All Roads Lead to Luke’s

Hmm. So this was intended to be some pondering about about the Gilmore Girls spin off that never was: Jess’ adventures in Los Angeles AKA Windward Circle. However, aside from this rather disappointing scene, there’s little else to go on. I’m hoping and guessing this was merely discarded on the cutting room floor from the GG episode when Jess goes after his Dad…

In summary, Jess meets some west-coast youngsters who look like Hansen, talk like Shakespeare and pinch his book – the rascals! One of them is alarmingly reminiscent of Luke’s short-lived waiter Brennon, the froggy sandwich boy:

Lorelai: He doesn’t write the orders down, he never brings you food that’s hot or yours, he can’t distinguish bagels from doughnuts, he hands out butt napkins, and he has worn that Foreigner t-shirt every single day since he started working here and he doesn’t know who they are. I asked him.
Luke: What are butt napkins?
s04e09 Ted Koppel’s Big Night Out

But then my head went here, to froggy Brennon’s replacement – Lane:

Rory: Luke brought her in for an interview and everything.
Lorelai: Interview? So official!
Rory: Yeah they sat in complete silence for a full five minutes, then Luke said, ‘How ya doing?’ and she said ‘Good’, and then he gave her the job.

Luke: I’m not even sure why she took the job I mean, I totally blew the interview.
Lorelai: You were nervous.
s04e10 The Nanny and the Professor

… then dawned a realisation and a tangible sense of relaxation for the comfort of Luke’s eponymous diner. What’s your favourite scene in Luke’s? I’m a big fan of the throwaway Luke / Lorelai pre-relationship banter and the missed signals between them that leave you screaming at the telly ‘AW COME ON!’, like their little game of poker or when she helps out in the back:

Lorelai: Can I use the fun cutter thingy?
Luke: Not if you call it the fun cutter thingy.
s01e19 Emily in Wonderland

My standout Luke’s moments: His bike race fury (‘Big hole!’), any time Sookie moonlights behind the counter and of course, Lorelai’s morning floor show.

I had Caesar open...

What’s your favourite Luke’s scene? Let’s say we’re including anything seen (or driven) through the window and I’m purposely omitting my absolute favourite, for someone to read my mind.

Rich

Rich originally began contributing to GIlmore News as 'Dairyman' in 2013, a reference to the character Dairyman Dick in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (call me Rich). Here in the UK we were late to the Gilmore party and I don't remember what made me watch my first episode - the one where Lorelai picks Rory up from the police station after she and Logan steal a yacht - but I remember watching it again immediately. And then again. Thankfully, the next show was on the next day and I watched that one three times too. And then the boat one again. I couldn't believe the dialogue was so quick and so funny and I pretended to myself that I was only watching it so I could figure out who I was more keen on - the mom or the daughter. I swore that Aaron Sorkin must have been involved but I couldn't find his name attached anywhere, even on the internet. So I watched and loved and laughed and cried and the day after the series finale, they ran the entire show from the beginning again and Rory turned into a baby so then I was all about Lorelai. Lauren Graham is astonishing ("Mother: Breathtaking") and the show was - and is - lightning in a bottle. It's a treasure for those who watch and get swept up in it, like I did and like the readers of Gilmore News. It's heartbreak and chicken soup, family dysfunction and blind optimism, lighthearted romanticism and balls-out brilliant. Thanks to Arieanna and gilmorenews.com for letting me squat and allowing my inner Gilmore Geek out for air. I worry how it would otherwise manifest.

14 thoughts on “All Roads Lead to Luke’s

• October 8, 2013 at 4:23 pm

I think the best scene in Lukes Diner is when Jess comes down wearing one of Lukes shirts and goes “what I thought this was the uniform or something”. That scene kills me every time.

• October 8, 2013 at 5:15 pm

A delightfully concentrated servings of “Luke’s” in 2.17 “Dead Uncles and Vegatables” starting with Rory’s manic hounding of Jess to help out in the diner, Lorelai’s crazy turn behind the counter with the jazzy lingo, Emily’s trip to the diner about Sookie’s wedding resulting in the final crack from Luke and Lorelai about the Romanov’s, Taylor’s verbal duel with troubadour #2 about the vegatable cart and how that ended with Taylor looking rediculous [as usual], Jess actually helping grease the setup for the wake get-together, and a final town shout-out to Uncle Louie and all his eccentricities to close out the episode.

And who can forget the opening prologue of the pilot episode.

• October 8, 2013 at 11:23 pm

One of my absolute favourite scenes is ‘Lorelai proposing to Luke’ at the end of season five.

My favourite Rory scene is her and Jess studying before going to get ice-cream and breaking her arm.

One of my least favourite scenes is when Emily is yelling at Luke for not following her advice and Lorelai enters after Luke speed dialing her and she tells her mother to shut up.

• October 9, 2013 at 5:17 pm

so many great lor/luke moments to choose from – this one is very low key, but it always cracks me up – from “that damn donna reed” – lor arrives home, only to find rory’s science project (stella) has escaped – lor is freaking out – she decides to call luke for help:

lor: hello?

luke: yeah.

lor: luke? – stella got out and i don’t know – do i put seed on the floor? – do i make cheeping sounds? – or do i pull a lucy ricardo and walk like a chicken so she thinks i’m her mother?

luke: who the hell is this?

gets me every time :)

• October 11, 2013 at 6:22 am

Speaking of Stella the funniest line was wait you really lost a chick of something like that by luke…
    One of my favorite dinner scenes is when Lorelei borrows Luke’s truck to help move rory into Yale and the whole argument amount the mattress I need the truck.. Then you get the mattress.. I can’t take the mattress the. You can’t have the truck!! We’ve been here before I recognize that tree……

• October 11, 2013 at 11:39 am

My favorite was when the crowd of people from out of town were taking up 2 tables.. Luke was ranting about the crying, sticky babies and how the toys the husbands were bringing in would not work to quiet them. When one of the ladies starts breast feeding one of the babies. Luke looks at Lor begging her to tell the women to stop because she had the same parts, Lor making fun of him that he will be alone for a very long time, with that Jess comes down the stairs sees this and his reaction is truly priceless !!!

• October 12, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Loved career day at the school, when Lorelei dragged Luke to class, and then got hung out to dry by Luke during her presentation. Also loved any scenes in the diner where Luke complains about sticky babies or “jam hands”.

• October 14, 2013 at 10:06 am

You guys crack me up :O)

My favourite moments all revolve around Jess… Jaclyn’s one above with the ‘uniform’; when Rory goes to talk to Jess but changes her mind but he sees her and goes to the door but changes his mind then she nearly goes in then he leaves the shop and runs after her… but then comes back; and I think my all time fave is this, from s03e08 ‘Let The Games Begin’, the day after the 24 hour dance marathon:

Jess: Hi.
    Rory : Hey.
    Jess: Hi.
    Lorelai : Hi.
    Jess: Hi.
    Luke : Hi.
    Rory : I have to get to school.
    Jess: Yeah me too.
    Rory : Bye.
    Jess: Bye. Bye.
    Lorelai : Bye.
    Rory : Bye.
    Lorelai : Bye.
    Rory : Bye.
    Luke : Bye… what the hell was that?

• October 14, 2013 at 1:47 pm

OMG I love that breastfeeding scene too!! Kills me every time. Also Luke vs. the three lawyers. And of course, any time Luke argues with Tom the contractor.

Laura, I LOVE that mattress scene so very much, and I freaking love that Luke brings it up again an entire season later when he fights with Christopher at the wedding. He just won’t let that mattress die omg.

• October 14, 2013 at 3:08 pm

One final chestnut: The girls with Mia in the diner when Taylor comes in, starts arguing with Luke and then is caught short when they catch him in mid-debate..

All of which leads up to the complementary questions: What are the favorite scenes from the Independence Inn or the Dragonfly; and from the town-hall meetings??

• May 22, 2014 at 7:25 pm

OMG There are SO many to choose from!
    Any involving Luke yelling at Taylor are always amusing!

It doesn’t matter how many times I’ve seen GG, still hilarious!

• May 25, 2014 at 8:51 am

I still fantasise about the Monte Cristo sandwich.

• July 4, 2014 at 5:35 am

After Rory and Dean the first break up, Rory is at diner, Luke tris Dean to not enter outside of the diner then that takes fight. Kills me a lot!!

• July 7, 2014 at 4:34 am

Hi Nika :) And Luke and Dean are just fighting in the street! I also like (maybe the same episode) where the girls are looking out the window and playing that game where they have to pick the guy they want to be with. There are only three chances and if they don’t pick one of the first two, they have to have the third.