New Commentary on “Gilmore Girls” Finale

George R.R. Martin, author of the Game of Thrones recently was interviewed about show endings, following a bit of an online scuffle over his comments on the series finale of Lost. In the interview, he mentions some of the shows that messed up their final seasons… including Gilmore Girls:

“One show that flubbed its ending in almost every important way, in my view, is ‘Gilmore Girls.’ The show’s creator left before the final season of ‘GG’ and the new person brought in to mop up during that last year just didn’t have a good feel for the characters or their world, and after spending six seasons with the people of Star’s Hollow, the final season was a trainwreck on a character level. A fairly decent series finale wasn’t enough to remove the bad taste that the rest of that unfortunate season had left. Very little of what transpired was true to the vision I’d watched for the first six years of the show.”

None of these ideas are new, though they are well put. What do you think?

16 thoughts on “New Commentary on “Gilmore Girls” Finale

• May 10, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I found it very interesting coming from an author who write fantasy, that he’s commenting on Lost, BSG, Babylon 5 and… Gilmore Girls (OK, plus The Shield)! And, yeah, good comments.

• May 11, 2011 at 12:09 am

I agree the final season was off and the new team had a lot of repair work to fix the mess left by Amy. But I think they went off course even further having Lorelai marry Chris and not to even have any family (namely Rory) or friends. Now I could see Lorelai turning to Chris but to have them marry was just wrong and prolonged the inevitable break up everyone knew was coming.

On top of that having Rory and Logan split after he proposed. Now maybe they were hoping for the 8th season to get things back on track with both girls but it don’t take away from the pain Amy and the rest put most of the fans through in the last 1.5 years.

• May 11, 2011 at 12:13 am

I 100% agree with his comments about Gilmore Girls final season!

• May 11, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I am sure it has been said before –but the last show of the series was never-NEVER- meant to be the last episode . I think it is then unfair to complain about how it ‘wraps’ things up.

I agree the last year is lacking in quality but I still love it and as long as the family channel keeps running the show – I will watch every episode and love it . I have seen the whole series more than ten times One day when it is removed from the schedule I will have to buy the box set .

• May 11, 2011 at 1:56 pm

The last show was never – NEVER- meant to be the final episode . I think it is then unfair to complain about how it “wraps” things up .

• May 11, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I was a little heartbroken when they said they didn’t miss Stars Hollow! I miss Stars Hollow!

• May 11, 2011 at 5:06 pm

(oh sorry, wrong post – was supposed to go on their video post from E!)

• May 11, 2011 at 6:43 pm

A logically accurate if obvious commentary on the last season of GG. For what it is worth, there is an enormous number of ways to screw up the last season and finale of a previously well thought -of show [everybody is unconsciously looking ahead to what’s next] and only a small number of ways to get it right so what happened isn’t that much of a surprise. Unfortunately for us, GG did not beat the odds and join the likes of Newhart, MTM, and Carson in going out on the highest note. It was somewhere in the middle, kind of like MASH or ER and at least we did not get stuck with the nonsense of St Elsewhere or the self-congratulatory pomposity of Cheers and Seinfeld.

• May 11, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I completely agree and especially love the second to last sentence! The series finale did offer some closure, although not enough for my taste. I enjoyed the finale to a certain degree, and liked how they paid homage to all the crazy townspeople. However, those last three words ASP promised still haunt me! I would love to know what she had planned for these characters we all know and love.

• May 12, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I loved Gilmore Girls since day one and even though I own all seasons, I still watch them on ABC Family and SoapNet. As for the finale, I thought it could have been much better. I just feel like they tried to tie up loose ends in just one episode and that’s not possible. I love Rory w/Logan and they should have kept them together. Personally, season 1 is my favorite.

• May 12, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I know people may disagree, but for me, Season 7 was far better than season 6 in many ways. The writers in season 7 were left with a lot of bad character development from the end of season 6.

• May 12, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I do agree with the spoiled ending of season 6. There were a lot of messy things to clean up. But still, the characters didn’t seem themselves.

• May 16, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I think the Palladinos were just as at fault for the downfall of Gilmore Girls than the new showrunners etc. were. Firstly, all the really odd changes in the characters (specifically Luke and Rory) began under their reign. Secondly, you’ll never be able to convince me that Amy Sherman Palladino didn’t know what she was doing when she wrote the Season 6 Finale. She knew she wasn’t coming back and if she couldn’t have this show then, dammit, nobody would! (Haha) Then when Season 7 came along, every character just became more awkward and the storytelling went array completely (specifically with Lucy and Olivia…man, they were awful). So, yeah, equal blame goes to both camps I believe.

• June 3, 2011 at 5:22 am

oh gosh i looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove luke

• July 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I thought the new writers did what they could Amy left a mess and it was also tough for them because they did not know if the show was coming back, I actually enjoyed the finale it tied up alot of loose ends the town throwing Rory a party, Rory getting an awesome job and Lorelai getting back together with Luke the wedding and all of that didnt bother me she wasnt divorced so no wedding could be had, and I think what the writer was trying to say is Lorelai was going to be ok on her own, she raised a kid alone and built a business basically alone, she’s ok if she’s not married, she handled things well with Rory leaving and she didnt obsess over where things were with Luke I love when Rory says “I love your necklace it suits you” it was a nice subtle way of letting her mom know she made the right move in getting back with luke and dont muck it up this time.. I also liked how the new writers paid great attention to detail with Luke in the background just like the first episode they really did their homework give them credit for that at least. They addressed the situation with Logan with class Lorelai said it best “it just takes time to get over it” to be honest the Logan storyline was exhausted for 2 seasons, season 6 was a headache but the finale at least soothed the pain, it wasnt the best but it sure wasnt the worst either, I cried like a baby when the town stood cheering for Rory, Dan hit that scene perfectly and the scene with Lorelai and Rory at Lukes with Luke in the back spoke volumes it was always the two of them and Luke somwehere around..