Kelly Bishop Talks In-depth about Gilmore Girls

Amid the explosion of Gilmore ATX articles was a revealing little interview Decider had with the person who won the biggest cheer as she stepped onto the reunion stage, Kelly Bishop (Emily Gilmore). Or Dame Kelly as we call her round here.

Our Queen Bee, Kelly Bish

She talks endearingly and frankly about her co-actors, her Gilmore origin story and how she wants a movie as much as any of us.

Kelly: When Sex and the City did their first movie, I was a little jealous of them. Of course, they were up for Emmys and Gilmore Girls had some issues with that. I kept going, ‘Wait a minute! We’re funnier than they are and we’re better than they are!

True dat.

Dear Queen B, please please please be my sassy fairy godmother.

Read all about it, right here.

Was Gilmore Girls funnier and better than Sex and the City?
Why do you think Kelly received the loudest cheer?
What was she better in, Gilmore Girls or Bunheads?
What would you like to see her in next?

Pic c/o Eagle-Eye Jack Plunkett

Rich

Rich originally began contributing to GIlmore News as 'Dairyman' in 2013, a reference to the character Dairyman Dick in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (call me Rich). Here in the UK we were late to the Gilmore party and I don't remember what made me watch my first episode - the one where Lorelai picks Rory up from the police station after she and Logan steal a yacht - but I remember watching it again immediately. And then again. Thankfully, the next show was on the next day and I watched that one three times too. And then the boat one again. I couldn't believe the dialogue was so quick and so funny and I pretended to myself that I was only watching it so I could figure out who I was more keen on - the mom or the daughter. I swore that Aaron Sorkin must have been involved but I couldn't find his name attached anywhere, even on the internet. So I watched and loved and laughed and cried and the day after the series finale, they ran the entire show from the beginning again and Rory turned into a baby so then I was all about Lorelai. Lauren Graham is astonishing ("Mother: Breathtaking") and the show was - and is - lightning in a bottle. It's a treasure for those who watch and get swept up in it, like I did and like the readers of Gilmore News. It's heartbreak and chicken soup, family dysfunction and blind optimism, lighthearted romanticism and balls-out brilliant. Thanks to Arieanna and gilmorenews.com for letting me squat and allowing my inner Gilmore Geek out for air. I worry how it would otherwise manifest.

4 thoughts on “Kelly Bishop Talks In-depth about Gilmore Girls

• June 17, 2015 at 4:20 am

I am so biased so I shouldn’t even answer, but of course I think Gilmore girls is better!!

• June 29, 2015 at 11:16 am

Ecclesiastes (and Kevin Bacon) told us that there is a time for every purpose under heaven. There is a time to laugh, a time to weep, a time to mourn and there is a time for Sex and the City, but not when Gilmore Girls is on.

• June 17, 2015 at 3:47 pm

As a reader of this blog clearly I prefer Gilmore to SATC though recognize that the latter had its place. For the most part however, I found that quartet of women to be more aggresively celf-centered than the ladies of Gilmore so less funny and at times annoying. Then of course there is the realization that SATC was a bit of a riff on the quartet of ladies in the 70’s movie “An Unmarried Woman” in whick KB costarred as part of that original quartet.

KB probably got the loudest cheer in recognition that she was the primary acting partner for EH in Gilmore and it was a love everything Gilmore day.

Hard to say where she was untimately better since we never got to know how she would advance in BH while Emily was pretty fully formed. However, if you compare season one Emily to Fanny, I kind of liked Fanny better since she got to have a better balance of fun to go with all the tyrannical behavior. Emily was little more in the first season than the constant burr in Lorelai’s backside [albiet with some great one-liners].

Love to see her in the next 20 episodes of BH, without question on some streaming service instead of a tone-deaf ABCF.

• June 18, 2015 at 10:04 am

Couldn’t watch more than one episode of this thing that had a movie done for. Too much material in it… Very common story line…
    Gilmore Girls, on the other hand was imaginative, a “Midsummer Night Dream” pure, intelligent, motivating… At least the first five seasons, before they corrugated it somehow…
    A movie would have been great too… But that would have meant that the producers did acknowledge the positive particularity of such series… They don’t know… They just think that the public has the same taste, and that only the material in question in the other series is important.
    Education is important. Acquiring knowledge is important. Knowledge for everyone, in Gilmore Girls this positive point of view being emphasized in women. Having a aim to pursue is important, something Rory and Lorelai had in their one ways. Something Emily had too in her pursuit of excellency, and something Richard had achieved in his life. Which meant, that even if the series was about women, it was well balanced between men and women…. This was an intelligent point of view seen by intelligent women. A pure Jane Austen :)