point?!”

What was the point for:
    – (fake) Tristan
    – Francie
    – Paul – maybe I didn’t get the joke, but I just thought that was ridiculous!
    – the two boys catering to L+R’s needs at the pool and when delivering the Gazette – couldn’t they have made Steve and Qwan do that?
    – the muscial was so, so pointless (except the last song maybe)
    – Hep Alien rehearsal
    – why did we have to see Jason again?
    – why was Christopher not at the funeral?
    – the whole horrible thing with Berta

Just aarrgh. Too many times it just felt like “oh we should show that, because fans loved it” but not because it serves the storyline. Most things – even if they were nice to see – served absolutely no purpose other than “being there” and make it seem that too much time was wasted.
    And like many others, I think ASP totally ignored Logan’s character development from even her own seasons, not just S7. The only closure with any of the boyfriends was with Dean, the Jess and Logan archs are left hanging like before. And overall I thought that there was not enough of Emily, considering the huge impact of Richard’s passing.

• November 28, 2016 at 12:42 pm

I think the whole point behing Paul’s existance is to remember all the “#Team________” fans out there that Rory’s story is not about the boyfriend – like, she doesn’t even care that much.

• December 8, 2016 at 2:23 pm

I think the Stars Hollow musical gets too much hate. I thought it was very true to the silly events that Stars Hollow always put on, like the museum, Miss Patty’s dance recital with Kirk’s mime performance, and The movie in the park thing with Kirk’s short film. I do think that the revival relied way too much on nostalgia instead of the clever and creative plots and jokes that they used to come up with. I personally hated all the acid dream montage sequences like the LDB and Luke and Lorelai’s wedding. I thought they were cop outs, visually they were pretty but they didn’t have much of a point. I think I was really disappointed not to see the whole town and all the people who have helped them and cared for them at the wedding. I didn’t get the whole Wild thing either, it seemed so out of character for Lorelai. Overall I didn’t think it was as good as the series but I loved Emily’s storyline and that almost made it worth it.

• November 28, 2016 at 12:26 am

I cried more times than I could count.
    ASP did great job with Sookie, considering they did’nt have much time with MM.
    I loved seeing lots of past characters come back for cameos like Digger, Francie, Dean. I think Headmaster Chaleston left small window open for new material, Rory getting Master’s while preggo, and then coming to realization Chilton was a good fit for Rory to impart wisdom to our disconnected socially, plugged into social media youth of today.
    This gives L&L a chance to help raise a baby, tho not their own, influences and imprinting of these two as grandparents could be hilarious.
    Logan, if found to be “The father” could give us the absent father brillantly, I can envision him freaked out at the thought of screwing up his child like His Father had been so heartless. Giving Rory space to do for her chlld as she sees fit.
    Jess is still at 32 way too nomadic to be pinned down with another man’s baby.
    Time for a new attempt at a relationship with an unkown? Maybe Rory would surprise us all and allow a first female full blown encounter with our ver own Paris? Paris has always come off way to strong not to end up, appropriately in another woman’s arms, why not try out Rory first? This is a twist sure to rick Emily Gilmore! Lorelai would need a bit of time to absorb, but as always come full circle with, as long as Rory’s happy.

• November 28, 2016 at 12:47 am

I don’t think the series is over at all. I think the Pallodino/Sherman -Pallodinos left just open enough for more. There was a lot of loose ends tied up and It’s clear that Lor
    Still wants another child and it’s also not sure that Rory’s baby is Logans…remember the one night stand she had people?! Although a lot of us would love to see her and Jess I don’t think the writers would jump to that in a another YITL GG possibly because of their past off of the show. I still think Logan is the better match for her. He constantly hands her what she needs. Coddling almost and although she appears strong and independent there’s a lot of times where she couldn’t progress without him…or anyone for that matter

• November 28, 2016 at 2:10 am

I’m just so thankful that we got to see new episodes at all.
    When watching ‘A year in the live’ I was laughing, crying and sometimes I felt stunned, excited, shocked… It felt like being on an emotional rollercoaster. To me it was perfect! Even though I wasn’t happy the way certain characters evolved I thought that everything still made perfect sense in the end. This show was A-SP baby and she wanted to do it and finish it how she always imagined it to be, no matter what the popular opinions were. I admire her for that.
    It’s not my show and I’m not really entitled to judge the outcome. I’m just the observer. Remember: ‘the journey is the destination’.

Like I said there were a few things in the revival I didn’t enjoy that much (but like I said, no judging. I still enjoyed I and I wouldn’t want to have it any other way)

Lorelai: I couldn’t help but feeling sorry for her all the time. I felt like she was going full mid-live crisis. Literally she was sad and teary 80% of the screen time. Especially the Inn situation with Michel leaving and Sookie already left, left me feel so sad. I wish they would’ve included the opening of the new Hotel. So at least we would have had one positive outcome for Lorelai. I mean her eventually marrying Luke was a non-brainer. I imagined them to be way further in their relationship and much more stable.
    Rory: To me the Rory storyline made so much sense. The perfect little girl is long gone and that’s fine. She is not a bad human being. She is human. I always preferred her with Logan and my heart broke when she realized it was over. I don’t really care about Jess that much. Don’t get me wrong. I think he is a very good guy. I just never thought that Rory and him were a good match. To me they were always just better of as friends. Rory struggling with her career is all too reliable. To me she never had the freelancer personality (introvert) so it kinda makes sense that she is not where she wanted to be in her career. Regarding the book: loved that! Her surprise pregnancy: loved that! Full circle!
    Paris: Since I always loved Paris and Doyle together it made me sad to see that they were divorcing. I thought they were the real deal. She has always been a high achiever and the job she ends up with was ideal for her. I didn’t like her not having a good relationship with her children and the fact that her children prefer the nanny. Sometimes I just want the circle to be broken. Imo Paris at Yale was the best Paris. She still was eager and stubborn sometimes but she was sensitive, funny and caring also. Wish we would’ve seen a little bit more of her sensitive side.
    Emily: Loooooooved every single thing about the Emily storyline. It was pure perfection. When Emily was calling out the DAR Ladies I was so proud of her. With Emily we got full closure.
    Dean: Out of all of Rory’s ex-boyfriends Dean got away the best.
    Lane: She had no story at all. Like what is she doing, how is she feeling,.. so many questions? I also kind of got the impression that she and Rory don’t have the same dynamic anymore. Are they even still best friends?
    April: OMG this was priceless. Her character evolved really well. She came off as really likeable.

Can we also talk about how certain people didn’t age at all? Like Babette (and Murray), Taylor, Kirk, Luke, Christopher, Lane, Gil & Brian, Gipsy, Michel, Sookie, Jess, Logan, Ms Kim, Emily, Jackson,…. they look the same!

Characters they should’ve not brought back:
    Puff leader (even forgot her name)
    Tristan (who wasn’t even Tristan)

Unlike most people I did not flat out hate the musical sequence. I just wish the shortened it. But I loved the fact how everyone but Lorelai enjoyed it. Their excited faces were priceless. But can someone please explain to me why Lorelai was so anti?

• November 28, 2016 at 9:55 pm

I agree that all the people that you mentioned haven’t aged much. Except for Luke, he definitely looked older.

• November 28, 2016 at 4:22 am

I was fairly disappointed (I hate to admit). Clearly there were several scenes that were outstanding such as the “life and death brigade” plus Roby musical. I thought it was brilliant. As well as the wedding scene. Emily’s character evolved into a great one. But overall, I missed the rhythm the show used to have. It was much slower, less energetic as I hoped to see in a revival, particularly because a significant part of the show’s charm was its fast talking, fast pace, fast life dynamics. I also felt that not all characters felt “right” in their old characters and it wasn’t as smooth of a dialogue and interaction between them. I could not understand the whole Stars Hollow musical scenes. It felt out of place, a bit unatutual and they were quite long. Nonetheless, I truly enjoyed being back to Stars Hallow and watch all of them again! I hated that it ended so open ended but I love it because it gives me hope there will be more episodes. I hope there will be more because four are just not enough!! Also I think that if more are created ASP will be able to bring back that energy I missed so much….I vote for many more episodes!

• November 28, 2016 at 5:17 am

As a single mother myself I can relate to Lorelai and dad not being around much and mom being the main caregiver. It is hard to be a parent and twice as hard to be a single parent but the same blessings of motherhood. So glad her and Luke got married. Wish we saw a big wedding. Christopher will always be Rory’s dad but Luke is Lorelai’s best friend and was there far more than Christopher. Wish Sookie stayed at the Inn. Rory is a good person and career-driven but has made mistakes in dating like we all have. I hope motherhood and new career workout for her and I want to know who the father is. Hopefully Logan and not a one night stand or a boyfriend she does not want long term. Jess hurt Rory when he took off on her when he failed high school and never said a word. Then said he loved her and took off again. She could not count on him. Logan cheated on her with 3 women after they had a fight because he was being a jerk. Jealous over Jess. Dean was a good boyfriend but they should not have cheated on his wife. I am glad Jess has a writing career he loves. He is much more mature and responsible. I am glad Dean has a new wife and kids and seems happy. Logan is starting his soon to be marriage off badly by cheating. He should be single and alone for a long time and work on himself. Rory needs to be single and alone for awhile and focus on her child and finding Rory.

• November 28, 2016 at 9:09 am

I liked the ending. The beginning was a bit choppy and some things in between just made no sense but were fun to watch (ldb). If Rory lives in London how was she back so often…the first 2 hours were a bit difficult to follow, then i just went with it. I like how all 3 of the womens lives were explained. And surprisingly after watching it all i would prefer Rory and Logan end up together. I would love to see a few more episodes to play out the rest of the story. But for Rory to not recreate her mom’s life but to do the complete opposite of her mom. The whole point of life is to grow and learn from it. I would like for her to include Logan in the baby’s life, for Logan to help her and be with her. Yes it may make things difficult with his family, but he’s made a name for himself and bought homes that they could live in. And the best part of all would be that Rory have a boy, break the cycle, start something new! Otherwise it is GG all over again and we’ve seen that play out already. Just another 6 more episodes please…1 hour long and end it great, a true ending no cliff hangers. That’s just my opinion.

• November 28, 2016 at 10:12 am

Hated the musical. Lost precious time. That time could have been giving to a Lane story line.
    Still processing everything. I had an ache in my belly all night after I finished Fall.

• November 28, 2016 at 11:58 am

I don’t know. Of course there are unanswered questions but I’m not sure ASP wants to answer them. With the reVival she practically gave the middle finger to “teameveryone” and she did always insist it wasn’t about who she ended up with. Except, what was it about Amy? Rory’s thriving career? Her mature decisions? Her growth as a person? The inconsistencies between what ASP says and how she writes these characters really gets to me. I mean of course deep down I’d love to get the Logan/Rory hppy ending I thought we’d get in the revival, but aside from Rory’s plot I’m not sure how many more stories there are left to tell for these people.
    I say leave every Jess and Logan fan to fantasize about their happy endings and put this series to rest.

• November 30, 2016 at 12:28 pm

After processing it the only thing I could say it was truely about was Emily. I don’t know if that was always the intention, but all in all she was the one who has the best arc, the most development, the resolution, the growth… to me the revival ended up being a show about Emily with the other two thrown in. I actually didn’t hate that, though.

• November 28, 2016 at 1:48 pm

I need more. I’m saying it. I absolutely need more. This was not enough for me. I’m trying to wrap my mind around why ASP did things this way, and often I get her point, but more often I feel as though this was not enough.

I understand that ASP wanted things to come full circle. History is somewhat repeating itself. Yes, yes we get that, we do. But is it enough? No. For the record I need to state that while I know the focus wasn’t supposed to be on Rory’s boyfriends, I am Team Jess. With that being said, I was willing to accept the possibility of her not ending up with Jess (even though I really think they should end up together). When I watched the first episode Winter, I thought to myself, “Ohh they’re going to have her end up with Logan”. While I’m not a big Logan fan, I mentally prepared for this. However, once I saw that Rory’s arrangement with Logan took place knowing that he was engaged to someone else, I completely changed my mind. Unacceptable! Yes, she’s human and not perfect, but didn’t she learn from the past with her relationship with Dean when he was married? That was bad enough, but I think viewers/fans chalked it up to her being young and naive, and a lesson learned. This time around, Rory knew the whole time what she was doing, and didn’t seem to care that it’s not only immoral, but it’s hurting someone else involved. This show has been called “sneakily feminist” (I think by either ASP or Lauren Graham), but what Rory was doing was just plain sneaky, and definitely not sneaky feminist. After what Rory and Logan were doing I don’t see how anyone can support that relationship. Most of my friends are split between Team Logan and Team Jess. Well the Team Logan fans were crushed as well. Even if the baby is Logan’s, that relationship is now forever tainted, and I don’t know many people left rooting for them.

As for Jess, I know Jess was not always good to Rory when they were kids. Even though I’m 100% Team Jess (and always will be), I can admit how flawed he was and how flawed their relationship was. He was not always good to her plain and simple. But out of everyone I think his character did the biggest turnaround, redeeming himself so much. I know Rory wouldn’t necessarily end up with someone she dated when she was 16, BUT Jess was very different at 16 then he is now, and I was hoping they would use that to get them back together. I loved how he once again pushed her forward. He gave her a new passion, a new career, and in a sense a new purpose (yes I know the baby is going to be her new purpose too, but still). He knew exactly what she needed, and had no problem voicing it. I was waiting, hoping, she would have that “Eureka” moment before it ended and realized that about Jess, leading to their romance being rekindled. I was at least hoping that they’d show a glimpse into the future. Or even the tiniest hint that maybe he’s her Luke.

I think it’s fair to say the baby was Logan’s. And I think it’s also fair to say that Logan is Rory’s Christopher (at least somewhat). The circumstances are not identical, but there is somewhat of a parallel. I think that’s why Rory had that conversation with her Dad. During that talk I felt as though Rory was not just trying to get info for her book. I couldn’t pinpoint at the time exactly what they were going for. Was she just getting out questions that we never saw her ask before? Maybe, but I knew at the time there was something more, something they weren’t spelling out for us. When Rory said she was pregnant, that scene with her father made so much more sense to me.

I think ASP wanted the baby to give Rory’s life meaning the way Rory did for Lorelai. I get that, I do. But I feel as though they changed Rory too much along the way to make that happen. I’m glad to see Rory’s not perfect, and we all do go through stuff questioning our lives. But it seemed like they changed Rory too much, and she was not the girl we all knew and loved. I think we need to see more of her journey to understand and accept what we saw. Maybe then we’ll understand and love her journey more. If they aren’t planning on doing anymore episodes I wish they at least showed us snippets into the future: Rory getting her life together for the baby, Logan’s involvement and non involvement, dates with frogs along the way…and the cherry on top would have been to see Jess there for her through it all, helping with her child, fixing things around her house, maybe promoting her book…until one day she realizes he’s her Luke. I was so hoping ASP would make the Jess Luke parallel.

On a side note, even though I was not Team Dean, I think their scene was really sweet. It was exactly what it should be. It reflected their relationship: a first love, that is a sweet and safe memory, but not meant to last. I only know one Team Dean fan, and she knew Dean wasn’t endgame, but was glad to see their relationship nicely reflected on. Even though Dean and Rory ended long ago, it was a beautiful sense of closure.

I think that people who were Team Single Rory for the revival though were crushed too, because they were hoping she’d be strong, and focused, and definitely not sleeping with her ex while he was engaged to someone else. As for the people who were Team Single Rory…I understand that notion as well. Like ASP has said this show is more about mothers and daughters, then about romantic relationships. I get it. But I think it made sense to have Rory single the first time the show ended. Even though we all had our Teams and picks for Rory, the truth was she was still veryyy young, and had her whole future ahead of her. She was just starting her career and definitely not ready to settle down. She was still finding herself. Made perfect sense. This time around, she was still finding herself at 32, which is completely okay, but I still think ASP should have given us a something a little more solid in the love department. Maybe she was trying to illustrate the notion of “You can’t be with someone until you can be with yourself” and clearly Rory was not together by herself yet. Also understandable. That’s why I wish we either got a glimpse into the future or MORE EPISODES.

I know there are non Jess fans on here, so I’m not looking to debate, just venting a bit. This reply isn’t meant as an Ode to Jess (even though I still think they should have ended up together). I think no matter what Team you’re on, even if it’s Team Single Rory, I think we’re all a little crushed and all left hanging a bit. I was willing to accept defeat, just not like this. Just stating some opinions, because after the revival I had so many. The main one being: WE NEED MORE!

• November 28, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Oh after reading this I have found someone who also rants like me haha. Just I very much agree with everything you said I even said most of what you said in my own comment I posted before: like the Logan and Rory “relationship”, I too went in ready to accept Logan with Rory only to not be able to because of how their “relationship” was just based on lies and cheating, I’m too a team Jess always, Logan is Rory’s Chris to me like you said they are different but similar, and Jess is Rory’s Luke and I don’t care if people disagree because Jess always saw Rory for who she was and wanted the best for her. Just I hated Rory being a grown adult in her 30s acting the way she did when she knew Logan was engaged and had a boyfriend of 2 years who she always forgot his name and treated like dirt. You also said some things that I didn’t even think about but make so much sense to me also. I agree they changed Rory too much ASP always said we focused to much on which guy for Rory but I really think they put to much focus on her and Logan I would have rather seen more of her career and finding herself like Amy talked about. I loved the ending Dean got and he was never a favorite of mine but their ending was so wonderful it made me smile, they got closure. Logan got some closure but with now Rory pregnant people will say it’s not closure though I was finally proud Rory broke it off with him because finally I saw more of the Rory that didn’t need a guy to fall back on when something was wrong she was gonna be her own person. Jess I don’t feel got closure at all especially adding that ending of him staring at Rory and you know he’s not over her even though he tells Luke he is. Yes Rory was single which after awhile I wanted too but she truly wasn’t single I think her being single and searching with her career would have been so much more better for her character but can’t change it now. Every ship I think kinda got a short end besides Dean because they got a great ending plus Dean seems happy with his family but everyone else kinda got and what of senerio now. I know ASP planned this ending for awhile and I think she may have wanted to end it this way cause it’s her full circle plus it leaves it open for the fans even though I think most want more I just know if there was more some fans won’t be pleased so I wonder if she left it like this because fans use their imagination for their ending they want. I go back and forth wanting more or not haha. I guess time will tell. I, gonna stop ranting now because most what I said her I ranted about before haha I just had to tell you that you’re literally me with all your thinking :) *high five*

• November 29, 2016 at 5:14 am

I totally agree what you’re saying: They did change Rory too much. She seemed so cold and careless now, I didn’t recognize her. I have always loved Jess and Rory together, but the way Rory treated Jess, I don’t know if Jess deserves that kind of woman in his life. She didn’t hug him, or talk about their past. As if the past had never happened.
      When I had watched the revival for a second time, I realized, that at some point, Jess was the only one who seemed stable, and knowing what he was doing.
      Question: Why did Lorelai blow a kiss when Jess was leaving the house? It felt weird, since we all know what Lorelai’s opinion about Jess has been in the past. How much did he spend time with the Gilmores anyway? Did Lorelai and Jess call a truce? And the way Rory just stood there watching Jess reading a book (with Luke, Lorelai and Kirk), as if he was a semi stranger or something. I don’t know. Something in their storyline didn’t add up. I had hoped, that at least Rory and Jess would’ve been buddies, talking about their past. Teased each other, a bit. But no. It was all very akward.

• November 28, 2016 at 4:12 pm

If there is more Gilmore Girls please Amy Sherman-Palladino please stay far away. Far, far, far away.
    She has her perspective regarding the show & the characters.

There are a few good things about the revival but most of it just was awful. Not the characters – they were all wonderful a usual. But the writing of the story lines.
    Emily giving a graphic, gory narration at the whale museum to kids?
    Rory being a failed journalist?
    Rory sleeping on the spur with some random Wookie?

The stupid, stupid musical which was wasted time & added zero to the story. It was just cheap easy writing to fill up space. That’s all it was.

Was AS-P intentionally trying to destroy the essence of Gilmore Girls?

I take heart what Logan picked up at Doose’s and that technically Rory and Jess are now cousins. How creepy & icky would that be for them to be a couple again. Oh just ewe to the nth degree.

I’d love more Gilmore Girls but with writers who still get & respect the essence of the show.

• November 28, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Jess and Rory have no blood tying them together though so really when you think about it it’s not that icky…I mean it happens in feel life that family gets married and someone married into that family too. Also Amy wrote all of Gilmore girls but season 7 so she respected it, people may not all love the ending and want more but she has a had the biggest part in the show. And I’m not saying I loved everything either I’m just saying she did respect and love the show at least to me she did since she wrote so much of it and it was her creation.

• November 28, 2016 at 8:44 pm

I want more. I agree musical was a waste of precious time. I was excited to see LDB ,but thought that whole scene was crazy,not gilmore girls style. I love Gilmore ,and will watch anything that comes out,that said it never felt right,and didn’t flow. I hated the Emily stuff and found it unbelievable. She needed a change,but it was so against character,and seemed absurd. I wanted to love the revival so much,that I’m upset with myself for being so disappointed.

• November 28, 2016 at 11:10 pm

This is what AS-P had to say here:
    “The series was something meant to entertain week to week to week,” Amy Sherman-Palladino says. “This is its own thing. That’s why we keep saying it’s not necessarily a revisiting of the show.”

I had never read where she ever said that until that interview.

Throughout different interviews AS-P has been all over the place in the content of her comments. She’d like more , then no this is the end of it as far as her involvement goes. She wasn’t going to ignore Season 7. Then she completely ignored Season 7.

AS-P left the last season of the show of her own accord. No one forced her out. The ONLY thing AS-P cared about was getting her last four words in. EVERY interview she did through out the years she always stated she wanted her “last four words”. What she wrote for A Year in the Life was geared towards forcing circumstances for that. She has stated in several interviews she was hurt she wasn’t asked back to write the last show. In an interview with Lauren Graham she stated when they filmed the last show they didn’t even know if it was going to be the last show. Graham said they filmed it the final show of Season 7 so it would be a good ending IF it where the last show but also in a manner where they could pick right up where it ended if they were renewed. That they didn’t even know it was the end of the show until after the filming of the last show of Season 7.

AS-P came up with a great concept & great characters. For years she wrote well for the show. But you could see in the last two seasons her struggling to create good story lines. You could tell she was losing her zeal for the show. I can imagine it would be difficult to keep up that pace as the main writer for that many years. I loved Season 7. It was fresh air for the show. In writing A Year in the Life AS-P showed she hadn’t regained her zeal for writing for the show and had lost her connection to the essence of the show & the characters.

Lorelai didn’t keep Chris away. He stayed away by his own choice. She just wouldn’t commit to him until she felt he’d gotten his life together. Never did she keep him away from Rory. Just the opposite she encouraged him to be a part of Rory’s life. Staying away & being an undependable part of Rory’s life was Chris’s choice alone. Logan desperately wanted a father who cared. He also knew what an impact an absent undependable father had on Rory. Logan isn’t irresponsible like Chris or cold like his own father. He’s a caring person who doesn’t suffer BS well & holds a zeal for life but he’s not irresponsible. He finished college. In Season 7 he walked away from his dad & family business & struck out on his own. Even when working for his dad & the family business he worked his butt off. Unlike Chris he has aspirations but he doesn’t want to be under his father’s thumb or in the family business. He wants to create his own success. He just hasn’t found what fits yet. Would creating a notable news outlet with Rory from the Stars Hollow paper be it? I can see that.

The only time Rory ever turned to Jess is when she learned he’d gotten his life together & she was feeling unsure about Logan. After that visit with Jess it was clear Rory knew beyond a shadow of doubt Jess wasn’t the one for her. It was Logan who Rory always turned to. It was Logan who was always there for Rory even at times when he sensed she needed him but didn’t turn to him.

Luke and Lorelai’s wedding: After how hurt her mother was and the town was when she eloped with Chris, especially with the whole town excited and a part of she & Luke’s wedding I just can’t see Lorelai doing that again. IMO it just doesn’t fit. I could see if fitting if the series is continued and Lorelai realizes later oh oops, she would leave hurt feelings if the town’s people & her mother knew that so better go through with the wedding without telling them she & Luke had gotten married the night before. Then as a story line her mother & the town finds out & Lorelai has to struggle to make it right with every one. But as a ‘stand alone’ part of the story, it just doesn’t fit.

• November 28, 2016 at 11:21 pm

Also what didn’t fit was Rory writing a book about she and her mother. Rory not only wouldn’t put Lorelai’s life out there like that she wouldn’t put her own life out there like that. This thread in the story is just more proof AS-P has lost her connection with the essence of the characters. It was lame & forced to try to give credence to some failed concept of “coming full circle”.

• November 29, 2016 at 4:55 am

Am I the only one who wasn’t surprised at the final four words??

As soon as Rory had that talk with Christopher about whether or not he wished Lorelai has included him in raising Rory more, I knew what the final four words were going to be. While I’m sure we were supposed to think she was just asking him all of that for the purpose of the book, it was so obvious from how she was acting that she was asking personal advice from him. After all, the book was going to be about her early life from her and her mother’s perspective, not Christopher’s,

Until the very end I kept wishing the final four words would be something else, not because I didn’t want Rory to be pregnant (I actually don’t mind that and think it’s an interesting path to take her down), but because I really didn’t want her to have Logan’s baby. That is mostly because I was never a huge Logan fan and although I hated him less in the revival, I still just can’t get around to warming up to him.

Either way, those words were anything but a surprise to me and I wish it had been a surprise, because then I could’ve enjoyed the final moment instead of keeping my eyes peeled as they sat on the steps of the gazebo to see whether or not Rory seemed to have had any champagne like Lorelai did. For a brief moment I had hope as there seemed to be a bottle of champagne beside her on the steps, but I guess it was someone else’s bottle…

• December 3, 2016 at 7:28 pm

I have seen over and over that people are assuming the baby is Logan’s, but also remember that Rory slept with a guy dressed as a Wookie at ComicCon.

• November 29, 2016 at 8:28 am

I have so many thoughts about the idea of more episodes, but it all boils down to this: I don’t want there to be more episodes; but if more episodes are made, I will absolutely be excited and watch every single one.

I think this was a good ending for Rory’s storyline, especially. This was a good way to gently show that Logan isn’t Rory’s endgame. He’s her Christopher. They have a huge connection, but he can’t be The One. Jess’ look of longing was perfect to show that he’s Rory’s Luke—he’ll be a good friend to her until it’s the right time. Full circle.

But the ending really works on two levels—it can satisfy fans on both teams. The revival was enough to prove to Jess fans that Logan isn’t the one for her, and the pregnancy was enough to prove to Logan fans that maybe Logan is still in the running (although why anyone would be team Logan after this bewilders me). So I feel that it was an incredibly smart way for ASP to wrap everything up.

However, it’d be dishonest of me to also point out that I don’t want more episodes because I think that Milo V. won’t be very available with his schedule. It’d be really difficult to watch another 4 movie-length episodes that only feature 5 minutes of Jess.

One more note: I’m glad we had to wait 9 years for this revival—I would have hated Rory getting pregnant right out of college!

• November 30, 2016 at 9:48 am

The first whole paragraph is me because I go back a forth between wanting more and not haha.

Just everything else too that you’ve written about Jess and Logan I agree with and have written myself multiple times but it seems you write it even better then I do haha. (I still don’t get why people are pro Logan too he rubbed me the wrong way this whole revival sure Rory knew she was cheating too and I disliked she did that but still the things Logan did and said I was like *side eye* no.) I really do think this ending gives everyone what they want since it ends with it almost being a you decide what happens next moment haha.

I agree I wanted more Jess and more Milo darn it for him having a new show the only thing I could think is ASP at this point in time has no plans to continue I think if we got more it wouldn’t be for a year or even longer so that would mean who knows what the other actors and actresses schedules would be they may clear up :) Plus Milo has said in an interview if they made more he’d come back. I still believe his one quote in his interview saying “It’s never over.” hints at the ending look he gives Rory just there’s nothing else he could hint to :)

Finally agree we had to wait for this Rory being pregnant right out of college wouldn’t have fit right with me either.

Anyways had to just comment and say I agree with you so much and am happy to see there’s still Jess people out there with the same thoughts as me :)

• November 29, 2016 at 8:43 am

Would appear that lauren would have underheated in an itw to tv this day may be other episodes to come

• December 1, 2016 at 1:51 pm

I think i see closure… Undeniably
    But I read something that got me stone cold…
    She also slept with the wokie!!!!!!!!!!!
    OMG

• December 3, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Ok, boiled down the the realities time frames & relationships and trying to get more episodes.
    Face it AS-P didn’t even have enough story to fill the four 90 min. episodes or she’s holding back. Netflix gave her a great budget. Yes she wasted all that time on the stupid musical. Time which could’ve been spent with story.
    The wookiee nor Paul fit the timing. Jess was thrown in to give him face time on the show as they were trying to get all the old characters in at least a little. Jess doesn’t even fit the time frame either in addition it was pretty evident he & Rory didn’t even keep in touch. Technically they are now cousins & that would be just too creepy. If the baby was Jess’s then Luke would not only be Rory’s step father he’d be Rory’s the baby’s great uncle AND step grandfather. Not even close to an interesting story line as the creepiness outweighs the potential story line. Oh gawd Lorelai threw Jess a kiss. That means nothing, he’s family now in addition to being grown up.

If you listen to interview with AS-P you’ll pick up things. First she said she didn’t even think far enough ahead to decide who the father was as this was a story about Gilmore girls, not their boyfriends. Matt C. said in a recent interview that AS-P told him who the father was but he wasn’t going to say as that was AS-P decision if she wanted to reveal that.

Luke & Lorelai are married. They’ve been together long enough there isn’t going to be much drama there.

If the baby would be Jess’s there’s not going to be much there for story lines either. The best story line is going to come from the father being Logan. Ohhh think how Mitchell would react to that. Emily & Mitchell sharing the blood of a grandchild. My my.

The only thing I hope if the show does resume & Logan is the father that the story isn’t drug out to essentially boredom until that aspect is settled. If I’d had to watch one more season with Luke & Lorelai going around & around I’d have stopped watching the show. That “boy & girl love each other but can’t seem to get together” story line is ok for a while but it’s always waaaay over done. And it’s been over done regarding Rory & Logan. So if it does come back it’s time to pull it together & find a new angle & stop trying to write a story lines based on sterotypical crap & much much much over used storylines in so many movies & TV shows.

• December 4, 2016 at 7:20 am

No question that the musical was a time-filler. I’m sure there was a feeling of “Yay! We got the deal. Oh ****, now we have to write it.”

ASP was undoubtedly overwhelmed and DP didn’t have the creativity to come up with enough good material. Disappointing but not completely surprising.

• December 6, 2016 at 2:44 am

Nice to see some one else agrees ASP & DP aren’t the wizards all other outlets are making them out to be. There were some good scenes but a lot left lacking.

I guess I’m one of the few people who actually like Season 7 because the other writers (who were already writers on the show) breathed new air into the show.

I see BuzzFeed had a slew of “polls” regarding the show. Favorite season, least favor season, Jess or Logan, favorite story line, least favorite. It all reads like polls A & D would want looking for what the public would like most and new story lines.

If there is more I hope they bring in some of the old writers back. A&D seem stuck on one theme (“full circle”) and the creativity and show suffers for that. Jess as Rory’s Luke is such a booooring completely uncreative concept.

• December 6, 2016 at 3:00 am

Just read article where ASP said the show could come back & Rory could get an abortion because, well,you know women have that choice. BARF! I’m not the least interested in political statements made via GG’s. I loved the show because it was entertaining.

ASP wants a new story line – how about it’s learned Mitchum worked behind the scenes to keep Rory’s career at a stand still, Rory & Logan find out & create their own mini dynasty via Star’s Hollow Gazette. Try that instead of struggling to find multiple ways to rewrite the same story line over & over & over & over.

• December 6, 2016 at 8:34 am

Yeah an abortion’s not going to happen. And frankly I don’t buy any explanation that she didn’t mean to get pregnant. Birth control pills are ubiquitous.

Even if MH tried to keep Rory down, it doesn’t change the fact that in a calendar year Rory didn’t pursue a single salaried position. She just mooched off of everyone else. I suppose that is realistic, or at least that it is realistic that someone living such a pampered existence would do this and it would all fall apart. But it isn’t entertaining. Why make this character so detestable? Could she not learn anything from all those books she read and all of the other stuff she exposed herself to?

At the end you’re right. Entertain us. The Rory storyline didn’t entertain us.

• December 6, 2016 at 10:16 am

Accidental pregnancies do happen. My point being what would be the point to end it like that then to reopen with Rory just turning around to get an abortion? What would that add to anything other than trying to make a political statement. One of the reason’s I liked the show was not having to deal with that aspect – political statements shoved into the show. It’s entertainment.

I agree with your view about why make the character so detestable. Adds nothing to the story line. Quite the opposite.

As far as my idea about MH at this point nearly anything to try to recoup from the story line ‘Rory worked hard all her life but completely bombed at career’ creating a story line which could be on going while being able to be build upon & expanded which also has the ability to thread out into more story lines. Instead of, as I said before, trying to find yet another way to replay the same old story line. Journalism today is different than it was 10 years ago. Sheesh that would be a great thread for story lines.

The parts of the revival I truly enjoyed could’ve all been done in one 90 min. episode. Amy & Dan were given a great budget but this is all they could fill it with? Again either they truly have lost their connection with the characters they created or they played the public holding back hoping they’d be given an on going series. Either way I agree. The current Rory bombed at her career story line wasn’t entertaining. Nor would a “Jess is Rory’s Luke” story line be entertaining. Going that road would be just trying to find a way to replay the same old story line. With Logan the conflict of the families, especially if MH had been dogging Rory all these years, the sliding between two different aspects of life trying to balance the two, would have some real potential.

• December 12, 2016 at 10:20 am

I’m a late bloomer to the Gilmore Girls. It was on while I was a teenager but its timeslot was during my basketball practices so I never really got into it. I’ve binge watched every season to catch up except for season 7 because i’ve heard about what happened and I know that season wasn’t the creator’s vision so I’ve basically disregarded those episodes.

My thoughts on the revival is that the episodes were just too long. I think an hour and a half really effed things up for the flow of the show. But besides that I loved the revival and I was satisfied because I knew this is what ASP wanted…this was her original vision and I’m really glad I got to see it.

Everyone’s talking about Rory and how disappointed they are about her character development but Rory has been struggling ever since she’s gotten into Yale. In my opinion that’s not only realistic because kids today in their 30s really do have issues…it’s also great for character development because it sets up great conflicts for Rory to overcome. This is what the evolution of a character is about and Rory’s evolution is still happening. It’s not over for her yet.

Now for Emily …her story is over. She’s gone from point A to point B. She’s settled. She’s done. I loved her change…her journey of trying to accept her husband’s death. I loved watching her and Lorelai finally mending fences.

As Lorelei and Luke because to me they’re part of each other’s evolution…I thought it was great. My only complaint is that her decision to do the Wild thing from the book kinda came out of left field. Frankly I don’t think Lorelei was having THAT hard of a time. I think she and Luke needed to reconnect..sure…but to actually think that yes Lorelei needs a break because she’s a mess to me was out there in believability.

I did love how mature Jess had become. I’ve never liked Logan but i can totally draw the Christopher parallels for him. I don’t think Rory should’ve ended with any boy because that’s just not the point. The only romance that needed an ending was Luke and Lorelei because they’ve always been the main romance of the show.

My complaints are:
    Needed more Luke and Lorelei
    The musical numbers were good but too long which is I think a symptom of the too long run time per episode

Otherwise in my opinion the revival was absolutely beautiful with some standout performances from Scott, Laurence, and Kelly bishop.

• December 12, 2016 at 10:23 am

Sorry I meant Lauren.

• December 12, 2016 at 10:56 am

Oh and as for more episodes…If ASP had started the first episode with Rory returning to Stars Hollow because she’s pregnant and we saw the fallout of that and the family’s adjustment to that I’d say no more episodes.

But the end was clearly a cliffhanger meant to leave us wondering what the rest of that conversation will be like with Lorelei and how the wedding between Luke and Lorelei will go knowing that Rory has a huge thing going on that will change everything for her and the people who surround her

• December 13, 2016 at 3:00 am

Loved every minute. They included all aspects and quirks that we know and loved of Gilmore girls. And to combine it all in four episodes and for it to perceive a whole year they did a marvellous of something that would of been incredibly difficult. I hope that open Gilmore girls back up. They have the main actors except Melissa. The new life of Emily Gilmore, the direction the dragon fly is about to take with expansion, and with Rory’s book and her dilemma of her unplanned pregnancy at the end as a closing are all intriguing journeys that I would love to walk with them all. I have my fingers crossed that everyone involved in the show wants Gilmore girls and so does net flicks.

• December 14, 2016 at 8:22 am

I’m clearly missing something and I’m terrible at math. What are the final 4 words?

• May 21, 2017 at 10:54 am

I am way late saying this but I had most of the old episodes DVR’d and really love them. Seeing Dean so young and Alexis as well was adorable. My daughter and I watched these two together and enjoyed the continuation.
    People change. People grow up. That’s part of life. Why does Rory have to be pg by a past relationship and why does she have to find out who, get married or break up one of the guy’s relationships? This is 2017. And, there’s a certain complexity to being a ‘Gilmore Girl’ and even Grandmother may accept the baby as is.
    But, as a fan, we should have fun, laugh and wonder. It’s the Gilmore way!