Remember when Rory’s School was Tony Stark’s Dad’s House?

Warning: I have my Gilmore Geek Hat firmly pulled over my ears for this one.

In episode 3 of ABC’s Agent Carter (bear with me), Peggy pays a visit to Howard Stark’s mansion, which features a singularly familiar staircase.

Headmaster Charleston's been decorating

Recognise it?  The marble floors were once graced by Harriet Beecher Stowe and Robert Frost donated the main staircases’ banisters.

... light fittings are unchanged. But he was only short.

Watching it, I had one of those moments when I suddenly realise I’m bouncing in my seat, pointing at the TV with my tongue hanging out.  The decor is slightly different – Headmaster Charleston appears to have done some wallpapering and you certainly won’t find Lorelai and Rory’s reversed initials carved anywhere, no-sirree-bob.

It’s Chilton Preparatory School, also known as the Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills, CA 90210 and is the site of one of the most noticeable uses of Sam Phillips’ la-la’s

Lorelai: Wait, wait! Look around for a second. Notice?
Rory: Notice what?
Lorelai: It’s not so scary any more.
Rory: No – it’s not.

Stupid Phone-Stalking Jess...

Attagirl.

So I’m obviously watching Agent Carter, which has a unique flavour compared to, say, Agents of SHIELD – it’s more like an enjoyably trashy mix of Buffy and MacGyver.   The strong feminist slant is particularly apt in the current climate and fits neatly into the 1940s setting.  I’m also all caught up with Game of Thrones, eager for the new season and dragons coming in April. DRAGONS!! On the recommendations of our commenters, I have made a start on Veronica Mars and I’m also re-watching The Wire – just finished season 3.  Still the best TV drama, ever.

What else (besides Gilmore Girls) are you watching this year?

Anybody else out there watching the same stuff as me?  I often feel very alone in my particular Venn diagram.  I’m told Americans don’t watch The Wire – can anyone confirm?

If you’re re-watching Gilmore Girls, how many times is this now?  What are you noticing that you didn’t before?

And a call out to my Gilmore Geeks – any other recent sightings of Gilmore locations or cast?

Rich

Rich originally began contributing to GIlmore News as 'Dairyman' in 2013, a reference to the character Dairyman Dick in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (call me Rich). Here in the UK we were late to the Gilmore party and I don't remember what made me watch my first episode - the one where Lorelai picks Rory up from the police station after she and Logan steal a yacht - but I remember watching it again immediately. And then again. Thankfully, the next show was on the next day and I watched that one three times too. And then the boat one again. I couldn't believe the dialogue was so quick and so funny and I pretended to myself that I was only watching it so I could figure out who I was more keen on - the mom or the daughter. I swore that Aaron Sorkin must have been involved but I couldn't find his name attached anywhere, even on the internet. So I watched and loved and laughed and cried and the day after the series finale, they ran the entire show from the beginning again and Rory turned into a baby so then I was all about Lorelai. Lauren Graham is astonishing ("Mother: Breathtaking") and the show was - and is - lightning in a bottle. It's a treasure for those who watch and get swept up in it, like I did and like the readers of Gilmore News. It's heartbreak and chicken soup, family dysfunction and blind optimism, lighthearted romanticism and balls-out brilliant. Thanks to Arieanna and gilmorenews.com for letting me squat and allowing my inner Gilmore Geek out for air. I worry how it would otherwise manifest.

14 thoughts on “Remember when Rory’s School was Tony Stark’s Dad’s House?

• March 31, 2015 at 2:48 pm

I always wanted to say that: I love you so much. For having this website, for still writing stuff about Gilmore Girls, for the feeling I get when I visit this website. I never stopped loving them- how could you? I’m watching Gossip Girls and Game of Thrones, too. But you just can’t compare anything to Gilmore Girls. I don’t think I’ll ever love something like GG in my whole life.

• March 31, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Its great when things like this come up, its a reason I’m a fan of Hart of Dixie, shot on the same backlot as Stars Hollow.

• April 1, 2015 at 10:50 am

Craig – I’m not familiar with Hart of Dixie… aside from the locales, what’s good about it?

k_996 – can I call you k? – you’re too kind, too kind (keep it coming), too kind. I continue to be humbled by y’all’s support, still listening to my increasingly random posts after all these years.

Thank you.

• April 1, 2015 at 11:24 am

Yes, you can call me k, my real name is Kristine, but k sounds cool. I love your posts! Never stop posting. Pleaaase! :)

• April 1, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Not watching much new, but did catch the opening episode of Sutton Foster’s new show titled “Younger” on TVLand.

Some casual similarities to BH. Once again Sutton plays a fish out of water. This time a recently divorced single mom in her early 40’s who suddenly needs to find a job and trying to reconnect with her old field of publishing/marketing. However,since she is now 15 years behind the times, desperate, and interviewers/headhunters are totally unsympathetic to her dilema, she lets a kooky friend [Debbi Mazur, in a sidekick role somewhat like Talia from BH] talk her into trying to pass as a 26 year-old.

Then she must kick it into gear after miraculously finding an interesting position that necessitates getting a modern social media education ASAP so she has at least a snowball’s chance in H of doing the job correctly. Hillary Duff [Lizzie Maguire] as a higher up the ladder who becomes her friend/mentor thinking they are actually the same age [tough to believe, if well written and acted by both]. And then of course the requiste much younger potential boyfriend cast just like Gadot from BH.

Most of the resultant humor is strictly farce with all the pitfalls of forever having to convince everyone around you of your true/false identities [depending on who is sharing the screen at the time], as well as sophmoric humor related to how women of that mid-twenty age look at sexual behavior [somewhat lke the idiocy of making fun of teenage boy’s sexual behvior in the 80’s movie Porky’s.]

I kind of liked it and will check it out until the premise becomes too one-note, which I suspect will occur within 6 or so episodes. The downsides: If they don’t have Sutton actually perform somewhere in the series she will be underutilized.. The big downside: Constantly promoting social media interaction in a brute force manner. My reaction—#quitewithallthehashtags or #wearen’tbuying thepremise or #subtletygoesalongway!!!

• April 6, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Welcome to the ‘boards Kristine and thanks again :O)

Mcityrk – sounds an awful lot like that Drew Barrymore flick ‘Never Been Kissed’…

• April 6, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Except NBK was a bit idealized, mostly romantic, and usually PG while Younger is quite a bit louder, self-centered in a confrontational manner, and at times pretty crass for little redeeming purpose. For better or worse that probably relfects a very noticable slice of current societal behavior.

• April 7, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Yes, k_996 we’re really lucky to have this site :) It’s almost as if we had that eight season, for we can dream between each post that emphasize some aspect of the series. So thanks you Arieanna Schweber for your genuine passion :)

• April 8, 2015 at 7:42 am

Have never posted here before. Have sporadically read this site. Have saved a bookmark on my computer though. But – Thank You for still maintaining this site. I used to have a fan site for Party of Five, in Sweden. Ran it for about 10 years until the webhotel started to ask for money. Know what it takes. I have “fanatically” watched Party of Five, Homefront, Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, Downton Abbey and Hart of Dixie. Have had a little GG-feeling towards Hart of Dixie. Think it’s the townpeople that makes it. Enough to buy the first 2 HoD seasons on DVD. Will buy the rest eventually. The other mentioned shows I have on DVD. My Po5 and Homefront DVD seasons are copied VHS tapes to DVDs. It’s funny how I watch these series. I rather have a wonderful moment with “old friends” than watch new series on TV that I’m not drawn into. So – again – Thank you for the hard work! Will come here more often / A Swedish Gilmore

• April 10, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Hej hoo mar doo Swedish (apologies my Swedish is a little rusty) but it’s very nice to have you along.

Gilmore_Girls_F, always a pleasure.

And I shall catch up with Younger at some point, I’m reading reviews saying it’s like Gilmore Girls without ASP, which is very confusing.

• April 11, 2015 at 6:16 am

Yeah, this house was used in a LOT of films/TV series.

One that is particularly funny is the one episode of Simon & Simon (80s private investigator stuff) where it’s the home of a wealthy art collector, who happened to have two daughters.

The funny part is that one is the wild hair and bright clothes (again 80s) type who likes to party, while the other is the quiet studious type (those characters sound familiar so far?) wearing a dark bluish plaid skirt that very much resembles the Chilton color scheme.

• April 11, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Anyone comparing this to Gilmore Girls must never have watched the show. The comparisons begin and end with the fact that you have two “tallish” and similar looking brunette lead characters who handle quick dialogue very well [although Lorelai was much better and interesting at it; cudos ASP vs DS]. I also believe that there was a better storyline setup in the Gilmore pilot than is likely to be seen in the entire first season of Younger. That’s not so much a slam at Younger which will usually be passable and even funny if superficial social commentary but significant praise for the pilot and followthrough in the entire Gilmore saga.

• April 12, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Hallo and thank you Martin, always good to hear from you!

• April 21, 2015 at 8:38 pm

I just saw “Ledawn” or whatever the heck her name was (who ran the Chesire Cat B&B) in an episode of “Grace Under Fire” which is a show from the early/mid 90’s I want to say? She was a teacher. Looked and sounded and acted exactly the same.