What We Know About the New Gilmore Girls Show

It has been two weeks since the Big Announcement that Gilmore Girls is coming back and in that time, news has been as fleeting as it has been tantalising.  Here’s a round-up.

Prodigal Donuts

Michael Ausiello at TVLine was first to announce that the new episodes would consist of four 90-minute movies, penned and directed by the creator and executive producers of the show, wife and husband Amy Sherman-Palladino and Dan Palladino. Each of the four movies will feature one season, together forming a year. No word yet on whether these will be released in real-time over a year or in one wonderful 360-minute experience. Anyone else planning a day off?

Ausiello also reports that rather wisely, the pitch did not include picking up where the show left off (if for no other reason than to avoid Miss Patty explaining some frightening weight loss) but will bring us to the present day – eight years after Rory graduated. And that Rory’s ‘major suitors’ would make an appearance. I think there are certain beats that everybody expects and seeing Dean, Jess and Logan – in whatever capacity – would appear on most people’s checklists.

There was an editorial from the New York Times alluding to similar thoughts we had after the initial announcement, that time has inevitably passed and attitudes and people have moved on since 2007. I can’t wait to see how the Palladinos bring us up to date.  I’m still doing the Snoopy happy dance.

TVLine also reported that negotiations with the principal cast were said to be underway and the outpouring of tangible positivity on the interwebs must surely be helping to get those final signatures in place and everybody on board.

Finally, E! Online have a lovely interview with an impressively upbeat Vanessa Marano (April Nardini) about her inner Gilmore Geek.

Vanessa: I really hope they’re bringing my character back because I’m such a fan of the Gilmore Girls that… I just want to be able to nerd out more.

Do you have little room in your heart for some April in, say, Spring?
What are your thoughts on a release schedule for the four chapters?  Would you rather a drip feed that lasts a year?  Or one glorious 6-hour binge?
What order do you think the seasons will come in?  The winter episode is particularly exciting for me because, y’know… snow.
Could you do without Jess or Logan or Dean in the new show?
Would you rather the show picked up exactly where the old one left off, with Logan in a huff and Rory headed for the ObamaBus?

Would you rather have eight 45-minute episodes (like the regular show) than the four 90-minute movies?
And for the trivia geeks out there, why is Lorelai pilfering donuts in the picture above and how many does she take?

Donut pic c/o TheWB. Man I could murder a donut right now…

Rich

Rich originally began contributing to GIlmore News as 'Dairyman' in 2013, a reference to the character Dairyman Dick in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (call me Rich). Here in the UK we were late to the Gilmore party and I don't remember what made me watch my first episode - the one where Lorelai picks Rory up from the police station after she and Logan steal a yacht - but I remember watching it again immediately. And then again. Thankfully, the next show was on the next day and I watched that one three times too. And then the boat one again. I couldn't believe the dialogue was so quick and so funny and I pretended to myself that I was only watching it so I could figure out who I was more keen on - the mom or the daughter. I swore that Aaron Sorkin must have been involved but I couldn't find his name attached anywhere, even on the internet. So I watched and loved and laughed and cried and the day after the series finale, they ran the entire show from the beginning again and Rory turned into a baby so then I was all about Lorelai. Lauren Graham is astonishing ("Mother: Breathtaking") and the show was - and is - lightning in a bottle. It's a treasure for those who watch and get swept up in it, like I did and like the readers of Gilmore News. It's heartbreak and chicken soup, family dysfunction and blind optimism, lighthearted romanticism and balls-out brilliant. Thanks to Arieanna and gilmorenews.com for letting me squat and allowing my inner Gilmore Geek out for air. I worry how it would otherwise manifest.

25 thoughts on “What We Know About the New Gilmore Girls Show

• November 3, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Rory had just come back after their fight.

• November 4, 2015 at 1:07 pm

April, yes, I hope Vanessa Marano will be back… She’s a nice actress, and she can have a part that fans could love, for, eight years has passed for her too…
    I’d rather have 4 times 90 than 360 at the same time… Just that the pleasure last as long as possible, as if days had the faculties to transform those four into pluses :) Hopefully they will come out on DVDs, so that I can watch them… So, I will have already many hints of what had happened.
    I guess that some stars that used to date Rory will be back on the show… Yet, I’m not against to see a new comer in relation with a Rory that have grown so much in eight years. But it’s easy to guess who, most of the fans, particularly women, want as a date for Rory at this stage of her life.
    In some ways, I’m more related to Rory than any other characters in the series, for, my Master degree is in English language, and I have a degree in Journalism… Never practiced though, but have read a lot, among them, many of the books she read. Though not all of them… So, it’ll be as seeing a great friend that I missed so much, wanting to know everything about her, and of course, about Lorelai, Luck, Emily :)
    But, the experience is not a one way experiment, meeting Rory again, learning things about her life, then, that all…. No, fans would understand that such a good series as Gilmore Girls is like reading
    its one book, written in the pages of days .
    While asking questions about Rory, or getting surprising answers, it’s also like asking questions about our own life, what we have done all this years? And that is an interesting question, and we may be surprised by all the answers we get. So, in a certain way that make Rory become real, for, she helps to ask ourselves some important questions, and finding an answer is almost as communicating with her. And a good answer is always a gift for life…

• November 5, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Just wondering how Amy will start this thing off. She’ll obviously want to pay tribute to Ed Herrmann (and his wonderful portrayal of papa Gilmore). It could begin with Richard’s funeral – kind of heavy to start with, but a natural reason to bring Rory (and possibly others) back to town.

• November 6, 2015 at 7:13 am

Thanks Rich! I have seen every episode maybe hundreds of times. :)

• November 6, 2015 at 2:02 pm

I really think dean and rory should get back together an married possibly or just together after all for good. He was always the best for her and they were in true love no matter how much time apart they had between. Him and rory and Lorelei are the main reasons I watche the show( sad lol). I thought they were the best fit and had most chemistry Just my input.

• November 7, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Yes, Sarah… Dean would be great for Rory… I think he’s now more mature know. He knows himself better, so that he wouldn’t make the same mistakes… would know how to fight for her and to keep her for ever in endless happiness :)

• November 8, 2015 at 9:10 pm

A quick question about the new website setup. Did we lose the ability to go back and look at a search by date of all the previous posts?? If so that makes it almost impossible to look at the full 10 year or so library which is one of the previous strengths of the site–

• November 9, 2015 at 12:40 pm

No, I just haven’t enabled the widget. The site design is still VERY much under construction. Do you like to search by date? The “search” still works, of course!

• November 9, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Hi Arieanna-

Thanks for activating the search by date function. Having posted on the site for a fair number of years, I kind of know about when certain items showed up and this is the most efficient way for me to relocate and see what was discussed. Thanks again–

• November 9, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Anytime! I will be adding more, I just need to clean up some of the old summary pages & redo the category structure. Once I have things settled organizationally, I’ll be working on some fun ways to feature content on the home page.

• November 11, 2015 at 5:07 pm

The inevitable question, “What should be in the New Gilmore Movie/Episodes?”. Figured I would toss in my two cents. With the passage of what will be nine full years from the last show episode completion to the opening of the new episodes a couple of things are obvious. Too many changes have occurred with the actors to simply finish the last half season of the original story with ASP in charge. So how to proceed with a nod to the future that is current with the times—

I see an opening scene with Luke and Lorelai frantically driving to Rory’s new house in upstate NY in the middle of this year’s Thanksgiving snowstorm. Then a quick glance to the back seat with Lorelai commenting “She can sleep through anything, just like Rory!” [Check off box #1 – Lorelai and Luke are married with a young daughter.] Arriving at the door they are greeted by Emily who is helping Rory finish getting the feast in place. Seeing her second granddaughter a small tear trickles down Emily’s face and she exclaims “She’s got Richard’s nose and your big head.”[Check off boxes #2 and #3 – The nod to her missing dance partner and the first zinger of an eventful family dinner.”] A quick commentary with Rory sets the evenings guest list to come, Paris/Doyle and their kids, Lane/Zack and their kids, and of course “he’” who has not yet been named. In short order everyone has arrived except the man of the hour who is still slugging his way home in the snowstorm. As we see Rory setting the table we notice just how much mother and daughter are alike as Rory is expecting her first child [Check off box #4 as art imitates life].

Finally as the snowstorm reaches its zenith, a car arrives and Rory’s husband [unrecognizably coverd with snow] makes his way up the walk. A quick greeting and peck on the cheek, and with the removal of the winter ware we see that in fact snow is a permanent fixture in his hair [Don’t check of box #5 as this is neither Dean, Jess, or Logan. Three quarters of the audience now indignantly stands up and throw their wine coolers at the viewing screen. Oh well, can’t win them all!!].

Then after a quick mocktail for Rory and her guests everyone heads into the dinner table. As the dinner gets under way we then get treated to the usual dinner table theatrics interspersed with flashbacks to the relevant important events of the last nine years. The first hour covering the Obama campaign bus trek for Rory, how Luke and Lorelai started working to get back together, relevant changes in the SH population, and what’s going on with the grandparents and closest friends. The next two hours cover Rory’s new reporting challenges after the campaign trail was finished, Lorelai and Luke’s secret wedding, what transpired to shake up the SH hierarchy, and the burgeoning growth and accomplishments within their friend’s families. The last three hours then cover the last four years as imagined by the Palladino magic telling us what has happened and where the Gilmore’s will be heading into the future. And of course the last epilogue closes with the famous four last words.

• November 13, 2015 at 12:56 am

Danielle – I’d prefer the 4 episodes spread out over a year too – although I doubt it’ll happen that way. And I also agree with a new beau, it’d be more realistic. Lastly I haven’t found many people who found their dream job but that’s because most people don’t know what they really want.

Regis, great minds think alike.

Sarah & Gilmore_Girls_F, I do wonder if by choosing from Dean, Jess or Logan at this point, Amy would alienate fans of the other two. Would this be worse than casting the right new guy and alienating all the fans?!

Mcityrk – you really ought to be writing your own series… did you already know AB might be / is pregnant when you wrote this?

• November 13, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Hi Rich-

Nope, had no idea until I saw your recent posting, although the timing in real life if it is true seems pretty logical. Best wishes to both parents as they take up their new challange and joy.

As to me writing, I am more than happy to let the pros finish this book!!

• November 17, 2015 at 6:31 am

Jess and Rory forever. He is the only one that keeps coming back even towards the end of the show! That is a sign and he has matured so much by now..they were setting him up to be the one and yet the last season just ripped my heart out of my chest. If we don’t get wedding flashbacks and or a wedding with Luke and Lorelei I will also lose it. Christopher better not still be trying to get with Lorelei

• November 17, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Ha! I wonder if Christopher’s daughter Gigi blossomed into a nice shy little girl…

• November 27, 2015 at 1:16 am

I would love to see Rory and Jess as a couple . I believe he would matured they were perfect for each please no jerk like Logan. See the other town folk like miss patty babette , Sookie cannot wait

• December 3, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Just have been acquainted with the Gilmore Girls and fast became addicted. So glad that I will be able to have a proper closure to the saga of these wonderful ladies and their beaus. I, too, believe Rory and Jess are proper soulmates. He needed to find his niche and grow as a person, but he and Rory were equals on the intellectual plane. Jess’s intelligence was overshadowed by his bad-boy persona. He loves Rory and I believe she loves him, but is afraid.
    I purchased the entire 153 episodes and spent 1 week watching them in their entirety. I watched and fell in love with the witty dialogue and the ever present angst that cursed the love lives of the Gilmore girls. My heart was stolen by Scott Patterson as Luke Danes. I have dreams of a real life encounter with this complex hunk of a man. I look forward to the final episodes. This was a great American novel which I read(viewed) daily with eager anticipation. Thanks to all
    involved.

• December 4, 2015 at 2:17 am

Hi Deb and Stephanie! Thank you both for visiting our little corner of the world. Deb, don’t forget Burt ;O) And Stephanie, what a journey. That first time is just something else ain’t it? Are you planning a second run-through? There’s so much content (especially with binge-watching) that the second time can feel like extra content.

Thanks again to all our commenters – what a year, right? From bleak hope to quite the opposite…

• December 18, 2015 at 8:18 am

I became a fan of the Gilmore girls since but never saw any episodes until it started to air on ABC Family 10 years ago . I’m also glad it is being rebooted on Netflix because when WB and UPN became CW and they and Amy had a falling out . But I’m saddened that Edward Herrmann passed away this year . But do you have any idea that that the children ; Jackson and Sookie’s kids , Lane and Zack kids , Christophers daughter GeGe , and Luke’s daughter April on going on the reboot ?

• December 22, 2015 at 12:30 pm

No word yet and even though it’s kinda my job I’m trying not to spoil it for myself or anyone else :D I’d be surprised if none of the aforementioned were at least name-checked but out of those I’d guess April or Gigi would be most likely… what do you guys think?

• December 24, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Now there’s a great Christmas present :)

• January 10, 2016 at 10:35 pm

rory and jess as a couple please!!luke and lorelai with a little Boy

• March 1, 2016 at 8:30 am

Sorry, guys but Jess was a con man and never treated Rory the way she deserved. Hard for me to believe this self-centered boy became the total package.
    Logan started on his way to maturity when the series ended but he is still his father’s son. Don’t recall him telling Rory his dad was wrong about her talent as a writer.
    What could possibly have happened to Dean? Divorced for sure but years have passed and he was a smart kid and I hope to see that he has become a success in whatever he decided to do. We do recall that he was Rory’s first kiss, first love and first lover, do we not? He should moved back to town, successful, handsome and genuine as always to mug up the works as Rory is planning a wedding.
    Shades of Rory’s mother’s past.