Some bits and bobs you might or might not know…
– Rory’s teacher in the pilot episode was played by Jill Brennan, who returned 4 years later as ‘Crazy’ Carrie Duncan, one of Luke’s high school dalliances
– In the original pilot script, Lorelai cooks a celebratory banquet and both the girls enjoyed salad – unlike in ‘real life’, where pizza is a food type and the oven is used to keep shoes
– Alexis Bledel (Rory Gilmore, duh) drank Coke in place of coffee, although she’s partial to coffee now
– Stars Hollow was in part based on Washington Depot, CT – a real place that we’ll visit during one of the Stars Hollow Cons, the Gilmore Girls Convention
– Rescue dog Buttercup actually belonged to Scott Patterson (Luke Danes)
Rory: Buttercup is a special dog. She’s extremely skittish and tends to react badly towards blonde haired females, brunette males, children of either sex, other animals, red clothing, cabbage or anyone in a uniform.
Lorelai (to Luke):Hey, we just found the doggy version of you.
– Neither Lane nor Mrs Kim were Korean
– Lauren Graham (Lorelai Gilmore, duh) and Keiko Agena (Lane Kim) were both born in Honolulu, Hawaii
– Keiko Agena was closer to Lauren’s age than Alexis (Rory Gilmore). Those wonderful Japanese-American genes…
– Alex Borstein was originally cast to play Sookie but due to Alex’ contractual engagements, was re-cast as Drella (the eternally-miffed harp player) and later on as Miss Celine the Gilmores’ dresser)
– Michael Winters (Taylor Doose) lost his left leg in a fishing accident between seasons 4 and 5 and acted the remainder of the show with a wooden leg
– The set of Lorelai’s house connected to Sookie’s house via the closet door in the entrance hall
– The exterior of the Dragonfly Inn was the house from popular 70s show, The Waltons
– Alexis Bledel and Milo Ventimiglia (Jess Mariano) were dating in real life
– Sean Gunn turned up as both the swan guy and Mick the cable guy before becoming Kirk forever. Including an alternate universe Kirk as Bash, in Bunheads
– At the school performance of Fiddler On The Roof, Matthew Perry can be seen hiding behind the curtain after Luke fixes Kirk’s cart
I have homework for you this week. Hunt out some unexpected trivia and post it below. tv.com has thousands I never knew about. Or you can totally make it up, just like I completely fabricated every fifth ‘fact’ above.
Pic c/o The WB