The Last Four Words of the Gilmore Girls Movie

matching pouts

Part of the Gilmore Girls mythos is that the show’s creator Amy Sherman-Palladino has the last four words rattling around in her head.  Words that she would have written, had the studio kept her for the final series or asked her to write the final episode.

ASP: When the negotiations [for the final season] got so crazy we thought, Maybe we’re high? Maybe they don’t want it for the next couple of years. But by not having control of that, it shifts the focus of what my last words would have been. I was also holding on to it for a long time because I was thinking if we did do a movie, I would be able to use it there. I don’t think that’s ever going to happen so, I don’t know. Maybe I’ll eventually say the four words. I feel like now I’ll let people down because it’s been so built up. “Really? That’s what we waited all these twelve years for? Well, thanks so much.”

Quote from a terrific interview at Vulture.

Since that quote, we’ve had the Veronica Mars kickstarter and the subsequent outpouring of Gilmore love in response.  We’re also going through this weird Bunheads hiatus and I can’t see ASP twiddling her thumbs waiting for inspiration. Somewhere out there, I’m thinking ideas are knitting together. JK Rowling wrote the final chapter of the seventh Harry Potter book long before the first was even typed up. Gah, it’s such a tease! I can’t help thinking that if you know the destination, you’ve got some idea about the journey.

What do you think those final four words might be?  And who says them?  Get your thinking hats on and browse these last lines of Gilmores past for inspiration:

Series 5:

Lorelai: Luke will you marry me?
Luke: … What?

s05e22 A House Is Not A Home

Series 4:

Rory: I hate you for ruining this for me!
[Rory runs out of the house and calls Dean’s mobile phone. His wife answers.]
Lindsay: Hello? Hello? Hello?

s04e22 Raincoats And Recipes

Series 2: Lorelai and Rory at Sookie and Jackson’s wedding.  Both have been knocked askew, Rory from kissing Jess and Lorelai from Christopher’s news that Sherry is pregnant and his immediate departure.

Rory: I think I’m going to Washington.
Lorelai: Oh… Okay.

s02e22 I Can’t Get Started

Series 3: Rory’s graduated from Chilton and they’re about to leave the building for the last time.

Lorelai: It’s not so scary any more.
Rory: No. No, it’s not.

S03e22 Those Are Strings, Pinocchio

My guess?

Lorelai (to Luke): It’s never too late.

or maybe

Kirk: Help? Help somebody please?

Comments

1. Charlotte says:

Oh doesn’t sound like there actually will be a movie though! :(
    I have no idea what the last words could be!!^^ But I think Rory would say them. She should get back together with Jess in the movie by the way ;D
    Lots of Love! #IHopeThereWillBeAMovieOrAtLeastANewSeasonBunheads

2. Alysia says:

I am pretty sure I would just die if there was a Gilmore Girls movie! I miss new watching new episodes so much…and I really want to see how their lives turned out. I need some better closure than the series allowed.

3. mcityrk says:

Possibilities ???
    ———————–

Lorelai [to Rory] : So, the Father’s Jess?

Miss Patty [to Kirk] : You’re no Taylor Dossie!!

Emily [to Richard] : She’ll kill me yet!!

Luke [to Lorelai] : A sister for April?

Rory [to Luke] : Take care of her–

Lorelai [to Emily] : I’m not your daughter?

4. Dany says:

So it seems pretty clear that the movie is never going to happen (did anyone really believed it would past those few months right after the show ended?). As for those last four words……..no idea and to be honest, I’m more curious to know where the lead characters were supposed to end up (….or end up with). As for Amy Sherman-Palladino, when I think about the way season six ended, I still assume her last four words to the producers, the writting team and, ultimately, the fans of the show were “now deal with this”. No big deal and I wish her the best, but that how it felt (and feels) to me.

5. Rich says:

Emily (to Jess): See you Friday night.

6. mcityrk says:

Rich…Exceptionally funny one!

One final idea —

Richard [toasting to all assembled as well as the forth wall] : To the Gilmore Girls—

7. Rich says:

Cheers to that mcityrk! :O)

Here’s a related Easter Egg… the season one finale ended with Lorelai and Rory sprinting at each other across Stars Hollow and jumping up and down like crazies with their respective Max / Dean successes. The blooper reel available on YouTube reveals their actual last lines of the episode went something like:

LG: A bunny…
    AB: Bunny hop and then they went into the cave and they met the frog
    LG: Yes! and then what did they do?
    AB: And then the frog went to the store and bought some cheese
    LG: Be careful of the car
    AB: Oh noo – on no it come that close
    LG: Why am I the only… [degenerates into both girls squealing]

8. jat says:

Last four words, spoken by Lorelai:

“Mom, Dad, I’m pregnant.”

9. I always thought ASP’s final four words would be, “We’re having a girl.”

10. Gen says:

I’ve been dreaming of the Gilmore Girls Movie on a weekly basis. Re-watch the entire series every year! It only become more and more amazing each time I watch it. I really hope there’s a movie coming out soon!!!!!! I’m hoping and dreaming and I’m going to continue dreaming and hoping for a Gilmore Girl movie!

11. Constance says:

A Gilmore Girls movie would be ideal. My obsession with this show has yet to cease even a little. I really hope in the next couple years it becomes a reality!!! I think the last words would be from Lorelai to Luke saying she’s pregnant. Ahhh I just hate how things ended. ASP please rectify this situation!!

12. Tammy Salazar says:

Omg I would love a Gilmore girls movie! With luke and lorelai married with two kids. 3 and 2.
    Man I hope they make one.

13. Kate says:

Oh please, please, please ASP, I will do ANYTHING to have the Gilmore girls back in my life…even for just a little while! If there ever is a Gilmore Girls movie you can bet that I’ll be first in line. :)

As for the four last words…hmm! Maybe they’re when Luke and Lorelai get married or when/if she announces she’s pregnant…someone (Rory?) says something like “It’s about damn time!”

Or maybe something cheesy like “This town is family.”

14. Rich says: