How Bad Could The Gilmore Girls Movie Be?

I’ve been thinking that maybe we don’t really want a movie. How could it ever live up to expectations? For the moment at least, we have the knowledge that the final season and episode could have been better. But if we actually received another chapter, with a genuine Amy Sherman-Palladino ending, it’d be properly final. That’d be it.

at least he spelled his name right

It might not have ended on a total high for everyone’s tastes but it wasn’t a total… phut, y’know? Other shows ended far worse, dragged way past their best before dates. I remember dreading miserable episodes of Heroes and The West Wing. And Felicity‘s final series was infuriating – by the end it was like JUST PICK ONE I DON’T CARE ANY MORE.

What if the studio had ended Gilmore Girls after season one? Shows cut off in their prime after a single series are talked about long after their premature ejection. Bunheads, Firefly, Freaks and Geeks… all great shows that never lived long enough to fail. With only one season, would we still be talking about it?

Then there are the great shows that ended right. Recently, Breaking Bad and True Detective done good. Dawson’s Creek had an awful final series but creator Kevin Williamson came back to write the final awesome two-part episode. I think that would have been ideal for Gilmore Girls.

But enough couldawouldashoulda. With time having passed, nobody getting younger and times having changed, perhaps it’s better to have the promise that it could have been great, than to actually have an ending and it be both final and… out of time? But Amy wouldn’t do it if it had any chance of being bad, right?

Perhaps Veronica Mars will save us all, by delivering what the fans want and showing the network that there’s money in them hills. Then we’d see. The Sex In The City finale didn’t have the emotional punch in the gut I was expecting, but the movie saved it. The first movie, anyway.

Could a Gilmore Girls movie actually make things worse? Is it too late? What other shows did you think deserved another chapter? And which ones became visits to the dentist?

Pic c/o The WB and Kirk Gleason. Topic heavily influenced by our wonderful commenters.

Rich

Rich originally began contributing to GIlmore News as 'Dairyman' in 2013, a reference to the character Dairyman Dick in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (call me Rich). Here in the UK we were late to the Gilmore party and I don't remember what made me watch my first episode - the one where Lorelai picks Rory up from the police station after she and Logan steal a yacht - but I remember watching it again immediately. And then again. Thankfully, the next show was on the next day and I watched that one three times too. And then the boat one again. I couldn't believe the dialogue was so quick and so funny and I pretended to myself that I was only watching it so I could figure out who I was more keen on - the mom or the daughter. I swore that Aaron Sorkin must have been involved but I couldn't find his name attached anywhere, even on the internet. So I watched and loved and laughed and cried and the day after the series finale, they ran the entire show from the beginning again and Rory turned into a baby so then I was all about Lorelai. Lauren Graham is astonishing ("Mother: Breathtaking") and the show was - and is - lightning in a bottle. It's a treasure for those who watch and get swept up in it, like I did and like the readers of Gilmore News. It's heartbreak and chicken soup, family dysfunction and blind optimism, lighthearted romanticism and balls-out brilliant. Thanks to Arieanna and gilmorenews.com for letting me squat and allowing my inner Gilmore Geek out for air. I worry how it would otherwise manifest.

24 thoughts on “How Bad Could The Gilmore Girls Movie Be?

• June 3, 2014 at 8:27 pm

I would still like a GG movie, but I agree that it wasn’t a bad ending. When the 7th season was airing, I really felt like you could tell a difference between that season and the previous ASP seasons. Now, as I watch my season 7 DVDs, I don’t see that difference as much as I used to. I got used to the feel of season 7 and while I would love a trip back to Stars Hollow, I’m happy with how the show ended.
    How I Met Your Mother should have ended earlier than it did. And the finale was horrible. I’m still pretty upset with it months after the finale. Joan of Arcadia needed at least one more season. It was cancelled after season 2 and ended on a cliff hanger.

• June 4, 2014 at 8:41 am

I think the advantage of a movie would be that Amy Sherman-Palladino could write the end before they actually start shooting the beginning. I know there’s this whole last four words myth, but I sometimes wonder how much was already thought out (I mean, from what I understand, Luke was originally supposed to be a woman…..). As I said before, I didn’t find the last episode that bad, I’d even say it was among the least frustrating ones I’ve seen. The problem is that it was supposed to work as both season end (in case there would be more) and series finale (in case there wouldn’t). Therefore, it didn’t really feel as the definitive final conclusion of the story, but didn’t left much more to say neither. Having said that, it could have been much worse (what if it ended after season five? Or six?). At least it did feel like an ending. And it came before all interest was gone. I can’t say how House ended (or even if it is over by now, actually), I just couldn’t force myself to watch it anymore.

Still, I’m all for a movie, assuming ASP would spend as much time trying to solve the conflicts between the characters than she does creating them in the first place. But I can live without it. And, to be completely honest, I personally would be much more interested to see a show like Carnivàle or even My Name Is Earl have a shot at completing their narrative.

• June 5, 2014 at 4:47 pm

1- If the principals were willing to spend the intellectual, emotional, and physical capital necessary to shoot a Gilmore movie or periodic TV updates of where that family currently stands it would have to be pretty good as none would be willing to work that hard to just to draw a check and in the process tarnish their legacy. However with the passage of time Gilmore, would now be in its “14-Up” phase. Go out much longer and the question of who cares rings out louder than before as their window keeps slowly shutting

2- VM was a special case since all its principals were ticked at the way the network shut them down prematurely. As a result they have been strategizing for years a way to come back and kick the network in the backside for being wrong and to right the callous sendoff. I never saw their movie attendance numbers. Did they succeed financially and set the stage for possible comebacks by other series??

3- Multiple visits to the dentist in the last decade. Just about every ABCF long-running series that initially looked good goes out with a wimper not a bang [Wildfire, Kyle XY, Secret Life]. Maybe they will be smart enough to spare PLL a similar fate but would not count on it.

And the majors networks are as bad if not worse, probably because at the end they are so rediculously promoting the “unbelievable conclusion” instead of making sure it’s actually good. By the end of Gossip Girl and even How I Met Your Mother their was so little oxygen left in the writers room that I felt sorry for the actors who had to try and deliver the concluding episodes. I suspect the conclusion of HIMYM is the real reason the spin-off got no traction. Who would waste their time watching a pale repeat of a previously interesting idea that eventually died from boredom??

• June 6, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Hi Lizzie! I never caught Joan of Arcadia but re-watching Sisterhood reminded me I need to!

I watched the pilot of Veronica Mars today and can understand the need for a proper ending if the show didn’t answer everything! The numbers were OK as far as I can tell – somewhat hard for the industry to properly interpret since they released simultaneously in the theatres and at retail. But nothing says it went poorly! I was intrigued to read that it started life as a book and the showrunner actually continued writing and publishing canon after the show ended. Imagine Amy Sherman Palladino publishing Gilmore novels!!

Dany, I lost interest in House too, and Lost. In general, I don’t like when a show feels like it only gives a nod to an ongoing plot in the first and last shows of each season. It turns the rest of the season into padding, especially when each episode is written by a different person. Desperate Housewives, Monk and Castle all felt like that.

• June 6, 2014 at 2:59 pm

It of course would have really been interesting if ASP had written season seven episodes and simultaneously “published’ them online to compete with the new regime’s episodes as they were being shown!!

• June 7, 2014 at 10:02 pm

While I would love a GG movie, I think it may now be too late. The perfect time to do it would have been at the end of the presidential campaign – Lorelai & Luke could have met Rory in Washington at the end of the campaign. When they were engaged, Lorelai & Luke had discussed eloping and they could have done that after meeting Rory in Washington, with Rory being one of the witnesses along with April and/or Jess. The series finished in the right place for me, it just would have been nice to finally see a Lorelai/Luke wedding.

• June 10, 2014 at 7:46 am

I liked the ending. I liked how Rory and Logan didn’t end up together. I like that Rory was single and independent and going off to conquer her dreams. I always felt throughout the show that Lorelai and Rory and all the characters in general dated or were in a relationship too much. I know for writing and interest purposes, romantic plots devices are much more attractive (no pun intended), but I like it when the episode didn’t revolve around a *romantic* relationship ALL the time. I also like the idea of Rory not settling down right away. She is way too smart. In fact I see her not getting married until she is in her 30’s. I related to Rory a lot growing up, she is about the same age as me and I do not feel like I am anywhere near ready to get married. I like the idea of waiting until later to get married. I think Rory would too.
    Sorry I went off on a tangent, but what I am trying to say is the ending is okay with me. Now would I like a movie? Hell yes! I don’t care if it is terrible, I WANT IT!!!! GIVE IT TO MEEEEEE!!!

• June 10, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Alysia, you made me actually LOL. Much appreciated after my ranting this week. If they release the movie at the cinema, let’s all go together and watch all the showings we can fit in on the first day. That’ll be the first Stars Hollow Con. Popcorn and spray cheese.

If Rory had gotten knocked up by any of her beaus, it would have mirrored Lorelai’s own predicament – but because it didn’t happen, I have to agree with you. She’d be sensible and get her career sorted first. I do wonder if she’ll ever rebel against Lorelai, because every kid should. And there’s no rush to get married – look at what happened to Dean. In any case, marriage shouldn’t change a thing between a couple: It’s the kids that change Everything.

Mel – that would have been serendipitious timing… but I’m not giving up hope. I just want a little bit more authentic Gilmore. Whether it’s good or bad, whether it’s a book, a TV movie, an unaired script or a Broadway musical, I don’t care. I’m the guy in the desert who’d drink the sand.

• June 11, 2014 at 6:38 am

Rich-
    Ditto about the kids thing…I assume. I was a nanny right out of college for three children and have been scared away from kids ever since. :-) Kids change everything.

• August 17, 2014 at 8:09 pm

There is a chance it could make it worse for us gg fans. But it also could give us a much needed closure like returning a book or sending back an icecream maker. I for one would love to see what the 7 years brought to the characters lives, and to see cameos from past people. Need a gilmore movie like coffee in the a.m. sidebar firefly was a great show ended too early but they made a movie out of it.

• August 18, 2014 at 11:58 am

Hallo Meg, welcome to the party :O) Firefly also has brilliant occasional comics that (no spoilers, don’t worry) continue the story and explain Shepherd Book’s past. They’re all canon and you can genuinely hear the characters speaking the lines. There’s a six-part series running right now that follows the events in the movie.

After the seventh Harry Potter book, J.K.Rowling began disclosing what the characters ended up doing – Harry becoming an Auror, Hermione working at the Ministry etc. I’d appreciate knowing where the Gilmore characters ended up – from the horse’s mouth (no offence ASP).

• September 22, 2014 at 11:20 am

I would love a Gilmore Girls movie to be made!! But only with the original actors and actresses! It just wouldn’t be the same if any of the characters were played by different people. I really hope all the original actors/actresses would say yes to a Gilmore Girls Movie. Or maybe even starting up the series again, now that would be FANTASTIC! Call me crazy but I still watch the reruns on tv and have the complete series. I am not one to watch soaps on tv but have watched 2 different ones and when the network decided to change the actor it really messed up the story.​

• September 22, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Agreed Colleen (and hi!) – none of the characters, even the secondary characters, could be played by anyone else. The cast is brilliant and continue to be amazing character actors since the show ended.

If watching re-runs is crazy, we’re all certifiable here. Most of us many times over :O)

• October 24, 2014 at 9:36 am

I’m not sure I need a movie. I would however, like to hear from Amy what her vision for season 7 would have been and what her concept of how things turned out would look like. Of course, I would love to see it but I fear it’s just getting too late for that to really be a reality. I watched this show religiously when it was on the air but after it ended, I really didn’t think about it too much. Since it came back on Netflix, I went back and watched it all again. Kind of a cool experience…when I watched it in 2000-2007, my daughter was 2-9 years old. She’s now 16 and watching it again is like watching a whole new show…totally different perspective. Like some of you have said, season 7 was sort of frustrating. I appreciated that Lorelai probably needed to deal with Christopher and really put that relationship to bed (no pun intended). I’m not sure she could ever really be SURE about Luke until she was able to realize that her and Chris were never meant to be. But I wish it could have happened faster and allowed more time for her to repair the relationship with Luke. I normally have no problem with their not being the finality of a wedding…but with this show, it sort of broke my heart that we never got to see a Luke and Lorelai wedding. The town being such a character of the show really needed to have this wedding between their (sort of) king and queen. And because there had been all this build up in season 6 about the plans for the wedding, it was disappointing that we didn’t get to see it. I am just now starting my quest to get the skinny on why things ended as they did. I assume when they filmed the finale they weren’t sure if they were coming back or not? If they weren’t sure, it made sense…if they were sure they weren’t coming back, I think they sort of gypped the fans. I also did not have a problem with Rory and Logan not ending up together…but watching it again, it was sort of weird to me that after all Logan did to keep her off and on through the last 3 seasons, he just said “it’s all or nothing…see ya Rory”. He didn’t even seem sad about it. That is a little weird to me. Anyway, that is my .02.

• October 28, 2014 at 12:00 pm

You re-watched all seven seasons in two weeks?! Nice work G8rMom7. Logan was totally an ass in his final scene but he made it easier to hope that Rory would spread her wings afterwards.

• October 28, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I actually had not planned on watching it when it came on Netflix. I went on one night to watch the finale again because I couldn’t remember exactly how it ended. But then watching the finale, just wasn’t enough, so I watched the last 3 of season 4 on through season 7. Then I threw caution to the wind and went back to watch it from the beginning. As I said, season 1 was totally different to me now that my daughter is 16. I only really remembered a few scenes from those episodes. I did not remember Sookie being as funny as she is in those early episodes. She’s like a female Chris Farley and made my LOL…a lot.

• November 2, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Sorry to barge in, but I do feel that a movie would give us Gilmore Girls fans closure. Maybe we can finally get to see Lorelai get married with a real wedding ceremony and maybe Rory finds a guy or gets back with Logan. I don’t know, those are just some of my thoughts. The show ended with everything left floating in the air..

• November 3, 2014 at 12:53 pm

We love barging in MagdyAnn, we’re all here because we love the show :) I just ordered the 4 Gilmore Girls novels for an extra fix!

• November 3, 2014 at 12:56 pm

G8rmom7, you rock harder than Gil. And he ROCKS

• November 3, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Rich-

Gilmore Girls novels, please elaborate??

• November 25, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Please … please make a movie of the Gilmore Girls … to end … or, to marry Rory to Logan …. and, Lorelei to Luke … no matter how old they had become … to symbolize that rocket gift! The end of the 7th episode just made me soooo sad … it soooo hanging!

• February 15, 2015 at 10:53 pm

I would really, really love a GG movie or special episode made. I watched episodes of it here and there while it was airing back in ’00-’07, when I was in high school/college, but just binge-watched the entire thing on Netflix since Christmas and cannot get my head out of Stars Hollow! :) I hadn’t known the ending before seeing it but had heard lots of complaints.

While I’m happy about where Lorelai and Rory ended up in their relationships with Luke and Logan, I’m not at all satisfied about how little we got to see Luke & Lorelai happy together! I love the whole show and all the characters (except for Dean), but honestly my MAJOR concern and favorite storyline is the Luke/Lorelai relationship. It’s so upsetting that pretty much all of season 7 was wasted on stupid Christopher and April, and after suffering through it all we only get 2 seconds of Luke & Lorelai back together! It’s so so frustrating! I know they didn’t know it was the end, and I know ASP wasn’t there, and yes, they did technically end up together but it just is not satisfying enough. I admire fanfiction writers and the fanfiction universe, but when I have to rely on them for closure it makes me sad!

I think the GG fanbase is strong and with the show being on Netflix, it’s reaching a new generation and actually growing. The desire for more from the fans is there and I believe the idea for a final extended episode, movie or special is relevant! All the questions don’t have to be answered, all the expectations cannot possibly be met, but we CAN get some closure, some fulfillment in knowing that Lorelai, Rory, Luke and the major characters are all right, that they are together and we can see it fleshed out. And maybe hear those final four words? Or not. If ASP writes it, I don’t really care.

• February 16, 2015 at 5:36 am

Preach! Welcome to the site GG1 :O)