Would You Jump?

That’s a question I ask myself every time I watch ‘You Jump, I Jump, Jack‘. Could I jump? I am pretty sure I could climb the scaffolding, but I’m not sure if I would take the leap of faith and jump off. It’s a step into the unknown. Could you jump?

Gilmore Girls You Jump I Jump Jack

In the episode, Rory’s not sure if she could jump either. In fact, Rory’s gut reaction to Logan’s offer was a flat refusal, saying the ‘press’ don’t participate. However, Logan knows his journalism and is able to shoot that down, getting under Rory’s skin by saying she looks like she could use some adventure. That she’s “sheltered.”

“It’ll be fun, it’ll be a thrill. Something stupid, something bad for
you. Just something different. Isn’t this the point of being young? It’s your choice, Ace. People can live a hundred years without really living for a minute. You climb up here with me, it’s one less minute you haven’t lived.”

Perhaps because Logan has heckled her or perhaps because she’s crushing on him, Rory says she’ll do it. I think the real reason is that Logan hit home – Rory does feel sheltered. She’s always been the good girl, the reporter looking from the outside in on the action. She sees Logan as carefree and part of that appeals to her.

Once Rory is up there, she’d lose a lot of face to climb back down. She knows it, and I think part of Rory wants to prove something to herself. And the last moment on the scaffold was that of romance – something that’d make your heart flutter even if the height didn’t! Logan asks Rory if he trusts her, and Rory comes back with the wit, ‘You jump, I jump, Jack’ (a line used many times in Titanic). And, holding hands, they leap (ok, not before Logan tries to psych her out about the test drop)!

Gilmore Girls You Jump I Jump Jack

Here’s the scene where Logan gets Rory to jump:

And here’s another question for you – if the physical leap from the tower was just a representation of Rory making a choice – taking a leap – what could it mean for her?

Watch “Gilmore Girls” ‘You Jump, I Jump, Jack’

Check out Gilmore Girls on TheWB.com here.

Image: TheWB.com

13 thoughts on “Would You Jump?

• February 24, 2009 at 1:02 am

Long time ago, I was still a child, I learned that my step brother-in law has been parachutist. That impressed me so much, that I decided to jump from one story.
    The jumping has a real mysterious connotation in life, when we have some decision to take, we often act as if we were jumping.
    The romantic aspect now, if it were for women, No no matter how high, I’d jump…
    Literary aspect: In the Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, her heroine, Dominique jump over a barriière, and for her father that witness the jump, it reminds him always an act of pure liberty.

• February 24, 2009 at 1:27 am

Your comments about Rory’s motivation seem dead on.

However, the question some fans like me want to know about the mechanics of the episode is if Alexis made the full jump or if there were sufficient editing cutaways to allow for a stunt double to actually fill in for the 80 foot drop. My gut says stunt double because they could not take the risk of injury for one of their co-stars.

Additionally my limited experience with rapelling down cliff faces only half as high is that neophytes are agonizingly slow to take that first step over even when fully supported by the rope crew below and swear like sailors without even realizing it. In this episode, the closeups of Alexis showed a comfort level comparable to someone who had done the stunt dozens of times before. That seems very unlikely.

• February 24, 2009 at 4:15 am

yep it was a stunt double that did the jump – it was on one of the dvd extras.

Would I jump – hell no, Im still trying to work up the corage to go for a hot air balloon ride.

• February 24, 2009 at 10:30 am

Yeah, I didn’t assume it would be Alexis doing the jump. But I think that’s pretty normal since probably they had to do the shot over and over again to get it just the way they wanted.

• February 24, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Your post regarding Rory was spot on in my opinion. That is one of my favorite episodes as well.

• February 25, 2009 at 11:27 am

Of course I wouldn’t jump. I don’t even ski. Live Vicariously! That’s my motto.

• March 9, 2010 at 11:58 am

Arieanna-

Terrific to see that you have been able to retrieve almost all of the old discussions and episode summaries!! [I do notice that the most recent posts on the second time around the episodes have not yet been included]. Figured I would pull up an oldie but goodie to catch everyone else’s attention to this great news!!

• March 9, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Which ones do you notice missing? Nothing should be missing. :(

• March 9, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Hi Arieanna-

My error. When I saw your twitter message I first checked the episode summaries [hip, hip, hooray] and noticed that only some of the subsequent discussions had been linked back to them [like the one I picked for this message]. It is only after seeing your message that I looked again and realized that a chronological archive had been set up which contained all the prior discussions [spectacular to see all the content back!!]. For what it is worth, I think links at the episodes makes it much easier to find past dicussions of each cycle through the episodes but have no idea how much more work this would entail. Great to have the full board back, hope all the past correspondents catch up to the new site.

• March 9, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Thanks for the clarification. The links were broken on the first import – it’s now fixed. And great idea on editing past discussions. It will be some extra work, but I’ll see about getting to it some day. I need to also re-add all the images to discussions – thankfully I still have them all! I don’t own rights to all the candid images I used in the past, so some of those will stay lost. Oh well. It’s the writing that counts, right? ;)

• July 23, 2014 at 10:06 am

I’d totally jump. You only live once, right?

• July 23, 2014 at 11:13 am

If you actually climb to the top, you might as well jump. It’s got to be easier than climbing back down those steps!!

• July 24, 2014 at 2:15 am

Doubt I’d get up there in the first place. I’m not good with heights. Or, more specifically, depths.