Why is Kirk Having Dinner at Emily’s?

The trailer for Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life debuted today and I have to say, OMG!  It was completely magical and surprising, with wonderful images, teases and even some revelations.  A shock for me was seeing Kirk having dinner at Emily Gilmore’s.  What’s up with that?  I’m not the only one wondering.  Fellow Gilmore News writer Brittany in her excellent analysis/breakdown of the trailer also raised the question, making a connection between Kirk at dinner and a previously-released image of Luke at the same dinner (Lorelai is wearing the same dress).

Gilmore Girls

The ever-impish Sean Gunn got into the fun, as well:

So what does it mean, how does it transpire, and don’t we just love Kirk?

Kirk is sitting at the dinner table as a guest, not as a servant or some kind of interloper.  He’s got food, a glass of wine and even a lit candle in front of him.  He’s definitely been invited.  I’ve seen some comments to Brittany’s article speculating he’s perhaps a realtor helping Emily sell her home or that he’s helping to plan Lorelai’s wedding to Luke.

I’m wondering if he might be a Gilmore love interest.  What, no, get out of town!  Let’s take a look.  In the original series, the only other non-Gilmore Stars Hollowans (or Stars Hollow-ites) to have eaten at the Gilmore Mansion have been Lorelai’s and Rory’s love interests.  If Kirk is a love interest, which Gilmore girl is he squiring—Lorelai, Rory or Emily?

Let’s start with Lorelai.  Although the trailer confirms Luke and Lorelai are together, at which point?  Knowing their rocky history, they could be on a break when Kirk decides to make his move.  If this odd pairing does happen, it might explain why Luke shows up, perhaps to confront the new couple.  Kirk has asked Lorelai out before and shown at times a protective propensity towards her along with a complete disregard for her in his very Kirkian way.  But what about Lulu?  Plus, Lorelai has already made it clear she was not interested in Kirk.  And they’re completely wrong for one another.

Next, let’s take Rory into consideration.  Although Kirk is closer to Lorelai’s age, Rory seems at this juncture in her life to be rootless and without direction.  Perhaps Kirk has changed and is able to offer support and encouragement?  Even if it’s possible and I doubt it, it’s a big ewww.

My vote is for an Emily-Kirk romance.  Far-fetched?  Let’s unpack it.  Now that Richard has passed away, we see Emily is going through a major life change and perhaps she finds it unbearable being alone.  Kirk was not in her social class but we do know that he was wealthy by Stars Hollow standards and in the intervening years, may have invested with great success.  What if he now practically owns Stars Hollow and Taylor works for him, with Luke’s Diner being the one holdout to his complete domination?  Following that scenario, let’s say Emily invites Kirk for dinner, thinking it quite a coup since he could become a major donor for one of her charities.  While it is true she’s already met Kirk, Emily has a way of forgetting people and things when it’s convenient for her–she would not want to know or think of Kirk as that smalltown oddjobs guy.  Kirk is able to put on airs about himself and his pomposity might connect well with Emily.  Also, their unique brands of illogic might sync up.

Emily and Kirk together would odd and a hoot.  Can you imagine him, wearing a cravat and holding a snifter, making grand pronouncements while treating Lorelai as his daughter and Rory as his granddaughter?

Anyhow, those are my two cents.  Can’t wait to find out what they’ve really cooked up for us!

28 thoughts on “Why is Kirk Having Dinner at Emily’s?

• October 26, 2016 at 8:42 am

Does no one remember that Kirk said he befriends lonely older women?

• October 26, 2016 at 8:44 am

You were thinking the same thing I was at exactly the same time ;)

• October 26, 2016 at 12:13 pm

I thought about that also.

• October 26, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Yes! Exactly what I was thinking. That is how Luke got Loelai’s ring. They seem to really be tapping in to those tiny moments from the past: pop tart and Apple from the study group where Rory and Paris become “friends,” the vicious trolup lip stick instigram from Emily and Lorelei’s weekend away etc. this could just be another circle back in some odd way. Emily does ask Lorelei to explain “who this man is”

• October 26, 2016 at 8:43 am

Love this theory! Very entertaining in deed! Let’s not forget, Kirk has romanced many “mature” women. Remember his ring collection? Luke purchased Lorelai’s first engagement ring from this collection. I don’t think Kirk would be in it for the jewelry, but I’m sure Emily has plenty of other reasons that entice this suave entrepreneur!

• October 26, 2016 at 8:53 am

And where did he go when Luke comes in? His napkin and knife remain, but he, his palte, and the chair are gone.

• October 26, 2016 at 8:54 am

I have to disagree. If we look at both pictures, it is clear that in the photo with Luke there is no place setting next to Lorelai, where Kirk is sitting. There is a fourth place setting opposite Emily, but this is most likely Luke’s place. Also note that someone must have been sitting in that place because there is food in front of it.

Second, Emily asks why Kirk is there, to which Lorelai replies with a “who knows?” type of answer. If he was dating any of them, Emily would not ask that question. She can be cold, but she isn’t stupid.

Third, Luke has his annoyed-at-Kirk face on in the photo, which could suggest that it is his fault Kirk is at dinner with them.

The most likely scenario that I can gather from this evidence is that Emily, Lorelai, Rory, and Kirk were all having dinner together. Kirk called Luke because he was having some sort of emergency. Luke went, for some reason couldn’t leave Kirk alone, and brought him back to dinner with him. That would explain why Luke is standing, why there is a fourth place set with food but no one sitting there, and why Kirk’s place setting appears only in the trailer and not in the photo with Luke.

The question remains (if this theory is true): why did Kirk call Luke and why did Luke have to bring him back to dinner?

• October 26, 2016 at 10:40 am

The place setting is actually next to Lorelai. There is a folded napkin and the position of the bread plate in comparison to the ladies show the setting is there.

• October 26, 2016 at 8:56 am

Well in the trailer, Emily asks who this person is again, Lorelai responds, “Oh, that I could.” That pretty much rules out Both of them for me, Emily not really beignm aware of who he is and why he is there, and Lorelai not really getting it either. As far as maybe Lorelai setting Emily up, I doubt that too. remember how horrified she is when her mother starts dating in the previous episodes? Plus it is soon after Richards death, looks like the winter episode to me. I doubt Rory, she’s smarter than that.

• October 26, 2016 at 9:15 am

Lorelai and Emily may be talking about a different person in that clip. Maybe they aren’t referring to Kirk. Hard to tell in a clip like that.

• October 26, 2016 at 9:34 am

I think it’s a dream.

• October 26, 2016 at 9:37 am

Maybe it’s a dream sequence, and it’s all just Lorelai’s mumbo-jumbo?

• October 26, 2016 at 10:02 am

I’m betting on a dream for both – Luke would never wear those clothes to Emily’s

• October 26, 2016 at 10:35 am

Maybe Kirk took his plate and left the room? Seems like a Kirk thing to do, and explains why there is a napkin, knife, and bread plate left on the table but no plate. Like Luke told him to leave and he’s all, “well, I’m taking my food with me.”

• October 26, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Well if you remember when Emily goes to see Luke after she breaks up Luke and Lorelei and all that stuff goes down at Richard and Emily’s vow renewal. Kirk is sitting in the diner when Emily goes to speak with Luke and to tell him to get back together with Lorelei Emily asks Kirk if he can give them a minute and Kirk says sure and takes his plate outside with him and eats with his face pressed up against the glass. So he has a record for doing this in the past.

• October 26, 2016 at 10:36 am

I don’t think the seat opposite Emily is laid out, for one that is Richards seat and I cannot see Emily letting someone else sit there. I think Kirk is sitting to the left of Lorelai but leaves quickly when Luke enters but he takes the wine and plate of food with him. Which is why the knife is at a funny angle in the photo with Luke.

I don’t think Lorelai is commenting about why Kirk is there but is just commenting on Kirk in general.

I very much doubt he’s there at a date, Emily has told Rory before that she can bring a friend. It’s possible Kirk just tagged along because he’s Kirk. We have seen him turn up at meetings for the inn before now just on a whim without actually having reason to be there.

He could be filling in for Luke who was delayed for some reason. Who knows.

• October 26, 2016 at 10:39 am

I was totally thinking of Kirk befriending lonely, older ladies when I read this theory! It does look like it was soon after Richard’s death since the dining chairs are still there and the Gilmore are dressed in mourning colors. Maybe Kirk just wanted to tag along. I’m still wondering what that loud crunch was!

Honestly, I think there was a lot of “cut and paste” in the trailer to throw people off, so Emily could be talking about anyone when she asks who somebody is.

• October 26, 2016 at 11:25 am

I don’t know why Kirk is there, it could just be a dream sequence but I really hope it isn’t because it has to be the potential to be one of the BEST scenes ever!!! I never knew how badly I wanted to see Kirk and Emily in the same scene. I know they’ve been in the same room before (Bracebridge Dinner and Rory’s graduation party etc.) but how amazing could them sharing actual dialogue be?!

Weirdly, I think the Gilmore girl with the most intriguing storyline could be Emily. I’m really looking forward to seeing her again.

• October 26, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Kirk also had a scene with dialogue with Emily at Luke’s Diner when she came to tell him to get back together with Lorelai after the vow renewal disaster. They talked about Luke’s mud pie with possible gummy worms added by Luke. S5 E6; So… Good Talk. That scene was great, and seeing them together again will be fantastic.

• October 26, 2016 at 11:28 am

All you guys have way too much time on your hands
    And that’s coming from a hardcore Gilmore Fan!!!!

• October 26, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Ok so here is this. If you notice Kirk is seated next to Lorelei at the table if he were dating Emily don’t you think he would be seated at the head of the table. Also if you pay attention to the trailer at one point Lorelei is talkig to someone about her relationship with Luke and it kind of at least makes me wonder if they are having some kind of trouble with there relationship. But then again we won’t know until the episodes are released. I can’t wait to see the show it looks hilarious.

• October 26, 2016 at 2:04 pm

But Emily asks “who is this man?” during the dinner…

• October 27, 2016 at 1:40 am

It makes no sense she is saying who is this man- bracebridge, Luke’s diner, the time emily and Richard were in stars hollow wasn’t he their realtor and the time emily called the inn and found something out she said Kirk had told her (I forget what she found out)- hmmmmm

• October 27, 2016 at 10:18 am

If I remember well, Emilly called the inn looking for Lorelai and Kirk told her that she probably were in her boyfriend’s place, Luke, in that time. So, Emily found out that Lorelai was dating Luke and after that she invited her and him to dinner.

• October 27, 2016 at 12:56 pm

I have a really great theory and I don’t think he could be a love interest, for any of them. You see, there is a place next to Lorelai with a napkin and a knife, exactly the same way when we eat and let the table after dinner. So, what I really think is that Emily invited Luke to dinner, but Lorelai and Luke have had a fight and it got implicit that Lorelai didn’t want him to go. But something happens and Emily says that the food has been already cooked for 4 people. So, Lorelai decides to take someone else. She can’t invite Sookie, because she would have to invite all of the family, so she invites Kirk. Emily thinks everything is kind of weird with Kirk and not Luke, so she calls him and ask him to go there. Now he have two options:1) The conversation get a little bad and Kirk decides to go before Luke gets there. 2)Luke gets there and Kirk get a little embarrased with the situation and decides to go out.

• October 27, 2016 at 8:02 pm

This is just probably Lorelai messing with Emily, she loved doing these types of things.

• October 29, 2016 at 8:23 am

Emily is not wearing a T-Shirt yet… could Kirk be there to become her new life coach? He has had pretty much every job 😳

• Pingback: Sunn Gunn Shares What Makes Kirk So Relatable – Gilmore News – Gilmore Girls Community