Alexis Bledel is Favorite for 50 Shades Movie

Share

alexis grey?Yes it’s pure speculation and likely she hasn’t even been asked, but Alexis Bledel is the bookie’s favourite to play the female lead in the upcoming movie adaptation of 50 Shades of Grey.

The notoriously steamy novel by E.L. James revolves around the relationship between 27-year old bazillionaire Christian Grey and recent college graduate Anastasia Steele and if you haven’t read it yet, don’t expect anything until chapter 7.

Alexis’ odds at William Hill are 2/1, with Mila Kunis at 9/2 and Emma Watson at 6/1 (I wonder if they’d get the same odds in an actual foot-race).  Thing is, Alexis’ schedule seems to be filling up already with Fox picking up Us and Them (the US remake of britcom Gavin and Stacey), with Alexis playing Stacey.  Focus Features, the production company behind Lost In Translation and Brokeback Mountain, has set the 50 Shades release date as August 1st 2014.

For my two cents, I could see Alexis playing it – she has the effortless naivete and the acting chops to play an innocent ten years younger than she is – and of course there’s the in-built audience for her playing against type as Rory Gilmore – but I don’t know if it’s the best fit.  As the director of Nowhere Boy, an honest biopic that portrayed the young John Lennon as a charismatic and talented but troubled kid, I would trust Sam Taylor-Johnson to find the guts of the story.

However, I’d suspect a relative unknown to take the lead.  Nobody saw Jennifer Lawrence or Kristen Stewart coming before they were cast in The Hunger Games and Twilight.  Casting any big star would mean some of the more – uh – specific parts of the book would have to be left out.  The expectations of the movie would be ridiculously high and the movie would have to stand alone in its own right.  Anything less than that would tar everyone involved which would be a risk although perhaps in Hollywood, there’s always that risk.

What do you think?  Could she play it?  Should she play it?

Share

Rich

Rich originally began contributing to GIlmore News as 'Dairyman' in 2013, a reference to the character Dairyman Dick in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (call me Rich). Here in the UK we were late to the Gilmore party and I don't remember what made me watch my first episode - the one where Lorelai picks Rory up from the police station after she and Logan steal a yacht - but I remember watching it again immediately. And then again. Thankfully, the next show was on the next day and I watched that one three times too. And then the boat one again. I couldn't believe the dialogue was so quick and so funny and I pretended to myself that I was only watching it so I could figure out who I was more keen on - the mom or the daughter. I swore that Aaron Sorkin must have been involved but I couldn't find his name attached anywhere, even on the internet. So I watched and loved and laughed and cried and the day after the series finale, they ran the entire show from the beginning again and Rory turned into a baby so then I was all about Lorelai. Lauren Graham is astonishing ("Mother: Breathtaking") and the show was - and is - lightning in a bottle. It's a treasure for those who watch and get swept up in it, like I did and like the readers of Gilmore News. It's heartbreak and chicken soup, family dysfunction and blind optimism, lighthearted romanticism and balls-out brilliant. Thanks to Arieanna and gilmorenews.com for letting me squat and allowing my inner Gilmore Geek out for air. I worry how it would otherwise manifest.

9 thoughts on “Alexis Bledel is Favorite for 50 Shades Movie

  • July 3, 2013 at 11:57 am
    Permalink

    Hi Rich-

    Must admit I’m working from a bit of a vacuum here as I have not read the book, just going by hearsay. Still talk about a handicapper playing loose with the odds. Considering the questions of availability, the age mismatches, the proposed topic material and how that might need to be edited, and the fact that EW has just finished playing 2 anti-Hermoine roles, it seems like more realistic odds would be MK at 6/1, EW at 10/1 and AB at 15/1, or coversely about a 70% chance that somebody else plays the role.

    Of course I guess that’s a bookie’s job, toss out a proposition so outrageously weak it’s almost impossible for him to lose money. If he’s quoting an 88% chance that one of the three would get the role, does that mean he’s giving 7/1 on the 12% chance that some unknown in the field gets the role? That’s where I would want to place my money!!

    As to the could she / should she question? Probably but why take the risk of first a tough shoot and then being tossed into the pop culture grinder if the movie succeeds. There are easier ways for an actress to make a living–

    Reply
  • July 3, 2013 at 10:56 pm
    Permalink

    Don’t get me wrong I love Alexis Bledel as an actress, but is she REALLY that well known? If, I talk about her to my friends they don’t know who I am referring to, let alone her Gilmore Girls persona… However, I could be totally wrong here. But what I’m saying is that casting an unknown would work in the favor of Alexis.

    Reply
  • July 7, 2013 at 4:03 pm
    Permalink

    I’ve always google faces to put to characters of the novels I read (if none are provided on the cover). When I looked for faces to put to 50 Shades, I found all of the youtube videos and message board sites where amateurs had already cast all roles, which made it kind of nice.

    I’d never heard of Alexis Bledel before then, but for me, she is Anastasia Steele 110%, in her looks (large, powder blue eyes), her naivete’ (see Post Grad), and her sexuality (see Mad Men). She is striking, as Ana was described in the book. I was unable to picture any other female in the role of Ana.

    I hope she is offered the role of Ana and is able to work it in somehow. If not, an unknown would be best, and should likewise have those striking features–pale blue eyes with dark hair is kind of rare. Anything less would not be believable. Brown Hair/Brown Eyed girls come a dime a dozen…

    Reply
  • July 7, 2013 at 7:44 pm
    Permalink

    She IS Anastasia Steele, and she is (for me) relatively unknown. I didn’t know who she is until I started searching for Miss Steele ;)

    It would be a big mistake if she’s not even asked to play the role.

    Reply
  • July 8, 2013 at 10:28 pm
    Permalink

    The huge fanbase basing on those you-tube videos & consistently topping (w/ a huge gap) on all polls/surveys about potential Anastacia Steele. “says it all”!!!
    But would Alexis even consider it… now that she’s already engaged / getting married soon (sic)?!
    And if she’ll be… she must prolonged her engagement or more like cancel it. Alexis is far too much better in all aspects being w/ that mad man creepy looking co-star now so-called fiancé of her …

    Reply
  • September 3, 2013 at 11:07 am
    Permalink

    As expected, the bookie is wrong again. Charlie looks like an understandable pick, but Don Johnson’s daughter as the heroine? Pretty unknown to me and I do not remember her from the “Scocial Network” but guess that means she’s that much more of an unknown than her mom was in “Working Girl”.

    Reply
    • September 3, 2013 at 11:32 am
      Permalink

      I think it’s right they chose a relative non-name. I think it would have been potential career suicide for anyone else. People’s expectations of the movie will be both strong and diverse. But good luck to them – regardless of the book and its beginnings, I’d trust the director to make a good movie.

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *