Gilmore Girls is Coming Back – Will it be Worth the Wait?

Gilmore Girls is coming back and I am trying so hard not to say I told you so.

It’s only been 24 hours since the announcement but are you already worried that it won’t live up to expectations? That too much time has passed and that now is a different time with different sensibilities? Will it be worth the wait?

gilmore_girls_carpet

Have a little faith.

I’ve said before that it would be hard to imagine show creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and husband / writer Dan not once thinking about Gilmore after their unexpected exit between seasons five and six… that with their show torn away, they never once had an ‘I know what Rory did next’ moment or imagining how the characters would deal with Richard Gilmore’s absence when Edward Herrmann passed away last year.

Plus there are also those final words that Amy had been saving for the finale – but never got to write.  Honestly right now I couldn’t care less what they are – or even if they get rainchecked for next time. We’re getting more, folks. Just like we’ve been been wishing for and for which I’ve been carrying a torch for, for the past three years.

Also it’s brilliant that Netflix have picked this up. Like being funded by HBO, you know that they’re going to commit to the full four episodes and not pull the rug out halfway through. Heavens, we might even get some swears.

Real Amy words coming from the real character’s mouths.  Bring it on.

Over the years GilmoreNews and our readers have had many discussions over what we want to see in the next chapter. We have talked about what the final words might be. We have written our own endings – some with zombies. And now we get to see it for real. It’s bloody brilliant.

How are you celebrating the news? Making a little room on the shelf next to the boxed set? Walking a little lighter? Perhaps making your first comment on this very site? Please do – share this moment with us!

Speaking of moments, MVP for the following goes to Scott Patterson for his letting the cat out of the bag back in May, then taking one for the team at the ATX cast reunion with his excruciating but non-committal retraction. Mr Patterson, you are vindicated. Lauren Graham comes a close second for tipping me off in March that she’d had lunch with Amy, Kelly (Emily Gilmore) and Alexis (Rory Gilmore) and permitting me to say, in nicest possible way:

I told you so.

Thank you Amy Sherman-Palladino. Knock our socks off.

Pic c/o ATX Festival

Rich

Rich originally began contributing to GIlmore News as 'Dairyman' in 2013, a reference to the character Dairyman Dick in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (call me Rich). Here in the UK we were late to the Gilmore party and I don't remember what made me watch my first episode - the one where Lorelai picks Rory up from the police station after she and Logan steal a yacht - but I remember watching it again immediately. And then again. Thankfully, the next show was on the next day and I watched that one three times too. And then the boat one again. I couldn't believe the dialogue was so quick and so funny and I pretended to myself that I was only watching it so I could figure out who I was more keen on - the mom or the daughter. I swore that Aaron Sorkin must have been involved but I couldn't find his name attached anywhere, even on the internet. So I watched and loved and laughed and cried and the day after the series finale, they ran the entire show from the beginning again and Rory turned into a baby so then I was all about Lorelai. Lauren Graham is astonishing ("Mother: Breathtaking") and the show was - and is - lightning in a bottle. It's a treasure for those who watch and get swept up in it, like I did and like the readers of Gilmore News. It's heartbreak and chicken soup, family dysfunction and blind optimism, lighthearted romanticism and balls-out brilliant. Thanks to Arieanna and gilmorenews.com for letting me squat and allowing my inner Gilmore Geek out for air. I worry how it would otherwise manifest.

15 thoughts on “Gilmore Girls is Coming Back – Will it be Worth the Wait?

• October 20, 2015 at 4:14 pm

It probably won’t live up to some fan’s expectations. Many are banking on the marriage of L&L, but I’m not convinced Amy ever had that in mind. Regardless, it will be a hoot to revisit Stars Hollow (but very sad that papa Gilmore won’t be there).

Plan is four 90 min eps (I believe).

I guess I’ll have to subscribe to Netflix 0_0

• October 20, 2015 at 7:06 pm

I’m eternally grateful to my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ for Amy and the show. Now, though, I’m ready to see Amy work her magic again.

• October 21, 2015 at 2:59 am

I’m smiling ☺ And if that means something, is that I have confidence in the quality of the show. For, all of us, the writers, the casts, (actress, actors), the fans have grown up. Which means something.
    Or, said in another way: If the story is written by Amy Sherman-Palladino and husband / writer Dan, it can only be really good. Added to that: how could Lauren Graham, Alexi Bledel, Kelly Bishop, Scott Patterson,Keiko Agena, Liza Weil, Jared Padalecki among all of the good casts that we used to like be not good? They were good at the show. They have now more experience of life, of themselves, of the profession. With such talent, the result can only be good.
    As for us, the fans, we worked in our heart hoping that that would happen. Which means some more personal and general insights too.
    That means a kind of strength given back to what was given us freely, and given back after so much hope.
    And as suggested by Irene Robles: we can be grateful to the Lord, for, such miracle in the matter of entertainment doesn’t happen often. For, if creators generally know how to make the audiences react in a certain way, event if the result may be good, they tend too often to use the same ingredients, or recipes of success*.
    … But what Amy Sherman-Palladino and husband / writer Dan do is ** to look to what is rarely shown by movie makers: the infinite quality of being, the intangible from where thinks and things come from inside to outside and outside to inside, and so on, the rhythm of life, each time a little different, a genuine creativity.
    Something that Virginia Wolf do so well in the Waves, or even George Eliot for instance in The Mill on the Floss, and Middlemarch, or other good classical writers.

* “Ficelle du métier en Français…”

** L’infinie qualité de l’être, la délicatesse, l’intangible, l’essence, la créativité. Sublimation dans l’art qui réveille et motive sa propre créativité et capacité d’action.
    Translation of **
    The infinite quality of being, the delicacy, the intangible, the essence of creativity: Sublimation in art that awakes and motivates its proper creativity and ability of doing.

• October 22, 2015 at 2:25 am

I can’t believe this is true, I have dream so much about a movie and now we got this!
    Gilmore girls season 8 will be a completely success, I can’t wait!

Thank so much for this fantastic website, http://www.gilmorenews.com,I love to reading about Gilmore Girls here.

• October 24, 2015 at 5:40 am

I’m SO excited!!! I love gilmore girls so so much, but I’m worried that it won’t work or just preparing myself for it. Until it’s in production, I have to protect my heart and sanity.

But thinking of how will change or get updated, I don’t really see it being a problem. What has really changed and what would change the gg world? If Amy and her husband are doing this, I can’t imagine them not blowing us away!

BTW, I have followed the blog for years. But this is my first comment….this is big! :)

• October 24, 2015 at 7:01 am

Rich (orignally contributing as ‘Dairyman’) nice hostess Arieanna Schweber wrote and I just read. Great job Rich! Have a great time!

• October 24, 2015 at 10:13 am

I get you Carrie! My first comment was so big to me too after reading for so long!!

I also feel nervous. For years Stars Hollow has just continued on … they keep drinking the coffee and reading the books …. I know Amy and David will do an amazing job, but I do feel nervous. A lot of time has gone by, but then not so much! The stars as we remember will have aged – even in Hollywood! No Richard … again, I trust Amy and David … just a bit anxious because this time it will have a real ending and as much as I have awaited and wondered, now it is really happening!

• October 25, 2015 at 5:13 am

I am so happy.. I knew in my heart this day would come. The call for the real writers to continue the show on their own terms has been never ending. We have all waited and now will be rewarded. This is like dream that has come true. I know that all of the fans with the constant push and call for the Gilmores to return was why this is happening. I could go on for hours sharing my thoughts about this but I will not bore you all. Just thank the lord they are back.. Also check out my ebay sales I possess some real original things from the show that I was able to get from cast/crew.. carmi-palac is where you look … I have much more than what is listed, will try to help my fellow Gilmore fans to Gilmore up before the opening night…Thank you all for keeping this community alive and thriving..

• October 26, 2015 at 1:33 pm

I remember my first comment too, just years ago! Then look what happened…

My favourite part of this blog is you guys and gals commenting and becoming part of our little family.

Glad to have popped your cherry Carrie. I know it’s scary and also freeing to put yourself out there. I only hope we can post something else in the future tantalising enough that you’ll want to respond again!

Carmine also, welcome to the family. It is, indeed, a dream and dreams are anything but boring.

• October 28, 2015 at 6:10 am

Correction to my post: Amy and DAN!! (not David).. geez, my excitement has made me delusional)… apologies.

• October 28, 2015 at 10:44 am

We all knew what you meant :D

• October 18, 2018 at 3:57 pm

it was awesome… but I was disappointed in the way the writers made a young lady into a home wrecker