The Good Wife 1.06 “Conjugal”
Air Date: November 3, 2009
In the latest episode of The Good Wife, entitled “Conjugal”, we have not one but TWO Gilmore Girls stars. Aside from series regular Matt Czuchry (Logan Huntzberger on Gilmore Girls), we have Emily Bergl (Francie Jarvis on Gilmore Girls) guest starring. Emily is the second guest star from Gilmore Girls to also appear in the series after Katie Walder (Janet Billings on Gilmore Girls), who appeared in the pilot episode .
This episode featured a LOT more of Cary (Matt Czuchry), so we can all cheer for that! He did an excellent job in this episode. Very spunky! I’m actually really beginning to like his character and how competitive he is – it’s a fun combination of disliking him undercutting Alicia (Julianna Margulies) and liking him for his outgoing and flirtatious nature. I loved the scenes between him and and Kalinda (Archie Panjabi) in this episode. The episode focused on the legal firm taking on a pro bono case to appeal the case of a man sent to jail for shooting a cop – though at first they were attempting to get him off on a technicality, Cary and Alicia later focus on getting him off because he’s innocent! Other thoughts:
– Cary isn’t just a mean guy. We see here that he was as easily swayed by the emotional plea of the mother / wife to help her husband.
– At first I thought Cary was undercutting Alicia by suggesting they take the case pro bono, but instead I found that this brought out his sympathetic nature
– Alicia showed a darker side here by asking her husband for help on the case then letting him take the fall when the DA’s office used him as a scapegoat for convicting an innocent man.
– Kalinda had her own ethical battle about helping on a case of a man she was sure was guilty. Seeing her realize her own bias was a great aspect to the episode.
– We are starting to see now how Will (Josh Charles) and Diane (Christine Baranski) are each setting up Alicia & Cary to be the “winner” for the Junior Associate position. I can see this will get heated.
In the episode, Emily Bergl guest starred as Bree, someone who was working with the law firm on the case. I’m not sure if perhaps she’s one of the other associates or has some other role in the film. According to imdb , she is also scheduled to guest star in the November 10th episode of the series.
What did you think of this episode? This was the first time my husband watched the series with me and he loved it! When I told him about it, he was skeptical. But just goes to show you that it’s a very appealing series!!
Image: Eike Schroter/CBS ©2009 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.