Is Michel Gay Or Just French?

Stars Hollow and the world of Gilmore Girls revolved around relationships, but never included an openly gay character or relationship. For heaven’s sake, the guys in the Bunheads ballet troupe came off more testosteroney than some of the camp, eccentric and colourful characters in the Hollow. Do you think any of the Gilmore Girls characters was genuinely closeted?

There were a number of secondary characters whose backstories were never told. Andrew for instance, the bookseller at Stars Hollow Books who made a fine hunk (of marble) as Poussin’s statue, Moissonneur or ‘The Reaper’.

not so bookish

How about Michel? His love for Céline Dion was legendary…

Michel: I have been waiting forever to get this close to Céline. Oh, my god, I’m shaking like a leaf. What should I wear? What would Céline like me in?

…but his mannerisms often seemed to be attributed to his general eccentricities. Gypsy the mechanic never seemed to be with anyone but she also never seemed to need to be with anyone. Tobin the night desk clerk? Sookie’s midwife doula, Bruce? Or Brad, Rory’s classmate and one-time Broadway starlet?

Brad: Through good times and bad, Chilton formed us, brought us hope, honed our insight, gave us encouragement. Though my time here was briefly interrupted by my period spent on Broadway hanging out with Stephen Sondheim, I still consider Chilton the most rewarding experience of my young life. Now it had always been my plan in closing to recite a short poem I’d written.
Louise: (to Madeline) But you reconsidered.
Madeline: Come on, Brad. Go out a winner.
Brad: But as I read it aloud, I realized the sentiments I wanted to share with my fellow students were better expressed in a favourite song of mine. [He sings] Cherish is the word I use to describe… Bong, bong. Bong, bong.
Rory: Oh, Brad.

For a show that was all about relationships, was a gay coupling noticeably absent? What difference would having an openly gay character or couple in the recurring cast have made? Who do you think might have been closeted?  Or nobody?  Was Michel gay, just French or something else altogether?

throwing shapes

Pic c/o TheWB

Rich

Rich originally began contributing to GIlmore News as 'Dairyman' in 2013, a reference to the character Dairyman Dick in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (call me Rich). Here in the UK we were late to the Gilmore party and I don't remember what made me watch my first episode - the one where Lorelai picks Rory up from the police station after she and Logan steal a yacht - but I remember watching it again immediately. And then again. Thankfully, the next show was on the next day and I watched that one three times too. And then the boat one again. I couldn't believe the dialogue was so quick and so funny and I pretended to myself that I was only watching it so I could figure out who I was more keen on - the mom or the daughter. I swore that Aaron Sorkin must have been involved but I couldn't find his name attached anywhere, even on the internet. So I watched and loved and laughed and cried and the day after the series finale, they ran the entire show from the beginning again and Rory turned into a baby so then I was all about Lorelai. Lauren Graham is astonishing ("Mother: Breathtaking") and the show was - and is - lightning in a bottle. It's a treasure for those who watch and get swept up in it, like I did and like the readers of Gilmore News. It's heartbreak and chicken soup, family dysfunction and blind optimism, lighthearted romanticism and balls-out brilliant. Thanks to Arieanna and gilmorenews.com for letting me squat and allowing my inner Gilmore Geek out for air. I worry how it would otherwise manifest.

15 thoughts on “Is Michel Gay Or Just French?

• June 18, 2014 at 10:10 am

Of course not, he’s a stud either way ;O)

• June 18, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Yeah, I prefer it being ambiguous. Not every question needs to be answered.

• June 18, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Yes/no, kind of besides the point as the writers never specifically went there and we probably would still like the characters whatever the specific answer.

However, it could be argued [and some did vehemently so many years ago on this blog] that the topic was usually breached only as a somewhat tone-deaf punch-line that was not all that funny: as in the cases of the girls at spring-break faking it to get guys attention, or Lorelai teasing Rory about the remote possibility that Buff Otis was interested in her as more than just a subject for the living-picture pagent, or various mentions by band members or the LDB contingent that something they didn’t approve of was “gay”.

• June 19, 2014 at 3:17 am

haha, funny to read this!
    when i watched it for the first time, i tought for years, michel is gay. but then (i dont know when, the later seasons) he said that hes going on a date with a ‘lady’
    and i thought: wow, michel isn’t gay – he’s just french :D

i don’t know what it sounds like in america or other countries, but if a french person speaks german….it sound really funny.

i doesnt matter if hes gay or not, but i often think that, an then he talks about a women an i think: oh, yeah, right, hes not :D

• June 22, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I kind of always thought Michel was not closeted, but just gay…he didn’t talk about his personal life that much so I chalked it up to that. But I agree with Michelle, I heard Michel speak of going on a date with a female in an episode, so who knows! I remember “googling” it to see of anyone else thought he was gay. Didn’t find a whole lot. In the “Gilmore girls’ Companion” book, Rose Abdoo (Gypsy) said of her character that she felt like she was gay, and maybe even had a crush on Lorelai. Now when I go back and rewatch the series I look for subtle clues of Gypsy’s little thing for Lorelai…

• June 22, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Ohhh and Taylor, I think he was asexual, like an ameba or something.

• June 24, 2014 at 1:28 am

Ha! Even with Taylor’s sexy beard?

It makes me sad to think Gypsy ever pined over Lorelai. She could have hooked up with one of Emily’s maids. Come to think of it, perhaps Emily’s maids found out something in the Gilmore household they shouldn’t have, hence their shortlived stints…

Michelle – maybe he’s bi?

• June 25, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Aren’t we all a little “bi” though ;-)

• June 27, 2014 at 2:08 am

Well I’d certainly never admit it in a public place like the Internets :D

• April 6, 2015 at 11:36 pm

I think it would’ve been awesome to have an openly gay couple in Gilmore Girls! I think Michelle may have portrayed a gay character. Besides his love for Celien Deon he also has a great sense of fashion, attended Loraleis bachelorette party and his dancing skills! Maybe it would have reached out to more people? I’m personally straight but I’m pro gay marriage and have a few really good friends who are. it doesn’t make them a bad person, everyone deserves to be happy. <3

• April 7, 2015 at 9:53 am

Hey Ashley, welcome to our ever-growing gang of commenters! I admit that I own a Celine Dion CD, post-Beauty and the Beast, pre-Titanic. Wait, did I say that out loud?

• Pingback: ‘Gilmore Girls’ Michel Wasn’t Necessarily Gay, But Sookie Was Supposed To Be | News

• July 16, 2015 at 10:40 pm

I personally agree with Ashley! I also think it would have been kind of funny and interesting to have a gay couple on the show, and even more funny and interesting for it to be Michel.
    I’m totally straight and support gays, but it would have been a really good switch in the story for Michel to be gay and french, not just french.

I also agree with Alysia about Tayor, he never showed any interests nor respect towards women nor men, and that would’ve been another interesting switch.

• July 21, 2015 at 11:45 am

Hallo Daniela, hope you’ve been making yourself at home…