Milo Ventimiglia Says Jess There to Push Someone Forward

Milo Ventimiglia is revising his role of Jess Mariano in the Gilmore Girls revival, Gilmore Girls: Seasons, and began filming his first episodes last week. In an interview at Wizard World Comic Con, Milo reveals some spoilers about his character. You can see the full transcript of his interview below the video, revealing some BIG clues about what Jess may be up to.

“I had my first day of filming on Tuesday this week, back at Warner Brothers, which is a lot of fun. Kind of the studio that raised me. And Jess is just up to Jess sh*t. He’s Jess. He’s a little salty and ornery and kind of doing his own thing and has zero tolerance for anything. Or anyone.

But he’s also there to, kind of, push the ball forward for some folks in Stars Hollow, which is something that Jess has always done, whether intentionally, maliciously or positively; he’s always sent people in a direction.”

We discussed last week what it could mean that Milo has confirmed he’ll be in 3 episodes, starting with the first episode, which has huge implications for #TeamJess. Possibly complicating that, now, is Milo’s own statement above that he will be “pushing a ball forward,” which seems to imply he’s pushing others (Rory?), not necessarily involving himself in the process. It has been true in the past that he has been the one to get Rory to be her own person and find her own path in life, but what this means for #TeamJess… ?

15 thoughts on “Milo Ventimiglia Says Jess There to Push Someone Forward

• February 23, 2016 at 9:09 am

As you’ve said – it sounds as though his role is similar to the one he had in “Let Me Hear Your Balalaikas Ringing Out” when he turned up and eventually confronted Rory on the matter of dropping out of Yale (and her life plans). Maybe he’s talking about Rory again, maybe it’s Luke this time and maybe both (or perhaps pushing someone he’s previously had less to do with, like Lorelai).

I think it’s bad news for #TeamJess (of which I’m more of a member than #TeamDean or #TeamLogan). Although, how bad depends on whether he’s talking about just his first day of filming or the whole three episodes. If the former, then it rules nothing out, and if the latter, well it suggests he’s probably not part of moving forward with Rory’s life (or anyone else’s).

• February 23, 2016 at 10:04 am

Yes, it’s amazing how much we can guess just from his short little statements!! I agree it doesn’t bode well for #TeamJess (of which I am a member)

• February 23, 2016 at 10:15 am

Why doesn’t it bode well for team Jess? I don’t think that it suggests that he’s not a part of ‘the moving forward’ at all – for all we know he’s pushing Rory into commiting to a relationship with him. There are many ways to interpret what he said. Jess always stirs things up and I’ve always loved him for it. He’s in three episodes, he’s there to do more than just yell at someone. Personally, I initially thought it was something to do with Luke and Lorelai but whos to say who get involved with others along the way? The laughable fact is, we can read as much into it as we want to but he actually didn’t give anything away.

• February 23, 2016 at 12:57 pm

First I gotta say that I really like Milo’s cryptic way of announcing things, seems to give us lots of clues or none of them at the same time. Very Jess of you, Milo.

I’m #TeamJess so I’m both amused and confused. Jess being there and pushing the ball forward for someone leaves a door open for a lot of hypotheses…

He might appear in stars hollow to help his family, Luke probably, and just passing in Rory’s place for remember the old times and talk about books. In other hand, his presence could be related to Richard’s death and how Rory is dealing with his passing away. She could be in a bad moment and questioning herself (maybe she’s not really satisfied with her career?) and then Jess surprises her by just being there and then helping her =)

Even sounding bad for #TeamJess I tend not to be too pessimist and hope that might be something related to Rory considering their situation at 6.18 and what could be of him if Amy and Daniel were in charge of season 7. Anyway I’d love to see him and Lorelai getting along or seeing him in the last episode (even being too skeptical of Rory with one of her old guys, but at the bottom of my heart I still have high hopes haha)

These are just suppositions although I find hard that Jess would not be involved, in some way, in Rory’s life on “gg: seasons”

• February 23, 2016 at 1:59 pm

I too felt that this smells a bit stinky to #teamJess. Especially coming after Gregg Henry confirmed his appearance on the revival (that’s the actor who played Logan’s dad) while Liz isn’t going to be there. Three episodes seem to be a lot for a character that’s only there to move and push but my gut’s in knots here. I got a bad feeling. And I seriously can’t believe there could be another way for the show reboot to end other than Jess/Rory (ASP would not be wise to do so. #TeamJess always takes the lead in polls, even amongst the GG cast).

• February 23, 2016 at 2:00 pm

I also think Milo just saying that “Jess is there to move the ball forward for someone” doesn’t mean that is ALL Jess is in Stars Hollow for or that that’s ALL he does while in Stars Hollow. He could just be referring to his plot in “Winter” or to whatever initially brings him to Stars Hollow. Furthermore, the times when Jess has moved the ball forward for Rory (like in encouraging her to go back to Yale) – these plots did not last multiple episodes or even an entire episode and here we are dealing with three 90 minute episodes worth of plot. Now obviously, whatever storyline Jess’ character goes through in the revival doesn’t have to stretch the whole 90 minutes or anything – but it will have to stretch for 3 episodes – so I’m hesitant to accept “moving the ball forward for someone” to be Jess’ ONLY role for the entire revival.

• February 23, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Logan’s dad could totally just be there for Richard’s funeral, which could also explain Logan and Finn being there as well. Maybe even Dean, too. Jess’s mom wasn’t as integral to the storyline as the Huntzbergers were – it was always about the Luke/Jess dynamic – so the omission of Liz is totally fine. Hey, just rationalizing for my Literati heart :)

• February 23, 2016 at 2:51 pm

I’m not sure about this. I agree, it kind of hints at him perhaps simply helping Rory in some way, rather than actually being with her. I don’t know, I’m still keeping my fingers crossed as I’m #TeamJess and would be over the moon if he and Rory ended up together.

I also agree though that the return of not only Mitchum, but some of the Life and Death Brigade too, worries me a little that she’s going to end up with Logan. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate the guy, but I just don’t think he’s the one Rory should end up with.

#TeamJess

• February 23, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Truth be told, I’m not too bothered about Gregg Henry returning, I got the impression that it wouldn’t be much more than a cameo appearence. I hope its more career related than anything else. He is an actor that ASP seems to like as she also cast him in Bunheads. But I wouldn’t read to much into what Milo said – he’s in 3 episodes he’s not just there to give someone a wake up call. Milo basically said, Jess is there being Jess. Another way to interpret what he said would be making trouble. Lol. As far as Liz not being there goes, well Jess has Luke, whom he was closer too anyway, also April and if Luke and Lorelai have had any little ones, they would be his cousins too. Though speaking of Liz, I do find it interesting that she won’t be in it, given the number of characters, however minor, that are coming back. She’s not just Jess’ mother, she’s Luke sister, so not to see her at all in an entire year tells me that something has happened there. She’s either moved away somewhere – or something else has happened. Given how much time has passed, there has to have been some other drama. Could she have been killed off?
    Its all just guess work at this point.
    #TeamJess

• February 23, 2016 at 3:32 pm

I’m #TeamLogan and I didn’t read into Milo’s comments as being stinky for Jess shippers. It sounds more like he’s there to help Luke get back with Lorelai? And if he -is- there propelling Rory in the right direction that doesn’t mean that it’s not a romantic direction? Maybe it’s a push for Rory to realize Jess is the right guy for her (according to Jess)? And also I’m not sure that Mitchum being there is a good thing for #TeamLogan. He said he has more notes to give Rory so it sounds more in a professional aspect than personal? Although with Mitchum it all seems personal. Am I missing something? Or am I not reading Milo’s comments deeply enough? With that said…. obligatory #RoganOTP

• February 23, 2016 at 3:57 pm

I completely agree. I don’t think Milo’s comments mean bad things for #TeamJess either. I think what he said is implying a small portion of his purpose in the revival, not who he will be in all three episodes. I don’t think him “pushing the ball forward” has anything to do with Rory. I think it has to do with Luke and Lorelai. Maybe Luke is still afraid of commitment and hasn’t taken the leap with Lorelai yet and Jess is there to “push” him to do so. Also, I can’t imagine that Jess would be back for three episodes and not make amends with Rory. Even if they don’t end up together (which would be heartbreaking I might add lol) I think there will be some much needed closure for their relationship in gg:seasons.

• February 23, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Hopefully good news for Rory and Logan!?!? The spoilers make the waiting worse because I’m so afraid the show will be written differently than intended to keep fans from pegging the storyline before it airs (or written to what fans seem to be “voting” for). Rory already chose Logan over Jess – I just want her to reaffirm that thought!!!

• February 23, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Another #teamlogan girl here, who happens to also crush hard for Milo, the man. While I agree that his words were very vague, I did not think that it necessarily spelled doom for #teamjess. What surprises me in all this talk of which guy Rory should end up with is that no one mentions that if Luke and Lorelei are married, that Rory and Jess would be related, and how does that factor into the likelihood of them getting back together. I mean, I know the cliche goes “kissing cousins” and the like, but in Stars Hollow, how would that pan out? Another question I have (not sure if people have the answer to this) – did Alexis and Milo ended their real life relationship on good terms? I wonder if their history influences the direction ASP/DP will take with Rory.

• February 23, 2016 at 7:57 pm

I agree with Catherine, he’ll be in three episodes so he’s not there only to make people move forward. I liked the idea of Liz not being there results in another drama. How a more matured Jess will deal with it? Is he helping Luke with Lorelai (or maybe he’s helping Lorelai )? And then that might lead to Rory?
    The fact of Mitchum being on the revival actually reveals that Rory might be surprised by one of his notes (not positively). Don’t know why I think Rory is not truly satisfied with her career…
    Logan is a popular guy and many of his plot during seasons 5/6 involved his bros from the Life and Death Brigade, so it seems logical that Logan’s friends would occasionally pop up I don’t Rory would be with him on the revival just because of that fact.
    However, in an interview with Ausiello, Milo said that Jess now is a “pretty decent guy” but, according to the video he still salty and cynic so I’m curious about the “new Jess”, mature and sarcastic at the same time? Sounds interesting…

And yes, about Milo and Alexis relationship, they ended up in good terms…

#TeamJess

• February 24, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Ha I’m not the only one who thinks Liz might be dead, since the actress said it was a definite no from the producers meanwhile people with no storylines ever previously and new random people are going to be on, just seems strange Luke’s sister/Jess’s mom would be a non-factor. Jess and Luke could have a whole host of issues about that. My theory is that Luke and Lorelai keep running into some obstacle every time they try to get married in the last nine years (the latest probably being Richard’s death) and feel they’re jinxed or something, and Jess is like oh my god there’s no such thing, get it together. He could be supporting April’s storyline too, I just saw some rumor/spec that she could be a lesbian? And Rory’s relationship with Paul seems stagnant and going nowhere and Jess may call her out on it. I honestly hope he’s not pining for Rory or fighting some other guy for her affection, because that’s so been there done that and not a good look in your thirties.