Gilmore Girls 1.03 "Kill Me Now"

Gilmore Girls 1.03 "Kill Me Now"
Original Air Date: October 19, 2000 (Recap date: November 9, 2007)
Photos & Discussion

Gilmore Girls Episode Recap:

Dinner at the Gilmore house. And we learn of Emily’s tendency to fire her domestic help. And learn of Lorelai the first, Richard’s mother. Rory tells them she must join a sport – Emily brightens at the word ‘golf’. Emily suggests Richard teach Rory – he glares down the table at Emily.

"You can use your mother’s old golf clubs. They’re upstairs gathering dust, along with the rest of her potential."

Emily accuses Lorelai of being afraid that Rory will enjoy herself. And Emily baits her into a situation where, because Lorelai is certain Rory won’t have fun, she appears to be as controlling as Emily herself. Lorelai glares at the suggestion that she and her mother are alike. Rory hopes she’ll like it… no way Lorelai will go!

"I’d rather stick something sharp in my ear than go to the club with you. I’d rather slide down a banister covered in razor blades and land in a pool of alcohol than go to the club with you. I’d rather eat my own hand than go to the club with you. I’d rather get my face surgically altered to look like that lunatic witch lady with the lion head than go to the club with you…."

Ah, the purple tulle. The big wedding for the twin girls – oh, how their poor mother had to suffer with those two bickering! Lorelai woos the mother with her amazing customer service (I’d love to stay at Lorelai’s Inn!). Michel has his own great line to Lorelai, as she tries to chat:

"To me, you are the teacher in the Charlie Brown cartoon"

Priceless. The twins are marrying twins.

Richard is teaching Rory golf – Rory wearing the silly hat from Emily. Rory is not quite a natural at the sport.

Jackson brings Sookie blueberries – not quite what she needs for strawberry shortcake. Michel snuck a post-it onto one of the twins so he can tell them apart. Sookie poses the age-old question: would it be cheating if they accidentally slept with the wrong twin?

Rory and Richard are bonding. Rory takes an avid interest in what Richard does, to his surprise. Rory shares her desires to travel, including to Fez. Rory shares her dream of backpacking through Europe with her mom. Richard brags all about Rory to the other grandfathers in the steam room, who have troubled teenagers not angels like Rory.

Rory listens to the gossip in the women’s sauna. And has a private smile over knowing, from her grandfather, some inside info on the ‘odious’ woman who is there.

Sean Gunn appears as the Swan Handler. Michel has a fear of swans after an attack by them as a boy.

Rory divulges all the women’s gossip to Richard. The other men join them and Richard proudly touts her accomplishments. Rory is very happy.

Lorelai meets up with Rory and is so certain it was a bad day that she becomes a little confrontational when she realizes Rory enjoyed herself. But she is actually a bit hurt.

Richard calls the Inn to speak with Rory, just to chat. Lorelai looks on with sadness. Back at home, Lorelai pesters Rory about Richard’s call. She suggests to Rory that her golf day could count as a dinner, and they could skip this Friday. Rory tries to tell her mom she wants to go without being that overt. Lorelai accuses Rory of stretching out her sweater. She’s attacking Rory. They have a ‘whose boobs are bigger’ spat. Lorelai throws as much of a tantrum as if she were the teenager, not Rory.

Lorelai realizes she was being immature when later talking with Sookie. Rory having fun made Emily right. And that she was trying to undermine Rory’s relationship with her grandparents. Lorelai says that she left that whole lifestyle and is surprised Rory would gravitate to it.

Jackson spots Sookie trying to ‘buy somebody else’s strawberries’ and they have a lovers quarrel. Well, cook and produce guy squabble? Sookie tries to chase after him as he runs away.

At the wedding at the Inn, Lorelai apologizes to Rory. Lorelai says she can’t relate to the bonding that Rory is doing with her parents. Lorelai even apologizes for keeping Rory away from them for so long. Rory sympathizes when they see an overbearing mom and daughter at the wedding. She thanks Lorelai for not being like that.

"If it makes you feel better, I think I got a fungus from the steam room"

"It does, thank you"

Lorelai brings Sookie’s ‘blueberry shortcake’ to the next Gilmore dinner. Emily rubs it in that she was right about Rory. Richard has a first edition book for Rory. All but Lorelai go to look – it’s an interest she does not share, and therefore a life she does not feel comfortable in. She’s the odd one out – the least ‘Gilmore’ of the Gilmore’s.

Discussion Questions:

• Why is Lorelai hurt that Rory is enjoying time with her grandfather? Is it the relationship she never had with him? Or that she is no longer the only family for Rory?
  • Do Sookie and Jackson realize yet that they like each other romantically? Or is it simply that they are eccentric?
  • Why do you think Emily & Richard never tried to seek out Lorelai & Rory after Lorelai left?
  • What do you think Rory would be like if Emily had raised her? Like Lorelai? Or like Emily herself? Or would she be the same?

Tune in on Monday as we resume watching Season 1 of Gilmore Girls!

Images: TheWB.com

Tags: , , , , , , ,

22 thoughts on “Gilmore Girls 1.03 "Kill Me Now"

• November 9, 2007 at 1:49 pm

• I think Lorelai is hurt about Rory enjoying the life she hated, it tells Lorelai that Rory isn’t just like her and that hurts. Rory is supposed to be the new and improved mini-me of Lorelai (and Rory getting along with her grandparents is not supposed to be part of that). I also think that she realizes that she is no longer the only family Rory has, that is probably the hardest part for Lorelai to deal with.
    • They would never seek out Lorelai and Rory because if they did would convey the idea that they were sorry or ok with the way things are. They are too proud, besides if they wait (which they did) for Lorelai and Rory to come to them then they can call the shots (which they do – Friday night dinners, and so on).
    • This early in the show I would have said that she would be like Lorelai but a little toned down if she was raised by Emily. Now if you asked this quest at the end of everything, I think I say she would be the same. By the end of the series Rory grows to be a combination of way Emily wants and what Lorelai wants; which I think is a really good thing.

• November 9, 2007 at 2:16 pm

There’s never going to be a how a witty and sharp as the Gilmore Girls. Gosh, I miss that show! My daughter and I watched it together. Tuesdays just are missing something now.

• November 9, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Lauren looks so hot in the purple =D

• November 9, 2007 at 5:31 pm

Rory is soo cutely dressed up during her golfing w/ Richard

• November 9, 2007 at 6:13 pm

old GG, forever the best time of this show :|

• November 9, 2007 at 6:59 pm

I love that part of Rory and Lorelai are fight about whose boobs are bigger.I was laugh when Sookie walk staright to food store and not pay attention to hit from the man(who ride bike then fall on the street.Poor him.Sookie and Jackson fight over and run & follow around the street make me laugh.Love Lorelai’s outfit purple.

• November 9, 2007 at 7:12 pm

Number 1.Cuz Lorelai think maybe they will like Rory better than her.She look sad when Rory chat with her grandfather on the phone at the INN,not Lorelai and she get hurt from them.
    Number 2.Cuz they are worry about maybe if Lorelai and Rory not want come over their house for Friday night dinner or dont want hang out with them,but they want relationship with them.
    Number 3.Emily dont want lost Rory again,like what happen with Lorelai-when she was 16,get pregent,write note then left them at the house and Emily was lost Lorelai.That why Emily afraid if maybe she will lost them again or not.

• November 10, 2007 at 2:18 am

Yep that was really the best time. Rory is really not like Lorelai. Her life will never be like Lorelais. We will never see it because they cancelled the show. We love GG and we will never know how Rory will be with 32. I miss a lot of seasons. Going through all ages with Rory. She will never get pregnant that young like Lorelai. She wants to be independet and working and be free. She’s still so young. But how her life will be with 32 … who knows? Will she be like Lorelai in season 1? Or will she be different? ASP was right. “The wonderful thing about a family show is that until everybody is dead in the family there is always a story to tell.” Or DP said:”But we wanted to break ‘Bonanza’ and ‘Gunsmokes’ record? 16 seasons – than we would see Rorys life all her steps and Lorelais too and stars hollows too. Why don’t make they ASP season 7 into a movie and then go on with their season 8,9,10,11…? I love the last pictures and Michel is great too and Sookie, Kirk, Jackson, Babette, Patty, Lane … I miss them … GG is the best show 4-Ever and ever and ever…

• November 10, 2007 at 2:23 am

Oh and I agree to the title… If we never get more GG seasons I say “Kill me now” too. Bring GG back!

• November 10, 2007 at 6:48 am

Forgive me that I am lacking in my Geography Bee skills, but is there really a country called “Fez” and where is it?

One of my favorite things about viewing the show by DVD is the scene subtitles within each episode. Added laughs.

This episode had one of my favorite lines:

“if there was a crazy team, you’d be the captain” or something like that. I used it at work once and got some glares and guffaws. :-)

• November 10, 2007 at 7:51 am

One of my favorite scenes are when Lorelai and Rory are sitting at the reception table watching the little girl getting scolded by her mother, telling her not to move I just spent $500.00 on that dress. And, Rory states, “Mom, thank you for not making wear those dresses.” Lorelai said that she hated wearing those dresses and saying she did most of the screaming and Rory saying that does not look like you….Then Rory hooks her arms through her mothers and Lorelai kisses her on the forehead and they look at the wedding reception. And, We Are Family is playing. I think, if Rory was raised by Richard and Emily, they would of turned out like the twins, we saw in the episode, spoiled and obnoxious. I really think, it surprized and scared Lorelai that her daughter would really like spending time with her father, talking about books, travelling, and somewhat trivial things.
    I am not sure, Lorelai looks for common ground between her and her parents unless confronted in doing so. Like when Emily asks her why she they can not have the same kind of relationship that her and Rory have in the episode where they go to the spa and try to spend the day together. Lorelai fights so much to keep her independance, almost to a fault. So much, it causes her much unhappiness. In the spa episode, she says maybe we should start off with something small, instead of spending a whole day together. And, just think, Rory spent a whole day with her father and enjoyed it. And, Lorelai could not even spend the whole day with her mother at the spa. Even though, Emily was driving her crazy, never shutting up and following her everywhere….Just love Lorelai’s purple dress too. It is so sharp and deep purple. It brings out her dark hair, and blue eyes.

• November 10, 2007 at 5:00 pm

This isn’t related to the episode, but I just saw that Norman Mailer died and the first thing I thought was Normal Mailer, I’m pregnant!

• November 11, 2007 at 9:54 am

I’ve been thinking why the parents Richard and Emily never really searched for Lorelai. I know, they are extremely proud individuals. But, I also think, they were extremely hurt. Emily did not get out of bed for a month, stated in another episode. And, Lorelai, stated that it was just was easier to stay away. The parents are sooo critical of Lorelai and don’t really listen to her, like they listen to Rory. Because, there was soooo much hurt, that they don’t listen to or care as much….So much hurt and being sooo proud….Some people, once you cross that line, that is it: there is no forgiveness. That’s just it, done….Through the years, and the realationship with Rory, I think, they were finding their way back to each other.

• November 12, 2007 at 9:37 am

The emerging relationship between Rory & her Grandpa is glorius…Richard was hesitant going in but soon discovered his joy in Rory’s company.

As for Lorelei’s relationship w/her parents. I realize how controlling they were and still can be, but I felt she left no room for forgivness w/them. While she hates to admit it, she is a lot like Emily in subtle ways.

• November 12, 2007 at 3:21 pm

I agree with you Pamela….
    I feel that Lorelai is afraid to have a normal relationship with her parents….many episodes do show that she does share this bond with her mother and father and they love her just as much as she loves and needs them, but because of the past events they do not forgive easily. I feel that Emily does forgive Lorelai in her heart, but she is so hurt that her daughter ran away so young. Emily regrets not being in Lorelai’s and Rory’s lifes earlier on and i beleive that even though Lorelai will never admit it, she regrets not having her mother in her and rorys life in those earlier years.

• July 16, 2008 at 1:59 pm

actually, several seasons later it is revealed that Emily actually went to the woman.. uh lets see if I remember this well…

*Spoilers!*

There was this woman lorelai went to with Rory immediatly after she ran away. I don’t really recall which episode but Lorelai and Rory go to her to some wedding-esque thing and Emily decides to tag along. It is then revealed that Emily went to this woman to… check how things where going I believe…

I think emily simply was too stubborn to ask her to come back and Lorelai too stubborn to allow them into their lives, even though they both wanted to.

• July 26, 2008 at 12:41 pm

I think that it is the episode of GG I love the most. Time is suddenly suspended between two generations. One day, Lorelai, sixteen, decided to go away from home. Why, we don’t really know, for has anyone ever known why we do the adolescence crises? It must be some discontinuous point in the curve of the equation of life: The fact is, before the crisis we were something, somewhere in the curve, and after that we have done a kind of leap, and we are somewhere else. And like if there was an asymptotic reality between the past and the present, it’s impossible to go back again.
    Yes, but what happens if two children left home together and come back together? Rory didn’t know then she was living home, for, even if she had had the possibility to know, and if things had gone rightly, it wouldn’t have been her home at all, but the new human cellule one: a knew family of her own made by her own father and mother.
    The scene about the boobs may seem ridiculous, but in it Lorelai is the adolescent that left home pregnant, suffering in her body as well as many women do. And in some extraordinary reversal situation, it is what caused that suffering, focused in the objects of comparison that can say “you’re insane!”
    Rory, the fetus that had not choice sixteen years before – which by the way was her mother’s age then – acts here as an adult that can accept the reality. She actualizes it objectively when she runs away from the silly argument and goes home. For she loves her mother, nothing can change that, even what she has just discovered while sharing her grand parent’s affections. She already knows that “all that shines is not gold”, and that you can find fungus everywhere. And she has one mother only, her true home during nine months, a mother that nourished and protected her from a world too pink and too much artificial that can be sum up as bras for women, and silly dress for girls.

This episode is also a marvelous piece of art. Everything is in the eyes of the characters, chiefly between Lorelai and Rory. Both have expressive marvelous blue eyes. It’s impossible to watch the close-up scenes of Rory’s eyes and Lorelai’eyes and not to fall in love with the show, the characters, and the artists. They give us so much with eyes expressions! The window of the soul expressed through the eyes that enforce all the acting, all the body expressions, all movements, all gestures, magnifying all their significances, much more than language can do. For, language is always a choice, like the choice made by a painter. But the body is always in the acting. And even if it pictures a fiction, a choice in the reality, it gives always more than that. Here, nothing is out of tune, everything is right.

We also have another theme here. While in so many other shows the beauty of women is stressed with always the same arguments of long legs and so one, here we have the beauty enshrined in two jewels that shines with modesty. Men can love it, and for once, women can feel totally at ease.

• Pingback: What Kind of Sport Would Rory Enjoy? : Gilmore Girls News - All about the Gilmore Girls (October 5, 2000 - May 15, 2007). Keeping GG alive, and news on what the GG cast is up to now.

• Pingback: Why Does Rory Dream of Fez? : Gilmore Girls News - All about the Gilmore Girls (October 5, 2000 - May 15, 2007). Keeping GG alive, and news on what the GG cast is up to now.

• April 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Today my Grandpa was over, and saw my Wii and wondered what it was. My dad was in the room too and suggested I show him how it works. So, I put in “Wii Sports”, and went to golf. So he ended up playing a round of it with me (he won). I imeadently thought of this episode when Rory went golfing with Richard (no one else in the room got my “ahh haa” moment). Well it wasn’t real golf, just in Wii form, but…. Yeah… That’s about it.
    Life’s Short, Talk Fast.

• April 18, 2017 at 12:37 pm

OK, third episode. I note that the first Lorelai is mentioned, but in the past tense. Also Kirk who is not-Kirk,

– Why is Lorelai hurt that Rory is enjoying time with her grandfather? Is it the relationship she never had with him? Or that she is no longer the only family for Rory?

I think it’s both. It becomes more apparent in later episodes that Lorelai was close to her father once. Also, Rory is Lorelai’s only family in many ways, so it’s hard that her parents are there for Rory but not really for her. Also because Emily needled her so much about it.

– Do Sookie and Jackson realize yet that they like each other romantically? Or is it simply that they are eccentric?

I start to pick it up more in the next episode. But the strawberry chase is funny.

– Why do you think Emily & Richard never tried to seek out Lorelai & Rory after Lorelai left?

Too upset? Too humiliated? And also, an awareness of Lorelai’s stubbornness.

– What do you think Rory would be like if Emily had raised her? Like Lorelai? Or like Emily herself? Or would she be the same?

The trouble is… I’ve seen season six. However, I think it’s actually really hard to tell that sort of ‘what if’. I think, as things stand, Rory is closer to them than Lorelai, but I’m aware from later episodes (even in season 1) that they do also treat Rory differently at this point.