Best Gilmore Trivia Ever

Some bits and bobs you might or might not know…

No way! Waaaay!

– Rory’s teacher in the pilot episode was played by Jill Brennan, who returned 4 years later as ‘Crazy’ Carrie Duncan, one of Luke’s high school dalliances

– In the original pilot script, Lorelai cooks a celebratory banquet and both the girls enjoyed salad – unlike in ‘real life’, where pizza is a food type and the oven is used to keep shoes

– Alexis Bledel (Rory Gilmore, duh) drank Coke in place of coffee, although she’s partial to coffee now

– Stars Hollow was in part based on Washington Depot, CT – a real place that we’ll visit during one of the Stars Hollow Cons, the Gilmore Girls Convention

– Rescue dog Buttercup actually belonged to Scott Patterson (Luke Danes)

Rory: Buttercup is a special dog. She’s extremely skittish and tends to react badly towards blonde haired females, brunette males, children of either sex, other animals, red clothing, cabbage or anyone in a uniform.
Lorelai (to Luke):Hey, we just found the doggy version of you.

– Neither Lane nor Mrs Kim were Korean

– Lauren Graham (Lorelai Gilmore, duh) and Keiko Agena (Lane Kim) were both born in Honolulu, Hawaii

– Keiko Agena was closer to Lauren’s age than Alexis (Rory Gilmore).  Those wonderful Japanese-American genes…

– Alex Borstein was originally cast to play Sookie but due to Alex’ contractual engagements, was re-cast as Drella (the eternally-miffed harp player) and later on as Miss Celine the Gilmores’ dresser)

– Michael Winters (Taylor Doose) lost his left leg in a fishing accident between seasons 4 and 5 and acted the remainder of the show with a wooden leg

– The set of Lorelai’s house connected to Sookie’s house via the closet door in the entrance hall

– The exterior of the Dragonfly Inn was the house from popular 70s show, The Waltons

– Alexis Bledel and Milo Ventimiglia (Jess Mariano) were dating in real life

– Sean Gunn turned up as both the swan guy and Mick the cable guy before becoming Kirk forever.  Including an alternate universe Kirk as Bash, in Bunheads

– At the school performance of Fiddler On The Roof, Matthew Perry can be seen hiding behind the curtain after Luke fixes Kirk’s cart

I have homework for you this week.  Hunt out some unexpected trivia and post it below.  tv.com has thousands I never knew about.  Or you can totally make it up, just like I completely fabricated every fifth ‘fact’ above.

Pic c/o The WB

Rich

Rich originally began contributing to GIlmore News as 'Dairyman' in 2013, a reference to the character Dairyman Dick in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (call me Rich). Here in the UK we were late to the Gilmore party and I don't remember what made me watch my first episode - the one where Lorelai picks Rory up from the police station after she and Logan steal a yacht - but I remember watching it again immediately. And then again. Thankfully, the next show was on the next day and I watched that one three times too. And then the boat one again. I couldn't believe the dialogue was so quick and so funny and I pretended to myself that I was only watching it so I could figure out who I was more keen on - the mom or the daughter. I swore that Aaron Sorkin must have been involved but I couldn't find his name attached anywhere, even on the internet. So I watched and loved and laughed and cried and the day after the series finale, they ran the entire show from the beginning again and Rory turned into a baby so then I was all about Lorelai. Lauren Graham is astonishing ("Mother: Breathtaking") and the show was - and is - lightning in a bottle. It's a treasure for those who watch and get swept up in it, like I did and like the readers of Gilmore News. It's heartbreak and chicken soup, family dysfunction and blind optimism, lighthearted romanticism and balls-out brilliant. Thanks to Arieanna and gilmorenews.com for letting me squat and allowing my inner Gilmore Geek out for air. I worry how it would otherwise manifest.

12 thoughts on “Best Gilmore Trivia Ever

• July 22, 2014 at 2:37 pm

The fallacies of the fifth…….good one. I was all ready to take a good look at Taylor in the out seasons!!

• July 22, 2014 at 5:07 pm

My quiz: Two statements. Are both true, false, or one of each. If the later, which one was true?

1] There were at least 6 actors who played dual roles in Gilmore Girls. 2] AB did her own stunts in “You Jump Jack”.

• July 22, 2014 at 11:59 pm

Mcityrk, off the top of my head I’m gonna go for true true, although I can only think of 4! Can you give us the answer next week?

Writing this post I stumbled across TripAdvisor reports on The Dragonfly Inn :)

• July 22, 2014 at 8:34 pm

This one made me smile:

Can’t wait!!!!!

• July 23, 2014 at 10:54 am

Mcityrk – I’m very impressed that you remembered it was there from five years ago!

• July 23, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Lathany-

Thanks. Since I was part of the original conversation I remembered it was there. But of course it is Arienna’s wonderful season listings of all the episodes that let me find it in a few seconds and revisit the prior conversation. I’m always surprised that new viewers to the site don’t just pick that up, then click through to their favorite episode, and continue the conversation threads.

• July 24, 2014 at 2:14 am

I think it’s because, if the rest of the thread is several years old, it can sometimes be difficult to imagine anyone else has any more to say on it. However, it’s more likely that other people are not adding for exactly the same reason!

One of the many good things about this site is that it has the “most recent posts” bit, so you can see when people return to older threads and maybe add to them.

• July 26, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Agreed, now if the spammers would just stop blocking the most recent posts list!!

As to statment number one from my quiz above, there are of course the obvious four:

Sean [Kirk, Mick, and others], Alex [Drella, Miss Celine], Marion [Trix, cousin Marylin], and Sherilyn [Jimmy’s Sasha, April’s Anna].

The fifth is that mentioned by Rich in the outline [Jill Brennan as Rory’s high-school teacher in the pilot and as Crazy Carrie later] although that assumes the teacher was not the same crazy Carrie.

And the sixth had speaking parts in two Gilmore episodes [1.03, 4.16] and even served as a checker in the movie truck to be hop-scotched around by the quartet in Bunheads 1.06. I’m thinking of course of everyone’s favorite old codger “Golf-Cart Man” who also served as the absent-minded pastor at Trix’s funeral. Unfortunately I have no idea of his name outside Gilmore land–

• July 29, 2014 at 11:40 am

I’m pretty sure there are more double entries in the supporting cast, but we can leave them to speak for themselves.

• July 27, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Other possible trivia questions:

Which of the five Gilmores have acted with the most academy award winners?? The numbers, names, and movies?? [Don’t claim I know the full answer, just curious as to what it is!!]

• July 29, 2014 at 11:39 am

That’s a goodie! Also good because it’s not something you’d find with a Google search. Ooh, that gives me an idea for a blog. [Update: I’m super-excited about the post that sprung from this but I’m saving it for next month when I’ll be away for a couple of weeks… keep your eyes peeled and thanks mcityrk!]