You Wanna Discuss Something?

Hello all!  Rich here.  I’ve had the privilege of posting here for over three score blogs now and it’s been an absolute indulgence to postulate out loud on Rory’s Kindle, derive dating tips from Lorelai’s wise words and be tickled by the sheer expanse of Gilmore Girls fandom.  I’m still blown away whenever anyone takes the time to leave a comment, letting me know someone’s out there listening to these random thoughts that would otherwise just echo… echo… echo…

best doggy swami ever

Today I’d like to pick your brains, dear reader and ask… ‘what would you like to talk about?’  Is there an avenue of thought that you’ve always wanted to discuss, some foible of a character or actor that never seemed right?  Or some moment of Palladino brilliance that nobody gets but you?  I’d love to know – and maybe kick off some enjoyable conversations.

Perhaps the show inspired you to do something or got you through a difficult time.  Perhaps you once spent a gay old time reverse-engineering the ‘Rory’ cocktail or memorising her graduation speech.  Or both.  (Look, it was a cold wet weekend and there was literally nothing else to do.  Don’t judge me.)

I invite you to share your passions.  After my airing and sharing of Bunheads, my big question was ‘would Rory ever have a Kindle?’ but then I wrote that and in the year since, I’ve been venting my inner geek and thought you might like to, too.  It’s a sorta therapy.

Sit back and tell me all about it.

Pic c/o The WB

Rich

Rich originally began contributing to GIlmore News as 'Dairyman' in 2013, a reference to the character Dairyman Dick in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (call me Rich). Here in the UK we were late to the Gilmore party and I don't remember what made me watch my first episode - the one where Lorelai picks Rory up from the police station after she and Logan steal a yacht - but I remember watching it again immediately. And then again. Thankfully, the next show was on the next day and I watched that one three times too. And then the boat one again. I couldn't believe the dialogue was so quick and so funny and I pretended to myself that I was only watching it so I could figure out who I was more keen on - the mom or the daughter. I swore that Aaron Sorkin must have been involved but I couldn't find his name attached anywhere, even on the internet. So I watched and loved and laughed and cried and the day after the series finale, they ran the entire show from the beginning again and Rory turned into a baby so then I was all about Lorelai. Lauren Graham is astonishing ("Mother: Breathtaking") and the show was - and is - lightning in a bottle. It's a treasure for those who watch and get swept up in it, like I did and like the readers of Gilmore News. It's heartbreak and chicken soup, family dysfunction and blind optimism, lighthearted romanticism and balls-out brilliant. Thanks to Arieanna and gilmorenews.com for letting me squat and allowing my inner Gilmore Geek out for air. I worry how it would otherwise manifest.

9 thoughts on “You Wanna Discuss Something?

• November 13, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Echo……echo….echo. I know the feeling. In the “only new content is king”, “what have you done for me lately”, “I want it now” world we live in, it is easy to forget to slow down and enjoy the simple pleasures of the recent past or even the immediate present. Thus, six years after the fact Gilmore still serves as this potent elixir for me. Like Rory discovers in 5.10 “But Not as Cute as Pushkin” the tactile feel of a good book is a pleasure that seems to have been a forgotten experience by most.

What is that “crazy old man” talking about you say?? Simply that in a manner reminiscent of rummaging through the stacks in my old graduate school library, there is a wonderful mostly undiscovered resource now at our fingertips in the archives of this site to lead one through all the past episodes of Gilmore as well as the usually cogent discussions, dissections, arguments and insights associated with these episodes and the characters/actors that brought ASP’s vision into being. I am always a little surprised that new visitors to the site don’t seem to notice this and attempt to reinvigorate an old discussion point. Just because there has been no progression of the storyline in what seems forever, doesn’t mean people won’t find something new or interesting to say.

As for me, I had forgotten the content of the “Kindle” thread referenced this week until going back and re-reading it. One of the better ones IMHO as it later led into the topic that always brings on maximum discussion – If/when/what will be contained in the forever wished for Gilmore reunion movie. And that led to a later mostly undiscovered thread that I particularly enjoyed participating in.

As to future discussions, past history indicates that I will be willing to discuss just about anything Gilmore. Suggestions you say? Pick up a copy of AS Berman’s “The Gilmore Girls Companion” to serve as a cheat sheet in discussing episodes [either chronologically or “what about ??” threads.]. And with Twitter now going mainstream with their current IPO, use it as a template for writing a collaborative treatment of a movie or new episodes. How might that work? Someone kick out a starting premise of 140 words or less and see who [if anyone] is willing to pick it up and start filling in the details using a series of tweet length commentary. The trick of course is to find enough folks willing to play that the tread doesn’t peter out as at least 5+ additional voices should be required before someone gets to kick in their next contribution. Oh well, just a thought!! Still enjoy the show and the ongoing “Tuesday night” discoveries. Cheers–

• November 15, 2013 at 1:48 am

I’m re-watching some season 3 currently being re-aired on 5* in the UK – the 24 hour dance marathon, Jess and Rory’s kiss at Gypsy’s re-filling station and Dean shutting his bedroom window in Rory’s face (quite rightly – dude is hurt). This combined with commenters still pushing him off the cliff from three blogs ago, I’m gonna build a Dean fort. I’m thinking a Dean redemption story: Dean Redeemed. Re-deaned. I’ll work on it.

Thanks for the support mcityrk and all you wonderful commenters. The site is only as strong as our readership and our discussions are a vital – and for my part, enjoyable – ingredient of this Gilmore Girls Community. Flipping through our archive reminds me we’ve built something good here, sometimes even of quality (moreso when Arieanna was wearing the boots) and even an efficient turn of phrase. I’m proud of it and y’all should be too.

A Twitter collaboration would be intriguing and possibly a fun game though Fanny’s (Bunheads) words echo, ‘Art is not democratic’. It would require a sensible quorum and perhaps Paris to be captain / dictator. 140 characters, hmm… Did we ever play Gilmore Zombie Girls?

• November 15, 2013 at 2:54 am

Oh man, Gilmore Zombie Girls……that would combine two of my favorite shows ever (Gilmore Girls and Walking Dead). That being said, I’m not sure I want to see some of my favorite characters from Stars Hollow turn into walking corpses and being shot in the head by their loved ones while they’re trying to eat them (then again, last seasons of Gilmore Girls felt a little bit like that sometimes….pretty much all seasons if we’re talking about Lorelai and her parents). Or maybe Gilmore Zombie Girls could look more like Shaun Of The Dead (if you didn’t saw that movie yet, watch it now. It’s hilarious). Gilmore Zombie Girls……Rich, my friend, you might be sicker than I am. I feel much better about myself, thanks to you. But if I was in your shoes, I’d start to worry. And I’m with you concerning Dean: The poor guy didn’t deserve all the hate. Okay, he kind of turned into a creep later on, but let’s face it: Rory (and countless other characters-including the main cast) weren’t always much better. And I always liked how Lindsay’s mother lashes out at Lorelai and Rory. It was good to see that, sometimes, these two had to deal with their mess (not that Dean was innocent, but still, he wasn’t alone in this). Oh, and while I’m here: you should be proud. Thanks for keeping this place alive. As Wayne and Garth would say: “we’re not worthy”.

• November 15, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Opps, I was thinking tweets were up to 140 words, not characters, so guess that means its would take up to a thousand instead of 150 contributions to actually clear an episode.

And speaking of Bunheads, any idea what Dames Bishop and Foster as well as the quartet are up to these days in their unfortunately “free” time-

• November 16, 2013 at 2:21 am

Thanks Dany *fist bump*. Zombie Gilmore Girls: would you even be able to tell whether Kirk had turned? I read the first 116 issues of the Walking Dead last week and now I’m jonesing for each new issue. Catching up with series 2 on the TV and word on the street is the upcoming ‘companion’ show could be a prequel.

Nice idea for an article mcityrk, I shall endeavour to enlighten.

• November 17, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Actually, I always thought Kirk kind of reminded me of Brent Spiner’s “Data” from ST-TNG so the diff between alive and minimally sensient would be almost indistinguishable! Are the Walking Dead issues downloadable or do you have to find hard copies of the comic books?

• November 18, 2013 at 8:05 am

If you’ve got some kind of tablet device, you can get up to date and download with an app like Comixology. Hardback-wise, there are two compendiums for the first (nearly) 100 issues although the sheer size can be overwhelming.

Kirk would make Data’s head explode.

• November 18, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Hi Rich-

Thanks for the info. While I have not picked up on TWD as part of my AMC viewing time [already sunk way too much time into Breaking Bad and Mad Men], I did hear [I think on AMC’s Comic-Book Men] that high-grade early editions of these comic books were now going for insane prices while my 7 year old guide shows them as worth nothing more than issue price. Guess that’s what can happen when a property catches fire.

And on a sillier note, I always thought Data’s head was such a black-hole for absorbing/containing information that even an explosion could not escape it and be observed by those on the outside–

• November 19, 2013 at 12:26 pm

My money’s still on Kirk, in less than 10 minutes, to whit:

Lorelai: You know what they say: blood is thicker than water.
    Kirk: Yes but yogurt is thicker than blood.
    Lorelai: Wait… ok, that’s true but… Sookie help me.