Gilmore Cast Pass Round The ALS Ice Bucket

I’m back from vacation – two weeks in a little cottage on a cow farm in northern France, it was lovely thankyouverymuch – only to find people throwing buckets of ice water over themselves.

ice goes badonk

For those who have somehow managed to miss the phenomenon, it’s to raise awareness and donations in aid of ALS* research (see below for more information).

The rules of the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge are simple.  Each nominee must be filmed having a bucket of ice water poured on their heads, then challenge others to do the same – or forfeit by way of a donation to either the ALS Association  in the US or the Motor Neurone Disease Association in the UK.

About this time last week, Jared Padalecki (Dean Forester) took up the challenge from many, including Misha Collins (Supernatural) – but rainchecks his nominees as he waddles off to unfreeze his balls.

Watch Jared’s nut-numbing performance here.

Two days later, Lauren Graham (pictured right) took the challenge, having been nominated by Connie Britten (Nashville, Friday Night Lights, Lauren’s ex-housemate).  Ably assisted by boyfriend Peter Krause, Lauren appeared to suffer mild abrasions from the rubber ice cubes.  She went on to tweet-nominate Miles Heizer (Parenthood), Sam Pancake (Lauren’s co-star in The Life Coach) and Jason Ritter (Parenthood and cancelled Alexis Bledel show, Us and Them.  I’m not bitter.)

Lauren’s plastic attack can be seen in full here.

We’ll be following the trend (if it hasn’t fizzled out by the time I post this) by other members of the Gilmore cast, in the Comments below.  Susan Sarandon took the Challenge yesterday and nominated Melissa McCarthy (Sookie St James), David Bowie and George Saunders.  Sarandon was nominated by Harry Styles… the mind boggles.

Which Gilmore Girls actor or character would you like to see being dunked?  I’d be worried Taylor would go into cardiac arrest.  Have you taken the challenge and if so, how was it for you?  Have you been affected by ALS or known someone who has?

*ALS – amyotrophic lateral sclerosis – is an incurable disease that affects the brain and spinal cord, causing degeneration, paralysis and eventual death.  Also referred to as Motor Neurone Disease, the donations – currently estimated at nearly US$80 million – will aid crucial research.

Pic c/o Lauren Graham and her rubber ice cubes

Rich

Rich originally began contributing to GIlmore News as 'Dairyman' in 2013, a reference to the character Dairyman Dick in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (call me Rich). Here in the UK we were late to the Gilmore party and I don't remember what made me watch my first episode - the one where Lorelai picks Rory up from the police station after she and Logan steal a yacht - but I remember watching it again immediately. And then again. Thankfully, the next show was on the next day and I watched that one three times too. And then the boat one again. I couldn't believe the dialogue was so quick and so funny and I pretended to myself that I was only watching it so I could figure out who I was more keen on - the mom or the daughter. I swore that Aaron Sorkin must have been involved but I couldn't find his name attached anywhere, even on the internet. So I watched and loved and laughed and cried and the day after the series finale, they ran the entire show from the beginning again and Rory turned into a baby so then I was all about Lorelai. Lauren Graham is astonishing ("Mother: Breathtaking") and the show was - and is - lightning in a bottle. It's a treasure for those who watch and get swept up in it, like I did and like the readers of Gilmore News. It's heartbreak and chicken soup, family dysfunction and blind optimism, lighthearted romanticism and balls-out brilliant. Thanks to Arieanna and gilmorenews.com for letting me squat and allowing my inner Gilmore Geek out for air. I worry how it would otherwise manifest.

7 thoughts on “Gilmore Cast Pass Round The ALS Ice Bucket

• August 26, 2014 at 5:41 pm

I may have mentioned this before but an Alexis show called Us and Them reminds me of the S&M misprint in the Yale Daily News. :D

• August 27, 2014 at 12:26 am

Lauren should ‘man up’ and do it with real ice water!

I’d say it’s just a matter of time before Melissa and the others do the challenge, just saw one from the cast of Castle, it was profesionally video’d and edited.

• August 28, 2014 at 11:09 am

Benedict Cumberbatch’s was also very classy. What a name :)

• August 27, 2014 at 10:07 am

1 — While one congratulates the ALS foundation for being the recipeient of this social anomaly [since it’s 100 fold plus yearly increase in fundraising was entirely independent of their own efforts], one hopes its has the leadership to use this windfall wisely.

2 — I wonder how many fundraisers at other nonprofit foundations are on the hot seat with their jobs on the line for not come up with this simple yet effective way to get people’s attention.

3 — One hopes that this effort doesn’t detract from other worthy causes since unless the size of the pie increases, someone getting a humongous slice implies smaller slices for everybody else.

4 — While well intentioned, this stunt at its core is still a subtlely bullying chain letter so I will decline to participate or toss in my two cents for who in the Gilmore universe could use a good dunking—–.

• August 29, 2014 at 10:06 am

Checkout Allen Breed’s 8/29/14 AP update of this phenomena — currently bringing in 9M per week with close to 100M total !!!!!!!!!!!!

Considering they historically only spend 73% of donations on programs and the rest on ad/min, one hopes this increased scale up alllows them to greatly improve this performance and efficiently get this money to quality researchers who will advance progress not just to fly-by-night quacks looking for an easy handout. Hard to believe, but sometimes too much money can be a problem if there is an insane rush to spend it—

—————————————–

On a more whimsical [ne: rediculous] note we now know how to get a Gilmore movie funded on one of the social networks– just have the Lorelais reenact their “your boobs are bigger than my boobs” argument with dueling garden hoses—

——————————————

As I live in a colder climate in the upper midwest of the US, we have our own dailiy version of the “ice bucket challenge”. Simply taking a 40 minute walk after minimally cleared snowstorms quite frequently results in taking random slushy “rooster-tail” challenges from speeding motorists who seem only too happy to see if they can hit targets on pedestrians body — 5 points for the ankles, 15 points for the nuts, and 25 points for square between the eyes. Makes the “ice bucket challenge” seem trivial by comparison—

• August 29, 2014 at 11:12 pm

:D and I’m all for the hoses idea.

• July 9, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Hi i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting
    anyplace, when i read this paragraph i thought i could also create comment due to this sensible piece
    of writing.