Those Good Lookin’ Girls… Well, Mostly.

Those Girls sure were easy on the eye. Well, most of the time. Even when Lorelai was supposed to look awful, she still looked GREAT.

nice boots

It’s the cowboy boots that really set that look off.

But there were times when they didn’t look so hot. Here’s one for the real geeks and style aficionados. When did they look their worst?

My pet turn-off was this ensemble from series six, where Rory wears a dirty cardboard box…

khaki? cacky more like

… with Lorelai’s get-up in the Mother-Daughter fashion combo a close runner-up. Ugh, I’m dry retching just writing this.

no no no

Deep breaths.  Y’know it’s a credit to the wardrobe department that these were only so jarring because the fashion faux pas were so few.

So when do you think the girls looked their prettiest?  Favourite outfits?  Will any of the Lorelai-lovers ‘fess up a preference between the pink dream-sequence negligee and the black one?  I double-dare you.

There were a couple of weird episodes where Lorelai and Sookie appeared to have been visited by the botox fairy – needless to say, quite unnecessarily. The boys never seemed to look that different, did they? Except maybe when Lorelai dressed Luke up in black – or he was shirtless in bed…  I just thought, Jackson’s wrestling pyjamas would make a stunning cosplay outfit.  Comfy, too.

To finish with, that perennial question: Rory – Long tresses in an Alice band… or short grown-up bob?

(In case you’re wondering, yes, I did check that the plural of ‘faux pas’ is ‘faux pas’.  After that whole culs-de-sac incident I wasn’t taking any chances.)

Pics c/o The WB/The CW

Rich

Rich originally began contributing to GIlmore News as 'Dairyman' in 2013, a reference to the character Dairyman Dick in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (call me Rich). Here in the UK we were late to the Gilmore party and I don't remember what made me watch my first episode - the one where Lorelai picks Rory up from the police station after she and Logan steal a yacht - but I remember watching it again immediately. And then again. Thankfully, the next show was on the next day and I watched that one three times too. And then the boat one again. I couldn't believe the dialogue was so quick and so funny and I pretended to myself that I was only watching it so I could figure out who I was more keen on - the mom or the daughter. I swore that Aaron Sorkin must have been involved but I couldn't find his name attached anywhere, even on the internet. So I watched and loved and laughed and cried and the day after the series finale, they ran the entire show from the beginning again and Rory turned into a baby so then I was all about Lorelai. Lauren Graham is astonishing ("Mother: Breathtaking") and the show was - and is - lightning in a bottle. It's a treasure for those who watch and get swept up in it, like I did and like the readers of Gilmore News. It's heartbreak and chicken soup, family dysfunction and blind optimism, lighthearted romanticism and balls-out brilliant. Thanks to Arieanna and gilmorenews.com for letting me squat and allowing my inner Gilmore Geek out for air. I worry how it would otherwise manifest.

15 thoughts on “Those Good Lookin’ Girls… Well, Mostly.

• July 16, 2014 at 6:28 am

Sorry, Alexis can wear a burlap sack for all I care whether as Rory or otherwise. I usually prefer her hair longish but we’re splitting, uh, hairs here.

• July 16, 2014 at 6:33 am

Of course I love GG fashion, I troll ebay to find matching outfits. One of my favorite Lorelai tops is the one blue blouse she wore in Season 5 Episode 1, “Say Good-Bye to Daisy Miller”. It was the blouse she wore the next day after the Dragonfly test run. I have yet to find it on ebay, sadly though. I love Rory’s fashion sense in the later seasons, as she starts to mature and wear more “grown-up” clothes, like blouses, skirts, and boots.
    One of the things I loved about the GG wardrobe, especially in the beginning, was that they wore some of the same clothes more than once. In real life we don’t just wear something once and then give it away…it make the show more authentic, more believable. There was even a sweater that I saw was wore by Lorelai, Rory, and Lane, which I thought was totally awesome! Towards the end of the series when they started wearing Marc Jacobs, Prada, and other couture brands it became really hard to believe that these girls could wear $300 sweaters only once on their budget.

• July 16, 2014 at 10:06 am

Laurelai as rodeo bareback rider…..a fashion highlight of the series.
    Rory in a shout-out to Benjamin from the graduate….thought the fashion choice fit her depressed mood and still looked good at the same time.
    Larelai and Emily as Nancy Regan knockoffs……yea, that was just plain silly.

Best Looks: Laurelai had too many to choose from. For Rory, always liked the “You Jump Jack” dress and Rory in Lorelai’s dress for the “Cudos for the Duck” speech–

• July 16, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Wonder Y :D

Alysia – I’d forgotten you were the inspiration for this post, so thank you!The whole beginning of that episode makes me sad.

Man, I just had a look for that aquamarine shirt and I’m guessing this hobby of yours keeps you out of trouble for weeks at a time. Did you ever think about making one? I had a go at making a dress recently… I could blog about sewing machine feet now. Y’know I never knew their clothes went designer! Guess they sold up, rather than sold out.

Mcityrk – ‘Kudos for the duck’ was a very grown up outfit, which perfectly matched Rory’s (eventual) rebellious face-off with her grandparents. Nice choice.

I just happened across the ‘Inspired by Gilmore Girls’ blog, which picks an outfit each for Lorelai and Rory for each episode, as well as a dish and recipe. Inspired indeed :O) Check it out: http://inspiredbygilmoregirls.blogspot.co.uk/ (Alysia, if you haven’t already discovered this site, I apologise in advance for your upcoming re-mortgage)

• July 17, 2014 at 4:46 am

I have thought about it, but my “sewing room” is completely filled with junk (we’re remodeling), so for right now I can’t do any sewing:-( And I’ve added inspired by Gilmore girls to my home screen on my phone!!! Right next to Gilmore News:-)

• July 18, 2014 at 6:10 pm

When did they look their worst?? In the generic sense just about every evening or morning after a breakup. And double the damage when excessive amounts of alcohol were involved, like Rory after the founders day punch or Lorelai after Lane’s wedding.

Another irritating look was the passively wimpy dress Rory was wearing when Dean came over to talk and/or con her into her unplanned [??] trip to Fiji.

• July 19, 2014 at 10:03 am

I loved Lorilei in the lavender dress at her wedding shower to Max when she was color coordinated with everything… even the cookies! I did NOT like Rory’s look at the party thrown by the Gilmores where Emily “accesorized” Rory with diamond necklace, tiara, and the updo hair… Rory seemed a little comfortable with it all, to the point of leaving tiara on during entire evening and limo ride home.

• July 21, 2014 at 4:17 pm

The male Yale outfit was undoubtedly the most rediculous thing either of the girls wore in the entire series and one suspects that was the point…..ostentatious snobbery at its best and all courtesy of Emily who in one evening managed to 1] not only intefere but pull her own Miss Celine routine on Rory leading to 2] the inevitable boyfriend freakout and sprint for the hills leaving 3] Rory and her new “friends” to get plastered. The triple wammy. Probably a good thing we did not see her fashion choice the next morning, would have been sad!!

• July 22, 2014 at 10:57 am

Also I liked Lorelai / Lauren in glasses. Like, really liked.

• July 22, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Like how Richard didn’t want Emily to get LASIK surgery because he liked her in glasses?

• July 22, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Where’s the emoticon for girlish giggle?

• August 9, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Okay a couple random loves/hates as far as outfits are concerned:

Lorelai: I loved Lorelai in this red lace tank top that she wore in the Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of summer episode in season 3. In the next episode, the Haunted Leg, I love the outfit Lorelai wears to her parents house for dinner (when Chris comes over and everyone melts down.) I loved the yellows reds with the black skirt. I also like the outfit she is wearing when Luke buys a house and Jess comes over to clean the rain gutters. She is sitting on the couch at one point reading a magazine… I like the the slimming black turtle neck. (I notice the Gilmore Girls wear turtlenecks a lot.) In the season 3 Swan Somg episode, she wears a blue long sleeved high cut shirt with a sheer v-neck to Friday night dinner. Love that.
    I didn’t like when Lorelai wore anything that made her look bigger than she is. I didn’t like her pinstripe pants, I didn’t like her pink poodle sweater in season 2 “It should have been Lorelai”, and I didn’t like it whenever she would wear a collared shirt with a sweater vest over it. I think there were other looks that suited her better than that.

Rory: I loved Rory in one of her outfits in the Swan Song episode as well. She’s wearing a knee length brownish skirt. Her shirt is awesome and unique… Long sleeves, loose at the hems, blue, with a literal “lace up” neck line. Also, season 3 2nd episode Rory also wears a light blue quarter-sleeve lengthed shirt with a darker, floral skirt to a Friday night dinner and I love that combo. I also liked the outfit she was wearing when she first met Dean: red sweater with black skirt, black boots, and black tights. I I like the fall, sweater-skirt-tights-boots ensembles that Rory often sports during her first few months of college.
    Rory wore some pretty yucky bottoms in the first couple of seasons that were just bad- green cargos, bulky khakis, or slightly oversized jeans. In season one, what she wore to her anniversary night with Dean I don’t think looked good on her (pink tank top style dress.) Her top when she first met Jess in season 2 when she was in her room on her laptop was really old-fashioned and didn’t flatter her. Also, the fringe rose shirt that she wore in the Tisket-Tasket basket episode was bleh (even laughable.) I also did not like the outfit she was wearing before she slept with Dean.
    So boom. There’s my rundown.