A Year In The Life – What a Journey…

So I finished Autumn about an hour ago and have been processing ever since.  I’m almost ready to end my self-imposed media blackout but first I’d like to share my meagre pundit’s thoughts, as a long-time Gilmore Geek and a shameless Palladino fan.  First of all, let’s join Lorelai for a well-deserved drink.

gazebo2

Starting with the finish: I liked it.  I didn’t love it because I like a neat resolution as much as anyone, however we know that this is what Amy Sherman-Palladino has always done.  Whenever the water has even threatened to look calm she muddies it with an atom bomb.  Remember Rory and Lorelai’s faces as bridesmaids at Sookie’s wedding, when mere moments before that Christopher was joining the family and Dean was a sure thing?  Or when Luke and Lorelai were finally getting it together but Emily tells Christopher he should be the one with Lorelai?

Lorelai (to Emily): You and me?  We’re done.

We know this.  I also like to think it’s two fingers to the studios for cancelling shows without warning (like Gilmore Girls and Bunheads) and thereby not giving the writers a chance to end it on their terms.  Like it or lump it, this ending is purely on Amy Sherman-Palladino’s terms.

I’m also of the opinion that if you’ve reached a happy ending, then you just haven’t reached the end yet.  I believe those last four words were the intended last four words and that we shouldn’t expect any more even though Netflix has surely recouped.  This is how the Palladinos roll and as the numerous musical and dance numbers remind us, this is the business of show and you’ve gotta leave the audience wanting more.  The final words are also a reflection on how this all began and maybe nudge us into re-watching the entire show and enjoying the journey all over again, as if Emily and Lorelai’s earlier conversation wasn’t enough to take you back to the start.

Emily: I’ll call the lawyer.
Lorelai: Really? Thank you.
Emily: …on one condition.
Lorelai [drops head]: So close.

Assuming this was the ending that was intended, it fits the show just like Rory’s eventual partner will fit her, because of course she’ll find somebody.  In my heart it will always be Jess even if Logan or the Wookie is involved but even if that’s too complicated to imagine, that’s only because people tend toward ‘normal’, which should never be something to strive for.  We should leave it alone now so it doesn’t become one of those shows that gets a terrible second season when they never intended it to go past season one.  Quality over quantity.

Between the barn-busting Winter episode and the upbeat Autumn finale, Spring and Summer were the difficult middle children.  Drama outweighed comedy as Emily and Lorelai reached Cold War levels of catastrophe, Rory’s entire life was melting down Fukushima-style and Lorelai hit a proper mid-life crisis.  But you can’t have the feel-good later if you don’t endure the pain now (and then more pain after the feel-good etc.)

Bunheads cameos throughout were heartening as well as Parenthood buddies and I was relieved to see Dean and Sookie fill what would have been noteable absences.   In the last episode I started checking my watch to see how much time there was left – thankfully the finale ran an extra ten minutes.  Cameo-wise, Liz and TJ’s absence was amply filled by a running joke with a fitting pay-off and I woke the neighbours up cheering when this guy made an appearance:

mrkim2

My goodness, there’s just so much material.  Just off the top of my head, I want to talk about Emily’s ending, her calling literal bullshit on the D.A.R. then picking up sticks and seeking a different happiness without Richard.  Was her final scene her natural state of happiness and if so, was she just compromising all that time for Richard?  I have my fingers crossed that you guys and the critics liked it as much as I did and I want to talk about how the show hasn’t had to evolve to fit a modern audience and that audiences don’t like or dislike trending genres, they just like good shows.  I must talk about that 15-minute musical interlude, Lorelai’s humour being used as a defence mechanism, ‘Never or Now’, the Secret Bar, ‘Ele-alert’, Kirk’s Second Movie, Not-Tristan, Wild (the movie), Wild (the book), Lorelai’s New York queue-jumping, Paris’ five-floor apartment stairs, sparing re-use of the original show’s music, Matt Czuchry’s award-winning goodbye, Christopher’s penance, ballsy two-minute takes, What-Drella, the town square sets and Jess making puppy eyes through the window.  For starters.

Thank you Netflix for not being tight on the budget – at least it looked that way – it looked amazing.  Thank you Amy and Dan for creating the show, understanding this was so necessary and seeing it through to the end with a flourish: I will die that little bit happier.  And thank you if you’re reading this: You and I have some interesting chats ahead of us.

Rory: Such a long time getting here.
Lorelai: Sometimes it’s just a journey, you know?

Can’t wait to see what you guys thought of it. I’ll start reading things again this week. I bet everyone’s obsessing about the ending :)

Rich

Rich originally began contributing to GIlmore News as 'Dairyman' in 2013, a reference to the character Dairyman Dick in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (call me Rich). Here in the UK we were late to the Gilmore party and I don't remember what made me watch my first episode - the one where Lorelai picks Rory up from the police station after she and Logan steal a yacht - but I remember watching it again immediately. And then again. Thankfully, the next show was on the next day and I watched that one three times too. And then the boat one again. I couldn't believe the dialogue was so quick and so funny and I pretended to myself that I was only watching it so I could figure out who I was more keen on - the mom or the daughter. I swore that Aaron Sorkin must have been involved but I couldn't find his name attached anywhere, even on the internet. So I watched and loved and laughed and cried and the day after the series finale, they ran the entire show from the beginning again and Rory turned into a baby so then I was all about Lorelai. Lauren Graham is astonishing ("Mother: Breathtaking") and the show was - and is - lightning in a bottle. It's a treasure for those who watch and get swept up in it, like I did and like the readers of Gilmore News. It's heartbreak and chicken soup, family dysfunction and blind optimism, lighthearted romanticism and balls-out brilliant. Thanks to Arieanna and gilmorenews.com for letting me squat and allowing my inner Gilmore Geek out for air. I worry how it would otherwise manifest.

46 thoughts on “A Year In The Life – What a Journey…

• November 27, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Overall the revival was great. The ending was perfect…It’s creatively genius.

Disappointed that the show wasted time on things like the terrible musical, and too much Wild. They should have done an actual storyline for Lane (such as trying to find a way to pursue her musical passion while raising kids, or the current dynamics between her and Mrs. Kim). And why weren’t there more la la las?!?! But so many great scenes like L&DB and Kirk.

I would love to see more, so long as they take Rory’s storyline in a different direction than Lorelai’s. After all Rory is 32, not 16 and has a completely different relationship with her parents. Would love to see a baby boy named Richard(first or middle name). It would be silly and unrealistic to watch Rory mirror Lorelai’s choices…while they are similar, they are also very different (Lorelai ran from her parent’s lifestyle, while Rory has run towards it). I would like to see Rory grow up and ultimately choose a man(Logan) and stick with him. Let’s face it, Rory is different than Lorelai and enjoys the world Logan comes from.
    Logan in S7: “Wake up Rory. Whether you like it or not, you’re one of us. You went to prep school. You go to Yale. Your grandparents are building a whole damn astronomy building in your name.”

• November 27, 2016 at 6:56 pm

My favorite scenes in the show were Luke and Lorelei’s wedding, Emily quitting DAR and Life and Death Brigade sequence. I liked that they made wedding at the end. It was shot well and it was fun that they eloped the night before the wedding. I’m happy that they showed Emily saying to the DAR that what they do is bullshit and she doesn’t care about it anymore. She became more casual, she took in the whole family of her maid and she found piece. Life and Death Brigade scenes were shot well. It was interesting sequence, beautifully lit and fun ideas. I’m glad that Rory and Logan had closure. You can see that they still care about each other but they move on. Even though now that she will have Logan’s baby, who knows how the story will go. That’s why Rory probably went to talk to Christopher. She wanted to find out how did he feel about not being involved in Rory’s life. So maybe she will make the same choice as her mother and will try not to involve Logan as much, or maybe she will let him in her life. And maybe Logan will choose a different path from his family. It didn’t seem like was marrying this woman because he loved her but simply because that was a “dynastic plan”. We also saw that Rory would always come for comfort to Logan and he would always listen and try to help. He never pushed her to do anything she didn’t want but he always supported her decisions. Maybe because his family always pushed on him the life that he didn’t want and never allowed him to be what he wanted to be. As for Jess he did push Rory to do better, which helped her a few times. But we didn’t see the romantic connection between them anymore. It did seemed that Jess had feelings for her when he looked through the window at her but I didn’t see any feelings from Rory’s side. It would be great to see more episodes of how the story will develop but if not, it’s still a nice ending. Rory was lost but know she will write her book and will have a child who will be a purpose of her life, just as Rory was for Lorelei. It was a full circle.

• November 29, 2016 at 6:46 am

Yes, yes yes, yes, yes! All of this. I agree that while things were left uncertain, and it would be nice to see more, it was also good the way they left it. I think Logan would do whatever Rory wanted, though I also think they could ge fouled up in that because I see Rory trying to guess what Logan wants and then making a decision without talking it through with him. I also didn’t get a lot of sparks from Rory on Jess. I actually saw more with Dean, but kind of a bittersweet what could have been rather than she actually wanted it for herself now.

• November 27, 2016 at 7:55 pm

I think with Emily’s ending we do see her natural state but on no way do I think she was compromising herself with Richard. I think she was a product of her generation she followed the system, she was the wife because she was supposed to be and with a lesser man the system would have crumbled years ago. With Richard she felt loved and supported and that world made sense. She never looked for anything else because she didn’t need anything else. With him gone nothing made sense and there is no framework of the system to fall back on. Her move to Nantucket felt fitting it was where she and Richard vacationed each year, I.e. they vacationed from their life together (thoughit was Martha’s Vineyard in the original show but hey Nantucket sounds cooler and brings the history element which I’ll get to in a mo) we never saw that vacation but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was a place they let their hair down away from the artifice and obligations they had in Hartford. It’s clearly somewhere they enjoyed because they kept going back each year and if Emily had hated it I highly doubt they would have kept going back. It’s somewhere they were happy together. It also gives widowed Emily the opportunity to explore her love of history, to find her new purpose, because despite her protest that she was never going to be a historian she was always going to be a wife, she finished college before she married and she clearly loved history shown through many of her foundations and groups having a historical bias. Also it does give us that wonderful scene of her describing whaling and terrifying children in the process which was just delicious. I think her journey through the series made sense and I love that she finally just listened to Lorelai when she called with her Richard story, something that Lorelai never thought would happen. Her response to that was simple and perfect just a thank you because it was what she needed to hear that Lorelai loved Richard just as much as she did.
    So long winded way of saying, yes, her natural state but only because Richard wasn’t there. And I totally think she kept the leaf.

• November 28, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Kate, that’s spot on about Emily, nicely done. I also initially mistook Nantucket for the place they were looking to purchase in Martha’s Vineyard. What was your take on Paris working admin in the surrogacy clinic? Wasn’t she meant for more? I’ve posted a theory in my ‘Winter’ blog comments.

• November 28, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Paris wasn’t just working admin. She told Luke and Lorelai that she didn’t do the consultations anymore, but she was doing it for them. She also talked about how many people she had helped to get pregnant. I assumed she was a fertility specialist. I was surprised to not see “Dr.” in front of her name on the door, but I still just assumed she was one.

• November 28, 2016 at 11:12 pm

Tbh I was a little confused by the context of Paris, don’t get me wrong every scene that Lisa Weil was in was dynamite even her just watching the band play was fantastic, but it felt a little off. Francie states she is an MD and has a law degree plus other things. Both of these take time, plus she has two children, plus she has apparently built one of the most successful fertility clinics in America. I know Paris was a dynamo but it seems a stretch for 10 years. I wonder if the empty brief case is supposed to be more meaningful then we realise but it got lost in all the brilliance of her freak out and the epic lunge. I mean as awesome as the freak out was why on earth would this supposedly highly successful woman lose herself over a crush she had 14 years ago. It reeked of something more. I wonder if it hints back at something Paris said in the main series about needing Rory about how she is the one she measures herself against about how Rory drives her. Rory hasn’t been there because she’s been floundering in her own life, maybe Paris has been floundering too. There was no MD after Paris name on the door, she seems like the person who would want that. I wonder if she didn’t finish. She wants people to see her as important yet she never managed to close the deal because something else came along. Which would make sense with the whole divorce from Doyle, I mean divorcing because he was writing screenplays or wearing jeans, it seems odd. Divorcing because she’s either jealous of his success or because she’s disappointed at her own lack of perceived success would make more sense and would link with her desperation for Rory to lie for her in the divorce petition. Now it’s not that I think Paris isn’t successful, she clearly is and has made money, I’d her pointed comments to Charlston about what she donated it’s more that I think Paris doesn’t think she is successful. Possibly as you say she’s doing admin, essentially she’s a sales rep, which to Miss I’m going to be a surgeon or a judge isn’t enough.
        I have a feeling ASP was trying to make more of a statement about people that age then we realise, Paris, Rory and Lane all seem stuck, they were all intelligent ambitious girls in the original run. Somehow they all appear to have fallen by the wayside, life has spat them out. That’s what the thirty something gang was about, being ASP it’s all presented as a gag but look deeper and there is something far more profound. I think it’s her way of saying we failed this generation, these people by rights should be on their way to running the world instead they aren’t they are stuck and flailing. It’s what ASP is so good at, saying things without saying things and despite saying a whole goddam lot. Of course it takes a few watches to get it because your so caught up in the glitter and the speed, distracting too long musicals and which team you’re on, but give moments time to breathe and the glitter comes off and you have to think. Ive always found GG deeper then my friends who never understood why I liked Emily so much, and didn’t understand my instruction of don’t listen to her watch her because often because Kelly is so damn amazing it’s not what she says it’s the little looks and how she holds herself that shows what Emily is really thinking. To me That is what Gilmore Girls is. I never liked the boyfriend storylines as much as everyone else for me the show was always about the relationships between the women of the show and how they supported each other ( or didn’t), plus the few men who got them and let them be them, Richard, Luke. I’m sorry I’ve got a bit off topic in answering a question about Paris but it all links I think, in the 10 years they’ve all been apart not in each other’s pocket and they have all got stuck. I’m sure there is something more there I just haven’t figured it out yet. That’s another at home through when I have time. Sorry for the ramble.

• December 1, 2016 at 10:22 am

Kate, that was outstanding!! Either you’re a creative writer, or you should be…well done. I always got the same feeling from the show, that it revolved around the female support systems or the lives of women and their relationships with the women in their lives. That was the underlying theme for me, the empowerment of women mixed into the not-so-pretty real-life type issues they’re dealt and then mixed with humor, because we all have to laugh to get through those times in life. ASP has that way about her writing, it’s genius. I also love how you pegged Paris, she’s always, right from the beginning of the original series, been insecure about herself (probably from her lack of having parents, or a mother like Rory’s, around to support her) and had looked to Rory for that support. I too think that moving forward with the next chapter, it would be great to see, as you said, those women all coming together again in support of one another, the way they once were. But it would be so different and maybe even more cool now, to see them deal with the issues facing them as adults, and how it links back to them as their younger selves and those first moments in their friendships. I’m just piggy-backing on your post, obviously, but it is cool to read that someone else sees the little subtleties that make this show so great! Thanks again for writing this, made my day.

• November 29, 2016 at 7:39 am

More?????? I am so disappointed in this revival! Haven’t gotten thru the whole thing yet, no reason to rush, not even sure if I will finish the series. It is the same old scripts just recycled. VERY disappointing!

• November 27, 2016 at 10:34 pm

Pretty much just a comment to Ricj because you wrote and said pretty much so many of the thoughts I were thinking. Just moments your thoughts on the ending and how ASP ended it how she wanted it. Even though I think we all wanted more closure. I go back between wanting more yet not wanting more because like you said having another season could just ruin things. I will say with this ending it leaves it open for fans to believe and decide on the ending they want really. Most everyone wanted Luke and Lorelai with Rory it’s left open for everyone to decide what they want her happy ending to be. And I have to say this sentence “In my heart it will always be Jess even if Logan or the Wookie is involved but even if that’s too complicated to imagine, that’s only because people tend toward ‘normal’, which should never be something to strive for.” I couldn’t agree with anymore so thank you Rich for writing that. :)

I couldn’t agree more also with Winter and Fall being the two best while Spring and Summer were at times the difficult middle. Also agree with what you said about having pain to get to the good and each Gilmore Girl wen through their fair share of pain to get to the good. I loved all the cameos and references that were made, lanes dad was hilarious. Emily with the DAR was the best and I never thought of it that maybe she compromised a bit for Richard until I read what you wrote. But I loved how truly happy and content she seemed at the end of the revival. :) These moments you talk about: Lorelai’s humour as a defence mechanism, the Secret Bar, Kirk’s Second Movie, Wild (the movie) vs Wild (the book), Lorelai’s New York queue jumping, Paris’ apartment with five flights stairs, Christopher, the town square sets and Jess making puppy eyes through the window, Just many moments I enjoyed and love to talk about with others myself haha. Also the ending thank you to your post *claps* Just this whole post I loved and couldn’t agree with more.

• November 28, 2016 at 5:33 pm

You’re very welcome :)

• November 27, 2016 at 11:22 pm

Hi Rich-

Welcome back and thanks for the synopsis. As the last of the 20th century dinasours who does not stream, suspect it will be a while before I get a full viewing. But then you always want to leave yourself wit a little something to look forward to. Cheers till later—

• November 28, 2016 at 12:28 am

Actually you’re not the only one. I haven’t seen it yet, but I’m enjoying all the write-ups. I plan to watch the earlier seasons over Xmas with my own daughter (now 15) and then see the revival at some point next year.

• November 28, 2016 at 2:09 am

The sequence with the Live & Death Brigade was awesome and I felt that Rorys Goodbye to the boys kind of felt like a goodbye to the “carefree” student (rootless) years and a new beginning.
    I also liked the musical, it was so bad and so much fun and those songs keep playing in my head. Sutton and Christopher did an amazing job.
    From winter to fall I loved the whole year – and I´ sorry Rich, I still want more :)

• November 28, 2016 at 8:51 am

Only three things bothered me:

1) The musical: If I had a nickel for every post I read after the revival using one variation or other of the phrase “I fast-forwarded through the whole damned thing” I could retire today… and I’m just 33. So many characters only had a look-in and yet they wasted all that time on a musical that no one much seemed to have loved. I, for one, would have swapped it for more time with Hep Alien… or Andrew… Sookie (yes, I know that was all they had time for with her, musical or no musical)… or, basically ANYONE else. With the exception of the song no one liked but had Lorelai transfixed, which hit every single nerve in my body and reduced me to a sobbing mess on the couch, that musical was just a waste of time.

2) The slips out of reality: I know these were movies, and the cinematography for movies are a little different, and the feel is a little different… but I really liked how GG was always realistic. Even when unrealistic things, like snow that shows up on cue, happened, it always felt real. The movies had too many scenes that were bordering on fantasy. What was up with those dancing girls during the wedding scenes? Where did they come from? Who called them? I’d have said they were Miss Patty’s but they were wearing a different outfit to her ballerinas. And the whole LoDB scene with the sign that changed into something THAT JUST WASN’T THERE? It didn’t feel right. It snapped me out of what I was seeing.

3) Meaner, less moral, less kind… and no one seemed to mind: Rory treats Paul like dirt and all Lorelai seems to say is “You should cut that boy loose”. If my daughter treated someone like that, I would tell her she’s being terrible. I would be outraged. Hell, I would be seriously concerned about my own skills as a parent if I didn’t manage to teach her that treating someone like that is wrong. And even putting Lorelai aside… what about Rory? She’s ok with cheating on this guy AND she’s ok with Logan cheating on his fiance with her. I could sort of understand if Odette knew and didn’t care. I mean, it is a sort of “dynastic” marriage. Some people are ok with their spouses having dalliances in those sorts of marriages. But she didn’t know. So this was WRONG. And yet, Rory was ok with it. And when Lorelai found out, there was no “What the hell are you doing? He’s ENGAGED!” talk, like she had back when it was Dean she was doing it with. I’d hate to think that all Lorelai got from the Dean thing was that she learned not to chide her daughter for doing something like that. And even Logan himself… Look, I was never TeamLogan, but I felt genuinely queasy when I saw what they turned him into. Logan in the original show never struck me as the “go behind your fiance’s back” type sleazoid. When they got to the whole thing where Odette moved in and he and Rory could only meet in a hotel and Rory said it seemed wrong to her and he said something like “it doesn’t have to be”, I just felt so angry for him. Not AT him… FOR him. Logan was not a great guy, but he deserved to be better written than that. He was not THIS guy. He was many things I didn’t approve of, but at least he was honest and respectful. This just felt wrong! And what about those two kids Lorelai and Rory used as personal servants in Summer? Yeah, it was cute and a little funny, but in the original show they’d have explained it. They’d have said they were hired or something. Here? Nothing. And that bit where the kids see something they’d rather be doing and they look sad… how is that in GG??? In the original show, Lorelai or Rory would have seen it and would have cut them loose! In the show, they were kind. They were moral. They were decent people. What the hell, people???

Other than that… yeah, I liked it. I mean, it took Alexis the whole length of Winter to find Rory’s voice and body language again, but she got there and got there good. And as a lifelong TeamJess-er, that look through the window will feed my fantasies for years to come. I think I’ve listened to Hep Alien’s rendition of “I’m the man” about 50 times already. And Taylor’s wi-fi speech and Luke’s “Why leaving me would be a big mistake” speech are both moments which I will rewatch again and again till I can recite them in my sleep. And the wedding… oh, the wedding… <3

All in all, it wasn't perfect, but it was GOOD, and I don't want more.

The only thing I could wish for is to know that they're having a (fresh) kid. Surrogate or ivf (Try for that 1%, guys! It should be both of yours!!!) or whatever, I don't care. They need to have a kid.

Oh, and TeamJess, of course… that goes without saying.

But, really, I think I could manage those from my imagination much better than they'd be on TV.

• November 28, 2016 at 10:17 am

You have many of the points that frustrated me at times too,p. The musical I think went too long they could have cut it shorter and used that for other character time. Yes I was so annoyed Rory was so rude to Paul i think they tried to make that a funny plot line but it never was to me. Yeah Logan and Roryd “relationship” frustrated me because I disliked they were both grown adults in their 30s and deciding to cheat…just I wasn’t ok with it. Just when Rory calls him and Odette lives their and so Rory would have to stay at a hotel and he’d meet her, just that made me so mad. I agree never was much Team Logan but I was gonna be ok if she ended up with him but once I saw their “relationship” continue I couldn’t agree with it any longer and I think this revival didn’t do much good for Logan I think he deserved more but at least his goodbye to Rory seemed at least a little better for his character. (I saw even now an interview with Alexis and she said she was surprised with them together and that Rory seemed uncomfortable but put on a brave face and wasn’t totally emotionally into it and was just going through the motions at the time.) Yes at first I laughed with the kids during summer but when the one boy kept following Rory I was like ummmm let him go play now?! The wedding was beautiful. Luke with the wifi made me laugh. Luke’s speech about not wanting to lose Lorelai made me tear up. And finally Yes that look at the end from Jess just showed he still loved and cared for Rory…can I just say where was his closure he didn’t have any…so that’s why I’ll always believe they find each other again. I’m a lifelong Team Jess-er like you. I think they shouldn’t make more 1. Because Amy planned this ending for so long it’s her full circle. 2. I think every fan gets to imagine and creat the ending they want now. Also agree Luke and Lorelai need a kid….I will always believe they had one now haha. But I think ending like this yes everyone wants more but I think leaving it like this is full circle plus leaves everyone to imagine what they want not everyone will be happy with what they may do if they brought it back so leave it with an ending you all can imagine how you want.

All in all Ginny I feel like you get me and we’d make great friends if I knew you haha. :)

• November 28, 2016 at 9:21 am

If Amy feel Logan was not her Love, she shouldn’t have introduced him with such detail and all the chemistry and witty interactions with Rory, a short scene of them having a friendly lunch would have sufficed, rather than chopping the relationship due to Rory’s loss of ‘place’ in the world, and Logan’s family/to be wife. It felt gut-wrenching … They could have showed Rory dating other interesting guys generally and not committing, why all the Drama causing such heartache to viewers (who are Logan friendly)….

• November 28, 2016 at 9:21 am

I am a recent GG fan and I loved the revival. Winter and Fall were by far the best.

I am Team Logan all of the way….one thought though. What if Rory is Loralei and Luke’s surrogate? That subject just disappeared, or did it?

Netflix would be crazy not to continue this revival. Media covered this like it was Star Wars. There is still more to the story that fans would like to hear. I want more of Rory!!

• November 28, 2016 at 10:03 am

Great article, but I was hoping you would have an explanation for the 15-minute musical interlude that would justify it in any way. I hated the fact that precious & LONG minutes were spent on that. Anyone have any thoughts?

• November 28, 2016 at 9:23 pm

I think they made the musical long because they were trying to show how Lorelei was the only one who understood that it was bad performance while everyone else praised it. And when they played the last song which was beautiful, nobody liked it except Lorelei. So the bad musical made us like and appreciate the last song even more. And the other reason for a long musical is probably just trying to waste time. About Logan, I do believe he was engaged because of his family’s obligations. It was a “dynastic plan” as he said. We don’t know what kind of arrangement Logan had with Odette. Maybe they also agreed about open relationship. And let’s not forget that she is french. And for french it’s sort of normal to have a wife and mistress. So maybe she’s ok with it. And obviously Logan wasn’t going to flash Rory to Odette even if they all ok about the arrangements.

• November 28, 2016 at 10:26 am

Hey did anybody notice that the theme song wasn’t played until the very end? What do you think that means? It was definitely a deliberate move. There were times where the song would have easily and naturally played BUT it didn’t.

I’m obsessed with the end and secretly hope for a spin off. I’m raising 3 young girls (5, 3, 2 years old) and would like the chance to have a great show such as Gilmore Girls to watch with them. My 5 year old is already mesmerized by the show. (I’ve been a repeat watcher for 5 years.)

I agree with some of you… there was a lot of wasted time, in my opinion. (That dreadful musical, etc.) This revival was more serious for me and I would have liked for the “revival year” to reflect that. The BEST story to me was Emily’s. Remember how she freaked out when Richard had the first stroke? When you’ve been with someone that long, you question if you can survive without them. Emily gave me hope that a woman can devote her skills to her family, domestically, and still be smart and resourceful enough to take care of herself when everyone is gone. BRAVO! You will be okay!

• November 28, 2016 at 10:26 am

I’m still Team Logan 100%. He is NOT Christopher. When Rory asked if he was really going to marry Odette, you could tell he wanted her to tell him not to.

I hope they bring it back. There are more stories to tell.

• November 28, 2016 at 3:33 pm

I agree!!! All Logan said to Rory’s question about the marriage was “It seems so”. I think all Rory had to say was “I’ll marry you” and Logan would have jumped for joy!
      Go back and look at his face as he is leaving her, nothing but pure love and wanting her to stop him from walking out.

• November 29, 2016 at 6:49 am

He talked about marrying Odette being the dynastic plan….pretty much saying that’s what expected of him which I think isn’t fair to Rory. That’s very much like Christopher with his parents. And if he found out about the baby I feel then he’s only gonna be with Rory for the baby (like Chris with Sherry) again which isn’t fair for her. I mean we may all see it differently but I saw it like that. Logan might not be Christopher exactly but they are very much similar really when you think about them both. Really Rory deserves better then all her old boyfriends.

• November 28, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Where are all the Rory&Jess likers? I would like to hear you guys’ opinion about the ending. For me the whole revival was like the food you will learn to love once you’ve tasted it many times. Don’t get me wrong, I LIKED it a lot from the beginning (even the first 30secs of Winter got me teary), but there were some parts that felt a bit stretched. I loved Kirk even more than before. Emily finding herself was a fantastic storyline. But, Rory cheating and let someone disrespect her, felt wrong. Did she not learn anything from Dean? And now Rory’s going to have Logan’s baby? I wonder if Logan jumped back in or would he still marry Odette anyway… And Jess… aaah, Jess, jess, jess. He is still in love with Rory. But would he be there for her after hearing the baby news? I doubt it. He’s not a guy to take care of someone else’s kids- especially Logan’s. Amy put a good old twist in this storyline. It bugs me, but that’s the beauty of it. Anyway, i loved the wedding, the secret bar scene, and Sookie’s return. Very emotional weekend with Gilmore girls, i’d say. I’m glad the waiting is over and now we’ll get to enjoy the whole series and revival on netflix.

• November 28, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Mcityrk and Lathany, firstly your restraint / insanity is astonishing. When you finally do get around to it, there’s something to be said for not gobbling them up in one go. It’s no wonder there’s so much obsessing about the ending after enduring 6 straight exhasuting hours. There’s a lot to chew on. Secondly, hiiiii!!

Also hi to everyone who remembers me, and to those who don’t – it’s a genuine pleasure :)

Ursula, by all accounts you’re not the only one who wants MORE! Don’t get me wrong, I loved it and I would welcome more but if it was never part of the original intention, well that’s how you end up with Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story; or Indiana Jones and aliens. More does not necessarily equate to better. Rory quoted from Buffy which means Amy is feeding from Joss Whedon which means anyone is fair game. Have you considered what might or might not have changed if Ed Herrmann had not passed away?

Ginny and MT, every time I saw out-of-context dancing I remembered Bunheads was axed and I let it go. The few dancing scenes we had in Gilmore were special but not balletic: TJ and Liz’ wedding, Richard and Emily’s renewed vows. Amy was originally a dancer and dance trainer and by all accounts Bunheads was a labour of love mistreated and then murdered by the studio system. That said, I’m with you on the realism – Rory’s relationships with Logan, Jess and Dean were more real, more grown-up and so much more engaging than I was expecting. As for Rory herself – well, we’ll get to her. And the musical.

Renee, I laughed with the wifi bit too. What an ash hole :)

Salon & GilmoreFan, I always thought Logan was a wonderful support for Rory and she clearly enjoyed the luxuriant lifestyle and handbags. He gave her space when she needed it, he adores her and if Odette wasn’t in the picture he’d clearly be the easy option. But he didn’t inspire her. I wonder if our choice of teams says more about us than her…

Denise, I would pay to see them explaining the Rory surrogate suggestion to Luke.

And Chantal also that they played the normal ending music as a bit of hillbilly escape music when we see Lorelai’s ‘FREE’ backpack (because she was suddenly… free). I remember we had some thoughts about spin-offs before, hang on. Yes, here we go: https://www.gilmorenews.com/2015/04/21/the-taylor-doose-diaries-and-other-gilmore-girls-spin-offs/

• November 29, 2016 at 12:27 am

Rich, I’ll try and remember the one-at-at a time thing when I get there!

My plan, maybe starting over Xmas, is to go back to the start and then write posts in response to each of Arieanna’s original episode summaries and questions as I go through. I wasn’t around back when she first produced them so I haven’t done that before. Although I have posted about the earlier seasons when she did call-back posts.

Whilst I haven’t seen the revival, I am aware of many of the events and I suspect they’ll have an impact on what I write. Back when Christopher first turns up in season one, for example, I remember thinking “Who is this? What is his history with Lorelai?” Having seen Rory’s history with Logan already so some degree, it will be interesting to see Christopher’s introduction a second time around and draw parallels (or not).

I get what you mean about spoilers. I find that I can go one of two ways – total avoidance or completely accepting I’ve been spoilered. Although it’s usually the latter with TV (with films I don’t go to the cinema enough to be too badly spoilered).

• November 28, 2016 at 2:29 pm

I loved everything about it, warts and all. I even loved the ending, but I’m one of those people who like endings that don’t match up with public expectations. Makes it seem a bit more realistic and relatable. That being said, there are a few moments that I wish were a little different or had more clarity.

1. I agree with many people that the whole musical scene should have been much shorter. I love that they had the lead actress in Bunheads be the lead in the Musical, but I think it would have been better if she had partnered up with Miss Patty as a dancing instructor…kind of like taking the Bunheads character and fitting it nicely within the Gilmore Girls world. Her character in Bunheads would have been a great match to be best friends with Lorelei, kind of like filling in Sookie’s shoes as best friends.

2. Also, it doesn’t make sense why Sookie would just up and leave the Inn and stop socializing or communicating with Lorelei. They were best friends, that doesn’t just end unless something major happened. Did Lorelei and Sookie have a falling out or did Sookie have a midlife crisis?

3. And who wrote that letter? Lorelei and Emily were in therapy and Emily comments on a nasty letter she believed Lorelei wrote to her on her birthday. Lorelei repeatedly denied ever writing such a letter. So who wrote it and why? It’s just an odd mention and an odd argument they had about it. There must be a story behind that somewhere.

4. There should have been more of a story involving Lane and how she balances family life and the band. Also, now that she’s a mother, how her and her own mother’s relationship has evolved. And father for that matter, now that we know he actually is alive!

• November 28, 2016 at 2:42 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed it, I loved it too. However, I must admit while I completely understand where you’re coming from, I still want more!! 😀
    I’m 100% Team Jess and this revival convinced me even further that he’s the right guy for Rory. When Rory feels lost, Logan listens to her, but does he really do anything for her? He just throws money at her because that’s the way he’s been brought up – he thinks everything can be fixed with money. Jess SEES her though, he gets her more than any guy and he proves it yet again when he sets her on the right path with this book. He helps her and boy does he love her?!! That look melted my heart.
    Anyway, like you, I have a million things I could say about all this. So I’m just going to say overall I loved it and Mr Kim, well that was just genious!

• November 28, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Amy, Dan, MORE, MORE, MORE! I feel as if I’ve come home again. And to all you naysayers: you are over thinking the whimsy and wonder that is Star’s Hollow. Suspend your disbelief and love the journey.

• November 28, 2016 at 3:21 pm

About Emily: In the first seven years we saw glimpses of the cracks in Emily’s mask,
    especially with Richard’s mother- the original Lorelei. Perhaps this
    contributed to her deep sense of failure when Lorelei got pregnant as a
    teenager. We also witnessed Emily rally when she put Logan’s mother in
    her place. However, she did sincerely love Richard. (And Richard may
    have had his own “Christopher”or “Logan” with his own university
    sweetheart.) Emily was always more complex than we gave her credit for.
    And so — despite her grief — being widowed gave her a kind independence
    that was not possible when she was a young woman. She could speak her
    mind and she did! She stripped off the veneer with salty language which
    is maybe why she wants to live by the sea. I would love to see her as a
    great grandmother advocating or what or who could only be another Gilmore Girl. I
    wonder if Rory will name the baby Emily?

• November 28, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Hi Rich,

Well written thanks for posting!

I’ve posted this elsewhere but would love to hear your thoughts;

Money talks, if this revival is successful Netflix will be after more content and I can’t imagine ASP/DP will turn down a mega payday with full creative control.

ASP hasn’t exactly had any other shows take off since her breakthrough with GG.

Also I read an article stating Graham, Bledel and Bishop have not signed on for any other projects, I believe Patterson has some movies in pre-production but is open to doing more Gilmore. The Good Wife is finished so that also frees up Czuchry too. There’s your main cast sorted and I’m sure the guest stars like Agena and co would be over the moon to come back again.

It’s important to note that Netflix make much better margins out of Original Programming like this reboot so that is in more Gilmore’s favor also.

If Fuller House is being renewed I’d find it hard to believe Gilmore doesn’t get another run around!

Your mention of quality over quantity is extremely valid though Rich, hopefully if it did come back they wouldn’t try to cram 7 seasons worth of characters in one go and give the story a chance to breathe.

• November 28, 2016 at 6:41 pm

I know the show has to end and loved the way it ended. The circle of life was complete, but I felt a sadness that it was over.

• November 28, 2016 at 7:28 pm

I’m apologies in advance if I offend anyone but I can’t remember when I’ve been so disappointed. I found it irritating and maddening in equal measure with, as usual, Kelly Bishop as Emily giving the story the only bit of heart and soul it had. Lorelei and Rory continue to be selfish, ego-driven and obsessed with themselves – they haven’t grown in ten years and the only maturity either of them demonstrates in this fluff-piece is Lorelei’s decision to actually, finally commit herself and marry Luke. As for the other characters, they remain frozen in time – largely relegated to brief moments and cameos – caricatures of themselves and of real people.
    Emily by contrast, is the one who moves forward, coming to terms with grief, letting it break her and expand her in new ways so that in the end, after a few false starts, she is able to begin a new life, with new relationships and new emotional depths. Nevertheless, she remains shut out of her daughter’s and grand-daughter’s lives while Lorelei and Rory dance through their snow globe town and it’s over-the-top wedding cake set, concerned only with themselves.
    If the final wedding sequence, with its tulle curtains, ballet dancers and fairy lights, had been the only piece of ‘musical’ indulgence it certainly could have been forgiven, but in addition we had to endure the pointless Stars Hollow musical, and the steam punk sequence of Logan and friends dancing through town, playing golf across roof tops and taking over a tango club – surely some of the most self-indulgent, tripe ever filmed for a TV show.
    And as for the much hyped final four words – never did an ending seem like such a cheap trick and pathetic set up for more. I understand it’s supposed to be about a ‘full circle’ but that in itself is such a cliche. Unless someone wakes up and gives Emily her own show I hope we will now leave finally behind the increasingly annoying and shallow Lorelei and Rory who even before the first series ended had started to become little more than pathetic whiners, wallowing in their hang-ups and their obsessive, narcissistic ‘love’ for each other. This series did nothing to redeem them.
    And with that I’d better stop, otherwise y’all might start getting some idea of how I really feel.

• November 28, 2016 at 9:38 pm

You know that if you don’t like the show, you don’t have to watch. And to be honest most of the people are selfish to some point in life. So I wouldn’t be so harsh about the characters. Emily was not a flower either throughout most of the show. Yes, she changed in the end but so did Lorelei and Rory. Too bad you missed these parts.

• November 29, 2016 at 4:11 am

The Musical scenes, while long, allowed us to see the deep numbing grief Lorelei was experiencing. In past seasons she would have embraced /mocked such a town event; here she analyzes with her head only. The final song was key to opening her heart, leading to her Wild trip.

L&DB scenes = the conception of Rory’s baby. Wizard of Oz lines at the end of L&DB scenes … remember what follows in the movie “There’s no place like home”

• November 29, 2016 at 5:34 am

Are you making another season of the Gilmore girls the new one

• November 29, 2016 at 9:43 am

Great article!!! You’ve summed up so many of my feelings. I do have one quick thought, though.

You mentioned (and I agree with you) that, “Cameo-wise, Liz and TJ’s absence was amply filled by a running joke with a fitting pay-off…” As a TJ fan, I’ve been thinking about this since I finished the episodes. We’ve known for a while that ASP previously revealed that she had a planned story line for one of Rory’s love interests that she was unable to follow because of budgetary restrictions. Everyone (that I’ve seen) has assumed that this meant that Jared P. was too unavailable or expensive. BUT, I think the story line that was cut was the TJ/Liz one! When we were first getting information about the revival, a lot of articles mentioned that we’d be seeing a hippie commune, and yet we didn’t.

What do you think?? And, if that’s the case, I wonder if that means that all the costs would’ve been too much (paying actors, building sets, etc.) or if Milo V. was asking for too much money for his time… I hope it wasn’t the latter, because Team Jess forever. Either way, I wish we had gotten to see at least a little bit of this funny story line!

• November 29, 2016 at 4:23 pm

@AH

I would of loved to see Liz and TJ, unfortunately I believe they weren’t asked to reprise their roles (if you do and search of them there are articles about it).

Jared Padalecki was right in the middle of shooting Supernatural so was flown in for the day during filming which is a shame.

I would of really liked to see Max reprise his role, would of fit in nicely during the Chilton scenes, Rory had a special relationship with him also, just my two cents.

• November 30, 2016 at 7:10 am

So weird that they weren’t asked back. I saw a tweet from Kathleen Wilhoite to Melissa McCarthy (back when Melissa said she hadn’t been asked to reprise her role) that said, “Hah! Well then I’m in good company. You rule, Melissa. I wasn’t asked back either, though, I think for entirely different reasons.” I wonder what those reasons were… Makes me sad.

Honestly, I feel like the Dean scene was enough for me. I didn’t need to see more of him. Not that I dislike him–I just feel that the scene wrapped everything up nicely.

I agree about Max, though! It would’ve made sense for him to pop up at Chilton, a la Digger’s quick cameo. I know some people hated Max, but I always liked him.

Overall, I think they did a great job bringing a lot of characters back in ways that made sense. Buuuut I was still shocked at how little Jess we saw!

• November 30, 2016 at 9:38 am

I agree would have loved to see Liz and TJ because you know they would have been amusing!!

I loved Dean’s scene I thought it was a perfect ending for them and at times I didn’t like in the regular series but this just made me smile I was happy to see him happy and with such a big family haha.

I think Max would have been a great addition too he was a character I always liked.

I was sad at hoe little Jess was in it too even though all his scenes were still amazing but I wish we saw a bit more. I do know Milo has said he’d come back again if they made more which is good to hear. :)

• March 17, 2017 at 3:54 am

Oops I didn’t notice Max was missing til just then. I wonder if he’s saved in a Palladino back-pocket as a potential roadbump.

• November 29, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Amy clearly didn’t watch Season 7. If she had two things would be different.

1. There is no way Lorelai would have gotten married without Emily again. Richard and Emily were so hurt when Christopher and Lorelai eloped in Paris and then Amy has her do the same thing again!

2. The whole Rory/Logan storyline in no way reflected who they were in Season 7. Their relationship didn’t start in the best way but he was always honest with her. Lying and cheating was not who they were. They both had grown a lot in their relationship. What happened to Logan moving to California after leaving his family business? How did they get over the proposal? It’s like Amy wrote Logan as the guy he was the first time we met him not who he became. Logan was never Rory’s Christopher. I get the whole “full circle” concept but the reality of who Rory and Logan were doesn’t fit with the idea.

• December 13, 2016 at 10:46 am

Olá! Eu sou do Brasil e amo a série gilmore. Foi maravilhoso ter Rory e Logan novamente. será quem chances de mais capítulos? esse é realmente o fim? o que será de mim sem as Gilmore.

Hello! I’m from Brazil and I love the series gilmore. It was wonderful to have Rory and Logan again. It chances of more chapters? This is really the end? What will become of me without the Gilmore.