Official Trailer for Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life

Well, this is a pleasant surprise! Despite the fact that I wasn’t expecting an official trailer until the EW PopFest on October 29th, which was to have an ‘exclusive first look,’ we are now getting that first look HERE and TODAY. This is the revelation from the Stars Hollow website countdown!

The first official trailer is over two minutes long and is chock-a-block FULL of pop culture references.

The trailer opens up with Rory just returning to Stars Hollow, going out for her ‘tour,’ since she’s been away for so long. We see Luke berating the girls for their dinner choice. We see the unveiling of the giant Richard Gilmore painting. And Rory tries to argue her career choice, which leaves her “rootless,” (with a little criticism from Emily). And just WHY is Kirk at Friday Night Dinner?! And then it gets darker, as we knew it would. Lorelai seems to be questioning whether or not she is “happy” with Luke. Emily is struggling as a widow, decluttering whatever doesn’t bring her ‘joy’ (everything). Rory is feeling “lost,” venting to Jess (!!) about it.

It’s Stars Hollow! Familiar (and new) faces! And it’s perfection. If possible, I’d say that Lauren Graham has somehow managed to add even more nuances to her rapid-fire delivery of some of these lines. The dynamic is back to early Gilmore Girls days, it’s bright and oh-so-Amy Sherman-Palladino!

“Haven’t done that for a while.” “It felt good.” Indeed.

Here is the official description:

Gilmore girls makes its much-anticipated return with four memorable chapters from the lives of Lorelai, Emily, Rory and countless more Stars Hollow stalwarts. Picking up nine years after we last ​dropped in on the whimsical Connecticut town, Gilmore girls: A Year in the Life finds each of our ​leading ladies at a major crossroad: Lorelai’s relationship with Luke is at an unnerving standstill; Rory’s budding journalism career in New York has stalled before it’s even begun; and Emily’s world is turned upside down following the untimely passing of her beloved husband, Richard.

Gilmore girls: A Year in the Life is told through four 90-minute chapters — each spanning one season: Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall — and brings back to life everything from the quaint corner diner to the dreamy Dragonfly Inn to a fast-talking, quick-witted mother-daughter love story unlike any other. Gilmore girls: A Year in the Life launches Friday, November 25, everywhere that Netflix is available.

Now, who wants to screen cap all the major scenes for me?!

36 thoughts on “Official Trailer for Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life

• October 25, 2016 at 8:46 am

I have a feeling that the scene near the end of the trailer when Lorelei is surrounded by dancers is when Luke proposes and the scene where Emily is holding tea standing in front of a trail of light posts near the Inn is wedding preparations.

I have NO idea how Logan is factoring in this. I was trying to gauge where he was based on the 2 second shot of him on a couch but all I can figure is that it’s Summertime and he has recently gotten into playing guitar since there are 2 in a corner. WHY IS HIS ROLE SO UNDERWRAPS! Ugh.

Based on Jess/Rory’s interaction scene, Rory is at some sort of small local-ish paper. I bet he will do what he did in season 6 and raise her spirits up and tell her to keep at it.

• October 25, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Logan kept guitars at his place at Yale too

• October 25, 2016 at 9:01 am

Jess and Rory are at the “Stars Hollow Publishing House” (can read the letters on the window). If Rory is living a vagabond life, doesn’t that mean Jess is working there?! #teamjess

• October 25, 2016 at 9:34 am

The the impression I got from Milo interviews, is that Jess doesn’t live in Stars Hollow but comes back occasionally to visit Luke.

• October 25, 2016 at 9:54 am

I’m just so excited for these episodes everytime I see something my excitement grows. Just every moment I saw made me smile or just want to get emotional (the Richard parts are gonna hurt). And yes I’ll admit one of my favorite parts was seeing Rory venting to Jess again (because I loved them together and always shipped them the most but even if they don’t have a happily ever after together I always wanted as a teenager I’m just happy they talk and our friends).

Am I the only one that after so many years just want Luke and Lorelai to finally have their happily ever after? If any couple deserves it it’s them already! I was thinking the other day Amy says this mini series ends with one of the Gilmore Girls saying 4 words (I think that’s what she said correct me if I’m wrong) so I was thinking what if it’s Lorelai saying “Luke I am pregnant.” Just would I go insane. I mean we won’t know anything but wouldn’t that be an amazing ending. Just let me live in my fairytale with that for awhile haha.

I’m jst excited to follow these three Gilmore girls and many of our other beloved characters. Just Novement 25th can’t come soon enough….even though then I’ll end up binge watching them all then it will be over and I’ll be slightly sad but it’s gonna be so amazing I’ll love every minute of it.

• October 26, 2016 at 8:59 am

Along your train of thought about the last 4 words, I have thought for the longest time that the last for words would be: “It’s another Gilmore Girl!” – but I am unsure of who will be pregnant – Lorelai or Rory.

• October 26, 2016 at 11:50 am

Yes that’s even better then my line I came up with haha. In my brain I kinda wish it’s Lorelai but I could see them making Rory pregnant but come on who doesn’t want Luke and Lorelai having a baby.

• October 25, 2016 at 10:13 am

As much as I LOVED seeing a Rory/Jess interaction and Luke and Loreali (mental block on the spelling) so clearly together – the things that I loved the most from this trailer where EMILY IN JEANS and KIRK AT FRIDAY NIGHT DINNER! I never knew how badly I needed to see these two things!!!!

Loved seeing the Gilmore Guys at the Inn – that was a surprise! If you haven’t heard their podcast – you should give it a go – its hilarious!

• October 26, 2016 at 7:14 am

Just google Gilmore Guys and a link will come up. They also have some video podcasts on Youtube.

• October 25, 2016 at 10:24 am

Am I the only one who swooned at “You’re still a contender”? #TeamJess

• October 27, 2016 at 1:36 am

Nope, I thought it was interesting of all 3 guys he got a speaking role & WITH RORY. Dean & logan just got 1 second flashes. Just saying if that was Logan sitting across from Rory while she was venting to him. #TeamLogan would be thinking they were endgame. But NO it was Jess.

• October 25, 2016 at 11:13 am

Rory will be pregnant in the fall episode i think (luke wants her to eat healthier and the poster with the leaf at her belly) and sookie is baking lorelais wedding cake!!!! And jess is working for the stars hollow press and gives Rory a job hehehhe

• October 25, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Luke is telling them to eat healthier it’s the Winter episode you can see its winter with the decorations. Not saying she can’t end up pregnant but from all the clips from each season i don’t see her pregnant unless it ends on her being pregnant would just be a cliffhanger.

Would love Sookie to be making Lorelai’s wedding cake and for Jess to give Rory a job :)

• October 25, 2016 at 12:32 pm

I’m not gonna pretend to know what any of it means, but I will admit it made me cry like a homesick child lol November 25th can’t get here soon enough!!!

• October 25, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Emily in jeans! I feel like the world is off its axis! Just watching this trailer made me smile and giggle. I CANNOT wait for these to air!!!

• October 25, 2016 at 1:13 pm

What do you think the limo is for behind Luke in the diner? Is this video a hint she will choose Jess?

• October 25, 2016 at 2:04 pm

I think it’s a town car, not a limo and I think it’s Emily visiting Luke at the diner.

• October 25, 2016 at 3:18 pm

I think it’s Logan coming to visit Luke!

• October 25, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Wish they had focused on Paris a few seconds longer!

• October 25, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Ok, major nerd alert here, but you can copy the YouTube link of the trailer and paste it on the site youtubeslow.com and it will play the trailer in slow-motion. I only watched it three times! And I’ll probably go back for more. Haha! I’m trying to get clues based on the background settings…

• October 26, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Thank you for mentioning the youtubeslow site. Love it. I had
      never heard of it and so glad to find it thru you.

• October 25, 2016 at 3:35 pm

I got teary eyed with the Richard mentions ;(

So lovely to see everyone!

Paris has her Bonnie hair lol

SOOKIE!!!!! She’s really there

• October 25, 2016 at 5:05 pm

What is with the LARGE ribbon on the fridge?

Does anyone think that other picture of Luke at Friday night dinner goes with Kirk there? Maybe .. It is a dream?

• October 29, 2016 at 1:51 pm

that’s what I was thinking! why is there a bog bow on the fridge?

• October 25, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Maybe it’s wishful thinking, but I’m getting major “friend zone” vibes from the Jess scene. #teamlogan

• October 25, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Frriends can get together also ;-) I was friends with my bf for 5 years before we started dating and we live together now.

• October 26, 2016 at 8:22 am

I would really love for Rory and Jess to be friends but I want her to realise that he’s the one that is always there when she needs them and the one that really gets her.

I would hate for her to end up with Logan. It would ruin the whole show for me. I know there are those that loved Logan – I’m truly baffled as to why, but each to their own – but even if I put my disdain for this character to one side, I honestly believe that Rory ending up with Logan would be all wrong for the show. I can’t see Logan be any different to who is was when we left him. I believe he will be very successful, maybe back working with his Dad and secure in who he is and what he wants – he was well on the way to that when we last saw him. (I would really like to see all of Rory’s exes at the very least, happy.) But Rory still seems to be on a journey and I can’t see that journey ending in Logan. For lack of better words, I just think Logan is too much of an easy option.

Truthfully, I see Rory ending up single. I think we will come back to Rory on a journey of discovery but that doesn’t neccessarily mean that we will see the journey’s end. I would love for there to be at least a hint of Rory and Jess – maybe arranging to just meet for coffee or dinner somewhere – but I don’t see a definitive ending for Rory’s love life.

• October 26, 2016 at 11:48 am

I agree with this so much. As much as I love Jess and Rory I really think like Alexis said everyone is too focused on who she will end up with (I almost wonder if that’s a hint to maybe she will be with none of them). But yeah I agree I think Rory will be single (even though my teenage self is coming out again and slightly bitter all Rory’s boyfriends got a second chance but Jess) and I think it should be that way probably since she always wanted to be a journalist traveling the world and I kinda want her to get that and all the guys would tie her somewhere. Anyways just I agree with you and just can’t wait to see what will happen.

• October 27, 2016 at 1:44 am

Would you be saying the same thing if that was Logan she was talking to in that scene?… Anyway if they are ‘friends’ wouldn’t surprise me. Rory & Jess have ALWAYS been friends. In fact the first time Logan Met Jess Rory introduced Jess as Her ‘old friend’ and in 6×18 when she went to visit Jess in Philadelphia they ended up kissing. Rory & Jess can Never be ‘”just friends” someone always makes a move to push it forward. Rory kissed Jess first while dating Dean and her & Jess were “just friends” and Jess kissed Rory in Philadelphia when they were “just friends” catching up but while she was still with Logan. Sorry the “just friends” doesn’t work for me. There is always more based on there track record.

• November 13, 2016 at 6:13 pm

So just cheaters then?

• October 25, 2016 at 9:36 pm

The shot of Emily at the end standing outside, holding a drink next to the path of candles hung in glass vases looks like it has the ocean in the background (and not the Inn). Reminds me of when she and Richard talked about getting a place on Cape Cod. It also reminds me of how Luke and Lorelei ended up loving their trip to Martha’s Vineyard and Luke told Lorelei they would have lobster at their wedding.

• October 26, 2016 at 12:18 pm

The scene that intrigued me was toward the end, Emily someplace Cape Cod-ish, smiling. Hoping it’s not Huntzberger related.

• October 28, 2016 at 9:53 am

Just finished watching all 7 seasons of GG for the first time- LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. Went onto Netflix site to make sure I didn’t have to do anything to see A Year in the Life, and I see Jesse as the front cover of the show link. I click on the show when I minimize it, Dean pops up. I think Netflix needs to watch the show. Am I crazy? Try it. Search for Gilmore Girls, then click on the series and then close that window. Just saying….

• October 31, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Netflix sometimes chooses the picture based on the viewers response to different movie icons. So might just trying to see if more people will watch the show if there’s a guy in a picture. Even though it doesn’t make any sense since he is not Gilmore and not a girl. Which is interesting because the show is about two independent women, so putting picture of the guy kind of strange

• October 29, 2016 at 1:12 pm

I don’t think from the trailer we can definitely know who will Rory end up with if not alone. Just because she had a conversation and a drink with Jess doesn’t mean that he is the end game.