In Development! Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 3

We’re a little behind the curve on this one but I only found last week that Alloy Entertainment has started development on Sisterhood Everlasting, the final book in Anne Brashares’ Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants series. this story's got legs The first movie, starring the oh-so-hot foursome of Alexis Bledel (our Rory Gilmore), Amber Tamblyn (Joan of Arcadia), America Ferrera (Ugly Betty) and Blake Lively (Gossip Girl) was released in 2005, its sequel in 2008. This next one is set ten years later, when the girls have naturally gone their separate ways.

In the book, Carmen (the character played by America Ferrera in the previous movies) is now a successful New York actress and engaged. Bridget (Blake Lively) is living in San Francisco with her long time boyfriend. Lena (Alexis Bledel) is taking solace in her art and teaching in Rhode Island, but daydreams about what might have been with Kostos. Tibby (Amber Tamblyn) sends them all plane tickets to reunite with probably life-changing consequences.

Casting is not yet confirmed but Alloy’s president Len Morgenstein said:

The original film brought together an incredible group of talent who we hope to unite for fans once again.

As we know, these girls have been BFFs since the first movie and if schedules allow, I’m sure they’d love to get paid to hang out for a few weeks. The real question is whether that pair of jeans has enough fairy dust to still fit anyone ten years later. I mean, really.

Any big Travelling Pants fans out there? Wouldn’t it be cool to see these gals together on the big screen again, as grown-ups?  Did you think the original cast was well-cast?  Any cynical nonplussers want to weigh in on how the movies didn’t live up to the books – or vice-versa?

Pic c/o Alloy Entertainment

Rich

Rich originally began contributing to GIlmore News as 'Dairyman' in 2013, a reference to the character Dairyman Dick in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (call me Rich). Here in the UK we were late to the Gilmore party and I don't remember what made me watch my first episode - the one where Lorelai picks Rory up from the police station after she and Logan steal a yacht - but I remember watching it again immediately. And then again. Thankfully, the next show was on the next day and I watched that one three times too. And then the boat one again. I couldn't believe the dialogue was so quick and so funny and I pretended to myself that I was only watching it so I could figure out who I was more keen on - the mom or the daughter. I swore that Aaron Sorkin must have been involved but I couldn't find his name attached anywhere, even on the internet. So I watched and loved and laughed and cried and the day after the series finale, they ran the entire show from the beginning again and Rory turned into a baby so then I was all about Lorelai. Lauren Graham is astonishing ("Mother: Breathtaking") and the show was - and is - lightning in a bottle. It's a treasure for those who watch and get swept up in it, like I did and like the readers of Gilmore News. It's heartbreak and chicken soup, family dysfunction and blind optimism, lighthearted romanticism and balls-out brilliant. Thanks to Arieanna and gilmorenews.com for letting me squat and allowing my inner Gilmore Geek out for air. I worry how it would otherwise manifest.

10 thoughts on “In Development! Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 3

• May 8, 2014 at 6:37 am

Apologies, glitch in the matrix meant no Comment-y bit after original publication. Thanks Mcityrk for the heads up. I was going to copy your comment over but I’d have to forge your handwriting, which seems awfully rude.

• May 8, 2014 at 7:25 am

Thanks Rich-

Not a problem.

Don’t know that my original comment fabout the prospect of SOTP 3 rom 6-8 months ago has really changed. Still would want to read the source material as the sequel was weaker than the initial movie and they shifted quite a few things around and clearly rushed that project [AT complained loudly about this after the fact]. Kind of makes it a bit tricky for the original author to write a book 5 just to make a movie unless this has been accounted for.

Let’s see, the sequel was shot in 2007 and shown in 2008. Gilmore also wrapped in 2007. No real queston which project I would rather see an update for, but guess we will take what we can get.

It of course would be crazy to make a third movie unless they had the buy in from all four principals and a storyline that was interesting and not just routine. The description here kind of stikes me as ‘meh’, though I suppose a short description of the first movie might have sounded that way as well. All comes down to execution and to whether the sisters storylines [separate or together] are fun and not cluttered with filler like the second movie. I thought several of the extras from the second movie were way better or more necessary to plot description than a lot of the sements in the actual movie.

• May 12, 2014 at 6:07 pm

You have to remember that the first two movies were trying the cover three or four books, so what seemed like filler was actually backstory. I’ve read all of the books, and I definitely think that there’s enough depth to the final book to have a good movie without much clutter.

• May 12, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Also, the pants were lost by Lena’s little sister in the 2nd movie, so no worries about no one being able to fit in them.

• May 13, 2014 at 2:40 am

Thank you saharasiren! You’ve whetted my appetite for a third movie. If this was a highbrow blog we’d equate the sadly lost pants to the girls’ farewell to innocence and youth but instead we wonder if there was a matching jean jacket that was evil.

• May 13, 2014 at 7:14 am

I read the first four books as well and my specific objection was they significantly changed the backstory for Bridget and filled it with pablum, sanitized Lena’s backstory with the artist, overempasized Carmen’s theater backstory which I found the least interesting of the subplots, and only inserted Lena’s little sister to trigger the loss of the pants and the reunion of the girls in Greece after totally ignoring Effie in the first movie.

Most of the problem of course was they had so much material to chose from to shoehorn into the last two hour movie and in my view they did a very marginal job.

• May 15, 2014 at 9:48 pm

I’ve read all 5 books, I think there is definitely enough material for a third movie.
    However, I really do hope they do a better job of the third movie than they did the second. The second seemed too rushed and no where near as good as the books.

On a different note, I think the choice of cast was pretty good considering most movies based on books don’t have actors/actresses that actually resemble the characters in the book.

• June 4, 2014 at 12:11 am

Re-watched the first one last night. I think the casting was spot on. Alexis is amazing in her role, suitably chaste. Blake nails the carefree attitude but has weird arms when she runs. And she runs a lot. America Ferreira is the heart of the movie and displays real range. And Amber is great as the tomboy who gets softened up. It’s a nice coming of age movie with a unique conceit. A sequel set ten years later would be apt, since the first one was about life experiences changing you and getting older. What else has happened in the intervening years, how else have they changed and tantalisingly, how have they stayed the same?

• June 5, 2014 at 6:24 pm

The fifth book was beautiful and absolutely heart breaking. I’d see it but only with a box of kleenexes.

• June 6, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Sounds good :O) Last book that had me blubbering was ‘These Is My Words’ by Nancy Turner. Very, very good.