I had my chain of thoughts interrupted today by a colleague asking me what I was thinking about.  Apparently I’d been away with the fairies, a dappy smile on my face.  “Pizza”, I replied, but actually I was flipping through Gilmore Girls scenes in my head.

same lake he gets beaked

What’s your favorite scene from Gilmore Girls?  It’s a difficult – potentially impossible – question to answer.  Favorite in what way?  For all the reasons you’re here reading about a show that ended five years ago.  Something sweet but honest?  Something that gave you a perspective on growing up or parenting?  Some inspired kookiness that just made you laugh when you needed it?  Perhaps all the above.  I like a challenge and I’m not scared of getting shot down so, here are my close contenders:

From the pilot, Lorelai and Rory argue, then simultaneously put on Macy Gray’s CD.  It’s amusing and clever and perfectly pitches us the overlap in their temperaments.

The town loner protesting (or maybe supporting) the noodlescooze.  I had to re-watch this one a few times because I kept snorting over their lines.

Luke’s horoscope and declaration: He’s all in / “Would you just stand still?”

Stars Hollow’s fairwell to Rory (where Melissa McCarthy has clearly been crying her face off)

“Hole. HOLE. Hole – dirt… bed, dirt? HOLE.” I’m paraphrasing here.

But in this thirty second window between typing and posting, if I had to pick my absolute favourite scene, it’s Lorelai sweeping pizza crusts under the sink – and getting caught by Rory.  It’s got their role reversal, abuse of the kitchen and it’s just a damn funny thing to do.

How about you?  Too hard?  How about two favorite scenes from your top ten?

If you want a really hard question, try “what food group would you give up for Gilmore Girls?”  I’d give up lobster, but not Chinese food – although maybe Al’s Chinese food.

Rich

Rich originally began contributing to GIlmore News as 'Dairyman' in 2013, a reference to the character Dairyman Dick in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, (call me Rich). Here in the UK we were late to the Gilmore party and I don't remember what made me watch my first episode - the one where Lorelai picks Rory up from the police station after she and Logan steal a yacht - but I remember watching it again immediately. And then again. Thankfully, the next show was on the next day and I watched that one three times too. And then the boat one again. I couldn't believe the dialogue was so quick and so funny and I pretended to myself that I was only watching it so I could figure out who I was more keen on - the mom or the daughter. I swore that Aaron Sorkin must have been involved but I couldn't find his name attached anywhere, even on the internet. So I watched and loved and laughed and cried and the day after the series finale, they ran the entire show from the beginning again and Rory turned into a baby so then I was all about Lorelai. Lauren Graham is astonishing ("Mother: Breathtaking") and the show was - and is - lightning in a bottle. It's a treasure for those who watch and get swept up in it, like I did and like the readers of Gilmore News. It's heartbreak and chicken soup, family dysfunction and blind optimism, lighthearted romanticism and balls-out brilliant. Thanks to Arieanna and gilmorenews.com for letting me squat and allowing my inner Gilmore Geek out for air. I worry how it would otherwise manifest.

17 thoughts on “My favourite Gilmore Girls scenes (or how I spent the last ten minutes chuckling to myself)

• December 12, 2012 at 12:54 pm

All the scenes are flooding my mind now! To make it even worse, in trying to choose, I can hear Lorelai in my head: “Too many comebacks. I cannot pick.”

Rory’s valedictory address from Chilton. I cry every time.

And from “The Inns and Outs of Inns,” Emily’s delivery of “I will not ‘get out of here'” is always a laugh.

LORELAI: Yeah, where’s he eating his weird food tonight? Argentina? Morocco?

EMILY: Akron.

RORY: Ohio?

EMILY: Yes.

LORELAI: Get out of here.

EMILY: I will not “get out of here.”

LORELAI: A saying, you know, like ‘save me’ or ‘get me out of here’. Things like that.

EMILY: Lorelai, would you like me to put a mirror in front of you so you can look at yourself while you have this conversation?

• December 12, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Lorelai listening to Max’s voicemail under the blanket.

The “Hi” “Hi” “Hi” “Hi” and “Bye” “Bye” “Bye” “Bye” scene in Luke’s Diner between him, Jess, Rory, and Lorelai. Hilarious.

• December 12, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Way to numerous to select one, but for me all it boils down to the great humerous one liners, and these are just from season 1.:

Are you my new daddy?
    Most odious women alive.
    No. I got hit by a deer.
    Oh please, with that ass? Gimme a break.
    You smiled. You’re pleased that the ice man looked at you like a porterhouse steak.
    …..doing the splits on a crate of dynamite.
    Like there’s supposed to be another word after it.
    Zero to jackass in 3.2 seconds.
    Uh Rory, I’m sorry you’re upset but I applaud your timing.

• December 13, 2012 at 2:42 am

Every single minute from Forgiveness and Stuff is pure gold as far as I’m concerned. Actually, if they ever do a Gilmore Girls movie, I would suggest the cast and crew to sit and watch that episode again (and maybe to watch I’d Rather Be in Phipadephia to compare and see what went wrong later on….).

But to choose a favorite scene from the whole series? I couldn’t do it with that single one episode. You might as well ask what my favorite Python’s sketch or my favorite Pixies song is. I just can’t…..

• December 13, 2012 at 5:22 am

Aw, I thought you hadn’t got my favourite one then you listed it right at the end…putting the food under the cooker, my all time favourite. I’ve totally done that too.

I also like when they fall over at the airport.

• December 13, 2012 at 6:56 am

One particular scene just came back to me: Rory freaking out on her first day at Yale about her student card’s (or something like that) photo: “I look like Keith Richards at Altamont”. I remember it as a very specific moment where I thought: “wow, this isn’t just another girly sappy show, it’s really good”. Then again, I’m a huge Stones fan…..

I also remember one scene where Lorelai makes a joke about her parents having dinner with nazis and Emily turning the joke on her by making her believe they actually did have dinner with nazis. I can’t remember exactly how it went, just that it was perfect: the writing, the acting…..another of those “wow, this show is great” moments.

• December 13, 2012 at 8:42 am

Thanks everyone, this chain is getting me through the day :O)

My favorite opening sequence is spaghetti and meatballs at the Gilmore residence, including:
    “You’re nuts” – “You’re double nuts!”, Rory makes hungry puppy eyes at the mention of ‘lunch’, RIchard says “I’m not jealous of Doctor Handsome” and Richard and Emily envisage which University building they’re going to name after Rory.

@Emma LOL!

@Dany, you reminded me of another, which is one my friend’s all-time favorite:

LORELAI: …I ended up going out to dinner alone with my parents who bickered the whole time about which Beatle is alive and which is dead.

RORY: So where’d they land?

LORELAI: John and Keith are dead. Paul and Bingo are still kicking.

• December 14, 2012 at 1:04 am

Yes, Gilmore Girls had some fantastic rock and roll comments (so your friend is a british rock fanatic too?). Here’s another I love, by Lorelai (I’ve found the transcript this time, feeling a little less lazy than yesterday):

“Rory, my brain is full. It has reached capacity. It’s Shea Stadium when the Beatles played. It’s cramped and girls and screaming and I think George is fighting with Ringo…”

Once again, that’s the kind of stuff that turned me into a Gilmore Girls freak.

• December 15, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I can’t believe I forgot about Digger’s dog! I love when he shows L his dog’s ‘tricks’…

:D

• December 17, 2012 at 6:16 am

My favorite today is Emily and Richard bringing back a treat from Switzerland – Marzipan! Lorelai wants it only because hers is bunny-shaped. She’s the first to spit (but gets caught) Rory tries to be polite but honesty and disgust win out and Jason drops by, becoming an incidental casualty.

Emma – Cyrus moves “a little to the left” *just* missed my shortlist! Alongside it were Jess using “beak” as a verb, Rory’s Chilton valedictory speech (not crying) and Lorelai on a bike on a phone.

Dany – ‘fanatic’ is a pretty accurate description, actually.

• December 18, 2012 at 3:02 am

I actually live in Switzerland and I do like Marzipan. Knowing the kind of disgusting things those two were able to swallow (yes, I am talking about food, but still I heard the dirty comment in my head as I wrote it), I must admit I was a little disapointed with their reactions. Oh, well, different strokes, right?

• December 19, 2012 at 8:23 am

hahaha… ‘dirty’

I like the one’s about Luke’s toolbox.

• December 20, 2012 at 1:24 pm

There are SO many, but the one I still find hilarious, no matter how many times I watch it, is from the opening of 3.20:

LORELAI: Uh, so let’s get back to the party recap. Any little details you wanna tell Mommy?

RORY: Jess and Dean got into the fight.

LORELAI: Over you.

RORY: I was a contributing factor.

LORELAI: Was anyone hurt?

RORY: No.

LORELAI: And that’s why the cops came and broke up the party?

RORY: Yes.

LORELAI: So not only did you go to a cop-raided party but you started the raid?

RORY: Yes.

LORELAI: This fence is broken because of you, this crap is on the ground because of you.

RORY: What’s your point?

LORELAI: [sings] Did you ever know that you’re my hero?

RORY: Oh my God!

LORELAI: [sings] You’re everything I would like to be. And I could fly higher than an eagle, ’cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

• December 22, 2012 at 7:29 am

Is that the one that ends with Lorelai saying something like “the important thing we learned is that I’m hot!”? Brilliant. Also, “you’re going to have to walk faster than that.”

• January 4, 2013 at 8:43 am

One of my favourite moments is when jess comes down dressed as Luke and goes what I thought this was the uniform or something.