A couple of years ago, my co-writer here at GilmoreNews shared with you the revelation of an unaired Gilmore Girls pilot, one shot with a draft of Amy Sherman-Palladino’s Gilmore Girls script and with a few casting differences. At the time, we only had access to the script, but the pilot video itself has been found, as you can see below!
Some of the glaring differences between the two pilots are:
- Dean is different! Dean was originally cast as Nathan Wetherington, not Jared Padalecki. Big difference.
- Sookie is different! Sookie was originally played by Alex Borstein, but was later replaced by Melissa McCarthy due to scheduling issues. Alex came back as both Drella the harpist and Mess Celine.
- Luke’s is called Duke’s Cup
- Lorelai is more polished and less approachable. More professional and less ‘your friend’
- A number of minute references and backstories were changed
- There are more scenes in the unaired pilot. 10 minutes more.