How Lauren Graham Found Out Gilmore Girls was Cancelled

Last week, Lauren Graham (Lorelai Gilmore) was interviewed on Late Night with Seth Meyers talking about the series finale of Parenthood.

post-tingles

There’s a wonderful moment (from the 1 minute 40 second mark) where Seth mentions Gilmore Girls for the first time in the interview and the live studio audience erupts into a spontaneous ovation of whooping and hollering. It gave me tingles.  Check it out:

She talks about how with Parenthood, they knew it was the end, so everyone had a chance to appreciate the moment, sentimentalize and have some closure. Whereas Gilmore Girls was quite the opposite.

Lauren: I was in a restaurant and I had turned my phone off, cause that’s polite. The waiter comes to the table and he was like, ‘Are you Lauren Graham?’ I was like, ‘Yes!’ He goes, ‘Your agent’s on the phone!’ I thought I was in a ’40s movie or something. I was like, walking to the house phone. I was like, ‘Hello?’ and he goes [grubby voice] ‘It’s cancelled,’ and that’s how I found out that it was the end.

Depressing, right?

I had the same feeling watching the DVD Extra which features Keiko Agena (Lane Kim) filming a behind-the-scenes day of filming Gilmore Girls. She has a live crew following her around makeup, her trailer, the sets and her dialogue training and she keeps saying it’s her last day on season 7 – but she doesn’t realise it’s her last day of shooting on Gilmore Girls, EVER. Her day doesn’t end in tears or with any fanfare, she just has a little hug with Todd Lowe (Zack Van Gerbig) at the end of their kitchen scene and that’s it. She goes back to her trailer then presumably heads off into the sunset on her hotwickedcool motorbike.

The end really did come out of the blue.  But rather than lament the loss, I’m looking forward to the ATX Reunion later this year.

Do you whoop every time someone mentions Gilmore Girls? I do hope it’s not just me.  Just how upset are you that there may never be another episode?  Did you watch that DVD extra amazed at how fast they were spitting out the lines by the end of the coaching?  Crazy crazy stuff…

Pic c/o LateNightWithSethMeyer

Rich

Rich originally began contributing to GIlmore News as 'Dairyman' in 2013, a reference to the character Dairyman Dick in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (call me Rich). Here in the UK we were late to the Gilmore party and I don't remember what made me watch my first episode - the one where Lorelai picks Rory up from the police station after she and Logan steal a yacht - but I remember watching it again immediately. And then again. Thankfully, the next show was on the next day and I watched that one three times too. And then the boat one again. I couldn't believe the dialogue was so quick and so funny and I pretended to myself that I was only watching it so I could figure out who I was more keen on - the mom or the daughter. I swore that Aaron Sorkin must have been involved but I couldn't find his name attached anywhere, even on the internet. So I watched and loved and laughed and cried and the day after the series finale, they ran the entire show from the beginning again and Rory turned into a baby so then I was all about Lorelai. Lauren Graham is astonishing ("Mother: Breathtaking") and the show was - and is - lightning in a bottle. It's a treasure for those who watch and get swept up in it, like I did and like the readers of Gilmore News. It's heartbreak and chicken soup, family dysfunction and blind optimism, lighthearted romanticism and balls-out brilliant. Thanks to Arieanna and gilmorenews.com for letting me squat and allowing my inner Gilmore Geek out for air. I worry how it would otherwise manifest.

13 thoughts on “How Lauren Graham Found Out Gilmore Girls was Cancelled

• January 27, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Yes, I felt so sad when I learned that there would be no other episode to watch. There was so many angles left for the story. But ” They cancelled it” without a proper ending… Yet, the fan base is growing… All generations love Gilmore Girls… So, who knows, they may make a movie :)
    And, OK, it’s time to put a DVD…

• January 28, 2015 at 10:09 am

A crummy way to finally hear the news of course, but that decision could not have been that surprising to the main principals who had been slugging it out with the powers that be since before the end of season six. Why else would the writers have left both girls for the first time since the end of season one on reasonably satisfying plot plateaus?? At least that way the door to return might remain open and the fan base would not be completely in revolt.

As to no more episodes, I am afraid with the exit of the “Tall Man” that Slim [as in chance] has also left the building, never to return. Not that they needed another reason, but now it just seems to painful to the ensemble and disrespectful to Ed’s memory to even try. That of course was always one of the dangers in putting off any return to the characters, that everybody would not still be available. Guess I am a little more sanguine than most about this since in my mind I saw a followup episode set five years in the future and had a bit of closure..

• January 29, 2015 at 12:32 am

Edward Herrmann’s loss does undermine the idea of any new Gilmore Girls episode/movie quiet a bit, but I still think it could be done (if everyone/anyone involved did want to see it happen). Actually (all sadness towards Ed’s passing aside, and not to sound cold), Richard Gilmore’s absence might give many emotional moments between various characters (all combinations between the three Gilmore Girls and I think Luke’s experience in that kind of loss might be put in good use). I always found it curious that for such a family centered show, the death in the family subject was only touched with Trix. Having said that, it is very frustrating to think that they had about seven years to do it already and now, any chance to see that perfect cast together once more is gone forever. But, to be perfectly honest, I already had very little hope to ever see it. New year’s sad announcement just made it even more unlikely. Just like every year gone by does.

As for the way Lauren Graham found out about the show being cancelled, it sounds about as depressing as the way I felt when I watched the last season. A very sad “well, so this is how it ends……..”.

• January 30, 2015 at 10:00 am

Hadn’t really planned on watching the Parenthood finale since I seldom watched it since the end of the first season. However, circumstantially tripped across it’s opening sequence while surfing and hung around off and on over the hour to see how it would close.

A few observations: the cast has grown so large [20 and counting] that even family dinners seemed like Stars Hallow town hall meetings. This results in so many peripheral plotlines that it is hard to care about many of the characters as you don’t see enough of them to feel like you know them.

Lots of wrap ups of course. Max’s high school graduation with a scene very much like Rory from Chilton. Half way expecetd hime to stick out his tongue [didn’t happen].

Sara’s weddng and all the family coming together was very nice, but was so sugary that I suspect ASP would be throwing rotten tomatoes at the screen if she was watching.

Even the one “downer’ of the closing, Zeke’s passing [art predicting life], was handled by spreading his ashes on the ball diamond while the whole family played softball in a three minute segment [at times hilarious] accented by “Forever Young’, with a final fade into the sunset.

I suspect those who watched the entire series were pretty happy with all the nice loose ends tying, but for that many characters to be on a positive trajectory at the same time seemed right out of a Disney “princess” movie. For what it’s worth, I liked the Gilmore ending with all its ambivalence much better–

• February 2, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Strange note, ABCF is running the first two episodes of Gilmore starting at 11 PM central time this evening. Suspect it is just a “one-off” nostalgia block rather than a regular scheduling but will be keeping an eye open to see if more episodes appear–.

• February 3, 2015 at 11:39 am

I think they could still make another chapter without Edward Herrmann, while acknowledging the void he would leave. I don’t think it would be necessary to replace him with another character or actor since the story would at least partially revolve around his absence. Man, I miss him.

Thanks mcityrk for the commentary on Parenthood. I saw a tweet about 4 GG episodes on ABC Family in a single day. This can’t be a bad thing. I do have the occasional hunger pangs for an episode of Friends and wonder if there shouldn’t be dedicated channels for certain shows… PIVOT!!

• February 5, 2015 at 11:52 am

Well it appears official as an everyday occurance. As of this evening we will have had four consecutive days of back-to-back late evening showings of Gilmore Girls on ABCF. Thanks guys…..and about time!!

• February 5, 2015 at 12:10 pm

I envy people who have never seen the show.

• February 9, 2015 at 3:37 pm

I totally agree Rich about envying GG virgins. I wish I had amnesia so I could watch the show all over again.

• February 11, 2015 at 9:27 pm

One more Parenthood final episode wrapup. In this week’s TV guide poll about the wedding the following comment occured::

“The Lorelai wedding I always hoped for. To bad it wasn’t to Luke”.

• February 17, 2015 at 12:36 pm

I used to be embarrassed by how sad I was to see Gilmore Girls end. I’m glad to see I’m not alone. I still miss it all the time. I don’t want a movie though, how much could they really wrap up with one movie that needs it’s own plot line to carry it through. How about a spin-off series? That’s what I would love to see.

• February 18, 2015 at 11:33 am

Welcome Trish! I am hella loving the idea of GG spin-offs. Yoink! That’s gone in my sack of brilliant ideas for future posts thankyouverymuch :O)

Mcityrk – ha!

Alysia – I’m sure we can arrange something.

• February 18, 2015 at 6:39 pm

And on the crazy scale from 5 to 1 on possible spinoffs:

P & D in their respective post-Yale careers??
    Or M & L in the fashion industry busting Gossip Girl or LC and Company??
    Kirk and Michele in a behind the scenes power struggle to change SH into the new Sin City??
    Luke’s being franchised with Zack and Jackson as partners??
    Lorelai and Rory traipsing through Central America to harness their inner Juan Valdes??