Should Gilmore Girls Have Ended Earlier?

EW’s latest list, “23 TV Shows That Missed Cue for a Graceful Exit”, suggests that Gilmore Girls SHOULD have ended a season earlier.

gilmore-girls-season-6-03.jpg

The list lines up shows and where they ended with where the author *thinks* the series should have ended. For Gilmore Girls, they suggest the series should have finished at Season 6:

Where to End It: The season 6 finale, written by married showrunners Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino, in which Lorelai winds up in bed with baby-daddy Christopher.
Badness Avoided: The showrunners’ departure turned the show into a bad waxwork imitation of itself in the lunatic last season. Sometimes, it’s better to end on a cliffhanger than a long, slow descent.

Do you agree?

27 thoughts on “Should Gilmore Girls Have Ended Earlier?

• July 20, 2010 at 7:32 pm

The show was definitely a victim of its own success. Its cult following was enough to get it the seventh season, but really it peaked much earlier. EW actually has the answer in its discussion of another show, “There’s no way to get around it: college ruins all high school shows.” Gilmore Girls wasn’t just a high school show, but the show simply wasn’t as good once Rory started at Yale. The writers were stuck coming up with more and more outrageous situations to put the characters in, and while there were always moments in each season (even 7) it could have just as easily stopped in season 3.

• July 20, 2010 at 8:58 pm

The only worse idea than some of the dreadful plotlines in season 7 would have been to kill the show at the end of season 6 at one of its lowest points. Looking at how the seasons ended; only 1, 3, and 7[?] ended on plotlines that could remotely be considered high notes. And the overriding plot structure of the show was set up so that fans would demand that they get to see Rory finish up her latest scholastic endeavor. So only ending after seasons 3 and 7 made logical sense. The problem of course was the incredibly uneven 88 episodes it took to run the marathon [at times with no believable direction] that nearly wiped out the principals to get to the end of season 7 once season 4 was initiated.

• July 20, 2010 at 10:47 pm

No way on Earth should have GG ending with Chris and Lorelai in bed, not to mention Logan leaving. ITA it was the lowest point of the 7 years. I would have burnt my DVDs and send the ashes to the WB!

Having the show run the 7 years with Rory graduating then moving on was then way the show should have ended and it did.

No matter how much I hate the final season it was needed to fix up the mess the Palladino’s left.

• July 20, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I agree that it should’ve ended with Rory graduating Yale. Lorelai never should’ve slept with Chris at the end of Season 6, or ever. I think that the plotline should’ve changed and never have that Lorelai/Chris plotline. I don’t think many people like Chris and this show could’ve been much better. Amy needs to write a movie, sooner rather than later, to clear things up or just give that closure to audiences. Not to mention a Luke/Lorelai wedding.

• July 20, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Very good question indeed. In fact, the season 4 reached a climax. The five started well. Then we watch the rest because of our love for the Girls, all the characters, and the series. Yet, the seventh is not really an end. It leaves us with an after taste. So Yes, I think that it could have ended at the end of season five, with a proper final. For instance, accelerating everything: Graduation, wedding, professional, and so… And yes, they could then have thought a really better ending. That said, I’ll however, watch the 6th and the 7th seasons DVD however. The characters are still there, with all their full potential, even though, not so truly and fully expressed as they were in the former seasons….

• July 21, 2010 at 2:01 am

No, it shouldn’t have ended in season 6 as a cliffhanger like that would be even worst.

The show, however, should have ended in season 5, with a different ending – Luke accepting Lorelai’s proposal and Rory NOT ending up in jail and dropping out. This would mean that we would have avoided the whole mess that was April and season 7.

• July 21, 2010 at 3:38 am

I disagree ! I am a true fan. The last season was not up to par. That was not Amy or the casts fault. IT WAS THE WB THAT CHEAPED OUT. They let The Palladinos leave due to money. How can anyone say there was nothing left to the story line. That was a show that could have gone on for many more years if the WB let Amy do her thing. But as usual the networks screw up the good shows and replace them with garbage..Nothing has held that time slot since the GG left..Smart move WB. I think the GG should come back and let Amy finish it the correct way..

• July 21, 2010 at 6:11 am

There’s no way the series should have ended after the 6th season! I think Rory graduating from college and moving on to a career is the perfect ending to the series. However, the fans of the show were cheated out of a true series finale, not to mention a decent last season, because ASP left. I still wonder to this day what Amy would have written for season 7 and how she would have ended the series. I’m hoping that she will eventually make a movie so the fans can get the ending we all deserve!! Then just maybe we’ll get to hear those last three words!

• July 21, 2010 at 10:34 am

I have fewer problems with Season 7 than with Season 6.:
    1. I intensely disliked the addition of April in the second half of 6. It just wasn’t believable that Luke’s daughter would have the ability to conduct a DNA test, write the proof of it, and have it accepted by Luke without questioning its validity
    2. Worse than April is Anna’s behavior toward Luke. How can Anna dictate that Lorelai not be allowed to interact with April? How could Luke go along with this? How could they not even consider Lorelai’s feelings in this?
    3. Everyone overreacted to Rory’s taking time off from school. (And why do the writers feel that they have to mention the name of Rory’s school every time they talk about college? We get it. She’s at YALE.) Rory’s meltdown would have blown over if everyone stopped acting as though taking time out from school was the worst decision since the Bay of Pigs.
    4. I’m no fan of the DAR, but Rory’s work with them wasn’t wasted time. She developed skills she didn’t know she had and got to work with a different population than she would have in school.
    5. What happened to her job at the Stamford paper after she returned to college?
    6. Mitchum Huntzberger wasn’t evil. I think in both Seasons 5 and 6, he was a very interesting character. We don’t see enough of Rory at her intern job to know if he was mistaken in his judgment of her.
    7. How naive were Richard and Emily regarding Rory’s sexuality? Could they possibly believe that a nearly 21-year-old woman wasn’t sexually active with her committed boyfriend? They aren’t that “old”. I know they were treating her as if she were the 16 year old Lorelai, but it just seems over the top.
    8. Rory’s outlooke changed drastically around Logan. It was always HIS behavior and dreams she was trying to accept and even apologize for.
    9. I think Lorelai’s feeling of rejection from Luke was valid, yet sleeping with Chris didn’t seem logical for her character.
    The story trajectory for Season 7 was set up in Season 6. I don’t feel that Season 7 could have played out much differently. I think Lorelai had to have some closure with Chris before being able to move on. (I wouldn’t have married him, but……) I’d live to have a reunion film for tv, not theaters.

• July 21, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I always felt that this series had a built-in 7 year lifetime around the education and launching of Rory. Amy should have realized by mid-season 6 that it was time to bring this classic to a close. The 2 leads were burning out. The critcs were getting nasty. They had one more season to bring it to a graceful conclusion. Her mistake was seeing this series go beyond 7 seasons.

This should have been Amy’s baby from beginning to end. Too bad it didn’t work out that way.

• July 22, 2010 at 1:10 am

I think that the show should of had atleast one more season to complete the full story line. The storylines where nowhere up to scratch in the last season. Why did Lorelai leap at a chance with Christopher… that was the craziest story line and much worse them getting MARRIED it would never have worked and Rory keep letting Logan pulling her back in each time they had a big argument that was stupid she would never had put up with that from Jess or Dean let alone go back to them or accept their apology. It needed another season to the viewers what Lorelai and Rory’s life would have been like or atleast have had a movie… If it had a better storyline in the last season it would have been much better and had higher ratings. Well that my point of view.

• July 22, 2010 at 7:28 pm

As much as I enjoyed individual moments about the later seasons, I don’t think any ending other than stopping at Season 3 would have fixed the problem. The endings of seasons 4 and 5 were just as disturbing as Season 6 for the two main characters.

I tried to reflect on the post history from what I recall and I think others expressed what I felt as I attempted watching the show as it struggled after Season 3, that the Palladinos really didn’t know how to evolve the characters or have real plans for the characters growth. For example:

1. We were told so many times Rory wanted to be a foreign correspondent but none of Season 4-6 really dealt with this. I think as others said (mcityrk?) the Yale Daily News was supposed to satisfy this but at the same time she never took classes studying other countries, and the characters never came to terms what it would mean for her to do what Christiane Amanpour did, as she reported on wars and worked in countries dangerous for women. Watching Lorelai slowly have this dawn on her would have been interesting and potentially funny to not know how to talk her out of it. No real thinking about this seems to have gone into the series, and Rory became less and less a role model as a student and professional woman through Season 6. She gave up three summers to advance her career, all for boy trouble.

2. Lorelai was growing as a person through Seasons 2-3. My favourite episodes in Season 2 showed Lorelai going to Emily after the cotillion just to be there for her, or helping Richard in his business. There were fights, but not at the expense of Lorelai not trying to grow. And as a business woman, we even saw through Season 5 her not just building an inn but having potential as a consultant who could travel, like Rory. But all of the latter was abandoned. Her trajectory was turned into becoming a wife who turned down a work for a man.

3. No real thought seemed to go into Lorelai’s relationships other than to make them disasters. Christopher was ruined in Season 2 to the point of making him such a screwup, then a shallow rich man, that it was hard to understand the appeal. The sexual tension of possibility with Luke did not have a corresponding depth to it — Amy even said going into the relationship she intended them to fight, and apparently this was so to extremely harsh language, particularly from Luke, and to the point of crazy breakups, which she also said she would not do. Luke and Lorelai had one charming date and then no more. It was as if they didn’t know how to write Lorelai in a mature relationship after Max. They made her more and more childish instead.

4. Saddest of all, the ambition of the show just seemed to tire the Palladinos. This is the most benign explanation for the April-Anna storyline, which seems like it was clearly set up for the Jess programme that never got off the ground with Sherilyn Fenn and her smart daughter. Bigger fights and cliffhangers from typical television seemed uninspired and uncharacteristic.

So much was uneven and sad after Season 3, not all the Palladinos fault it seems, but the writing was so sloppy after Season 3 the show deteriorated more and more. The excitement and drama of the Luke-Lorelai pairing covered up for that — taking that out would show a lot of holes in what was left.

But the first three seasons and even some after that are still a joy to watch.

• July 23, 2010 at 12:27 am

@Marie-

I occasionally wonder how much better GG might have been after season 3 if all of the Palladino’s wasted time, effort, and attention on the “Jess” spin-off had never occurred. Certainly this seemed to distract them off as they worked their way into season 4 of GG as it took almost half a season to get to the point of consistency seen in the previous seasons even for short runs of episodes. And you would think there had to be residual anger and loss of trust that permeated the rest of their time working for/with the WB and the CW that easily could have subconsciously let them “Phone-in” a lot of the plotlines. Kind of hard to do your best work when you are constantly worrying about the show being pulled out from under you.

That said, as well as they seemed to hit all the right notes in setting up Rory’s high-school experience, it really should not have taken that much additional research to describe a realistic college experience for her as well. For reasons non-obvious to us, they settled for the least common denominator plotlines with over-the-top and oftentimes unbelievable character assasinations masquerading as drama instead of development of true character depth. Too bad for us all!!

• July 23, 2010 at 8:03 am

@mc
    Good point on the distraction of the stupid spin-off and the issues with WB/CW. That said, I see no reason to believe that the writers were capable of writing a realistic college experience. They clearly didn’t go to college and therefore had no experiences to draw from. Just like actors can be type-cast, so can producers, directors, and writers. This also shows how hard it is to write a good sequel. In a way, seasons 4-7 are a somewhat disappointing sequel to seasons 1-3.

• July 23, 2010 at 10:57 am

@y-

Not so sure it was a failure to go to college, as they seemed to get most of the superficial aspects of college life in a believable fashion, but a lack of experience with the depth of study needed to properly prepare Rory for her chosen profession. Then of course there is the whole question of whether they really would have been permitted to write this experience anyway as the powers that be seemed to want Rory to be more a more homogenized mainstream character than the atypical and at times unique character we remember from the first 3 years.

• July 23, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I have to say, season 7 was terrible. I bought the dvds for it, but I never watch it. So, for that reason, it might have been better to end it at season 6. But I think they should’ve let the Palladinos have the two more seasons after season 6 that they wanted. If they were behind the show’s ending, I’m sure it would’ve been great. That’s why I’m still hoping they do a movie someday

• July 25, 2010 at 11:04 am

I have only recently completed watching the “Gilmore Girls” series; I was introduced to the show just this past winter by my daughter. We invested in the box set collection and it was definitely worth it! For us, it was a little difficult to watch the last season because we knew if was the last season. Both of us would love to see a Gilmore Girls reunion! I happened to like the last episode and I thought it did a nice job of wrapping up the story lines however it definitely left an invitation for the show to continue or at least have a reunion. One of my favorite story lines of the last season was Lane and Zach becoming parents, starting a family and Lane re-examining the relationship with her own mother. Also, I thought it seemed fitting, believable for Rory to land the reporting job covering a political campaign in leiu of marrying Logan. For now, we will start all over again by going back to Season One :)

• July 25, 2010 at 7:05 pm

To mcitryk –

I think you definitely have a strong point about where things may have gone wrong. From a substantive perspective, if Jess had still be in the cast, he probably would have been Rory’s first sexual experience and a conflict with her study in some way. One of the most awkward parts of Season 4 was Rory’s inability to date, which was not surprising considering she was awkward in many ways, and one can argue that to make a safe choice (though of desperation) to resolve her feeling of being unsuccessful with dating would be to run back to Dean, but it was also a weak and obvious choice for the writers. A brave response caused by the change would have been to have Rory date someone radically different — from a different culture, that would set her on the path to wanting to venture out into the world she would eventually write about as a foreign correspondent, someone from the Middle East, Asia, Africa, or Latin/South America. My understanding of Yale is that it is very multicultural, not just all white privilege, and especially a choice from Latin America would have allowed Alexis to use her Argentinian heritage to make the show rich.

Can we imagine the stories that would have come out of Rory becoming political in ways that would have made Emily and Richard frustrated, and Lorelai flustered? This also touches on your other point of research. I looked at the Yale website and saw that Yale has courses in comparing Spanish language journalism to English language journalism, a student magazine on foreign journalism that sent students to Venezuela, and if I could find this, they surely could have done so.

But from what I recall, the writers were under pressure to raise ratings even to keep the show renewed, so Rory went on Spring Break, and the Luke-Lorelai pairing was pushed ahead to satisfy fan interest, and the rest was pushed to the background. The Logan storyline was interesting but went on too long. Rory needed someone to push her academically toward her goal of being a foreign correspondent as conflict for the remainder of the series, but the choices to increase old conflict rather than have the characters grow and face new ones was the choice that may not have been encouraged out of exhaustion from the challenge of writing a show complex and being diverted to scramble to make up for having Jess taken away from Season 4.

• July 26, 2010 at 6:52 am

I am so much in love with the show GIlmore Girls. I own the boxed set, and I watch it almost every night before I go to bed. That being said, I hardly EVER watch the 7th season. I watch seasons 1-6 in order, and I always go back to season 1 instead of finishing the show with season 7. The few times that I have watched season 7, I am always left disappointed at the end, even though I cry like a baby at the finale.

I honestly think that was was missing in the 7th season was the Palladinos. A lot of people in these comments have mentioned how they didn’t do a good job of writing later on in the series, likein seasons 4, 5 and 6 after Rory goes to college. I respectfully disagree. Seasons 4 and 5 are actually my favorite seasons. But I really believe that season 7 could have been a great last season if Amy and Dan were there to write it. Amy had even said long before the show had even ended that she had the last 4 words of the show in mind. Unfortunately, we never got to know what those were. That is why I am all for Amy and Dan getting the cast back together to make a TV movie that can end with less disappointment.

I don’t really like seeing people necessarily critisize Amy and Dan’s writing when I believe that this is one of the most well-written and wittiest shows that has been on TV. As for the plotlines, Lorelai has to go back and forth from Chris to Luke and vice versa because it’s drama and drama is what makes people watch the show. It keeps making you wonder who she’s going to end up with in the end. And when she finally seems like she’s settling down by getting married – that changes! All TV shows have to keep drama in there. As for Rory, yes she seemed to grow more during her high school years, but I don’t think her college years were wasted at all.

I think that the show is just fine as it is, but I definitely agree it could have ended better. There were just too many loose ends at the end. Although I was happy that Lorelai and Luke (somewhat) ended up together, and I was happy to see that Emily and Lorelai were going to continue the Friday night dinners. So much of that show was watching Emily and Lorelai’s relationship together grow, and I was glad it ended on a good note.

So, I don’t know, I don’t think the show ended well at all, but if the show was going to be done after the 6th season, then that season definitely would have needed some tweaking. Amy had always said she wanted the show to end at Rory’s college graduation. So, I would be more than happy to see a reunion movie that can tie up loose ends for us crazy fans

• July 26, 2010 at 8:03 pm

The main problem wasn’t the number of seasons, but rather the quality of those seasons. Seasons 1-5 had great quality; fans and the actors (Lauren, Alexis etc) continued to enjoy the work, making the show successful. The main problem with seasons 6 & 7 were the storylines. If the writers had not changes the whole premise of the series (a light-heart to drama-filled TV show), the show would have been fine. But because they decided to mess with the characters and add stupid subplots, the fans and critics began to lose interest in it.

Ending it at season 6 finale would have been even worse then ending it the way they did. Think about it; 90% of the fans only want a movie because they want Luke and Lorelai to get married. After watching 4 seasons of this couple flirt/build a strong relationship and having them date and get engage at the ending of season 5, it would have been disastrous to leave the fans with Lorelai in Chris’ arms (again, the writers should have ended his story line in season 5. He really had no purpose in season 6. Another bad choice by the writers). As much as I hated season 7, it ends Rory’s storyline (graduating & getting a job) and Lorelai is with Luke. Ending the show in 6 season (or any other season) would have messed that up.

That all being said, if they had shorten Lorelai & Rory’s fight, took Buttface (Chris) out of the season and show, didn’t add April’s existence (again, terrible storyline. Luke wouldn’t have a kid), and if we could have seen Luke and Lorelai get married, I would have been completely fine with them ending the show after 6. Maybe then the actors and writers wouldn’t be constantly asked to make a movie.

• July 27, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Tina, I’m not sure I appreciate the Buttface comment about Chris – apart from the fact that David Sutfliffe is handsome and was cast for that reason, he had real chemistry with Lauren Graham and that’s what made the appeal remotely believable, given how much the character had been destroyed beyond redemption.

Moreover, I think the point of Season 6 with that character, other than desperation, was to make it clear that Christopher’s “blame” for events is particularly childish, as it’s clear that Lorelai would not let him go, and always did so at the worst times — when she was about to marry Max, then after he was with Sherry, after he and Sherry had gotten to the point of getting pregnant, after she was engaged. The writers made it clear that she went to him over and over; he only pushed his way in once. Yes, I wish it had been funnier showing Lorelai twitch and get jealous and thinking of Chris in Season 6, as the Palladinos were playing for shock and drama instead, but it was pretty clear in Season 6 that the writers felt that Lorelai was still an immature woman when it came to family and relationships. I can’t believe Amy really intended Lorelai’s behavior with regard to her postponing the wedding to Luke while she ostracized Rory, then taking over and rushing the wedding (and excluding Luke from consideration), then bailing on the wedding, was meant to be “cute” or “reasonable” behavior. They were making comedy of her absurd, ridiculous behavior.

That all said, I think as Michelle says, a lot of the criticism seems to be people wanting to write their own story. Many people were so sure Luke and Lorelai would get married, or that the series “had” to end that way. Amy and Dan Palladino had Luke and Lorelai break up twice in two years in ugly fights with mercurial behavior toward each other, hardly how people “meant to be” should behave.

I personally like the show through Season 3 and much after that, but like others thought that Rory’s storyline felt like a betrayal about what had been written. Yet, maybe Amy wanted to undo the perfect child storyline that Rory represented and have her not go off and be a correspondent. It was her story to tell, and it’s sad she didn’t get to finish it. I do think Amy felt anything other than Lorelai and Rory being close was irrelevant to the final outcome of the show, and the poor writers left to clean up the show at least made that point.

• July 27, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I must have been one of the few that didn’t mind the idea of April but I think it was used badly, it should have been used to bring L&L closer by seasons end and not have them shut each other out for various reasons. In the end I think April was good for Luke but they wasted the final season on a pointless relationship that most of the fans knew would go no where except more heart break for Lorelai and her fans.

Still in the air about ASP writing doing a movie as at one point she wanted to re-write the final season and given how she left with Chris & Lorelai in bed I just don’t trust she will do what most fans want and have Luke and Lorelai married!

On a bright note, Scott recently commented the he has heard things about a TV movie as he’s still friends with the Palladino’s.

• July 28, 2010 at 8:25 am

What comments, Craig? I think the longer this goes on, with all the actors having moved on, the likelihood of there being a movie seem more and more dim.

And I bet Lauren Graham wouldn’t be so eager to jump back in just for a wedding of Luke and Lorelai. The claim that “most” fans want to see them married is a stretch. There were four to five MILLION of viewers, and even if 100,000 were screaming for a Luke-Lorelai wedding, that’s not even 5%.

I for one would definitely not want to see Lorelai marry Luke or Christopher, at least as those two characters were written by the Palladinos and their successors. The idea that people get married – the end / happily ever after says it all – (a) it’s a ridiculous fantasy, and (b) it doesn’t say much about marriage, or much about what marriage is really like, or what it would be like for Lorelai. If her two year relationship with Luke is any measure, it would NOT be pretty.

I’m more interested in seeing Lorelai grow up, become a consultant and business woman, and find someone who excites her and doesn’t act like a child or a cro-magnon man, and definitely not someone who primarily wants her having more children (again) and tied down for 20 years where she can’t drop everything and be with Rory around the world somewhere, whenever they want to get together.

This show was never the Luke-Lorelai show to me. It was about the women. I much prefer the show to have ended when it did and how it did so we can all have our own ending.

• July 29, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I actually think that the finale of season 7 was the best part of the season, and unfortunately we couldn’t have gotten to it without the struggling plot lines in season 7. It was touching, we had Rory being her own woman and embarking on an exciting career, Lorelai and her parents were at a good point in their relationship, and even Lorelai and Luke had a new understanding.

There’s an interesting point someone made, that Rory’s college experience wasn’t what it should have been. I agree, especially for the last 2 seasons. While it’s very probable that in the first year or 2, she would have concentrated on classes and the paper, it does seem like she would have branched out after, especially since she wanted to be a foreign correspondent. Maybe if they’d spent less time on her dropping out of Yale (though I do understand how that would have been useful for her character) then we could have spent the end of season 6 and the beginning of season 7 with her doing something related to that.

Of course the question was would the show have been better off if they’d just ended it after season 6. The answer is no. Perhaps if season 6 had had a different trajectory, but as it stands, I think that would have been a very low point to end the show on.

• August 30, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I think i am part of the very few who really wanted Lorelai to get on with Chris. I never like Luke. I just don’t think he and Lorelai looked good together. Her ending in bed with Chris was the highlight for me. I am plainly revolted at the sight of Luke, unshaven, as if he doesn’t shower.

I hated the story about Luke having a kid… that was the most boring kid ever. I would wish more interaction with Emily and Richard Gilmore, the actors were brilliant!

I prefered Rory with Logan. Again I saw the chemistry although Dean would have been great too. I hated her romance with Jess… again same as Luke, he was bad news for her and nightmare for any parent with a nice daughter. Luke and Jess can go disappear from the plot and I would have still watched the show on and on.

I love Sooky and the french receptionist. The scenes at the Inn and at the friday night dinners are my most favourite storylines to watch. All the actors were brilliant.

The diner scenes were just plain boring and so unappealing.

Maybe I am just not into cheap food places where plates are plonked right in front of you and waiters holler at each other.

• August 31, 2010 at 9:44 am

they shouldve had rory waking up in jess’ bed that would have made the seventh season juicy rather than her being all mopy about logan lol

• December 30, 2010 at 4:53 am

i didnt like the series final..not one tiny bit. but i dont think that the season 6 finale was enough for a series final . Logan and rory shouldve ended up together , but they didnt because she didnt want to get married.i dont think they should ve gotten married as that would defeat everything rory wouldve worked for but come on the ending was stupid…she let him walk away, isnt she supposed to love him? okayy not marriage but rory shouldnt have of let him wslk away like that. she shouldve tried harder to get him back. And i like lorelai and Luke :D but her and Christopher didnt make sense. I would love amovie or a short series to fix everything!!