Each of Rory’s Love Interests Will Get “Closure”

Alexis Bledel recently sat down with US Weekly to talk about Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, as we saw in the magazine spread. In a further interview, Alexis speaks directly to all the anticipation about her love life, which both Lauren and Alexis have commented on before with some valid points about our infatuation with their love lives:

“Their main strength is that they have themselves and each other. The show is sneakily feminist in that it’s always been great for them to have love, but they’re also okay when they don’t. It’s why we sometimes bristle at “What team are you on?!” It’s like, “It doesn’t matter.”

But, of course, it does matter to fans of the show, who want some closure. In her new interview, Alexis shares that we will get that closure:

“It think there is satisfying closure for any fans of any of the three couples that tend to get some attention,” Bledel says. “But they’re very different interactions. I would say each one of them [gets] closure in a different way.”

There has been a lot of talk about Rory’s return to Stars Hollow, and how her “vagabond life” has left her feeling unfulfilled, never “planting roots anywhere,” with no solid home of her own. I personally think this will be the catalyst that draws Rory back to think about her love life as well.

“She has been working hard, as she does. She started her work as a journalist at the same time that newspapers were going away. Her field changed dramatically as she was just kind of getting up and running. So that’s where we pick up with her.

It’s real time, so it’s been about eight years that she’s been living a bit of a vagabond lifestyle, kind of chasing each story that she becomes passionate about and wants to tell.”

In terms of her “closure” with Dean, Jess and Logan, we’ve previously heard that one character will have an “edge” and that Rory will make a choice, which we’ve always read as “she will choose one of them,” but of course could mean “she will reject them all,” so we don’t know for sure. Milo Ventimiglia commented that he was there to “move things forward” for others and he “never expected Jess to be the last stop,” and Jared Padalecki has commented on his very brief appearance in the show, making him unlikely to be “the one” for Rory. Matt Czuchry has been notably absent from interviews, though he did spend the most time on set

So, we’ll just have to see what kind of “closure” we get from all the characters! I personally think that Rory’s age will make a huge impact in how we see her move forward. In the first seven seasons, she was young and her love life was dramatic and intense. As she’s grown older and matured, I think what we see from her will change how she approaches her relationships.

Photo credit: Saeed Adyani/Netflix

34 thoughts on “Each of Rory’s Love Interests Will Get “Closure”

• September 14, 2016 at 8:55 am

Once this is all said and done, I would love to know what Amy Sherman-Palladino had planned for season 7…

• September 14, 2016 at 8:56 am

Please don’t disappoint us with their love life! Loralai should be with Luke and Rory should be with Jess! I am so excited and am watching a second time! It has to be my all time favorite tv show. I have laughed like crazy at these characters, especially Kirk!

• September 14, 2016 at 9:41 am

The more I think about it, the more I think Logan should be the one..Jess is great, but Rory and Logan managed to have a very mature relationship to Season 6 and 7, kind of grow together and give each other what they needed.

• September 14, 2016 at 9:47 am

Jess moving it forward for someone else is almost soul crushing. If he isn’t end game I will be devastated #TeamJess always.

• September 14, 2016 at 11:00 am

Unfortunately, it seems that Rory will end up with Logan, considering Matt Czuchry hasn’t interviewed and spent the most time on set…
    It’s either him or none of them :(

• September 14, 2016 at 11:20 am

I hope Rory ends up with Logan! He had a lot of growing up to do but I’m sure that’s been done in the 8 years that’s passed!

• September 14, 2016 at 11:49 am

I love Matt and have always been Team Logan!! So i think that is a perfect fit for her :)

• September 14, 2016 at 12:02 pm

I love Gilmore Girls and I am so happy we the fans get closure but my opinion is Rorry first live was Dean but they ended a long time ago Jess has serious love issues but Logan and Rorry were the perfect couple and the only reason they went separate ways was to find themselves but they didn’t stop loving each other.

• September 14, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Lorelei Should Be With Luke. They are meant for each other. Rory and Dean would be my choice.

• September 14, 2016 at 1:01 pm

I’m sure Rory will be fine. I want to see Luke and Lorelei together finally!

• September 14, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Team NoneOfThem. Hell, I’m team please don’t spend almost half of this revival focused on Rory’s love life.

• September 14, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Whomever Rory ends up with, I will not judge if the writing is comprehensible.
    Rory and Jess had a chemistry in season 2 and 3 that was special, but it was clear from the beginning that he is going to screw things up and Rory chose another man over him twice (first Dean, than Logan).
    Rory and Logan whereas made a great development from friends with benefits to strong commitment. Still, Rory put her career first.
    So, let’s wait and see and enjoy, no matter the final pick.

And now off the record: At this point, Rory and Jess make absolutely no sense to me. Team Logan :p

• September 14, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Should be Logan :)

• September 14, 2016 at 3:30 pm

JESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• September 14, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Perhaps I’ve read way too many romance novels (and, hell, have written some) but Rory and Jess could make absolutely perfect sense if written well. As could Rory/Logan. (Admitting I’m completely TeamJess here, though I do not hate Logan. He’s just not my choice.)

In fact, the premise of many romances (and this IS the romance portion of the show we’re talking about) involves someone who “returns home” to suddenly run into someone again. At a wedding or during the holidays. They’ve grown, changed, etc. Still have chemistry. Talking about old times brings it all back. Yada, yada. You’ve never met someone you knew all those years ago who is still hot or has this really interesting life now? I have.

I work with a guy (in his 50s) who just got married to his high school sweetheart. They lost touch after hs. 2nd marriage for both — they met again (as singles) at their 35th high school reunion!!! So — anything can happen and does. And GG is not real life. If ASP wanted Logan to be the deal originally, I’m pretty sure she’ll make it happen.

And if she wanted it to be Jess, then she’ll make that happen. (I do think it’s less likely due to MV comments but maybe he’s manipulating things a bit. )

Let’s just hope for great writing and the true feel of the show. Kirk and all the goofballs. Town meetings and festivals. I’m really going to try and be open to what happens.

• September 14, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Am I really the only one who has always wanted Rory to end up with Dean? I know it looks extremely unlikely due to the comments Jared Padalecki has made about his very brief appearance, but I still choose to hope against hope that there is someone of rekindled romance or fleeting moment between them, in the final season between Rory And Dean, even if it is just very brief.
    Their story just ended so abruptly.
    He was hands down the kindest and sweetest to Rory out of all three boyfriends.
    Also, on a completely seperate note , Has anyone else ever wondered Why there was there never a mention of Lanes dad in 7 season of the show!?! Where and what in the world happened to Mr. Kim?? This question has plagued me for years!

• September 14, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Logan! Please, Logan! And hope Luke and Lorelai get their happy ever after !!

• September 15, 2016 at 1:08 am

Thank you EastCoastTS, for I think it was a reply to my comment.
    I agree with you that Rory and Jess COULD make sense and as I stated before: If the writing is good I will not judge.
    But I can’t stop explaining one of my biggest reasons why I’d choose Logan:
    I would love Rory to end up with someone from her grandparents’ world or at least someone that kind of reconciles the two worlds. Logan can do that as he tried hard to get away from his spoilt life (as Lorelai) without giving everything up (as Lorelai did).
    Rory ending up with someone who is rejecting the rich world (Jess) and who will not be accepted by Emily (also Jess) makes family issues not only more complicated, but it is also the same story we had with Luke and Lorelai. I am in need of something in between!

• September 15, 2016 at 3:49 am

For me, I’d be okay if Rory ended up single but I would be still be disappointed that she and Jess didn’t end up together. However, if its Logan, I will be furiously, devastated! I’m sorry but I really just don’t get the appeal!

I receantly re-watched the series on Netflix. I hadn’t really watched the latter seasons since I was about 17/18 (now 26) and being older, I wanted to be more open minded when it came to the revival, as its something that I have wanted for a long time. I was hoping that maybe I would be more neutral on Rory’s love life or at least more open minded. I have definately seen some things differently and appriciated some things more than I did when I was 17 but when it comes to Rory and Logan, its made things so much worse! Before I didn’t like them but back then I was just so happy to see the back of Dean, I would have taken anything. Now, however, I will go as far as to say that Rory and Logan are my most hated TV couple of all time! ( I NOW LIKE DEAN MORE THAN LOGAN!!!!! WTF HAS HAPPENED TO ME OVER THE LAST DECADE??!! ) I think its mostly down to how Rory is with him, she’s really unlikable in the latter seasons and she never seems herself with Logan. But really don’t understand those that consider this her most “mature” relationship – perhaps in a physical sense – but she seems so much more immature in season 5-7 to me than she ever did before! I could go on and on about my utter disdain for Logan – their whole relationship just rubs me the wrong way!

Its Jess or no-one for me!

• October 31, 2016 at 10:27 pm

I don’t think you watched the show very carefully. From the middle of season 6 and during season 7 Rory turned her life around. She went back to school, she went back to internship in a newspaper, she became an editor of the Yale newspaper. She had a goal in life again and lots of ambitions. And I just would like to add, that you can say as many times as you want, that everything is Logan’s fault, but I disagree. She was influenced by his careless behavior and suggested to steal a yacht. But when she decided to drop out of Yale, this was not Logan’s influence. As I remember, he didn’t drop out of school. And the reason Rory decided not to go back to school – is because of her own insecurities and because of her inability to take any criticism. Nobody ever criticized her in her whole life. And once Mitchim criticized her performance, she immediately fell apart. That’s what sometimes defines strong and weak people. People, who are strong, will listen to the criticism and will only work harder in the future to prove critics wrong. And people, who are weak, will just give up. So what Rory did was because of her lack of confidence. Also sometimes people who criticize you, do it to make you work harder and better. So you should always strive to be better, and always consider the source (if there’s an alternative motive).

• November 15, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Couldn’t have said it better myself Nikki – Rory couldn’t handle the criticism because she was always praised her whole life. Seems like maybe something similar is happening to her in the revival. Rory’s behaviour in season 5/6 has very little to do with Logan. And people crediting Jess with getting Rory back to Yale are grasping at straws. Yes, he yelled at her, and made her question her decision, but he wasn’t the reason she went back. Logan saw she needed to work things out for herself and gave her the support and space to do that, while also letting her know he thought she should go back. Jess always put Rory up on a pedestal, which is sweet but not realistic. He always saw her as better than him and was disappointed when she made a mistake – but instead of being supportive (like Logan) was angry and disappointed. This is often the pattern these relationships took, so while I appreciate Jess and Rory as good friends, they never have, and never will, work as a couple. Both deserve something real and better suited to them. Rory found that with Logan. Initially, he shook up her life, which was something she sorely needed. Rory was living her life in her books and TV and movies, but not experiencing much on her own (and what she did experience in real life was often with her mother – sweet but not helping her get out of her shell). She experienced life with Logan, and even better, she actually had fun and lost herself for a while before finding herself anew. Jess never ‘got’ her – they liked the same books and that was about it. And that does not equal a great relationship (otherwise I’d be dating someone from my bookclub). Logan challenged yet supported her – two wonderful things in a partner. And she equally made him want to be better himself. I just don’t understand how people don’t see all this!

• September 15, 2016 at 9:59 am

Agree with you Nadine! I also think it would be interesting for Rory to choose someone from the world Lorelai so forcefully pulled her self out of. Through out the show, some of the biggest conflicts between Lorelai and Rory have been situations where has fit so perfectly in the world Lorelai tried to ‘safe’ her and herself from. Yet Rory always has fit in better with her grandparents’ world than Lorelai ever did. So to have Rory end up with Logan would (to me) be the most cohesive ending in regards of the whole show.

Now I am actually mostly team no one, at least I think that was the right choice in season 7, when Rory was still so young. But now she is in her 30’s so it might be ‘the right’ time for her to settle down. To be honest, I don’t really care that much. I’m just happy we get a real ending! And I have such trust in Amy to deliver the kind of ending that we and most of all, the characters deserve!

• September 15, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Rory: First, I’ll be honest, I am not a huge Rory fan. My favorite Gilmore Girl is Lorelei and my second favorite Gilmore Girl is Emily. That being said, I am team nobody. I don’t think any of them are the perfect fit. That being said, if I had to pick one of the three, I agree with Nadine about the appeal of Logan.

Lorelei: I know I am in the minority here, but I really dislike Luke and Lorelei together. Her chemistry is off the charts with Christopher, timing and circumstances have always been their downfall. My ideal would have Christopher and Lorelei together. I am so mad that Season 7 makes that combo an extreme long shot. I really don’t think ASP would have married them. She would have wanted that option open.

• September 15, 2016 at 9:51 pm

My theory/hope is that Rory returns home disallusioned and wanting to settle down – feeling the weight of the loss of Richard and not wanting to miss out on another minute of life. She sees Logan at Richard’s wake. He comforts her – admits he’s been wrecked without her. She confides that she hasn’t truly loved anyone since him. They rekindle and the LDB event/dance number we all know is coming is something elaborate for their engagement party or wedding etc. (though I highly doubt Emily and/or Shira would allow such a short engagement to get to a wedding by the Fall episode!)

• September 16, 2016 at 5:37 am

All I can say is: Please, let it not be Logan.

I can handle her not ending up with Jess, however much I might want him to be endgame, but I do not want her ending up with Logan.

And, yeah, I’m not even mentioning Dean here, because he’s really not likely.

• September 17, 2016 at 3:35 pm

God, I love the show for a lot more than Rory’s love interest but there’s no denying Rory and Jess the my OTP. They’re the whole reason I started watching and although I’m a huge fan of everything about Gilmore Girls I doubt I’ll be able to watch it if they don’t wind up together. I’ll have to read a spoiler before but then not ending up together in the series almost killed me and I can’t do that again.
    Rory and Jess forever! It will hurt if she winds up with Dean but I never minded him so I’ll be so pissed and upset but I’ll deal. But for Logansport I always HATED him and will be so fucking mad if they get together and will definitely not watch it.

• September 19, 2016 at 5:46 pm

I agree with you Nadine on Logan. Besides, Lorelai spent her life trying to get her into that world! You don’t send your kid to Yale expecting them to come back home and settle down with the guy next door. It was always made clear she wanted so much more for Rory. Like Logan or not, it is absolutely the relationship that makes the most sense to end back together. Love your theory CM. TeamLogan.

• September 25, 2016 at 2:52 pm

team Dean. Here is my dream ending. Rory rejects both Jess and Logan and ends up in the supermarket where Deans is working. sparks fly and he offers her a coke (hint hint season 1) suggesting she ends up with him.

• September 26, 2016 at 3:17 pm

I’m team Jess . Or team Logan .. but not team dean he did love her but to me he seemd way to pushy/in need for her for a man to be like and how he treated her when he cheated on his wife was uncalled for

• October 9, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Team Logan! I think he matured a lot in a later episodes. We saw him change from a playboy with a trust fund, who didn’t care about career, to a hard working person in a committed relationship, who walked away from his fathers company to be on his own. So to everyone who says that Logan was the worst Rory’s boyfriend, I want to say I disagree. He might have been bad boyfriend to Rory in the beginning but not in the end. Yes, he made some mistakes but nothing much worse than what Jess did.

• November 15, 2016 at 8:25 pm

He was learning how to be a boyfriend in the beginning – and made mistakes, but the important thing was how he learnt from them.

• November 8, 2016 at 1:28 pm

I am in the process of rewatching GG. It is funny how my perspective is so much different. I was once a Jess fan. Now, I do NOT want them together. He needs to remain the bad guy that she had to get out of her system. I really found myself liking Dean. I didn’t like the cheating on his wife. I still think they need closure. I’m still not sure about Logan. I think they grew up some together but would like to see where they are years later. As for Lorelei… I really like her with Luke. But…. there was always something with Christopher. It’s like Christopher is the one she never really got over. She was always drawn back to him. I look forward to returning to Stars Hollow.

• November 19, 2016 at 10:49 am

I always liked team Dean!! To be fair I didn’t start watching Gilmore girls until I found out that Jared padalecki was in it, (I’m a part of the supernatural fandom). So TEAM DEAN it is!! ;)