Melissa McCarthy Shares the “Strange” Situation That Led to Her Exclusion

Last night, Gilmore Girls’ Melissa McCarthy stepped out for the premiere of her latest movie, The Boss. Melissa has been a notable exception to the list of confirmed returning Gilmore Girls actors for the 4-part revival on Netflix, Gilmore Girls: Seasons. With Sookie being one of the main characters in the series, this has left many fans (myself included) quite sad.

In the press tour for her new movie, The Boss, Melissa has been breaking the silence on her exclusion from Gilmore Girls.

Not long after the news broke, Melissa said she was not invited, though Amy Sherman-Palladino had previously expressed interest in having her for even a short role. Recently, Melissa shared that she was not asked to do it, with there being an assumption that she was busy. In an interview for Refinery29 this week, Melissa expands on that. When asked if an appearance on Gilmore Girls would happen, Melissa answered:

It’s not. They didn’t ask. And once this came out, because people were starting to say, ‘Oh, you won’t do it. You’re too big and busy now.’ I was like, ‘No. No one invited me to the party. I didn’t get a single call.’ And then after that, it was kind of, ‘Well, she’d like to do it, you guys can call us.’ I have to call and ask? And now I can’t make it happen. I thought it was the strangest thing. I am really proud of that show. I can’t wait for my kids to see it.

It is definitely a miscommunication here, made worse when the onus was left to Melissa to ask to be back on the series. It sounds like she would have liked an invitation, what do you think?

We miss you Melissa!

17 thoughts on “Melissa McCarthy Shares the “Strange” Situation That Led to Her Exclusion

• March 29, 2016 at 9:31 am

This makes me so sad! How can there be a Gilmore Girls and a Dragonfly Inn without Sookie? She will truly be missed.

• March 29, 2016 at 11:28 am

Sounds like a bunch of grown kids going back and forth. It’s a shame they can’t all think of the fans and make it happen for them instead of playing these games.

• March 29, 2016 at 11:30 am

I am sad that Sookie will not be on it. What terrible case of miscommunication!

• March 29, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Please! Amy S-P, please ask Melissa. Now! And Melissa, please, please agree! Can we somehow still make this work?! Please!

• March 29, 2016 at 2:36 pm

I have a feeling Amy SP talked to Melissa’s “people” and they didn’t tell her. It’s rather sad. I hope they write her in as being in France for a year for being a chef and still married to Jackson.

• March 29, 2016 at 4:42 pm

Sookie will be missed,for sure…. Apologies should be made to someone who truly sounds hurt over the situation.

• March 29, 2016 at 6:01 pm

Make this work Netlfix, WB and ASP!

• March 29, 2016 at 11:05 pm

I get why Melissa is hurt, and leaving her out was a ridiculously stupid thing to do on ASP’s part, BUT, let’s put the fans first. I love Melissa, in fact I’m obsessed with her! I’m a huge GG fan mostly because of Sookie and while I am super excited to see the revival, I can’t watch it without Sookie. And I’m guessing I’m not the only one. Melissa, please reconsider. This show was your first consistent work as an actor and 7 years of your life. And if we, your fans didn’t love you so much we wouldn’t be begging you to come back.

• March 30, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Lies. lol

Melissa McCarthy’s name is bankable. Do you really think ASP and Netflix wouldn’t have done anything possible to get her in the show?
    Her name alone would’ve attracted tons of new viewers. The problem is Melissa’s team asking too much money and probably Melissa’s booked schedule.

There’s no miscommunication. I don’t question Melissa’s love for the show, it’s obvious she wants to do it. But stop making her look like a saint in all of this, it’s bigger than a simple miscommunication, the people working at Netflix are not incapable to the point of letting this kind of miscommunication happen, a lot of things are at stake here.

• March 30, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Maybe a replacement Sookie? I KNOW IT WONT BE THE SAME BUT IT WONT BE THE SAME WITHOUT A SOOKIE!!!!!!

• March 31, 2016 at 4:47 am

Wish they’d work it out. I adore MM and, yes, she’d bring new viewers to the show that could potentially boost sales for DVDs of the original show. But IMHO the show will be worth watching without her. So many questions I’d love to see answered that had nothing to do with Sookie. Sookie was more about (absolutely fantastic) comic relief, and about allowing Lorelei to reveal what was on her mind.

• March 31, 2016 at 2:16 pm

As big as MM has become in the last decade, let’s not forget that the Gilmore alum who has been in the largest blockbuster movie since the closing of the series was Sean Gunn in “Guardians …….” and that did not stop him from finding time and gratitude to come back to SH and kick it with some old friends.

• March 31, 2016 at 3:54 pm

This makes me so SMAD!!!

• March 31, 2016 at 4:34 pm

If Melissa doesn’t come back, I can see Alex Borstein taking on her role as Sookie. It was supposed to be hers anyway, but contractually she couldn’t get out of her then current show MadTV I think. It actually pulls it all full circle, with Alex (who is Jackson’s real life wife) back to play her originally planned role.

Unfortunately, Alex wasn’t as beloved a character as Drella the harpist so not a great call for anyone involved. Methinks Melissa is crying foul to save face w/fans but she really didn’t/couldn’t do it. Just my opinion of course!

• April 1, 2016 at 6:07 pm

If I had to guess how this messy situation played out I’d say that the producers and Netflix had negotiations with Lauren, Alexis, Kelly and Scott (the show’s four key characters) and after those were finalized they contacted Melissa and the rest of the supporting ensemble. She may feel because of her new status and because Sookie was a main character they should have contacted her earlier than they did everyone else. However, I still feel that if she had solid professional relationships with Lauren and Amy she’d be making as appearance.

Finally, comparing McCarthy’s career with Sean Gunn is kinda silly. She’s a genuine star. Gunn simply had a part in a popular movie and not a particular stand-out part, and it hardly equated to skyrocketing his career.

• April 1, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Kinda silly, sure, but just pointing out the obvious: most of those on Gilmore went on to solid careers after the fact, probably could have begged out due to scheduling conflicts on other projects or the need for time off, and [with the exception of the principals who will still have extreme workloads to carry] were probably willing to do this project at a discount to their normal book for the chance to correctly close out characters they enjoyed playing and have some fun with old friends. [Every project doesn’t have to be just about the money.] Then of course there are all the interviews over the years saying they would love to participate if a reboot occured so nobody wants to be the outlier who goes back on their word.

• April 2, 2016 at 12:16 am

However Sean’s brother, James Gunn directed the Guardians of the Galaxy, so it’s a “family business”.