The Return of the Gilmore Boys

There’s a veritable Gilmore Girls pickle-fest coming up in the new series of Chosen.  Milo Ventimiglia (Gilmore Girls’ Jess Mariano) stars as a lawyer tasked with becoming an assassin to protect his family.  In season two, he’ll meet Chad Michael Murray (Gilmore’s Tristan DuGrey), a bartender who finds himself in the same predicament.  Here’s a picture of them squabbling over a pistol.

Jess vs Tristan

As if they weren’t enough Gilmore eye candy, Brandon Routh (the naughty frat boy who lures schoolgirls away from Bangles concerts and one-time Superman) is also set to appear in series two.

If memory serves, Jess and Tristan never crossed paths, though they shared Dean as a nemesis.  Most of the young guys did pretty well out of Gilmore Girls, didn’t they?  Milo memorably went super in Heroes, Chad squeezed every last ounce of angst from One Tree Hill, Jared’s still fighting monsters in Supernatural, Adam Brody went to The O.C. and Matt Czuchry is still taking names in The Good Wife

I would have liked to have seen Jess and Tristan face off.  Of all of Rory’s other beaus, I think Tristan could have acquitted himself well against Jess – they were both bad boys.  But would Tristan really have had a chance with Rory? Maybe in a different world, if he hadn’t been all Tristan-y.

Who was your favourite Gilmore Boy, be it main cast or teeny tiny cameo?  Pick three: one to kiss, one to marry and one to push off a cliff.  My three… Richard (man of experience), Digger (makes me laugh) and Dean (I’ll build my own car thankyouverymuch).

Pic c/o Cracked and The Hollywood Reporter exclusive.

Rich

Rich originally began contributing to GIlmore News as 'Dairyman' in 2013, a reference to the character Dairyman Dick in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (call me Rich). Here in the UK we were late to the Gilmore party and I don't remember what made me watch my first episode - the one where Lorelai picks Rory up from the police station after she and Logan steal a yacht - but I remember watching it again immediately. And then again. Thankfully, the next show was on the next day and I watched that one three times too. And then the boat one again. I couldn't believe the dialogue was so quick and so funny and I pretended to myself that I was only watching it so I could figure out who I was more keen on - the mom or the daughter. I swore that Aaron Sorkin must have been involved but I couldn't find his name attached anywhere, even on the internet. So I watched and loved and laughed and cried and the day after the series finale, they ran the entire show from the beginning again and Rory turned into a baby so then I was all about Lorelai. Lauren Graham is astonishing ("Mother: Breathtaking") and the show was - and is - lightning in a bottle. It's a treasure for those who watch and get swept up in it, like I did and like the readers of Gilmore News. It's heartbreak and chicken soup, family dysfunction and blind optimism, lighthearted romanticism and balls-out brilliant. Thanks to Arieanna and gilmorenews.com for letting me squat and allowing my inner Gilmore Geek out for air. I worry how it would otherwise manifest.

16 thoughts on “The Return of the Gilmore Boys

• October 15, 2013 at 11:14 am

To me the men in GG fit into three categories
    1. Heroes: Luke, Richard, and Dave
    2. Comic Relief: Kirk, Jackson, Michel, etc.
    3. Pathetic losers unworthy of the ladies they were wooing (everyone else)
    so an FMK list is pretty boring.

• October 16, 2013 at 10:58 am

Kiss Tristan cos he looks like he knows a thing or two.

Marry Luke or Jess, or preferably a hybrid of them both. The leather meets the plaid. yes please

Push Dean off a cliff because he is too hormonal, he could use a dip

There are a lot of men I would like to kiss though. Zach, Gill, Dave, Richard, Max, Finn….

The best cast ever!

• October 21, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Dunkables:

Among the guys – Strobe [over and over again], Mitchem [more than occasionally], Christopher occasionally, all of the younger boyfriends at one time or another [particularly Tristan, Logan, and Dean].

Among the ladies: Lindsay [most thankless charicature in the entire series], the SH stepford moms and pilot episode classroom bimbettes, Honor’s entire wedding party [preferably in a nearly frozen over lake], Laurelai’s old “friend” at Trix’s wake.

Heroes:

No one really qualifies, all were flawed [sometimes deeply so] and carrying baggage which could pop up at almost any time resulting in self destruction to themselves and those closest to them.

And let’s not forget that some of the “pathetic” behavior referenced above was at times borderline excusable reactions to the cha-cha-cha routine of the two heroines in enjoying the relationship ride as long as possible but then getting run-away-bride syndrome when it got down to crunch time. When one or both parties don’t really know what they want, disaters seem inevitable.

• October 22, 2013 at 10:10 am

@Sarah – glad to hear you’re not choosy :O)

And I can’t agree more with your choice of ladies @mcityrk. Some of those were just… just awful.

• October 22, 2013 at 11:42 am

@mc
    Heroes can still be flawed. In fact many plots are built around exploring the hero’s flaws.

• October 22, 2013 at 6:19 pm

@Y

Agree in principle, just didn’t usually see the character’s flaws in Gilmore being explored in ways that permitted them to try to become better people [i.e. striving for heroism]. Even seemed like the Gilmore family and Duke’s flaws were usually played down if not downright ignored while the other character’s flaws were plot convieniences allowing them to be written out of the series without ticking off the viewers.

• October 27, 2013 at 5:05 pm

For me they order is 1. Marry-Logan 2. Kiss-Jess 3. Push off a cliff-Either Jason or Dean (I always found him to protective, as if Rory was his property)

• October 29, 2013 at 11:42 am

Mcityrk, I think it’s tricky with a prickly character like Jess or Tristan to change their spots. In becoming de-prickled and better people, they’re no longer what they were intended to be, throwing off the balance. Paris is a quandary to me, a seemingly unlikeable person that I still enjoy watching. She’s a work of art.

And Emma, what if Jason shaved? He was funny! And a cheap date.

• November 6, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Kiss: That nice boy at Yale who is Rory’s friend and has a crush on her but she treats him really badly (can’t remember his name damn it…he was cute though!)
    Marry: Jess. Always. Though sometimes maybe Luke when he’s being funny.
    Push off the cliff: Dean. Let’s make it a really BIG cliff.

• November 7, 2013 at 5:00 am

Hahaha! I’m starting to feel sorry for Dean now. Marty wasn’t it?

• November 14, 2013 at 8:57 am

I would definitely go for:

Kissing Christopher, good mix of tenderness, sensuality and values, plus a great smile.

Marrying Jess forever, so I could kiss him every day and not just once… For a life lasting love you need to be physically and mentally attracted and he’s got them all: body (no doubt about it), mind and heart.

Pushing Dean off the cliff, sorry for him but this character is not giving me much.

• Pingback: Redeeming Dean Forester — Gilmore News - Gilmore Girls Community

• January 22, 2014 at 9:53 pm

My 3 would be Tristan (number one, always), Dean, and Luke

• February 7, 2014 at 2:42 am

Kiss: Luke (On the cheek, along with a big hug – love that man too much for words, but as a dad.)

Marry: Jess, Jess, Jess (My husband–then boyfriend–initially hated Jess…and then realized it was because he reminded him too much of himself, which makes sense. Jess would have hated himself too.)

Push off a cliff: Dean (Early on I loved him, but every time I see him yelling at his wife and treating her like a child after what he’d just done…I seriously want to vomit…and visit violence upon him.)

• February 7, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Speaking of Gilmore boys [men], some have shown up recently as TV villians. Danny Strong [Doyle] as a women’s prison guard in the series “Justified”. You can accurately guess which stereotypical behavior he demonstrated in the role. Scott Cohen [Max] as an incompetent lawyer slash killer on “Elementary”. To no surprise both caught a significant comuppance.