Samantha Who? 2.01 "So I Think I Can Dance"
Air Date: October 13, 2008
Recap & Discussion [Spoilers & Photos]
Samantha Who? Episode Highlights:
- Samantha (Christina Applegate) decides it’s time to leave the nest, and Regina (Jean Smart) cries like she’s losing a teenage daughter (“Make sure she uses condoms!” she says to Frank (Tim Russ))
- Sam strips down and dances naked in her apartment, then realizes she’s not alone… uh, Todd (Barry Watson)! He hasn’t quite moved out yet.
- Howard (Kevin Dunn) and Regina are training for the annual Walnut Valley Club dance contest – Regina is desperate to beat Paula Drake (Cybill Shepherd)
- Sam used to dance! And was talented too!
- Andrea offers to do some pro bono work for Todd to help him get paid for a wedding he shot – in order to have money to move out of Sam’s place
- Sam manages to look only slightly brain damaged when meeting Paula, Regina’s “nemesis”. Paula is quite mean, calling the Newley’s failures.
- Coming to the defense of her mother, Sam decides to replace Howard and dance as Regina’s partner.
- Sam tells Dena (Melissa McCarthy) about the competition, and Sam’s boss / Dena’s boyfriend Chase Chapman (Rick Hoffman) wants to enter too. Dena has her heart set on being on the tech crew, though.
- Andrea questions why Sam is going back to “the sticks” after just leaving! Sam flashes on what a “great” daughter she was before in a Christmas nativity scene competition (lol, Dena was a judge!)
Copyright © 2008 ABC Studios / Mitch Haddad
- When Sam shows of her dance moves in the bar, Andrea soon realizes something is amiss. The next day, a nervous Sam tries to reproduce the Broadway dance moves from the video… with sad results.
- Sam, sad that the one good thing from her previous life was lost, asks Regina to push her to greatness once again. Regina becomes a drill sergeant.
- The bride unhappy with Todd’s photos is judgmental of Andrea’s life choice to be single. And it makes Andrea sad.
- Todd, while telling the bride the flaw was her, not the photos, rants about Sam not noticing him.
- Regina has been secretly rehearsing with Howard, which is painful for Sam to see. She was enjoying the time with her “mommy”, something Regina finds hard to believe.
- Andrea successfully got Todd his money, and the two “almost” bond
- Paula Drake has a pro partner this year, Matteo Romero (Mark Ballas), 3 time international ballroom champion (uh, unfair!)
- Regina and Howard take the floor for the cha-cha, and Sam walks in and shares a pinky-wave with her mom. It prompts Regina to tell Howard to hurt himself.
- Sam tells Regina that they’ll have lots of time for more fights – “what kid leaves home after only a year?”, she jokes, in reference to her starting-over point.
- Thankfully, Sam came ready with her matching dress and dances with Regina. Though she thinks it’s going ok, the view the judges get is less so. But hey, she had fun!
- Sam was wrong about her amnesia – not all good things were lost. Some were there to discover or be re-learned. And others have always been there.
So, what did you think about the season 2 opener for Samantha Who? Do you think mother and daughter found a lost bond here, or perhaps a bond they never had? And what of love? Does Todd truly want to be with Sam, and will Andrea find it?
You can also check out another recap for this episode here.