Matt Czuchry Says We Will Get “Closure” From Revival

While I’m sad about the upcoming finale of one of my favourite shows, The Good Wife, I’m very happy that we’ll be seeing Matt Czuchry back on Gilmore Girls. While at the Tribeca Film Festival, the cast of The Good Wife have been giving interviews, including one Matt gave with The Hollywood Reporter. Though primarily about The Good Wife, Matt was asked about his return as Logan Huntzberger as well.

Matt, who has read all four Gilmore Girls scripts, calls the whole revival “fantastic”:

“I think fans will love them and most importantly I think they’re going to feel fulfilled and have that closure that they weren’t having before. You’re going to see where the characters have been, you’re going to see where they are now and you’re going to see where they’re going. … That’s been a fun thing to be a part of.”

But, what is closure, really? Is closure having the storylines we want? Let’s be honest, for most fans that’s centred around Rory’s love life. Is closure having Amy & Dan back to give us the ending they had intended? Is closure seeing the future of the characters laid out, but left open?

What do you think?

34 thoughts on “Matt Czuchry Says We Will Get “Closure” From Revival

• April 18, 2016 at 12:13 pm

I think it’s interesting that Matt has read all four scripts considering how tight lipped Amy and Dan have been about the plot. Perhaps Logan has a larger role than we expected?

• April 18, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Please don’t marry him Rory.
    But i’m definitely ok if they get back together by the end of this revival. Logan from season 7 was a champ, and i hope they finally get the chance to do the trip in Asia they wanted to do in season 6.

• April 18, 2016 at 1:05 pm

I really don’t understand everyone’s obsession with closure. I just want the episodes to be good.

• April 18, 2016 at 1:09 pm

I believe that the Palladinos always intended Jess as endgame and am really hoping that is still the case!

• April 18, 2016 at 1:29 pm

I would like to see Logan grown up and mature and happy, but I really don’t want Rory to end up with him. I’d much prefer her to end up with Jess but closure between Logan and Rory would be good.

• April 18, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Is he photoshopped or botoxed???? To be so young this picture makes Hollywood look bad. Team Jess! Who would want to be married into his family? At least Liz and Luke are nice.

• April 18, 2016 at 5:23 pm

I can’t really picture Jess and Rory becoming an item again…. friends? certainly, but not a romantic item…. Think of it this way….. Originally, Jess was supposed to end up in Ca. with his dad on his own show… remember….. one can presume that he would have had some sort of relationship their… so, that being the case… how and why would Amy Sherman-Palladino have ever intended to end the show with Rory and Jess together? I just don’t see it. I haven’t liked Dean since he cheated on his wife… I really don’t care why.. he did it… for me that was it for his character. I’m not claiming to be a “team Logan” either, but I was fairly surprised that Rory turned down Logan’s proposal… for me… it didn’t seem to fit the relationship that we had seen between Rory and Logan when the Palladino’s were at the helm.
    If a wedding does happen… I think that I would be fairly shocked to see said event happening for Rory, but who knows… only the cast. We simple folks will simply have to wait.
    I think that the revival will be fairly interesting and I am greatly looking forward to it.

• April 18, 2016 at 5:51 pm

I have always been a fan of Logan/Rory together. They made a great couple.

Plus, if Luke and Lorelai get married (as many are assuming they will), Rory and Jess will be related so it would be pretty weird for them to be romantically linked…

• April 18, 2016 at 6:34 pm

I sure want closure.
    Hopefully the last 4 words will be “Finally, Logan is dead”.

• April 18, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Even if you don’ t like Logan you can not write such an awful thing .

• April 18, 2016 at 11:59 pm

Closure for me would have nothing to do with who Rory ends up with, if she ends up with any one of the three previous boyfriends. She should be at an age and life stage where she would be making a decision to settle down or to redirect her life professionally. The authentic big romance, what lasted over the entire 7 seasons, was the Luke and Lorelai story. If they are not married as this Revival begins, then a wedding between them cementing their relationship would be the closure so long awaited. I also think that given how much Luke seemed to want children, especially with Lorelai, and how he was slowly developed into such a dedicated family man, it would be a great disappointment if he and Lorelai don’t have children, and having waited so long, missed their biological window to do so. I think his character went through the most growth and transformation of all the characters in the show, and that marriage and full, hands on, personal parenthood was where the story was headed when Season 7 ended.

• April 19, 2016 at 8:20 am

I liked all of Rory’s boyfriend’s. But Logan was my favorite, and he was so
    right for her. I hope they do bring them together in the end, but I’m thinking
    not. But that would make the whole series worth watching, lol

• April 19, 2016 at 8:28 am

I hope Logan and Rory end up as a couple, I loved them together! And as someone else said Jess and Rory will be related via Luke and Lorelai… So hopefully that means it’s Logan and Rory in the end :)

• April 19, 2016 at 9:22 am

I don’t see the problem with L/L getting married and Jess/Rory, honestly. They dated way before L/L got together, and they are not related by blood. Plus, ASP made them kiss when L/L were engaged, so I don’t really think it’s an issue for her.

• April 19, 2016 at 9:54 am

I’m glad he’s back, but I honestly hope he’s not endgame…

• April 19, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Matt Czuchry has the kind of hair that’s just begging for you to run your fingers through it.

• April 19, 2016 at 3:09 pm

I am team logan all the way. He is the best boy friend out of Rory’s ex boy friends. Jess in the worst boy friend ever. Jess is selfish, self centered and inconsiderate. I don’t why any one would want Rory’s to end up with Jess when he kissed Rory’s she quickly stopped him and told him that she is in love with Logan. By the way Luke and Jess mom are from the same mom& dad which means if L/L get married & have kids. Rory’s siblings will be Jess’s cousins & Rory will be Jess’s step cousin. Who say they are not blood related. Out of Rory’s boy friends in only Jess that Rory didn’t have sex with, don’t you think there was a reason why a very smart writer like Amy did that & never let that happened before & after L/L started dating.

• April 19, 2016 at 4:51 pm

endgame! endgame! swoon

• April 19, 2016 at 9:07 pm

even though Jess and Rory would be nice, if Lorelei and Luke end up together, it makes sense that Rory ends up with Logan. From an socio-economic standpoint, Lorelai “settles” for the diner owner Luke and for Rory to settle with a starving artist Jess, it would not make sense.

• April 20, 2016 at 12:07 am

Again, Rory and Jess are not blood related. It’s a simple, biological fact. If they don’t end up together, it won’t be because L/L. ASP just doesn’t care about these kind of things, for god’s sake she made a pair
    of siblings marry another pair on the very first season of the show.

• April 20, 2016 at 4:15 am

Yeah, the ‘they’re related’ argument means nothing. Jess and Rory would be related by marriage only, and there would be nothing taboo about their pairing. Argue all you want about Logan being right for her, but that argument doesn’t hold up to logic.

• April 20, 2016 at 6:42 am

Don’t forget her great grandmother and great father were related. So who knows what the end game will be. I still would like to see her with Dean. I like Dean for Rory

• April 20, 2016 at 7:54 am

Personally, I am and always have been and always will be TEAM JESS! As for Logan, well the thing is, I really, really, really tried to like him. Matt Czuchry makes me want to give Logan another chance but I’ve watched the seasons he’s in several times over and rather than getting better, it just seems to get worse. I find Logan selfish and immature and quite honestly besides the fact that he’s cute, I’ve never understood the appeal of him. But in truth perhaps my biggest problem with Logan wasn’t really his fault because my biggest problem was always the way Rory was with him. In the latter seasons, I found Rory almost insufferable and I really don’t want to see that again. I want to relate to her again, as I did in the earlier in the show. I often struggled to relate to Logan as well. In truth, his only problem was that he needed to grow a pair.

I found his use of the word ‘closure’ interesting as both Lauren and Alexis have alluded that the ending is quite open still. Maybe there is closure to rory and Logan’s story that many felt the didn’t get before? I don’t want them to end up together but I do feel that their relationship does need to be addressed properly in order for them to move on.

• April 20, 2016 at 10:39 am

I still don’t know why anyone will think Jess is good for Rory. Jess is the only one out of three of them that didn’t do any thing special for Rory. He ruined Rory’s first car that poor Dean used his hard earning money & time to build for her, then later worked several at Walmart & got himself a car not at least over that qcar to Rory. Although Rory wouldn’t have taken the car from him bcos she wouldn’t want him to think he’s obligated to get her a car due to what happened. He made Rory missed her prom due to his selfishness to work instead of attending classes despite the fact that he has a very caring uncle that provides for him & want him to be educated. He was rude to everyone his uncle, Lorolai, Emily etc. He never liked to take Rory out and hate to communicate his feelings. He attended to force Rory to have sex without her consent, still people were saying is not attempted rape when someone said it was attempted rape. If a married couple cannot force each other to have sex without both agreeing to do so bcos it is rape then what do you call what Jess did. Some even said it was bcos he was in high school & young. Pls that is not an excuse. Jess doesn’t have a shoulder for Rory to lean on. Logan has proved himself several times during ups & downs that they went through. Rory put lots of effort into Logan from asking him out & turning him to a real man. By the way Rory got the Barack Obama campaign job through the guy that Logan introduced her to during his pre-launch party bcos Rory writes on for the guy. That was why Lorolai to Emily that Rory got the job through a guy she writes on line for. Although, is not about connection & money alone, Logan was there for Rory when her grandfather was sick. Jess cannot give or handle the kind of carrier success Rory want.

• April 20, 2016 at 12:28 pm

My understanding is that Lauren and Rory saying the ending was wide open was in direct reference to the “final four words.” They are the only two actors that know it and it is not written in the script, as per ASP.

• April 21, 2016 at 12:45 am

I too thought MC talking about “closure” was peculiar. We haven’t heard any of the other actors use that word. So it is definitely interesting.

But truth is, it’s hard to read anything in what the actors say because obviously they can’t give anything away, and have to be as vague as they can. Was he talking from a general point of view or about R/L, who knows. I do think R/L deserve closure if that’s the case, though.

• April 21, 2016 at 8:05 am

To NK above,

I’m sorry but your argument is based on seventeen year old Jess. Yes, as a teenager he made alot mistakes but he grew up. You are completely wrong about him not being a shoulder for her. He may not have always been there when she wanted him but he was when she needed him. He got Rory to realise what a mistake she was making leaving Yale and fighting with her Mom. Logan just sat back and let her ruin her life. Yes, Logan did mature, eventually, I realise that but you have to apprieciate that Jess did too. And while it was a good thing for Logan to be there for Rory when her Grandfather was sick, well frankly, he WAS her boyfriend at the time, what else would he have done? I’m not sure I’m going to give him points for doing something he should have been doing all along. Doesn’t really make up for the cheating either.
    For me, Jess and Rory, always had the most in common but still had their differences. A love of books, music and films, raised by single women and they both had Luke as one of, if not the main male influence in their lives. Jess would be perfectly capable of handling Rory’s career choices and her successes. He’s not like Dean. Hopefully, if they’ve both kept on the paths we last saw them, they’ll both still be writing. I think he would get her career much more so than Logan because truthfully I don’t think he ever saw how much it meant to her. Introducing her to connections he had is not really the same as being supportive. Huntzburgers don’t marry career women. And while Logan may have said he was fine with what Rory wanted he also said he liked his life in high society. And in addition, her career would always be second to his. When you’re running a multi-million dollar company and responsible for many people’s livelihoods, its only reasonable that your work come first, Rory’s couldn’t compete with that. He’d already started to priorities his career by planning where they would live and finding a house without even asking her first, it was sweet but also controlling. She’d work too hard to be Mrs Huntzburger and ultimately, if she had wanted that, she would have said yes to his proposal. Again, it might just be me but I always felt that Jess and Rory were the best balanced. In the end, he was more ambitious than Dean but much more grounded than Logan. Timing was their issue. When one finally got his sh*t together, the other was a mess. Hopefully, their now both on the right path.

The word ‘closure’ from MC does make me think though, as Lauren and Alexis have suggested its quite open ended. I might be wrong but I’m going to take this as referring to Rory and Logan. It would be wrong if their relationship wasn’t addressed and their fans, if no-one else, deserve a proper goodbye but I just can’t see Rory ending up with him. The GG liked to fight for things and I’ve always thought that life as Mrs Huntzburger would be too easy. Who knows, maybe Rory will stay single anyway?

• April 21, 2016 at 8:09 am

Sorry, just realised I’ve put ‘their’ instead of ‘they’re” above. Its nothing but it will bug me. Lol. I’m not sure how to edit posts.

• April 21, 2016 at 9:13 am

Seems IMO the best Logan/Rory closure is that in the last decade Logan has moved on and married someone else but he and Rory have collaborated as friends on different media projects of mutual interest. That too could explain Herr Mitchem’s continuing participation in their storyline.

• April 21, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Well you’re doing the same thing arguing about what happened seven years again. Rory didn’t go back to Yale bcos of what Jess said, if left to Jess Rory would have left Yale during the first semester that he said Rory should run away with him. Rory has always has mind of her own, smart, and intelligent her & grandparents always say this and proud of her. Don’t give Jess a pass for showing up three times and appears to have changed and said what he said about Rory liking school. Rory deserves better. I will rather see her single than end up with Jess, who left her bcos she decided not to run away with him and not ruin her life with a guy that didn’t know where he was heading in life. Jess just showed up again, after he has been out of her life & not communicate with her for long time & think he can come back into her life as her boyfrien. Does he expect Rory to put her dating life on hold bcos of him. Am glad he went to find himself & hope he has not gone back to his old ways. Jess &Rory should just be friends as far as am concerned Jess chapter is closed when Rory when to Philadelphia & quickly stopped kissing and let him know she loves Logan. As usual to show how he little he knows about Rory, he asked why did she come then. Well you invited her by mailing invitation to Logan’s apt. to cause another right but Logan wasn’t home. When he invited her she came he automatically thinks she was there to rectangle her love with him & He didn’t cheat on Rory, he thought they broke up that was the reason why he did that. Just as usual Jess was the one that caused the fight just like he did with dean. I guess breaking up Rory & who ever she may be with is what Jess will never changed from and if you said Logan should married by now, then Jess should be married too. Rory can continue to be single, happy with a successful career or with someone new. Gilmoregirls deserve better. Am not worry about L/L bcos look is a good guy. Jess doesn’t really know Rory well enough and too shady. As long as Gilmore girls are happy that’s what matters.

• April 21, 2016 at 11:43 pm

I think that if Rory is ever going to be happy I again I’m thinking that she needs to be with Logan then she will be happy again bc she said that she is letting herself feel plenty sad.So I think she will be super happy with Logan like she use to be Logan is so right for her if she needed him he would be there or fly to her or drive to her when she wanted or needed him Logan was always so great to her and for her

• April 28, 2016 at 9:53 pm

I completely agree with NK. Jess always ruined Rory’s life and relationships by coming in between Rory+Dean and Rory+Logan, asking Rory to elope in her freshman year at Yale and forcing Rory to have sex with him. For all we know Jess might have been successful in his attempt and left Rory pregnant. Logan is very sensitive about Rory and cares for Rory and her near and dear one’s. Jess has no manners and even ill treated Emily.

• July 21, 2016 at 9:16 pm

My opinion on this whole matter is that Dean is out of the way as most of us know because he’s only doing one scene for the revival episodes. So with Logan vs Jess, I can agree Jess started out as a smoking hot interesting guy, but he was definitely a prick. He got shipped off to a small town without his consent, an already reckless 17 year old with a mother that didn’t want to deal with him and a father that ran out of his life. He was harsh on Rory sometimes but I think that helped her in the end. He was flighty, but he was crazy about her and respected her as her own person. With Logan I don’t have much to say not because I didn’t like him but honestly I just didn’t see any chemistry between them. They seemed more to me as friends and Logan was pretty bland. I feel like they would get bored of each other. I just didn’t trust Logan and the way he grew up with that cold hearted family of his couldn’t have helped. I felt like he couldn’t handle Rory’s nervous break downs and instead would chasticize her for having them. Logan was an okay guy, but I felt he needed to explore the world behind the comfort of his wealth. Jess worked on himself and grew up to be a great guy.

• September 22, 2016 at 12:42 pm

David Satcliffe read all 4 scripts too yet he only appears in the fall episode. Unless matt flat out says he is in all 4 I will assume he is only in 2