Is a Kropog Real?

In ‘How Many Kropogs to Cape Cod?‘, we learn about Kropogs, so I thought I’d tell you more! A Kropog was a unit of distance specifically made up for Gilmore Girls. You might think, like with many other things, that it was a pop culture reference to something real. This time, however, it is not! The writers of Gilmore Girls made up a 1944 Yale alumni, Maxwell Kropog, who was said to be the originator of this unit of distance – it was based on his short height.

gilmore-girls-jump-jack-12.jpg

Trivia question: how many Kropogs is it from Rory’s dorm to Logan’s dorm?

Watch this episode of Gilmore Girls on TheWB.com here.

Image: TheWB.com

6 thoughts on “Is a Kropog Real?

• March 29, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Ah, those crazy college kids with their height jokes. When I was an undergrad there was an intermural event known as the Nepoleon basketball tournament, i.e. you had to be shorter than 6 feet tall to be eligible. When I checked in I was told I was more than 6’2″ so not eligible [am actually a little over 5″11′]. Turns out the organizer was only 5’9″ and he had set up the markings on the wall to measure 3 inches taller than the truth. He was trying to convince a sorority girl to date him but she refused to date anyone shorter than 6′ tall. Amazingly enough his ploy worked and the rest of us were let in on the joke and allowed to play.

Oh yeah, the question, think it was 90 Kropogs from dorm to classroom.

• March 29, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Yes, “90 Kropogs or so.” says Logan Huntzberger.

• November 15, 2010 at 10:25 pm

When I saw this episode it made me think of the unit of measure “Smoot.” From wikipedia:

The smoot (pronounced /ˈsmuːt/) is a nonstandard unit of length created as part of an MIT fraternity prank. It is named after Oliver R. Smoot, a fraternity pledge to Lambda Chi Alpha, who in October 1958 lay on the Harvard Bridge (between Boston and Cambridge, Massachusetts), and was used by his fraternity brothers to measure the length of the bridge.

• May 5, 2017 at 4:30 pm

I immediately thought of Smoot also! I was googling this to find out which was first, only to find out the Kropog is fake!
      #smootrocks

• June 7, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Logan Huntzbereger:
    (distance from Branford dorm which was Rory’s, to his dorm, Berkeley) I’d say it’s about 90 kropogogs or so.

• May 24, 2017 at 12:13 pm

I’m really loving the theme/design of your website. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility problems? A number of my blog readers have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome. Do you have any tips to help fix this problem?