Samantha is arrested, after an altercation with a cop, and is given community service. She meets Natalie (Mary-Kate Olsen), a troubled young woman. Sam feels that it’s her duty to help the wayward Natalie turn her life around, in spite of warnings from Andrea that Natalie’s a bad seed who can’t be turned. Meanwhile, even though Todd insists that they’re just friends now, Howard offers advice on how to win back Samantha’s affections.
Samantha Who? Highlights:
- Samantha (Christina Applegate) is the only sober one in the car – Dena (Melissa McCarthy) and Andrea (Jennifer Esposito) are drunk.
- Sam gets nervous when a cop car follows her – what if she did something and can’t remember? So nervous, she speeds away!
- Todd (Barry Watson) can’t help trying to give advice to Sam about how to drop the charges of fleeing the police – but she wants his comfort only. Andrea is working the case.
- Sam flashes on a memory with Todd – of him surprising her with a trip to Paris, but her refusing because the flight had a layover
- Andrea gets Sam’s police record – there are a few things in there, like stealing a Christmas tree. Sam gets community service, which she thinks it’s great (Andrea thinks it’s awful)
- Sam goes to volunteer to help build houses, but they give her the crappy tasks because she’s there for community service.
- At the nail-sorting table is Natalie (Mary-Kate Olsen), a young girl serving her third community service rotation. She’s frustrated that change doesn’t come easy for her (Sam smells a project!) – “Hi, I’m Samantha Newly, and I will be your car! Beep beep”
- Sam takes Natalie to the bar to meet her friends – Sam wants their help to turn Natalie’s life around & get her a job. Probably good timing, as Natalie steals from them!
- Sam goes to speak with Chace, her old boss, about a job… for Natalie. Funny scene.
(Photo Copyright © 2008 ABC Studios / Bob D’Amico)
Recap & video clips continue below…
- Regina (Jean Smart) & Howard (Kevin Dunn) go to visit Sam, but she’s not home. Howard jumps at the chance to help Todd fix the sink.
- Dena and Sam tell Natalie about getting her a job interview - Natalie is so thankful she returns (most of) the money
- Howard tries to encourage Todd to get back together with Sam
- Sam & Dena come to realize Natalie is probably shoplifting while they wait for her to pick out an interview outfit
- Natalie, offended at hints that she stole the blazer, tries to walk away from them. Natalie is frustrated to be cast off and mistrusted. Sam gives her a hug and apologizes.
- Howard encourages Todd not to try to “fix” Sam. He proves this in how he tries to pacify Regina, when she comes back frustrated about not finding saffron.
- Sam is having trouble letting Natalie answer her own interview questions. But Chace hires her anyway.
- Sam notices the security tag still attached to Natalie’s blazer, so tells Chace she (Natalie) quits and reams Natalie out in the elevator. The receipt Natalie waved was for frozen yogurt!
- Dena is outside with the police. Sam decides to prove to Natalie that not everyone will bail on her, so takes the blame. Dena & Sam are taken to jail.
- Andrea comes to bail out her friends, and to perk Sam back up. To take credit for changing her own life – it was more than just the car that made her good.
- Sam realizes that the only person you can really change is yourself.
- In the morning, Todd wakes up excited and runs to Sam’s room. She’s not there. But he had a surprise planned for her – to see Paris in the morning (via art he hung)
- So frustrated to make an effort and for Sam to not be there, Todd tears down the Paris scenes (Question: do you think Todd assumes Sam is with another guy?)
- What is Sam doing? Community service, picking up trash on the highway. With Dena!
For more Samantha Who? information, visit the Samantha Who? Season 2 summary page.