The Gilmore House Floor Plan

Lorelai Gilmore and Rory Gilmore’s house, a fixture of the Gilmore Girls world for many of us, was charming and quirky and filled with odds and ends, just like the girls who live in it. I was recently tipped off on Twitter to some fan-made floor plans of the house, including details on furniture placement with a few liberties taken based on changes from season-to-season. What do you think?

BCNBw7gCEAAxzRf

Here are some on-set photos as a reminder of what the house, aka “The Crapshack”, looked like.

Comments

1. S says:

First floor looks awesome. Not sure about the second floor though…wasn’t it just Lorelai’s room on the top floor?

2. draconit says:

I think it was, until Luke made changes there

3. dairyman says:

Wow. Gilmore Geekery I’ve only imagined.

Yeah I’m not sold on that top floor either, it’s a criminal waste of space. I do think there are rooms up there that we never saw – see e.g. the right hand side of this photo (taken shortly before TJ knocks a hole in it):

Also I’m gonna need to check but when Lorelai cries the whole day in bed after she and Luke break up, doesn’t Rory come up the stairs and straight into the room?

4. dairyman says:

I still want to build the house though. It’d be weird walking around it and keeping shoes in the oven. Haha you could build a waste compartment into the floor beneath the sink :O)

5. Linda says:

The house only had 2 bedrooms. What’s with the extra bedroom on the upstairs. And in the photo from dairyman, I think the window on the right is the bathroom and the 3 on the left were all Lorelai’s bedroom. I’d like to live there.

6. About this fllorplan:
    The entire first floor of the home is built to scale in a studio but the first floorplan sceens were filmed in removable sets.
    When Lorelai’s bedroom appears for the first time in the episode 1X02 apparently the first fllorplan only contains her bedroom at one side (above the living room) and a bathroom in the other side.
    But, what happens with all the rest of the space in this floor above kitchen and Rory’s bedroom ???
    In fact an image of the other side of the fake building was shown to situate the action in Lorelai’s bedroom:
    But this side of the building creates contradictions with the distribution of the sets.
    In fact this image situates the bedroom in the backside but in the episode 6.02 we can see Lorelai’s bedroom in a travelling through a big hole in the wall.
    So the windows in Lorelai’s bedroom are placed looking to this side of the house.
    Three windows in a flat wall, another contradiction.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-leL_FxHEF5E/TvutEdyVKFI/AAAAAAAALsE/ZJworGFp4as/s1600/House+1.jpgIn the epissode 6.06 we attend to the makeover and in the next episodes the new bedroom is presented.
    In theory this new bedroom is situated in the same place as the old one but the access to this new bedroom it’s through a long corridor wich creates another contradiction with the situation of the stairs.
    So finally I decided to make my own theory:
    The old bedroom was reconstructed and used now as guest bedroom. The new bedroom was created in the unused space above kitchen and Rory’s bedroom extending the original bathroom on upper floor to create the ensuite bathroom.
    I adapted the stairs to fit the old bedroom with the ground floor and to create a long corridor to the new bedroom.
    I don’t know why (maybe cause all these changes creates confussion) but the producers never shows the upper part of the exterior of the house in the rest of episodes.

7. Rich says:

Thanks for the post Iñaki and welcome to the boards. Your houseplans are inspired.

That rear-view picture is disconcerting. Although it might be the same building in real life, I assume it’s meant to be the front of a different house, for filmset purposes, hence the heels-friendly flagstones and the very un-Lorelai topiary.

I’m also distressed by the front view picture showing an open door leading out of the lounge – that’s definitely not there in the interior sets and would have given them an exit strategy when Kirk installs the alarm!